• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Episode 1 of Rebel.fm Podcast. (ex-1UP FM)

nny

rocksolidaudio said:
anyhow, i hope you guys enjoy what's there. it's rough, quite obviously, but things will be much better next week (especially when we've had more then a few hours to get our heads on straight). and skip should be rolling through, and shane will be on sometime soon, and backlog will continue in some form, etc. etc....we will survive.

i love you guys, thanks for listening.

<3. Thanks a lot guys, and the best of luck.

Broodax said:
I think Nick was talking about Buster Bros. That game was indeed amazing.

thank fuck! yes, that. rock on.

glad you guys are digging the show, just wait until we're even slightly remotely organized.

rocksolidaudio said:
thank fuck! yes, that. rock on.

glad you guys are digging the show, just wait until we're even slightly remotely organized.
Yeah, I only have the Gameboy version, but I used to play that game all time.

drkOne

Awesome. I hope that we keep the "weekend confirmed", ex-1up/EGM doing it for the fans really shows why 1up will never be the same.

It's just too bad they won't have that early access to unreleased games and previews anymore.

But I guess it is still fun to hear people talk about games.

Rad Agast

Thanks for the effort. Downloading through torrent.

Sorry to hear that EGM is no more (been reading since the early 90s). Good luck to all of you ex-1up guys and gals.

GrayFoxPL

Their debate about fighting games was painful to listen, ugh. I think that's why I usualy don't listen to podcasts: way too much talking straight from the ass. Anyone wants to add their 2 cents of random thoughts.

I think I'll pass.

But I do wish the fired 1up crew will get new jobs and be financially safe.

McBacon said:
Only problem is; you really don't need a PC Elitist on the podcast. What a turn off.

You have at least one on there who doesn't play PC games at all, so having one guy who prefers some types of games on PC over their console versions (a perfectly legitimate viewpoint, by the way;its not elitist) is a benefit to the discussion.

Aaron

GrayFoxPL said:
Their debate about fighting games was painful to listen, ugh. I think that's why I usualy don't listen to podcasts: way too much talking straight from the ass. Anyone wants to add their 2 cents of random thoughts.
Did you also sense the Fight Night reference coming? That always seems to show up when people unfamiliar with fighting games talk about innovation. The idea that most current fighting games boil down to move memorization is also a little absurd and heard a little too often. I thought the rest of it was pretty good though.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
alistairw said:
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Oh I'm all for PC gaming, but you don't need someone saying that the only way to play Far Cry 2 is on PC.

Edit: He just said he plays a lot of Left 4 Dead on 360, I have jumped the gun! Sorry.

voltron

Just a heads up to Ryan and everyone else. I can imagine this getting embarrassing if you dont realise it, but apparently Steam went down at that exact time shown on the graph. Someone mentioned in the other thread that just about everyone got booted (well half according to the graph), so it may not have been due to the 1up news.

But hey, its a cool prospect anyway. The idea that 500k people quit what they were doing to see what was going on.

Kuroyume

Banned
Awesome show guys... Was that the first time Ryan and Matt have been on a podcast? They were fucking great.

Btw, I want to hear more about Shane getting stuck at an airport for 22 hours. :lol

GrayFoxPL

Aaron said:
Did you also sense the Fight Night reference coming? That always seems to show up when people unfamiliar with fighting games talk about innovation. The idea that most current fighting games boil down to move memorization is also a little absurd and heard a little too often. I thought the rest of it was pretty good though.

Yeah, exactly. I wish people with very little insight on the subject would just kept their thoughts for themselves.

Later the podcast indeed got better.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Eyemus Lutt said:
Is there any backlog segment in this episode or future shows?
That was my favorite part of each week of 1upFM.
seconded, it was one of my favourite parts as well.

Cohsae

Eyemus Lutt said:
Is there any backlog segment in this episode or future shows?
That was my favorite part of each week of 1upFM.

It's not in this ep, but I'm pretty sure I do remember them mentioning it and saying it would continue.

andycapps

Only thing I'd like to see in the future is for it to be put on Zune Marketplace (and obviously ITunes for others). But obviously this all went down in the past 2 days so understandable that it's direct download only/torrent. Can't wait to listen to this! It's too bad there won't be some 1UP Show equivalent but I'd imagine most of the contacts these guys had previously and obviously the funding is missing now...

voltron

Xun said:
So will we have to pay for RebelFM in the future?

But anyway, good podcast.

err, no. How could you possible get that? Ill forgive you if cant put names to faces (or voices), but it was Ryan talking about future 1upshowesque video ventures.

And just for the record I entirely support the notion. Ill gladly pay an annual 20buck sub fee to access the content.

Xun

voltron said:
err, no. How could you possible get that? Ill forgive you if cant put names to faces (or voices), but it was Ryan talking about future 1upshowesque video ventures.

And just for the record I entirely support the notion. Ill gladly pay an annual 20buck sub fee to access the content.
I knew it was Ryan speaking, but I just somewhat didn't associate it with a 1UP Show type thing for some reason.

But yeah, I too would gladly pay money for it.

Awesome, I was hoping this would be up this morning. Made a Digg account just for this.

Downloading now. Looking forward to subscribing in the near future :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this podcast is proof that you guys really love games and love your jobs, and that you look out for your fans. truly awesome stuff.

big_z

solid episode considering the circumstances. if the guys can make a weekly podcast and 1up show replacement i will drop a little coin for it.

i look forward to the next weeks...

btw does anyone know where to find the video of the laser they were talking about? i've seen some before but this one seems even more powerful.

voltron

BarrenMind said:
Awesome, I was hoping this would be up this morning. Made a Digg account just for this.

Downloading now. Looking forward to subscribing in the near future :D

I really need to make a DIGG account. So many times Ive gone to digg something only to discover that I need account and dont bother.

Digg shouldnt have made it a requirement in order to digg something that you need an account.

Sinn Fein

Rebel guys, I don't post here a lot but I felt compelled to go out of my way to say this is a REALLY great show.

The sound is a little rough, yes, but the content is fantastic. I think you guys just seem really buzzed and excited to be hanging out again, talking games and recording (not that it's been long, but a lot has happened). The group is fantastic. Chemistry is laid back, passionate and right on. It was great to hear Ryan, Matt and Jade as well and I hope they'll come back from time to time too. If Skip and Shane and whoever else drops by in the future, that'll be wonderful.

Everything you guys had to say about what's happened was super classy and insightful. I felt closure that I didn't even know I needed. I hope you guys can continue this and that Ryan and Matt and the video guys can somehow sustain a project they're happy with. It's scary I'm sure, but it must also be very exciting and that is tangible.

I'm still listening, but I felt so strongly I wanted to get this out there now. I don't want this to come out wrong--you guys are living through some tough stuff I don't want to belittle--but I'm really envious of the camaraderie and passion you guys all share. I wish I had such things in my life.

You guys are spot on with what you're doing and looking to do, the things you're focusing on like maintaining a voice, getting this great group of people involved and preserving the strong ideas like Backlog. The freedom you have to be a little more open-form ... it suits you guys.

This is what I want.

Johnkers

voltron said:
I really need to make a DIGG account. So many times Ive gone to digg something only to discover that I need account and dont bother.

Digg shouldnt have made it a requirement in order to digg something that you need an account.

Imagine the amount of unsolicited diggs they would get though, the site would be a bigger mess then it already is.

Amory

The terrible sound quality is strangely appropriate. Like a survival theme in the aftermath of the 1up disaster.

cRIPticon

PuppetMaster said:
It's just too bad they won't have that early access to unreleased games and previews anymore.

But I guess it is still fun to hear people talk about games.

Says who? Plenty of freelance writers that get early copies and early builds. Very close friend of mine, total freelancer, gets everything.

They also have cred, and I am sure they will be able to leverage that into deals with publishers.

Top Bottom