• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal CCG is in open beta and on Steam

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's the difference between this and Hex insofar as being digital Magic clones?

Shai-Tan

Banned
What's the difference between this and Hex insofar as being digital Magic clones?

Hex is TCG with a modest free to play whereas Eternal is a CCG with very generous f2p. Hex goes all in in terms of complexity and has some elaborate digital mechanics whereas Eternal is streamlining Magic trying to simplify anything that would slow the game down (like always holding priority) or make it difficult to play on tablet/mobile. It has some digital mechanics like permanent stat changes and some unique mechanics like direct attack relic weapons. The one other major difference is Hex has champions with hero power (that are designed to facilitate different archetypes) whereas Eternal doesn't (only relics).

edit: the one feature I do miss from Hex is the campaign has a good amount of content with more coming. The Campaign in Eternal is little more than a tutorial.

This list could give people an idea on the mechanics being used in the game. It's a quick explanation of keywords (list taken from a wikia but I provided the explanation). They were missing a handful as it doesn't look like the wikia I looked at has been updated in a while. I actually haven't come across 1 of these yet - transmute - and it seems really cool.

Aegis - protected from first spell or unit effect (not combat damage, not deadly but direct damage, hex,etc)
Ambush - this unit can be played on opponents turn or at the end of their turn. Like an instant summon.
Charge - can attack the turn it is summoned
Deadly - units it attack die if it causes any damage
Destiny - this card is automatically played for free when drawn, and you draw another card
Double Damage - card deals double damage, often to a specific target (like double damage to players only)
Depleted - not active the turn played (for sigils, the mana it provides is not available until next turn, but faction influence is)
Echo - when you draw this card, create a copy of it in your hand
Empower - this card's text activates when you play a power card (sigils/mana)
Endurance - this unit cannot be exhausted or stunned (can attack and then still be available to block)
Entomb - when this unit dies, it does something
Fate - When you draw this unit , it does something
Flying - only flying units can block flying units
Infiltrate - this triggers an effect the first time you manage to attack the enemy player with it
Killer - this is an activated ability and can be used immediately when you summon the unit, it lets you attack another unit directly
Lifesteal - damage dealt by this unit heals it's owner, over damaging a unit heals for the full amount
Overwhelm - when this unit attacks and is blocked, damage exceeding the blocker's health hits the opponent
Quickdraw - when this unit attacks and kills a unit, it doesn't take damage in return
Reckless - this unit must attack (still cannot attack first turn)
Silence - this negates text from cards and attachments (I am pretty sure it doesn't cancel weapons equipped, silence is a bit confusing and I need clarification)
Summon - this unit does something when you summon it
Transmute - this card transforms when your power (mana) reaches the indicated thresh hold if it is in your hand or deck.
Ultimate - this is a powerful text that can only activate once, sometimes it is triggered automatically and sometimes you pay mana
Unblockable - can't block this unit
Warcry - When this unit attacks, the top weapon or unit of your deck gets +1/+1. This effect occurs before blockers are assigned. You can also have multiple warcries stack on a unit and they all work.

Just a quick thought on transmute. The transmute cards all appear to be power cards (so land/mana etc). Once you hit 5 they become units because presumably your deck needs less power cards once you hit 5. This could make it so you suffer less land flood, or whatever the jargon is.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Is there an ipad version or no? I see people mention it but can't find it.

There is in beta. There was a signup for it on the web site until yesterday. No idea why they took it down but it should be coming back. I updated to the newest patch on Android just fine so it works

edit: apparently they aren't sending out new Android/iOS invites for now. No idea then when it comes back

So... they have a card that lets you discard a card from your opponent's hand... not a fan of that mechanic. It's 1 mana too... soo... (I think it's 1 mana).

Then there is a card that literally steals a card from your opponent's hand. Oh, it's random too. So when my opponent randomly took my best weapon that had been powered up as well.. pretty dumb imo.

Not a fan of these type of things so far.

I liked it, but I stopped playing because the only way to complete quests was through ranked and there wasn't a ladder.

I'll check it out again.

Nordicus

So... they have a card that lets you discard a card from your opponent's hand... not a fan of that mechanic. It's 1 mana too... soo... (I think it's 1 mana).

Then there is a card that literally steals a card from your opponent's hand. Oh, it's random too. So when my opponent randomly took my best weapon that had been powered up as well.. pretty dumb imo.

Eeh, it's fine, the cards that affect your opponent's hand are often weak tech choices, the Sabotage that hit you doesn't do anything if your hand has only minions and/or sigils, aside from telling the opponent that you have no spells or attachments atm.

The only really powerful card that reads your opponents hand (or part of it, as is the case with the more techy spells) is Rain of Frogs, which turns that card and any other copies of it into 1/1 frog with Destiny, costs 4 mana. That's only really played in some blue control decks.

I used to play Slow in some of my Time decks because it was the only budget way I had to mess with those Time/Justice/Primal pure control decks that draw cards and remove your board most of the game, then come back with a huge 8/8(+armor) sword and then mash your face to death when you've ran out of cards.

In most cases Slow just showed me the immediate hand situation and maybe slowed opponent's tempo slightly by turning 3-cost card into 6. Faster decks would just draw an alternative way to push their win condition. Would have considered Sabotage but the TJP control deck will just Excavate their needed cards back.
Yes, these types of cards are insurance against things like combo decks. They're common in a lot of card games.
Eternal likes having lots of powerful counters to similarly powerful strategies.

2 mana? Kill any single-color minion or minion with 4+ Attack that doesn't have Aegis.

3 mana? Ambush and kill any attacking minion that doesn't have Quickdraw.

5 mana? Nuke the whole board, fuck it all. Aegis enemy units will live tho

Just had a great draft run. Got 4 packs and a few thousand gold. In the packs I got 2 legends. Pretty good haul.

Claw of the first dragon and Touch of Umbren

Yes, these types of cards are insurance against things like combo decks. They're common in a lot of card games.

Yeah, I understand. Just gotta get used to the idea that my opponent can randomly steal my best card in my hand. Feelsbadman.

Nordicus

Yeah, I understand. Just gotta get used to the idea that my opponent can randomly steal my best card in my hand. Feelsbadman.
I know the pain of getting your card stolen. I played Song of War praxis deck which meant that occasionally I had cards with 10+ warcries on them waiting to be picked. Opponent steals my topmost card with Feln Bloodcaster. The card that I draw on my turn doesn't have the warcries I've been waiting for.

... aight, fuck it, concede.

Just watch out for Shadow decks. Don't get greedy against them, they have the most enemy hand manipulation

Blade25

I'm loving this game! It's very reminiscent of MTG, but more face paced.

I do have some things I'm not a fan of. 75 card deck limit is pretty damn high.

Does anyone know if there is a cost to do Gauntlet? I've done it twice now and both have been free.

ViviOggi

I'm loving this game! It's very reminiscent of MTG, but more face paced.

I do have some things I'm not a fan of. 75 card deck limit is pretty damn high.

Does anyone know if there is a cost to do Gauntlet? I've done it twice now and both have been free.
Gauntlet only costs time, but the more you rank up the stronger the AI's decks get until grinding it isn't worth it anymore.

Blade25

Gauntlet only costs time, but the more you rank up the stronger the AI's decks get until grinding it isn't worth it anymore.

*edit* whoops!

My mistake. What about Forge? Why is there an option to pay 2500 gold or 250 gems, but I have an option that says it's free. Do I have a ticket?

patchday

hell I saw a card in SP campaign that lets you take a card from your deck and your opponents'. And I thought Hearthstone was rage inducing with Entomb at least that crap is rotating out.

I hate how so many games inherit so much crap from MtG. crap like that would never fly in MOBAs

I can see it now in League of Legends. Riot adds an item that lets you take take some gold and equipment from an opposing player. Their fanbase would literally 'riot'. In CCG nonsense like this is just far too commonplace.

hell I saw a card in SP campaign that lets you take a card from your deck and your opponents'. And I thought Hearthstone was rage inducing with Entomb at least that crap is rotating out.

It's on a unit that's not super difficult to kill (while requiring mana itself to summon), and the ability costs 7 to use. This isn't Hearthstone where you get a free mana every turn. I mean, some decks won't even hit 7 mana except for rare circumstances. This allows high mana effects to be very powerful, because you absolutely have to make sacrifices to deckbuilding or strategy to reliably hit those high numbers. It's a fitting ability for that cost.

Entomb effects would also be much weaker in Eternal than Hearthstone because of deck size differences. Putting one of their cards in your 75 card Eternal deck makes it much less likely to draw it than putting in in your 30 card Hearthstone deck.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Got murdered a bunch of times by Patrick Chapin on ladder. In the last season he played he was like 600 points higher on ranking than #2

Seems like the change in cost to Thunderstrike Dragon from 7 to 6 made it playable.

Got murdered a bunch of times by Patrick Chapin on ladder. In the last season he played he was like 600 points higher on ranking than #2

Seems like the change in cost to Thunderstrike Dragon from 7 to 6 made it playable.

I'm a fan of that card so far. Running it in a g/b deck that has a focus on echo/fate and redrawing cards.

edit:
opps, yellow blue, not green blue.

I played a shit load of cards games, shadowverse, scrolls, duelist, might n magic champions, spellweaver, hex, you name it. All I wanted was a game very similar to magic that plays well on the computer. Eternal is finally it. It's exactly the game I was looking for. Been playing a lot of the closed beta and I must say I have the deck building excitement when checking my card collection just like magic. Lots of "woa this is a crazy build-around-me card". The game is as deep as magic, everything is there. Hand disruption, counterspell, instants, cantrips. Yet the game keeps it fast and streamlined like Hearthstone. It's the best of both world for me really. Also the f2p is very, very generous. My two complains are:

75 cards decks. Too high variance for my tastes, but I think it helps cards being constructed viable as there more space to fit different cards.

No way to hold priority if you have no instants. I don't like being forced to tell my opponent i have instant spells available to cast.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So gauntlet ia a infinite source of gold?

Its actually quite tough aswell, the max I've done is 5 wins. Live the single player content in this which is something these games usually lack.

havocau

Neo Member
IMO, Eternal is up there with Duelyst and Infinity Wars as one of the best card games. It's the closest thing to a digital MtG clone, and it's competently done.

@OP: Have they said whether they will reset the collections at launch? I don't want to get reset twice. :p

Yeah, this might be the best digital TCG out right now. It's basically MtG but with a few extra digital mechanics. So many card games suffer from being overly simplified and while it's not quite as complex as MtG, it's not far off either. Instants, non-basic "lands", non-creature permanents, creatures and permanents that care about "lands", these are a few things Eternal has that I've seen so far that most TCGs cut for complexity reasons. It definitely feels like it has more depth than HS and it's ilk at first glance. Some of the rules text needs to be cleaned up but other than that I'm very impressed so far.

EDIT: Wow, you can even assign blockers and then sacrifice them to other effects. So many MtG strategies transfer over.

You guys confuse me... have you not played Hex???

Qvoth

Played Hex off and on
It is too similar to mtg, I mean it's so similar they literally got sued
This seems more like hearthstone with mtg influences, which sounds like a good place to be

havocau

Neo Member
Too similar? LOL
Eternal is just heartstone and mtg combined to try and grab both markets... hex has TONS of innovations... you only need to play it for 10 minutes to realise this.

Campain and Casual is grayed out on my game, anybody know the reason?

Liking the game, I'm a sucker for CCG. I'm really surprise on how generous they are with the cards, don't know if the well will dry out soon.
I'm enjoying green (eeww) which surprises me since I always go control but I really enjoyed the Warcry mechanic.

HappyPuppy said:
Campain and Casual is grayed out on my game, anybody know the reason?

You can only do the campaign once apparently. Casual is also closed for me, I guess it's locked during the beta.

Yes, but its card formatting is hideous, the UI isn't as intuitive and it has a worse F2P model. The awful looking cards are what really killed it for me, they somehow managed to copy and past MtG's layout but made it look like a cheap Korean knock-off. I tried to get into it as an alternative to MTGO but it just never grabbed me. Eternal has the accessibility of HS and most of the depth of MtG, Hex only checks off one of those boxes.

ViviOggi

What decks is everyone playing in constructed? I was planning to craft Clockroaches first but yeah... Built some Feln infiltrate meme deck for now since I only needed to invest in a handful of rares, it's too inconsistent in the long run though. With the Queen nerf the obvious choice is of course anything Rakano aggro, it's just so utterly degenerate and I hate playing it

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Maybe I'm being dense here but what determines your attack order when you have multiple units selected?

Edit: well now that I see how blocking works, I suppose attack order isn't important. Nm.

Maybe I'm being dense here but what determines your attack order when you have multiple units selected?

Edit: well now that I see how blocking works, I suppose attack order isn't important. Nm.

Yeah, it doesn't matter. Effects that resolve immediately after combat (such as Entomb) are considered to resolve simultaneously.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Too similar? LOL
Eternal is just heartstone and mtg combined to try and grab both markets... hex has TONS of innovations... you only need to play it for 10 minutes to realise this.

In case anyone is wondering that's Hexedhavoc a Hex streamer :) I do like the card design in Hex more but the TCG economy makes buy in and keeping up a bit much. I spent $900 in a year on Hex and didn't even get all the cards. The latest set also blows in my opinion. I might come back for the new campaign but I already sold all my cards to Hexprimal for a piddling $150. Hence the playing of Eternal.

What decks is everyone playing in constructed? I was planning to craft Clockroaches first but yeah... Built some Feln infiltrate meme deck for now since I only needed to invest in a handful of rares, it's too inconsistent in the long run though. With the Queen nerf the obvious choice is of course anything Rakano aggro, it's just so utterly degenerate and I hate playing it

Don't make clockroach :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/EternalCardGame/comments/5dwei6/crown_of_possibilities_nerfed/

Fraeon

Lifesteal and Mantle of Justice sure is something:

1e96dd7907.png

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is this getting an iOS release at least?

You haven't played digital CCG's unless you've played them on tablet. So much better.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Apparently there already is one that is a closed beta online. At least I think I read that earlier in the thread.

I assumed open beta meant open beta for iOS and Android as well, but apparently not. Maybe the reason is they have no hooks to payments in those versions yet. The game is identical to the desktop version which makes deck building awkward but otherwise it plays great.

Is it possible to export your deck to a web app or something?

I'm working on a static bolt deck.

2 Excavate (Set1 #71)
3 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
3 Backlash (Set1 #200)
2 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
4 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
4 Second Sight (Set1 #207)
4 Static Bolt (Set1 #194)
2 Storm Lynx (Set1 #353)
4 Clockroach (Set1 #94)
3 Ice Sprite (Set1 #214)
3 Polymorph (Set1 #211)
2 Scorpion Wasp (Set1 #96)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
1 Champion of Wisdom (Set1 #358)
3 Nesting Avisaur (Set1 #225)
2 Jotun Hurler (Set1 #227)
1 Twinbrood Sauropod (Set1 #113)
1 Thunderstrike Dragon (Set1 #243)
2 Channel the Tempest (Set1 #244)
13 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
8 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
4 Seat of Wisdom (Set0 #63)

I'm assuming the first deck I design will end up being pure trash. I don't have the clockroaches yet, but they seem good enough to provide a solid board presence while I ramp up to burn my opponent out.

Nordicus

Is it possible to export your deck to a web app or something?

I'm working on a static bolt deck.

2 Excavate (Set1 #71)
3 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
3 Backlash (Set1 #200)
2 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
4 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
4 Second Sight (Set1 #207)
4 Static Bolt (Set1 #194)
2 Storm Lynx (Set1 #353)
4 Clockroach (Set1 #94)
3 Ice Sprite (Set1 #214)
3 Polymorph (Set1 #211)
2 Scorpion Wasp (Set1 #96)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
1 Champion of Wisdom (Set1 #358)
3 Nesting Avisaur (Set1 #225)
2 Jotun Hurler (Set1 #227)
1 Twinbrood Sauropod (Set1 #113)
1 Thunderstrike Dragon (Set1 #243)
2 Channel the Tempest (Set1 #244)
13 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
8 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
4 Seat of Wisdom (Set0 #63)

I'm assuming the first deck I design will end up being pure trash. I don't have the clockroaches yet, but they seem good enough to provide a solid board presence while I ramp up to burn my opponent out.
Excavate + Elysian Trailblazer might also be a neat combo for that (5 mana 3/3, give top spell Echo). If you do it to the first Static Bolt you ever draw in a match, I think you get 2x 4-damage bolts in your hand. Better for later ones obviously.

Excavate + Elysian Trailblazer might also be a neat combo for that (5 mana 3/3, give top spell Echo). If you do it to the first Static Bolt you ever draw in a match, I think you get 2x 4-damage bolts in your hand. Better for later ones obviously.

Great idea, I was actually thinking about trailblazer before. Does echo stack like warcry?

If anyone wants to add me: Karsticles+4516

For people who played the beta extensively: what are a few strong cheap decks I should craft?

Yeah, silence is permanent. It will stop the empower going off.

sent add but might need the numbers, I'm Protekt1+7886
I added you.

Game shits all over HS, I just wish there was still a good combo deck. Party Hour was super fun but got more or less deleted in closed beta and Clockroaches is too inconsistent to reach anything higher than tier 3 status.

Also prepare for the Rakano only meta while everyone grinds up their collections again
I think there are pros and cons to HS and Eternal, but I'm definitely in to try Eternal seriously. My only reservation is having to play lands.

So why should I play this over Shadowverse or Duelyst?
IMO, Duelyst is the best card game out there, and Infinity Wars comes next.

Shadowverse is a straight-up Hearthstone clone. You auto-accumulate resources, play minions, and trade on the board until you overwhelm your opponent and win.

Duelyst has this same playstyle, but it has a board that adds extra strategy.

Eternal does not auto-accumulate resources, which means lands are a strategic part of your deck-building and deck-playing strategy. I am not a fan of this, but some are. What I am DEFINITELY a fan of is the ability to interrupt your opponents turn with Fast Spells like MtG's instants. There are also Artifacts that influence the game, and I think those add something as well. I'm a HUGE fan of this game's Icy Manipulator.

Just playing through tutorial, first impression is great

so what I shall do from here?
Forge/Gauntlet.

how does this compare to Shadowverse? I started it about 3 weeks ago and I LOVE it so much.
Shadowverse and Hearthstone are less deep games than Eternal, but they also don't use lands. Pros and cons IMO. Give it a try and find out. :)

Got 16 packs as freebies from my collection in closed beta. It'll do.
Damn it, can't believe I forgot the best part

Just one decent Draft basically gets you half a ladder deck right there when you on't have much of a collection.

Here's the patch notes

A lot of card changes, and some outright removal of cards. That kinda surprised me
Goddamn, what should I shoot for? :-O

Wow this game seems crazy good at first glance. It has the great snappy usability and presentation of HS, but much deeper mechanics borrowed from MTG.

This has the potential of being the best digital card game.
Yes it does! I wish it had Duelyst's Replace system and Infinity Wars' Trading Post, though.

Yeah getting used to the mechanics a little more.

What's even more curious it seems to abandon the 'daily quest' mechanic. Looks like you can infinitely accumulate gold all day long.

Legendaries are crazy steep to craft though from what I recall (yep just double checked, legendary crafting looks like total crap to be frank)
Daily quests are a thing.

You keep the cards you pick when playing draft?
Holy shit that's insanely generous
Solforge too.

Nobody has

Hex plays like a chunky piece of crap.

Top Bottom