• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold Demo Thread [Story mode only; can transfer to full game]

Nachos

DEMO IS OUT NOW. 1164 BLOCKS.
9uqw2Sm.jpg

This thread is to discuss the demo for Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, which is releasing in America when the eShop updates this Tuesday THURSDAY, two weeks before the release of the full game. NISA will presumably be distributing the demo for Europe as the game nears its February release date next year.

Assuming the demo is the same as the one Japan got, its description on the main English site was mistranslated, so I tried compiling all of the information I could:
  • Story Mode only
  • Can transfer all story mode progress from the demo to the full game (you'll have to restart if you want to play classic mode, unfortunately)
  • Can explore up to three floors in the main dungeon and one floor in the dungeon new to the remake
  • Fafnir unlocks his transformation relatively early into the demo, but he still lacks some skills earned later in the story
  • Guild cards, QR sharing, and Streetpass are disabled in the demo; they'll be available in the full game
  • Limited to 99 grimoire stones in the demo; can hold up to 400 in the full game
  • Grimoire trading and recycling are disabled in the demo, but cooking is still available

• Default party gives you Fafnir (new story mode-exclusive offensive class), sovereign (healing and support class), survivalist (ranged offensive and support class), protector (defensive class), and war magus (swiss army knife with more of a focus on healing and support/debuffs); class change is available, but Fafnir is immutable
  • Can level up all party members to level 10 (giving each character 12 skill points)

• If the demo is like IV's and Untold 1's, the audio quality is lower than what it is in the main game
  • New orchestral soundtrack-only in the demo; can switch between that and classic FM synth soundtrack on the fly in the full game
  • No Japanese audio in the demo or in the full game, but you can mute the voices

Grimoire Stone changes, applicable to the demo and to the full game:
Grimoire Stone Changes said:
  1. You now equip multiple multiple stones containing one skill each
  2. You get more slots as you level up
  3. You can now store up to 400 stones
  4. Grimoire fusion is gone now
  5. You can now sacrifice grimoires to level up a specific one
  6. You can now trade unwanted grimoires with wandering travelers to get new ones; Untold 1 characters will show up if you have clear data
  7. There are now multiple types of grimoire chances, one for each type of skill (normal, which randomly gives a stone of the other three types; active; passive; and enemy); you can also get a premium grimoire chance, which guarantees you get a stone that turn, or grimoire fever, which gives the entire party varied grimoire chances with a higher bias towards premium chances against bosses, FOEs, and shiny enemies
  8. Grimoire skills now stack with skills the class naturally has, up to level 20, and you can check the changes to the skill in the grimoire equip menu; the TP cost can keep going up after level 10
  9. Some skills, like the ronin's stances, have a chance of randomly triggering at the start of battle when they're level ten; the chance of it triggering keeps going up with each additional level

List of available grimoire skills in the demo, translated from Japanese, courtesy of ThatSageGuy, SigmaSlash, and Briheas of GameFAQs:
ThatSageGuy+SigmaSlash+Briheas said:
  1. Kenkara - Raises the users defense for 3 turns.
  2. Tough Shell - Raises the users physical defense for 3 turns.
  3. Needle of the Cornered Rat (STR-based) - Melee stab attack to 1 enemy.
  4. Thread of Entanglement (LUK-based) - Chance to inflict leg bind on 1 enemy row.
  5. Baffling Step (LUK-based) - Chance to inflict confusion to 1 enemy.
  6. Kachiage (STR-based) - Attack: hits 1 enemy plus those adjacent to the target.
  7. Rolling (STR-based) - Damaging attack, hits 1 enemy plus those adjacent to the target.
  8. Knockdown (STR-based) - Melee stab attack to 1 enemy.
  9. Poison Dust (LUK-based) - Arm skill, poison 1 enemy.
  10. Rolling (STR-based) - Melee bash attack to 1 enemy.
  11. Fang of Paralysis (STR/LUK-based) - Melee cut damage to 1 enemy with chance to paralyze.
  12. Rush Beak (STR-based) - Does melee piercing stab damage.
  13. Pollen of Poison (LUK-based) - Chance to poison 1 enemy row.
  14. Predator's Chill (TEC-based) - Does ranged ice damage to all enemies.
  15. Ripping Bite (STR-based) - Does melee splashing base damage.
  16. Coercive Gleam - Lowers the physical defense of 1 row of enemies for 3 turns.
Also, Baffling Step, Kachiage, Fang of Paralysis, Ripping Bite and Coercive Gleam are all from FOEs.

Bolded skills use the descriptions and names from the English version and will be edited as more info comes in.

I can't wait!

Kinda sucks that it doesn't come out tomorrow but we've waited long enough for a new EO game(that isn't Etrian Mystery Dungeon).

It would be the best demo ever if it also had Classic Mode...

ChrisD

To buy this day one, or finish EO IV first...
I know if I download the demo I'll probably jump on that first option. The second would be the wiser.

KarmaCow

Other than the class, is there anything gameplay exclusive to Story mode this time around?

edit: I haven't been keeping with the game at all, I only decided to get it after it was available for a significant discount during E3. How has the Grimoire system, specifically the UI been changed this time around?

As someone interested in this series but intimidated by the number of apparent variants...which is a good one to start with?

Why is this one labeled "2" when there's an EO:IV that came out in 2013? I love classic dungeon crawlers but am not quite sure what makes each of these Etrian games different from each other. Are they iterations on the same formula?

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll probably be trying out this demo regardless to see for myself but I figured I'd ask here so I can clear up some confusion.

Nachos

Uh so is there a separate story mode dungeon with bosses in this one too then?
I assume the new dungeon is story only just like EOU.
Nope, the new dungeon's in classic mode, too. Fafnir is literally the only exclusive.

I haven't been keeping with the game at all, I only decided to get it after it was available for a significant discount during E3. How has the Grimoire system, specifically the UI been changed this time around?
Completely overhauled and significantly more usable/practical. I wrote up some notes about it that I'll try to dig up soon.

Nachos

As someone interested in this series but intimidated by the number of apparent variants...which is a good one to start with?

Why is this one labeled "2" when there's an EO:IV that came out in 2013? I love classic dungeon crawlers but am not quite sure what makes each of these Etrian games different from each other. Are they iterations on the same formula?

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll probably be trying out this demo regardless to see for myself but I figured I'd ask here so I can clear up some confusion.

It's a remake of the second game with an added story mode and extra balance changes. Basically, Roman numerals mean mainline games and Arabic numerals/the Untold label mean remakes.

As for a good introduction, I think IV is generally regarded as the best entry point, and it has a demo that lets you transfer your progress, too.

Delstius

1) EO IV is the best one to start as it's well balanced and the sub-class system is almost flawless.

2) The untold games are (great) remake/reimagining of the previous games. The formula doesn't change much from one game to another, it gets better every time too.

Play 4.

This is a remake of 2.

Kazerei

Banned

Alright lemme sum this up:

Etrian Odyssey (DS, 2007)
Etrian Odyssey II (DS, 2008)
Etrian Odyssey III (DS, 2010)
Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS, 2013)
Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS, 2013) - a remake of EO1
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold (3DS, 2015) - a remake of EO2

I'd recommend starting with EOIV. Lots of features, lots to explore, well balanced gameplay, and IMO the best game in the series. EO Untold is smaller and more basic by comparison. As for the DS games, don't bother, they haven't aged well.

KarmaCow

Nope, the new dungeon's in classic mode, too. Fafnir is literally the only exclusive.

Completely overhauled and significantly more usable/practical. I wrote up some notes about it that I'll try to dig up soon.

Awesome, thanks. I'll try the demo to see if the characters are as annoying as in the first Untold game but I'll most likely go Classic mode.

the coolest damn feature of these demos, being able to transfer save data.

Not sure I'll grab this right away, I fished pq earlier this year and I'm not sure I'm up for a giant dungeon crawler yet

(Is there an overworld in this one like 4? I missed that in Millennial Girl)

KarmaCow

the coolest damn feature of these demos, being able to transfer save data.

Not sure I'll grab this right away, I fished pq earlier this year and I'm not sure I'm up for a giant dungeon crawler yet

(Is there an overworld in this one like 4? I missed that in Millennial Girl)

If it's like EO2, then no. Just a giant contiguous dungeon. Only 4 has the fractured design, though 3 has a separate pseudo-overworld minigame.

As for the DS games, don't bother, they haven't aged well.

I'd like to go back because it feels like the series hasn't evolved that much but even the minute battle speed options in Untold were a god send.

Mozendo

Pretty excited to try the demo since I never played EO2, characters so far seem likeable especially Arianna. Too bad price is too high for me so I won't get this day one.
Can't wait for the EO3 remake

Nachos

Grimoire Stone changes:
  3. You can now store up to 999 stones
  6. You can now trade unwanted grimoires with wandering travelers to get new ones; Untold 1 characters will show up if you have clear data
  7. There are now multiple types of grimoire chances, one for each type of skill (normal, which randomly gives a stone of the other three types; active; passive; and enemy); you can also get a premium grimoire chance, which guarantees you get a stone that turn, or grimoire fever, which gives the entire party premium grimoire chances
  8. Grimoire skills now stack with skills the class naturally has, up to level 20; the TP cost can keep going up after 10
  9. Some skills, like the ronin's stances, have a chance of randomly triggering at the start of battle when they're level ten; the chance of it triggering keeps going up with each additional level
Pretty excited to try the demo since I never played EO2, characters so far seem likeable especially Arianna.
image.php

Poser.

vall03

I've read the skills of the Fafnir and it sounds OP. And from what I read, the Fafnir will be the main damage dealer in Story mode. Also, is it still like EOU wherein after finishing Story mode, you can access Fafnir on Classic? I kinda want to try it out but I'm starting on Classic mode this time.

Nachos

I've read the skills of the Fafnir and it sounds OP. And from what I read, the Fafnir will be the main damage dealer in Story mode. Also, is it still like EOU wherein after finishing Story mode, you can access Fafnir on Classic? I kinda want to try it out but I'm starting on Classic mode this time.
Beating story mode lets you transfer Fafnir to classic, and yeah, he is pretty ridiculous. He's basically an imperial on steroids.

Okay I'm so confused. I had read that the demo was out on the 14th. So is there some inside joke about Thursday?
Typo/delay/#HardinLied. Everyone thought it was Tuesday until today, but it's Thursday.

EO2 turned me off with what I felt was whack difficulty curve in the final strata, and it was a different difficulty than the fair kind present in other EO games.

I never got a 3DS so I'm sad to say I've missed out on the previous Etrian games (bills have piled up...). I'm not sure how I feel about the Untold subseries tho... story in my Etrian Odyssey? lol

But more importantly, where the fuck is the Etrian Odyssey V update. All we have is that debut teaser from last year.

Whizkid7

Grimoire Stone changes:
  3. You can now store up to 999 stones
  7. There are now multiple types of grimoire chances, one for each type of skill (normal, which randomly gives a stone of the other three types; active; passive; and enemy); you can also get a premium grimoire chance, which guarantees you get a stone that turn, or grimoire fever, which gives the entire party premium grimoire chances
  8. Grimoire skills now stack with skills the class naturally has, up to level 20; the TP cost can keep going up after 10

image.php

Poser.

Holy crap, those sound like awesome changes. I'm rushing to finish my Untold playthrough so I can be ready for this, and the Grimoire system is SO TEDIOUS, so this is welcome news!

Nachos

Soon...
This better come out today, I need my dose of EO.
I'm just curious to know how Fafnir handles in the demo. Apparently his normal form is one of the worst classes in the series to compensate for how good he is transformed, but since the demo ends before giving you the chance to test it out, you're just stuck with a bad class. He has 38 agility at level 99.

Holy crap, those sound like awesome changes. I'm rushing to finish my Untold playthrough so I can be ready for this, and the Grimoire system is SO TEDIOUS, so this is welcome news!
Yeah, the grimoire system in Untold 1 had the potential to be an even more robust version of subclassing, since it basically gave every character a free 70 skill points. It's just that because it was so dependent on RNG, it sabotaged any potential utility it could've had. From what I've heard, it's much easier to customize your party now, and king grimoires don't even exist anymore.

Whizkid7

Yeah, the grimoire system in Untold 1 had the potential to be an even more robust version of subclassing, since it basically gave every character a free 70 skill points. It's just that because it was so dependent on RNG, it sabotaged any potential utility it could've had. From what I've heard, it's much easier to customize your party now, and king grimoires don't even exist anymore.

Oh thank god. Who the heck thought grimoires you could only get through extremely specific conditions was a good idea, anyway?!

Nachos

Demo is up now. Downloading!

1164 Blocks for those who need a reference.
Cool, added that to the OP. Can't wait to check this out in a bit.

Oh thank god. Who the heck thought grimoires you could only get through extremely specific conditions was a good idea, anyway?!
The same company that, for years, had you constantly go through the most repetitive button presses to shuffle through the same skills for hours until you got exactly the ones you wanted.

Top Bottom