• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal Darkness sequel confirmed by Dyack

Laurent

Denis Dyack said:
I am most often asked if we have sequels in mind for Eternal Darkness. The answer is absolutely yes. Although this may not be obvious to those outside of Silicon Knights, anyone inside the guild understands that there is really no other answer. When creating an original game we start by conceptualizing an entire universe. Once the universe is conceptualized we then tell a story within that world.

For example, in Eternal Darkness we created a universe in which imprisoned ancients were struggling to regain entry into our world. We created a hierarchy of these Ancients, Great Ancients, and other minor players and then built the story around how three of them may slowly succeed in doing so. Their instrument is Pious Augustus, a roman centurion, who eventually becomes a powerful undead liche. Ironically, this immortal character is nothing but a pawn. Dispite the fact that he has very powerful magick and lived for over two millennia, his power is still nothing compared to that of the wizened Ancients. This type of scope and scale is what we try to create in all of our universes.

Although this is just one story we had in mind for the Eternal Darkness universe, there are even more manipulations, great ancients, and numerous other stories to tell…

So, this brings us to Too Human. When we first announced the trilogy we were asked why we chose to tell the story in three installments. The answer is simple really.

After creating numerous worlds over the years, developing a trilogy is just a natural progression in our game making process. Eternal Darkness and Too Human all fall under the same umbrella of universes that we created. We have many stories to tell within these worlds so this time around we felt it was time to tell more than just one.

In the Too Human Trilogy there will be one over-arching storyline told throughout the three games. But, within each game many other stories will also be explored, including the rise of the giants, the creation of sentient weapons, the mystery of the runes, the mysteries of the World Tree as well as many more. The fact that we have the opportunity to give gamers so much insight into this universe is extremely exciting for us.

We believe that an important part of making a trilogy successful is that each of its parts is self contained. Because we want each game to be a complete experience on its own, the major plot lines will be resolved at the end of each game. Without giving too much away, I can tell you that the theme of each installment will be ‘discovery’, ‘revenge’ and ‘enlightenment’ respectively. We hope that you will enjoy exploring the Too Human universe as much as we love to create it.
Source : http://blogs.ign.com/silicon-knights/2006/07/06/24044/#comments

First of all, he did not mention any system, so it doesn't mean that it will be released on a Nintendo console (who has ownership of the Eternal Darkness logo, story, names, etc. Silicon Knights?). Secondo, it's Silicon Knights, so you might expect the game to be released in 5-6 years...

Juice

Awesome! I was just looking at my calendar for July 2013, and I didn't yet have anything I planned to do.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
He trying to prepare in advance for Too Human's la bomba? I love how EGM had their game as a cover story, then wailed on it after E3.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
For example, in Eternal Darkness we created a universe in which imprisoned ancients were struggling to regain entry into our world. We created a hierarchy of these Ancients, Great Ancients, and other minor players and then built the story around how three of them may slowly succeed in doing so. Their instrument is Pious Augustus, a roman centurion, who eventually becomes a powerful undead liche. Ironically, this immortal character is nothing but a pawn. Dispite the fact that he has very powerful magick and lived for over two millennia, his power is still nothing compared to that of the wizened Ancients. This type of scope and scale is what we try to create in all of our universes.

lovecraft built that house; silicon knights have just squatted there and done a really tasteless job of redecorating. i'm unsurprised that dyack spells "magic" as "magick," but "liche" for "lich" is pretty ****ing funny.

also: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=wizened

also, in case someone is daft enough to fund an eternal darkness sequel: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=codex

Baker

Banned
GOTY 2010.

Seriously though, screw you haters, this sequel will probably be my most hyped game of whatever gen it comes out on.

Be pretty sweet if they incorporated online aspects into the sanity effects. Then they could somewhat stream in new effects so everyone's experience is different.

-Damien-

Banned
ok I think he stopped hyping Too Human gameplay, now he wanted the gamers to focus on the story and the universe of the trilogy :lol ...it's an RPG now

lyre

Isn't the concept, design, sound, gameplay and all that jazz, trademarked and reserved by Nintendo? Will this be another Legacy of Kain but not? Or is this just an insanity effect? More question marks??

Jeff-DSA

I love Eternal Darkness and I'm glad to hear that a sequel is coming (eventually). Hopefully the sanity effects aren't rehashed because they kind of lost their novelty by the middle part of the game. In the sequel they should make them specific to the room you're in so you'd never know if it was a sanity effect or a part of that room.

Gnarley to the max.

That game showed me that a tower of screaming, unhappy people doesn't necessarily involve cheerleaders.

Soul4ger

How can people complain about EGM giving Too Human a cover, then bashing it? If anything, I think that's good... People were/are interested in TH, it's been in the works forever, and they got an exclusive feature on it. If they played it at E3, it was terrible, and they said so, uh, good? I'd rather them do that, then say, "Well, we had this on the cover. We need to say it's good!"

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
he hyped Too Human to be God of War, DMC & NG killer in one swoop

he also promised that too human will kill music, film, and fiction. video games will be the premier entertainment medium of the 21st century. and you know who's leading the way? PIOUS AUGUSTUS, THE THRICE-PUISSANT UNDEADE LICHE MAESTER OF BLACKE MAGICK MOSTE UNHOLIE

jgkspsx

Dyack said:
For example, in Eternal Darkness we created a universe in which imprisoned ancients were struggling to regain entry into our world. ... Their instrument is Pious Augustus, a roman centurion, who eventually becomes a powerful undead liche. Ironically, this immortal character is nothing but a pawn. Dispite the fact that he has very powerful magick and lived for over two millennia, his power is still nothing compared to that of the wizened Ancients. This type of scope and scale is what we try to create in all of our universes.
My god, what a shithead. I really liked the first two Legacy of Kain games, but their "universe" was really pathetic high-school goth nonsense. The games have gotten worse, and the universes haven't gotten any better.

P.S. "Pious" isn't Latin, you moron. "Pious Augustus" is Engrish-level unintentional humor.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
(I've turned my SK-hate filter on here.)

I can't wait to see a return to Eternal Darkness. I want to cast magick (ho ho) with the wiimote.

<nu>faust

mann this guy loves talkin' doesn't he...if i was him i'd spend less time on interviews and work on my "as of today it's kinda broken but beleive me it's gonna be a masterpiece" game more.

KingJ2002

Interesting... i hope it being planned for the Wii.

with the wii capabilities... it should be another classic.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I stopped giving a shit about Too Human pretty much right when they turned it into Devil May Cry, but I'd be all over an ED sequel.

loosus

Banned
Why doesn't he just go write a budget film for IFC or something and be done with it? All he talks about his the ****ing, gah-damn story, and this aggravating emphasis shows in his games.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
drohne said:
he also promised that too human will kill music, film, and fiction. video games will be the premier entertainment medium of the 21st century. and you know who's leading the way? PIOUS AUGUSTUS, THE THRICE-PUISSANT UNDEADE LICHE MAESTER OF BLACKE MAGICK MOSTE UNHOLIE
:lol

loosus

Banned
I bet Dyack thought he was a badass in high-school English class.

"That's right, teach...magick."

Gah, what a wanker.

sammy

drohne said:

ok, that made me giggle

jjasper

I think Nintendo still owns the IP, I used to own the game and in the instruction manual it said it was copyrighted by Nintendo not SK, I would check but I sold the game. Anyone care to check? I guess its possible the big N and SK will work together again

donny2112

Old. Dyack has been saying that they created an entire universe for Eternal Darkness for years. This is just a repetition of that. He's not actually saying that a sequel is in the works.

If they do make a sequel and put it on a system I own, I'll probably buy it, though. :)

Ark-AMN

Banned
Yeesh, the SK/Dyack hate has reached new levels around here, calling Dyack a "shithead" and stuff now. And you wonder why he will never come back here?

With this kind of rhetoric, you'd think Dyack personally came into your homes and killed your pets or something.

Top Bottom