• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU leaders reach an agreement on migration after late-night summit

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said he was satisfied by the deal, adding that Rome would decide later on whether to host centers for migrants.

"We are satisfied," Conte told reporters emerging after nine hours of talks with his peers in Brussels. "It was a long negotiation but from today Italy is no longer alone."

He listed the elements of the agreement, including the possibility of setting up migrant centers in EU countries to decide on asylum requests, but he made it clear Italy had not yet decided on whether to have such a site on its territory.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/29/eu-...ent-on-migration-after-late-night-summit.html

It's really great news as it looks like sanity slowly returns to Europe and interestingly the chosen conclusions are exactly what V4 was proposing for all those years.

-setting migration centers to handle requests
-handling migration outside of EU
-making realocation of refugees non mandatory

Bl@de

It's nothing because it's non mandatory. So nothing changes. Poland, Hungary, etc. will say "no thanks" and all the centers will relocate people to Germany and other willing countries. And migrants can still throw away their papers and hide beneath all the bureaucracy. Countries in Africa will say "no thanks ... unless you give me loads of cash to my corrupt government" and then ship people to Germany and other willing countries.

It's really great news as it looks like sanity slowly returns to Europe and interestingly the chosen conclusions are exactly what V4 was proposing for all those years.
Not really. Because it is not mandatory.
Basically governments will decide themselves whether they should host or not host incoming people.

P.s. does that mean that countries now can officially refuse and do nothing? No wonder Conte was so happy

Last edited:

Greedings

Brexit will be the test of the EU. If the UK comes out smelling of roses (which I admit, is highly unlikely considering the current leadership), this whole problem will boil over as other countries see that they can indeed survive without Merkel.

danielberg

Neophyte
It's nothing because it's non mandatory. So nothing changes. Poland, Hungary, etc. will say "no thanks" and all the centers will relocate people to Germany and other willing countries.

Well duh thats the decision, its now legal to say no and its now legal to say yes. Dont see a issue with this, if Germany wants to self flagellate for past sins thats their choice.

It's nothing because it's non mandatory. So nothing changes. Poland, Hungary, etc. will say "no thanks" and all the centers will relocate people to Germany and other willing countries. And migrants can still throw away their papers and hide beneath all the bureaucracy. Countries in Africa will say "no thanks ... unless you give me loads of cash to my corrupt government" and then ship people to Germany and other willing countries.
well EU made a deal with Turkey and they hold the most amount of refugees. You could say giving loads of cash to a corrupt government is a necessary evil.

Dunki

Yeah this does not change ANYTHING for Germany and while this is happening the AFD is now the second biggest Political Group in Bayern. Good Job Merkel for not understanding what german people really want. And this point I hope for the EU to fucking break because they became so fucking Useless and so out of touch with reality and not only in this issue.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
I have an Italian co-worker who is a hardcore liberal and she explained the situation with Italy and the refugees/migrants/NGOs etc. There is serious fuckery going on behind the scenes. In any conflicting situation there could be a good solution if other people weren't screwing it up for everyone. Eg. Illegal immigration for reasons of "I want a better life" instead of "I'm being prosecuted or face certain death".

I recently started watching David Rubin again and many of his guests are intelligent folks who pretty much agree Europe's blind "progressivism" has f*ed them for generations to come. It's like they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

andrespi

Didn't Italy say they would close the ports for NGO boats for the whole summer?
Yes, they said that and I hope they will keep the promise; for now the new government has always done it and kept the promise, we will see if this continues.

It's just insane how things have been done until now. We have been having dozens of ships (run by foreign ngos of which 90% with foreign flags), taking these immigrants on boats in international waters and sometimes even in lybian waters and just dumping them on italian shores and on italian taxpayers.

I mean as an Italian, I'm really angry by Macron behaviour. France (and several other european countries) have already said they won't build these "migrant centers" and italy specifically should have them, completely contradicting what this deal was supposed to be about (so that arriving at Italians shores is arriving in EU and immigrants should be redistributed). We are overrun and as always Italy is being left alone, instead of promising that they will be redistributed fairly between all countries. I don't even know what do we need the EU for if other countries are just completely ignoring this emergency.

Right now EU is being useless and Italians are completely left alone. It's especially funny that Macron has described us as "vomitevoli" (disgusting people) just a few days ago for refusing foreign NGOS' boats but yet they have said that France won't have any of these new centers and are constantly blocking immigrants at our borders.

I always used to be an EU "remainer" when I was younger, never convinced by eu leaver positions before but after this I'm starting to think it is really time for Italy to leave EU and it should break; we are the third highest paying country towards the EU, and we always give more money than what we receive from the EU, and yet other countries have already said Italy should deal alone with these migrants and refuse any kind of fair redistribution of migrants (look what Macron just said yesterday; countries of first arrivals should deal with them). After this I'm really hoping the EU breaks.

P.S.: just saw a new video by the founder of Open Arms, a spanish NGO saying that Italy should accept them and not ignore them. He even admitted that they used to take migrants at only 7 miles from Lybian coasts. I don't even know why we should accept a spanish ngo dumping migrants on our shores. Just bring them to spain since you are a spanish ngo.

Last edited:

Jmarshall

So...............what Nigel Farage suggested two years ago to the consternation and outrage within the European Parliament.

And Europeans act so surprised when we rightly decided to leave this shitshow.

Last edited:

Dunki

I have an Italian co-worker who is a hardcore liberal and she explained the situation with Italy and the refugees/migrants/NGOs etc. There is serious fuckery going on behind the scenes. In any conflicting situation there could be a good solution if other people weren't screwing it up for everyone. Eg. Illegal immigration for reasons of "I want a better life" instead of "I'm being prosecuted or face certain death".

I recently started watching David Rubin again and many of his guests are intelligent folks who pretty much agree Europe's blind "progressivism" has f*ed them for generations to come. It's like they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
The only way to stop all this shit are camps outside of the EU there is no other way around. And Germany needs also to stop letting people in for a certain time to cope with all these new refugees. As an Example in NRW one Bundesland of Germany there are more refugees than in all of Italy. And NRW is also the place where a lot of shit like knife attacks are happening. They are so many now that the gov here decided that no one is allowed to carry knifes anymore. So instead of solving the issue why they just do not allow knifes..... I really hope your government will break this shit is ridiculous.

Bl@de

Well duh thats the decision, its now legal to say no and its now legal to say yes. Dont see a issue with this, if Germany wants to self flagellate for past sins thats their choice.

There is no issue with it. But I think a lot of people in Germany won't like it so much. And it's no solution (German media present it as the end of the migrant crisis ... which it isn't)

On the other hand ... Germans love to work and pay taxes. So it will all work out for the current government.

Cato

Banned
There is no issue with it. But I think a lot of people in Germany won't like it so much. And it's no solution (German media present it as the end of the migrant crisis ... which it isn't)

On the other hand ... Germans love to work and pay taxes. So it will all work out for the current government.

Germany loves a perpetual crisis that keeps their currency artificially low and keeps german export industry running in fifth gear.

Bluntman

So...............what Nigel Farage suggested two years ago to the consternation and outrage within the European Parliament.

And Europeans act so surprised when we rightly decided to leave this shitshow.

Our prime minister, Viktor Orbán suggested these first in all of EU afaik, not that it makes much difference.

Things like:
- strict EU border control
- keeping refugee camps outside of EU
- uphelding the Schengen laws
- strict checking of immigrants, no wilkommen for everyone
- the threats of Islam culture and terrorism
- no mandatory quotas
- bringing the help to where its needed so these people can stay and rebuild their own home country
- no one come as a "refugee" only for seeking a better life

He was labelled a xenophobic nazi nationalist evil through the years of course for what is just common sense. But look where we are now. Not that this agreement is perfect, far from it but a good first step finally.

Yeah that's why I said common sense is returning to Eu - we should have done that 2 years ago but Macron and Merkel dropping their plans of forced realocation against will of other member states is good progress.

Bluntman

Yeah that's why I said common sense is returning to Eu - we should have done that 2 years ago but Macron and Merkel dropping their plans of forced realocation against will of other member states is good progress.

Yes but there is a fine print to this unfortunately and even Orbán was careful with his wording about this.

Thing is there won't be forced relocations from camps to be created after this agreement.

There is nothing about the forced relocation of migrants already in.

daibaron

Banned
Yes, they said that and I hope they will keep the promise; for now the new government has always done it and kept the promise, we will see if this continues.

It's just insane how things have been done until now. We have been having dozens of ships (run by foreign ngos of which 90% with foreign flags), taking these immigrants on boats in international waters and sometimes even in lybian waters and just dumping them on italian shores and on italian taxpayers.

I mean as an Italian, I'm really angry by Macron behaviour. France (and several other european countries) have already said they won't build these "migrant centers" and italy specifically should have them, completely contradicting what this deal was supposed to be about (so that arriving at Italians shores is arriving in EU and immigrants should be redistributed). We are overrun and as always Italy is being left alone, instead of promising that they will be redistributed fairly between all countries. I don't even know what do we need the EU for if other countries are just completely ignoring this emergency.

Right now EU is being useless and Italians are completely left alone. It's especially funny that Macron has described us as "vomitevoli" (disgusting people) just a few days ago for refusing foreign NGOS' boats but yet they have said that France won't have any of these new centers and are constantly blocking immigrants at our borders.

I always used to be an EU "remainer" when I was younger, never convinced by eu leaver positions before but after this I'm starting to think it is really time for Italy to leave EU and it should break; we are the third highest paying country towards the EU, and we always give more money than what we receive from the EU, and yet other countries have already said Italy should deal alone with these migrants and refuse any kind of fair redistribution of migrants (look what Macron just said yesterday; countries of first arrivals should deal with them). After this I'm really hoping the EU breaks.

P.S.: just saw a new video by the founder of Open Arms, a spanish NGO saying that Italy should accept them and not ignore them. He even admitted that they used to take migrants at only 7 miles from Lybian coasts. I don't even know why we should accept a spanish ngo dumping migrants on our shores. Just bring them to spain since you are a spanish ngo.

Macron should apologise to Italy and its people.

We need another Ghadafi back in libia.

Top Bottom