• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU PSN - January Sale is now Live

gragy10

My first experience of Sony's Xmas sale strategy and neither I nor my Vita are mad.
(my memory card, not so much)

12 Days of Xmas Haul:

Lone Survivor
Killzone: Mercenary
Persona4: Golden

January Sale Haul:

Jet Set Radio
Assassin's Creed Liberation
Muramasa Rebirth
Virtua Tennis 4
Everybody's Golf
Little Deviants

Fasty

Grabbed Need for Speed: Most Wanted for Vita for $13 or something ridiculous and I'm addicted. It's really suited to the Vita, but it would be nice if some of the fonts were bigger. Was expecting terrible graphics from reading various reports on teh web, but was pleasantly surprised, maybe because my expecations were set so low. Seems like quite a few other people must have grabbed it as well, there are heaps of folks in the multiplayer!

Billy Lee

There are only 2 games on the Vita sale now: Army Corps of Hell and Blood Bowl. I thought the sale didn't end til the 22nd of January? I was going to get Muramasa Rebirth.

Siegmeyer

I can only buy one GAF. Guide me.

Okami HD or Ni No Kuni?

I played both for the first time this year, and I'd say Okami easily. It's a loooong ass game (perhaps too long), but still an enjoyable Zelda clone. NNK was gorgeous, but I was really put off by the combat, a hybrid of real-time and turn based which I don't think worked at all. It would have been much better going with one or the other (imo).

I think overall Okami is the better game, but for £5 or so, Ni No Kuni HAS to be bought!

Not sure when I will actually play it, but my PS3 will be next to the TV for many years to come!

skynidas

Banned
With this sale I bought
  • Ni no Kuni
  • Brothers
  • Muramasa
  • DMC HD
  • Jet Set Radio for the Vita

I did good right?

Ie17FZ6.gif

Metalmarc

Last £18 what i got

Mirrors Edge
Fifa Street
Dead Space 3

hmmmm may not be my best buys ever

But before That i got

Resident Evil Revelaitons
Dead Rising Off The Record
Tony Hawks HD
Splinter Cell Trilogy
Shaun Whites Snowboarding (got a feeling i shouldve bought SSX)
EDIT: Jetset radio ps3
Also Had a code off Sony to get Sly Trilogy for £6

I have so many digital games i wish sony wouldve allowed us to download the digital games to the ps4 hdd like we can psp on vita
:( even if i had to rebuy all the ps3 ps+ ftee ones i wouldve.

Okami HD or Ni No Kuni?

I've only played a couple of hours on NNK whereas I finished Okami back on the PS2 (and I own both digitally on my PS3), but I would say Okami. They're both very Japanesey in their style, slow pace and execution, but Okami has IMO much better combat and exploration and the Celestial Brush mechanic is better than anything in NNK.

Both great games though, and £6 for NNK is a bargain. If you have the money and about 100 hours spare I would really recommend both.

You sure you didn't switch the names around? NNK is filled to the brim with design flaws and takes forever to start, whereas Okami (despite its slow startup) is a fantastic game overall.

I say go for Okami HD. NNK will likely appear in a later sale.

Nope. Okami is a slow plodding tedious game throughout. NNK has charm and character that's enjoyable throughout.

Nope. Okami is a slow plodding tedious game throughout. NNK has charm and character that's enjoyable throughout.

To be fair, you could say that about both of them. NNK takes an age to get started and from what I understand the pacing is pretty wonky. Okami has too much needless exposition, but I think after the opening chapter is picks up a lot of pace and becomes very enjoyable. Its main problem is that it goes on too long.

Siegmeyer

Is SSX worth a punt? Loved the PS2 games, but wasn't that impressed by the demo for SSX 2012 (and I was expecting to love it).

To be fair, you could say that about both of them. NNK takes an age to get started and from what I understand the pacing is pretty wonky. Okami has too much needless exposition, but I think after the opening chapter is picks up a lot of pace and becomes very enjoyable. Its main problem is that it goes on too long.

I certainly can't remember NNK being too slow to start, but if it was it didn't feel it to me. Probably because of the colour and charm the game had kept me interested and wanting to play on. But on the whole was a joy to play and had me hooked. Okami drags on for too long and far and away outstays it's welcome. I never wanted NNK to end unlike Okami which never wants to end.

Okami HD or Ni No Kuni?

If you like JRPGs and Studio Ghibli then Ni no Kuni is about as bewitching a game as you could hope to play. It's gorgeous, hugely endearing and it's one of the few big-budgeted JRPGs of last gen to make an easy transition to HD. Okami's a slog through one of the most poorly-paced games ever developed. It'll do in five hours what most games would get through in 30 minutes. It drags and drags from start to finish.

admartian

Missed out on NBA 2k14 - was ready to buy the other day with the thought that it finished on the 22nd o Jan but it was full price. Why don't they sort by sale end date. :(

Would've bought it a lot earlier. Now they don't have a sale. :(

Also can't make my mind up on whether to get Rayman Legends (PS3) or wait for the PS4 version.

Woah people consider Ni No Kuni to be slow?
News to me!
I mean it takes a few hours until you get your full party I guess but I'm not seeing it other than that.....

It takes like 15 hours for the combat system to properly enable and for the game to get going, and then the combat doesn't have enough depth to entertain all the way to the end of the game let alone post game

I like the game for the charm and for playing like a good old fashioned rpg but the pacing is poor and the combat could use a lot of work

Then again okami gets repetitive and dull shortly after the first false ending and the gameplay loop feels really formulaic by then, it also has pretty poor combat mechanics, but is again very charming and also has good music (ni no kuni sadly has ear grating generic music, really dissapointing since the music in ghibli films is generally very good)

bought mass effect 3, nino kuno, tales of grace f. Also bought the last of us (christmas sale)

Thinking to get mass effect, dragon age, crysis and maybe kingdom of amalur.

Was gonna get bioshock but its late

Was finally tempted by Danganronpa until I read a review which completely put me off (even if the rest of the review was very positive)

there’s too much reliance on clichéd anime plot twists such as amnesia, split personalities, and gender confusion. And despite a number of strong female characters the game still manages to have a panty fetish and indulge in a lot of creepy-looking artwork"

Was finally tempted by Danganronpa until I read a review which completely put me off (even if the rest of the review was very positive)

there’s too much reliance on clichéd anime plot twists such as amnesia, split personalities, and gender confusion. And despite a number of strong female characters the game still manages to have a panty fetish and indulge in a lot of creepy-looking artwork"

That's your lose. Game is great.

If you have some experience exposure to Japan medias you can guess most of the twists coming too. I was only surprised by the final boss because I
forget about the boss
. And I should have guessed it in hindsight since it very clichéd too. detective kindaichi should have prepared me for that but that series make them more memorable and hinted them better.

As a side note the developer of the game actually made a Kindaichi X Conan game for DS before. He really rips off a lot from the genre =/
That's your lose. Game is great.
It's decent but there are better alternatives with VLR, 999 and the ace attorney series.

Mendrox

LOL buy the fucking game and thank us later. Fuck reviews. Danganronpa 1+2 are my GOTYs 2014

...but that is your loss.

Uthred

If by "too much reliance" you mean they exist then yes they are in the game, it doesnt particularly rely on them though. It's also amusing to see them referred to as anime cliches considering how frequently they show up in numerous other media, where theyre equally cliched. Havent played the game since release but I dont recall much if any
panty shots
and as for
"creepy-looking artwork"
beyond the games defaulty style (which admittedly may be hit or miss) there really isnt much. To each their own of course but they seem like fairly shallow reasons to miss out on a pretty good game.

If by "too much reliance" you mean they exist then yes they are in the game, it doesnt particularly rely on them though. It's also amusing to see them referred to as anime cliches considering how frequently they show up in numerous other media, where theyre equally cliched. Havent played the game since release but I dont recall much if any
panty shots
and as for
"creepy-looking artwork"
beyond the games defaulty style (which admittedly may be hit or miss) there really isnt much. To each their own of course but they seem like fairly shallow reasons to miss out on a pretty good game.
When the tropes let you guess the story and twists easily(and not in a clever way but in a I saw this in abc and xyz before, ! ) , it matters. He still have the superior VLR to play now anyway, this can wait .

In the second round, I bought Fairy Fencer F, Tears to Tiara II and Resonance of Fate.

I was actually shocked that Resonance of Fate had JP voices, I was sure it was EN only and resigned myself to have my ears bleed, then checked audio options and my mind was blown. So happy for this.

Uthred

When the tropes let you guess the story and twists easily(and not in a clever way but in a I saw this in abc and xyz before, ! ) , it matters. He still have the superior VLR to play now anyway, this can wait .

At least if they play Danganronpa they'd be spared VLR's ending

Memory

You might still like it, i found it to be servicable but not very entertaining. Its over hyped on Gaf though so expect to be attacked for your post lol

Patrick Klepek said that the game was lampooning those tropes in an ironic way?

Top Bottom