• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic moving to Valve/Riot-like game approach, has 90+ people on Fortnite

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Valve have released a game every year for the past 10 years.

Only if you include games which they outright bought, like counterstrike and dota. Those games were practically designed and built for them already.
The last game they made that was one of their own franchises was portal 2, in 2011.

NBtoaster

Only if you include games which they outright bought, like counterstrike and dota. Those games were practically designed and built for them already.
The last game they made that was one of their own franchises was portal 2, in 2011.

The games they 'bought' would be very different or non existant without them. They are Valve games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

There's an argument to be made for CS:GO to an extent as it was HPE's game originally but Dota 2 was pieced together from the ground up in Source. The fact that Valve had a detailed blueprint to build from doesn't really negate the work that went into and continues to go into development.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The games they 'bought' would be very different or non existant without them. They are Valve games.

Counter strike and dota is not all that different from their predecessors.

But you are right that they are now valve games. They bought them.

There's an argument to be made for CS:GO to an extent as it was HPE's game originally but Dota 2 was pieced together from the ground up in Source. The fact that Valve had a detailed blueprint to build from doesn't really negate the work that went into and continues to go into development.

Sure, but the gameplay formula is lifted straight from the original Dota. The success of Dota lies not in the technical work that is done on it, but the gameplay formula.

Anteater

Nvidia should publish pc exclusive games. Oh mods please unjunior me.

Sounds like a better idea than those hentai tech demos they made, you could've made a thread on that!

"The core Gears values are really tied to being big event-based, single-player console games with awesome cover mechanics and other things that really didn't translate into the future approach we were taking with online games, and competitive and cooperative multiplayer. Because we weren't planning on building any more Gears games we were just going to let that sit on the shelf for a decade or more, in case it had any future value to us."

Interesting the direction they chose to take, but I think there's been enough of those sp event-based games anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sure, but the gameplay formula is lifted straight from the original Dota. The success of Dota lies not in the technical work that is done on it, but the gameplay formula.

But considering both IceFrog and Eul work at Valve and were involved with Dota 2 from its inception (with IceFrog in particular being hired specifically to spearhead it; Eul was already at Valve), is there really an argument to be made that it isn't a "Valve game"? Would you say that CS:S isn't a Valve game just because it's a remake of CS:CZ's MP within the Source engine? If your criteria for being a Valve game being a Valve game is that it needs to have no outside lineage then you're aligning yourself with the crazy people who consider Portal a not-Valve-game because it uses the basic concept of portals as a traversal and puzzle-solving mechanism first demonstrated in Narbacular Drop. ;)

Wasn't Fortnite originally a tower defense game?

And now it's going to be a MOBA?

Isn't a tower defense game, crossed with a MOBA... a real time strategy game?

I'm curious to see Valve's next game that uses narrative. I assume they keep those writers employed for a reason! Fuck DOTA 2!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

I'm going to assume you haven't played Dota2.

I'm curious to see Valve's next game that uses narrative. I assume they keep those writers employed for a reason! Fuck DOTA 2!

Valve/Riot model doesn't equal to being a Dota-like game. They mean their business model, which is Game as a Service. Last time Sweeney talked about Fortnite he said it's going to be sorta like Minecraft meets L4D. The former, because you build stuff, the latter because you fight against zombies as a team. So yeah, the original gameplay vision is probably still in place.

Fadobo

It was announced at a Minecraft-like game that features defense / survival mechanisms. Not sure if it goes MOBA now, but it's pretty much safe to say it is going to be free-to-play with some character buying mechanic.

To me it sounds like it jumped from one hype-train to another, but I hoped it would've jumped on the Day-Z train instead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's a 3D Terraria game.

vocab

Dota 2 is a 1:1 faithful port with modern improvements. Thats all it ever needed to suceed. Cs go is some fucked up counter strike game that will never be faithfully created on the source engine.

Top Bottom