• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store launches First Run program allowing devs to get 100% revenue in exchange for exclusivity

Epic Games has introduced a new program for third-party developers on its store. Its main bonus is a 100% revenue share for temporary exclusivity.
egs-first-run.jpg

What is Epic First Run program?​

• According to the official announcement, the Epic First Run exclusivity program is aimed at third-party developers publishing their titles on the Epic Games Store.
  • Participants won’t have to share revenue with the company during the first six months of exclusivity on the platform. After that, devs will have to pay a standard 12% fee.
  • It is worth noting that the Early Access period also counts towards the six-month exclusivity term.
  • For its part, Epic Games is committed to featuring exclusive titles during sales and other relevant campaigns and presenting them with a special exclusivity badge on the store.
  • Developers can also exit the First Run program at any time, returning to the 88/12 revenue split and being able to sell their games outside the Epic Games Store.

How can developers participate in the program?​

The First Run program is open for:

• New games launching on or after October 16, 2023;
  • Titles not previously released on any other third-party PC store or included in a subscription service on PC;
  • Games without a pre-existing exclusivity deal with the Epic Games Store.
On top of that, participants can’t sell their titles on other platforms like Steam or Miscrosoft Store during the six-month exclusivity period. The only exceptions are developers’ own websites, publishers’ stores, and Epic’s keyless redemption program, which allows selling games on selected stores such as Humble Store or Green Man Gaming.

Registration will open on October 16 through Epic’s self-publishing tools.

Pelta88

Are we talking "timed" exclusivity or "life time" exclusivity? Two very different beasts in this instance.

Are we talking "timed" exclusivity or "life time" exclusivity? Two very different beasts in this instance.
Says in the article that's it's temporary exclusivity. It's also mentioned in my OP.
Participants won’t have to share revenue with the company during the first six months of exclusivity on the platform. After that, devs will have to pay a standard 12% fee
On top of that, participants can’t sell their titles on other platforms like Steam or Miscrosoft Store during the six-month exclusivity period.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Hey Tim, make your launcher optional and I'll buy from your store.

Giving exclusivity to a launcher that I won't use means getting zero sales from me.

dottme

I feel developers probably prefer the payment in advance. I wonder if they still get a negotiated payment or this is the only advantage now for being exclusive to epic.

Madonis

I can tolerate timed or limited exclusivity, since I understand some indie developers really need some extra compensation. I don't like indefinite or permanent exclusivity though.

AGRacing

I don't hate Epic. I've had a steam account since it was forced on me when I bought Half Life 2 at launch. This was very controversial at the time... and it is the foundation on which the entire steam platform has been built. You can go back and see this quite easily.

Epic has also "forced" their platform on Fortnite players in the exact same way.... but to their credit they have continuously offer free games (some of them quite well liked and high quality ) to grow a library on the platform.

If a developer takes this deal and you dont like it... your problem is with the developer.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Epic always being sooooo pro-consumers... Gotta take down steam no matter what, right? Also fuck all those small resellers too, no body care about them

Killer8

On top of that, participants can’t sell their titles on other platforms like Steam or Miscrosoft Store during the six-month exclusivity period

I guess that settles it then: Alan Wake II is coming to Steam in summer 2024.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't hate Epic. I've had a steam account since it was forced on me when I bought Half Life 2 at launch. This was very controversial at the time... and it is the foundation on which the entire steam platform has been built. You can go back and see this quite easily.

Epic has also "forced" their platform on Fortnite players in the exact same way.... but to their credit they have continuously offer free games (some of them quite well liked and high quality ) to grow a library on the platform.

If a developer takes this deal and you dont like it... your problem is with the developer.
You're missing THE big problem here, Steam isn't chasing developers for exclusivity and Valve has never prohibited any publisher from releasing their games elsewhere. Epic on the other hand is doing the exact opposite.
I wouldn't have a problem if Epic was building it's launcher with their own games like, IDK, Unreal fuckin Tournament for example? But we all know they are not interested in this anymore...

Mr Hyde

Epic games store feels so unnecessary. It's also an awful experience browsing on the site with little to no value in the games they offer. Just feels so barebones compared to Steam and GoG. Didn't even bother making an account.

GHG

A game that valve made.

Nobody is complaining about fortnite being exclusive to the EGS on the PC side. You're missing the point entirely and at this stage these kinds of arguments are disingenuous.

It's a shitty storefront, it's bottom of the barrel in terms of featureset and most consumers don't want to use it. Instead of them putting their resources towards developing the storefront/launcher in order to entice people into using it by making the whole experience a more pleasurable one, or even developing their own games a-la fortnite (*cough* unreal tournament anyone? *cough*), they are instead using console style tactics which have no place in the PC world, particularly from a storefront perspective.

May it crash and burn.

Last edited:

AGRacing

You're missing THE big problem here, Steam isn't chasing developers for exclusivity and Valve has never prohibited any publisher from releasing their games elsewhere. Epic on the other hand is doing the exact opposite.
I wouldn't have a problem if Epic was building it's launcher with their own games like, IDK, Unreal fuckin Tournament for example? But we all know they are not interested in this anymore...
They've never had competition worthy enough for the effort. Epic leveraged the popularity of Fortnite to become an instant threat and then kept attacking. My suggestion for Valve would be not to hang on too tight to 2004. They clearly have their loyalists... but there are many with a growing library of free games that don't mind using both platforms.

VN1X

Banned
Wow, this screams all kinds of desperation from Epic, lmao. Funny to see anything like this when the launcher is still as barebones as can be.
Yeah I'd be championing them if it weren't for the fact that the EGS client doesn't hold a candle to Steam.

Obviously Steam has a head start so I don't envy competitors but this type of market movement from Epic only lessens any goodwill people might have for them, not strengthen it.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
an instant threat
No their not lmao. I'm not gonna do your homework but look at the numbers, they are bad, like REALLY REALLY bad. And you didn't addressed my point.
I have no issue with Ubi, Microsoft Store or Blizzard. Guess the difference with Epic.

Fabieter

I like steam but I never had a problem buying from other stores. In fact I would rather have old valve back so I can have more games from them and less features. They are doing great to make the platform better but imo they lost the focus whats the most important thing --> games.

Fabieter

That's different, that's the only exclusivity I can accept since they funded the project, it wouldn't exist without them iirc.

This so much. I would like valve to do the same. Fund more and more aaa games in the current climate where its more risky than ever.

Top Bottom