• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EpicNameBro working on Dark Souls II strategy guide, thinks it's better than DkS1

tokkun

Even without a financial incentive, it is easy to understand how getting exclusive access to a highly anticipated title would affect your ability to judge it objectively. Although your intentions may be completely pure, it is natural that you could get caught up in the excitement of the situation.

This sort of thing concerns me when it comes to journalistic outlets & exclusive reviews; when you are talking about a passionate fan who is unused to that level of access, you should probably be even more careful.

Since this is ENB and Dark Souls 2 we're talking about here I don't think there's anything to worry about.

If he says it's improved I'll take his word on it. Regardless I'll be seeing for myself when the game releases.

Since ENB is writing the guide it's actually kind of on my radar now. If he puts some lore discussion into the guide, I might pick it up after a playthrough or two.

My hype levels can no longer be measured by human means.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Regardless of how objective one tries to be, special treatment colors your opinions in one way or another whether you like it or not. So with that in mind, ENB's opinion here doesn't mean as much as it would if he wasn't involved with Fromsoft in some way.

Buuuuuuuut his opinion still means a hell of a lot. He still has a reputation to manage after the game is out, so if he's not being genuine and doesn't think DkS2 is actually that good, he easily could've stayed silent on that front. This isn't the same as some random dev saying that his game is better than blowjobs. Dude is being genuine. Arguing otherwise is kind of silly.

Shengar

Haha hey everyone I'm working on a strategy guide for a game but you know what? The game sucks so don't buy it and don't buy my strategy guide. Nothing against the guy, but c'mon GAF.
He have reputation to bet, and that's mean a lot with Souls Community.
Even without a financial incentive, it is easy to understand how getting exclusive access to a highly anticipated title would affect your ability to judge it objectively. Although your intentions may be completely pure, it is natural that you could get caught up in the excitement of the situation.

This sort of thing concerns me when it comes to journalistic outlets & exclusive reviews; when you are talking about a passionate fan who is unused to that level of access, you should probably be even more careful.

Now this is much better way to see it, not just a simple "He working on it, so he must be lying". I don't believe ENB will lying, but I agree that this sort of thing can easily caught anyone on hype and delude their ability to think objectively.

Soriku

No nothing against the guy. Obviously he will be pimping his hard work, my problem is with people on GAF believing that this is anything more than marketing.

So you're saying he doesn't actually think this? There are a lot ways he could've worded himself like "fans won't be disappointed" like Veggy said in this thread.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
No nothing against the guy. Obviously he will be pimping his hard work, my problem is with people on GAF believing that this is anything more than marketing.

People believe him because of his previous works in the Souls community, doing lore discussions, videos, guides and such. If he says DaS 2 is better i fully believe him.

Kieli

I think you're being a bit too cynical. This isn't some random old person, it's ENB. :3

Whether it's "marketing" or not is completely irrelevant.

He's given his opinion (in-depth analysis will no doubt be seen after the game is released).

Sanctuary

My only hope is that the game features a sword as awesome as the Claymore. That thing single handedly tips my favour towards Dark Souls over Demon's.

Complely agree! Actually, my hype levels went through the roof when seeing that blue phantom using the double-bladed weapon. Hopefully such a thing exists in game and actually has functionality and isn't just for show.

Anyway, believe what you want about ENB's opinion. Only he knows what he truly thinks on the matter. At the very least we should end up with a game that's just as good as Dark Souls unless they magically screw up somewhere. Been playing From games ever since Kings Field though, so I don't imagine that would be the case.

Veggy

Complely agree! Actually, my hype levels went through the roof when seeing that blue phantom using the double-bladed weapon. Hopefully such a thing exists in game and actually has functionality and isn't just for show.

The twinblade? Its not for show

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

These ones?
1491472_577772062295842_401268325_o.jpg

tumblr_myuxub8ZE11rkea42o2_1280.jpg

The twinblade? Its not for show

Can wait to cosplay as Darkwraith Maul

Veggy

What I mean is that I hope that it actually uses both blades in such a way that it's not basically just "dual wielding", nor is the weapon just used like two-handing a spear. I want it to add something new to the weapon styles.

Darth Maul fans will be happy

Will definitely get the CE guide for this after a few months and updates.. by that time most of what's written on this guide has been changed and it's price will be at less than 10 bucks. I just hope the illustration of maps will be better this time, since the maps portion of the guide will be the only thing left useful once updates started hitting this game.

On topic. Good to see ebb get involved in this. I love his work in the souls community. His lore and playthrough vids are the best.

Sanctuary

So, how many more Souls games will it take before the series starts feeling stale? Because I probably spent around 250 hours with Demon's and I'm nearing double that with Dark, and all I need is a break when getting burnt out, and then I want to binge play it again a few weeks later. I can also see myself playing Dark Souls 2 for probably two months straight, although I'd have to give up bothering Reaper of Souls to do so...

Shengar

So, how many more Souls games will it take before the series starts feeling stale? Because I probably spent around 250 hours with Demon's and I'm nearing double that with Dark, and all I need is a break when getting burnt out, and then I want to binge play it again a few weeks later. I can also see myself playing Dark Souls 2 for probably two months straight, although I'd have to give up bothering Reaper of Souls to do so...

Demon's Souls 2 will rejuvenate the series again with combination of its hub-world Nexus design, and all DaS gameplay improvement (including better boss design).
If its really come out , pls Miyazaki

Orayn

The only way to keep it fresh is to give the Souls series longer dev cycles and return to King's Field in the meantime. From Software are one of the only devs who could make first person melee combat credible again.

zashga

ENB seems like a great guy, so it's nice to see him involved in some sort of official capacity. It's also reassuring (but unsurprising) that he likes the game.

I wish it was March already.

Jobbs

Banned
Body and mind ready. Penis at the ready.

Random thought, I've seen a few promotional odds and ends for DS2, but I've decided I'm going to be totally blacking out any real gameplay and probably anything from here on.

When Dark Souls was first coming out, I was very interested, and didn't yet realize it was going to be one of my GOATs. I was all hyped up to play it, and didn't think much of checking out some streams of the game before its official launch in the US. By the time I had the game myself, I was already pretty familiar with some areas of the game, especially anything adjacent to early areas. I had already seen streamers die to capra demons and curse frogs and gaping demon and more by the time I played it.

I will *not* be repeating this. I've seen a few disjointed odds and ends from the official materials, but I won't be watching a stream or probably anything else, ever, and I'm going to play it totally cold and get fucked. My victories will be mine alone.

Veggy

Body and mind ready. Penis at the ready.

Random thought, I've seen a few promotional odds and ends for DS2, but I've decided I'm going to be totally blacking out any real gameplay and probably anything from here on.

When Dark Souls was first coming out, I was very interested, and didn't yet realize it was going to be one of my GOATs. I was all hyped up to play it, and didn't think much of checking out some streams of the game before its official launch in the US. By the time I had the game myself, I was already pretty familiar with some areas of the game, especially anything adjacent to early areas. I had already seen streamers die to capra demons and curse frogs and gaping demon and more by the time I played it.

I will *not* be repeating this. I've seen a few disjointed odds and ends from the official materials, but I won't be watching a stream or probably anything else, ever, and I'm going to play it totally cold and get fucked. My victories will be mine alone.

Definitely the best way to do it

The Lamp

Well, this guy is like an expert in the technical mechanics and plot of the game. I kinda feel like if he thinks it's awesome, there must be some merit to that.

halfbeast

Banned

it's gonna be hard. especially since there's a 2 day gap between the US and the EU release.

TasTokyo

While I'm sure DkS 2 will be amazing, as people have mentioned you have to be careful with these kind of opinions. Where it's fans now hired to work on the game or getting exclusive access etc.

If I recall correctly it was for Ninja Gaiden 3 where one of the guys who ran a fansite and was an extremely good player was used as a tester to provide feedback. He said a number of times that the game was great and the changes were working well. That fans would be really happy with it. Well we saw how that turned out.

Badgerst3

Good for him. His videos got me through some of the harder bosses in the series.

But does this mean he won't be doing you tube walkthrough vids?

Sanctuary

Demon's Souls 2 will rejuvenate the series again with combination of its hub-world Nexus design, and all DaS gameplay improvement (including better boss design).
If its really come out , pls Miyazaki

I honestly don't know which design I prefer. I like the fact that the world of Dark Souls feels more coherent and the fact that you can run around through a bunch of shorcuts. It actually feels like a lot smarter level design.

I did like the kind of Marioesque "worlds" though of Demon's too, but it just made it feel more like bite-sized different worlds.

it's gonna be hard. especially since there's a 2 day gap between the US and the EU release.

I don't see how that's going to be difficult at all. You either want a pure, first time experience, or you want to ruin it by pointlessly watching other people playing it before you can.

Forkball

For those who have the down low on DS2... how long are the spider sections? I saw spiders in the cursed trailer. HOW DO I AVOID THE SPIDERS?

Steez

Congrats to my main man. He went from creating videos about a game to freaking working on a officially related product. Hats off.

YeSp

Neo Member
Great to see him working on the Strategy guide. Might pick one up as long as he still keeps his YouTube channel up and running. Loved his Dark Souls and Demon's Souls video's /

Top Bottom