• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: Next gen will be a "substantial leap over current gen"

orioto

Good Art™
I love how people are estimating things with a gif.. that could be any resolution and any iq...

The best is how people claim this is not doable on PS4 when other people where saying it wasn't really different from a PS3 game at first.. People and their eyes.. Random!

My take on next gen. We'll be slightly frustrated if the whole launch is about better iq, better models etc... Cause in the end what makes game more impressive is not the resources contest, but more the way thei're used. What will create a real difference is the cumulated effect of modern shaders/techs tricks and the smart use of it.

With what they have in their box, smart devs will be able to dupe us into something way more next gen than it is. I mean, look at Gears of War. It was very probably way more impressive than the 360 was able and known at this time. Cause they specifically used constraints to make it look like something amazing for the time. Same for the epic game on smartphone.

I always see talk about the straight power of next gen consoles and what they can do compared to pc etc.. When it will really be about smart graphic designers and coders in the end. I bet with all that resources available, some of them will be able to trick us into cgi/reality aspect and people will notice the difference, believe me.

Jinko

Think its pretty obvious there will be a substantial leap, anyone used to PC games will know what to expect (just don't expect too much at the same time)

eso76

Yeah, substantial means nothing honestly.
I was playing crysis 2 on PC months ago (8800 GT back then, now I have a gtx460) and I know someone would consider it a 'substantial' leap from the x360 version, thanks to much better IQ, res, textures and AF.
Indeed the difference was very aapparent, but it's certainly not a generation-worth leap.
I guess we'll see soon enough though.

Krabardaf

It's 2005 all over again.

I understand this argument has been used in the past, but I don't believe the situation is the same now.
We've reached a level of realism that is becoming enough for most people. Graphics are less and less in the way of immersion, we're able to depict scenes in a somewhat realist fashion.
Credibility of a non cartoon game is more and more achievable.

There are still major issues, but mostly in the animation, IA and sound department, not so much on the visual level.

pixlexic

Banned
Gemüsepizza;47706719 said:
Why? Those games will be out in a couple of months...

Because that's how you build hype. It always happens with Sony and ms. It happened last gen and the gen before that. Sony has been the worst by far and I am a Sony fanboy.

Sony had target renders on the E3 press conference in May 2005. This was 1 and a half year before the US/Japan launch of the PS3 and almost 2 years before the European PS3 launch. We have a very different situation now, the PS4 will launch this year. Games will have been in development for 2-3 years then. There won't be any target renders.

Yeah, substantial means nothing honestly.
I was playing crysis 2 on PC months ago (8800 GT back then, now I have a gtx460) and I know someone would consider it a 'substantial' leap from the x360 version, thanks to much better IQ, res, textures and AF.
Indeed the difference was very aapparent, but it's certainly not a generation-worth leap.
I guess we'll see soon enough though.

There's so much more than IQ and Textures.

Higher poly characters and better lighting are just about a generational leap forward as we've seen in some demos and PC mods/games already.

Jinko

I understand this argument has been used in the past, but I don't believe the situation is the same now.
We've reached a level of realism that is becoming enough for most people. Graphics are less and less in the way of immersion, we're able to depict scenes in a somewhat realist fashion.
Credibility of a non cartoon game is more and more achievable.

There are still major issues, but mostly in the animation, IA and sound department, not so much on the visual level.

Agree visually diminishing returns will become more obvious, animation and physics is where next gen really should be focusing its attention IMO.

I hope more emphasis is placed on AI, and gameplay techniques then simply pretty textures.

So do I, but capitalism doesn't work that way. Are films putting more empahsis on plot, characterization and ideas, or are we seeing more and more nonsensical films with lots of special effects? There's your answer as to what most devs are going to do next gen.

Fabrik

Banned
Anything less than Star Wars 1313 or that U4 demo and I'll be disappointed and in no hurry to upgrade. Unless a groundbreaking game comes along.

Top Bottom