• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal Darkness sequel confirmed by Dyack

Matt

jjasper said:
The difference between SK and Rare is that Nintendo sold Rare to MS. SK wanted out, so I could see Nintendo acting a little different to SK.
As a point of fact, Nintendo sold the ~49% it owned of Rare to Rare (and the Stamper brothers), and then Rare sold itself to Microsoft.

jjasper said:
The difference between SK and Rare is that Nintendo sold Rare to MS. SK wanted out, so I could see Nintendo acting a little different to SK.

This is all speculation I have no idea how the breakup went.

Edit: What is with the personal attacks, that is just messed up. I think Too Human looks like shit too but Jesus, it is his job to promote his game even if it sucks.

I think that difference is backwards. Nintendo reportedly did try to reach a compromise with Rare to keep them exclusive that would have have involved them increasing their share in the company once again, though not buying the full stake they didn't own to make it a wholly owned subsidiary like Retro (or like Microsoft ended up doing with Rare).

As far as SK is concerned, yeah they wanted out - after Nintendo made it clear they weren't funding another 5 - 10 year long $80 million project. It's like they wanted out after Nintendo decided they should leave. Funny how that works out :p .

I mean someone posted one interview he did before the split where he says flat out he doesn't plan on working on any non-Nintendo hardware ever again, Nintendo is better than anyone else, how he could never imagine working for Sony or Microsoft, and all this other crap . To go from that, to suddenly "we decided to leave Nintendo"...come on.

Mau ®

Forgive me but that does not confirm a sequel. That only says he has a sequel in his mind, not in the works, not even in the planning stages.

Will SK do a sequel? Very likely but that's not a confirmation.

I didn't like ED but a sequel would be interesting...

jgkspsx

Maximilian said:
I just don't get the Dyack hate here; he's a really nice, creative guy who seems to work overtime to make a good game. He also goes outta his way to communicate with the fans. What's the deal?
I don't have a grudge against him, even if he did (with Kojima's full complicity, mind!) ruin MGS, one of my favorite games, with the shitty new dialogue, voiceovers, and cinemas.

I really liked the Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver. Totally different games whose gameplay I enjoyed tremendously. I thought the universe was pretty stupid, but, hey, it's a video game.

The next SK game I played was Eternal Darkness. The second game I got for the GC, in fact. I thought it was pretty cool, in some ways, but the gameplay seemed much less satisfying than their earlier games -- which I guess is sort of defensible since they were doing a Resident Evil sort of game. The further on I got in the game, though, the more irritating the plot and "universe" got until I just gave up.

So, I don't "hate" him. The sincerity and seriousness with which he was discussing ideas that are utterly cliche and spent even within fantasy/sci-fi pulp deserved mocking. My response didn't provide it, I admit.

So, uh, in short, drohne already said everything that needed to be said :)

Senretsu

I enjoyed parts of Eternal Darkness and I realize that good games take time to make, but these guys are seriously competing with Rare in terms of taking 40 years to get games out the door. If Too Human is a trilogy, by the time the 3rd one comes out (if it ever does come out), it'll be on Playstation 9. Still I wouldn't mind seeing an ED2, be it from SK or another developer.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
What's interesting about all this speculation is that Nintendo has a patent on the sanity system present in Eternal Darkness.

loosus

Banned
DavidDayton said:
What's interesting about all this speculation is that Nintendo has a patent on the sanity system present in Eternal Darkness.
Not really. That sorta thing is really hard to enforce.

Hunter D

jgkspsx said:
I don't have a grudge against him, even if he did (with Kojima's full complicity, mind!) ruin MGS, one of my favorite games, with the shitty new dialogue, voiceovers, and cinemas.
That was all Kojima's doing, not SK. SK only ported the game.

BigBoss

jgkspsx said:

Those problems fall on Kojima's shoulders, not Dyack. Now if you were unhappy with the shitty framerate, subpar graphics, enemies who spawn two feet off-screen, horribly unbalanced boss fights due to the new FPS mechanic, or the unchanged level design then you can blame Dyack and the rest of Silicon Knights.

jarrod

Banned
ManaByte said:
He betrayed the mighty Nintendo. To many people, that is worse than death.
Well, betrayed probably isn't the most accurate term for describing their seperation. Dyack wan't even on the potentially betraying end actually. ;)

beelzebozo said:
then they need to use that sh*t.
Nintendo suppossedly greenlit a GC sequel by Darkworks Studio (ALITD4, Cold Fear). No word on what might've happened to it, maybe it's been pushed over to Wii?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jarrod said:
Nintendo suppossedly greenlit a GC sequel by Darkworks Studio (ALITD4, Cold Fear). No word on what might've happened to it, maybe it's been pushed over to Wii?

then perhaps someone is up there in the great beyond

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Synthesizer Patel said:
I pictured your avatar saying this, making it awesome.

Hey, does anyone want to join my videogame club...I mean guild.

i think you mean guilde

grate

While I found Legacy of Kain to be one of my most favorite/memorable PS1 games, Eternal Darkness never really struck a nerve with me.

After LOK, I remember getting all excited about Eternal Darkness and all of the hype for this game on the Gamecube, only to be let down. Although the game had some pretty cool moments, it just wasn't up to par with LOK. (this is just my opinion). Understandably, this was quite a transition from Kain, but there were so many things in that game that make me remember it to this day.

The degradation in the subesequent Kains obviously was out of their control, but I would love to see them go back to their roots.

Ulairi

Banned
Dyack said that they wouldn't rule out working with Nintendo in the future. It would require a smaller team to work on the Wii, they could do it. It won't happen but it could happen.

Chipopo

Banned
holy shit, the only response to that Dyack quote is condescending laughter....how do people defend this guy??? Eternal Darkness was a broken, constipated game that had an even more constipated development time. Metal Gear Solid was a damned mess, and whatever they showed at E3 this year was completely average. Why is he given a mouth piece?? And not only does he get interviews...but the shit that he says in them...good lord.

medrew

I still don't believe that was Dyack posting here based on the fact that Angels of a Wing articulates in a more comprehensible fashion.

jax (old)

Banned
did Dyack think that the fervor for that ubisoft game that sold like shit (but is a fan fav) will carry across to his SK game that sold like shit?

I don't recall hearing that many people calling for a ED sequel unlike the other game. (I can't remember the name of the game for some reason, but the protag is called JADE)

Problem is one of the games was good. and it wasn't ED.

and I think he should at least, get another game out of SK before running his mouth off about sequels and what not. Already, too human, has suffered really bad PR because of the EEE showing

Pixarfan

Neo Member
Ark-AMN said:
Yeesh, the SK/Dyack hate has reached new levels around here, calling Dyack a "shithead" and stuff now. And you wonder why he will never come back here?

With this kind of rhetoric, you'd think Dyack personally came into your homes and killed your pets or something.

He did kill my pet and I still think he is a champ, I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed ED 1 and wish to god they would make a 2nd... now too human ... not so much

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jarrod said:

Really. When did this happen?

DJ Sl4m

Nintendo fans are hilarious, when ED released it was the best thing since sliced bread thanks to it's story telling.

I bought a GC mainly for that game & Metroid, and admittedly the story telling was indeeed unique and appreciated, but the overall game was ass.

ED had Zer0 AI, and laughable charachters, it's funny to see Nintando fans slam it after pushing it like a drug.

Just like Rare, thier efforts are only respectable when the end result is released on Nintendo hardware. ED was a borefest which had a new style in which it told the story, unfortunately the game felt empty with charachter..

Who cares about the sequal at this point, without the regualr Nfans support, it's become obvious the franchise was mediocre at best to begin with.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Terrell said:
Ahh, but if Nintendo gave Eternal Darkness over to Retro Studios, the series would suddenly become a fap-a-thon. Think about that. :lol

I was going to say, that if Nintendo decided to make a ED2, they would probably hand it over to Retro. They are a dyoung development team that can now learn to to much more.

But idk, I always see SK employees talking about how much they have learned with Nintendo and Dyak said he would "love to work with nintendo in the future".

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
I don´t see Eternal Darkness as an interactive movie. Perhaps the idea of Silicon Knights for Wii was a Fahrenheit type game and Nintendo said "NO" and Dyack decided to break the contract.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
loosus said:
Not really. That sorta thing is really hard to enforce.
Oh, I know that... it's just interesting that the central gimmick to the series is patented by Nintendo.

(Side note: I liked Eternal Darkness... not enough to play through it three times for the special ending, but enough to play through it once.)

Top Bottom