• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Legend of Zelda eShop Sale is single use code only [Now Fixed]

Springy

Mostly, no.

The 3ds game has the Wii u dlc on card, while the Wii u didn't get the 3ds dlc beyond the characters (which has an option to purchase for both systems at a discount). However the Wii u version didn't get any of the 3ds versions adventure maps or similar.
Thank you for explaining. So the characters sound like how Smash handled it.

Glass

Chances of these games being playable on the Switch? Don't have a Wii U but want to take advantage of the offer and get Wind Waker HD on my account to play at some stage on the Switch.

Smasher89

Chances of these games being playable on the Switch? Don't have a Wii U but want to take advantage of the offer and get Wind Waker HD on my account to play at some stage on the Switch.

You assume the account isn't console locked. This aint sony.

That said, I dont think they haven't talked about that part at all yet, more then its not backwards compatible i think.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Like cross-buy? Very unlikely. I think cross-buy has only ever been a thing for eShop games. Virtual Console games have gotten large discounts when activating the license on a new console, but this wouldn't count as a Virtual Console game as it'd likely be impossible for Switch to emulate Wii U at this stage.

If WWHD comes to Switch, it'd have to be ported over. For that reason, I could see it being bundled with something like TPHD and sold at $40-$60. Because it'd have to be a port made after the original development, I would expect Nintendo to charge for the new versions. I would not count on any Wii U game licenses transferring to Switch beyond maybe VC titles. With eShop games, we're already seeing developers charge prices for Switch ports (Shovel Knight, the Tomorrow Corporation games, etc.), so I'm doubtful we'll see any cross-buy between Switch and older hardware. Look at MK8D as an example of how Nintendo will likely handle Wii U ports. Actually, for the best example, look at Breath of the Wild.

(For the record, I expect a new view of license ownership with Switch and the new account system, so I think we could see what you're suggesting going forward. However, I do not expect that to extend backwards to Wii U beyond maaaybe VC games.)

Glass

Thanks for the replies guys. First Nintendo console since the Gamecube, need to get used to how Nintendo do their thing!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the replies guys. First Nintendo console since the Gamecube, need to get used to how Nintendo do their thing!

I really (perhaps it's delusional of me) expect that things are going to change going forward on Switch because of the talk they've made about the Nintendo Account system. Switch also seems prime for multiple iterations (early talk about NX suggested this with the "family of systems" idea, and Nvidia's comments on the chips support this, too), so I bet it's part of the plan. I just think it's going to start with Switch and only Switch.

If you're jumping in with Switch, I think you'll be in a good position in Nintendo's ecosystem.

Top Bottom