• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean |OT| "Don't fight it, feel it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
AXf7n.png

Psalms of Planets: Eureka Seven

uQNpV.png

"It's how high you are, and how long it takes to heal"
Eureka seven, was an original TV anime which originally aired in April 2005 to April 2006. The original series lasted 50 episodes and was headed by Director Tomoki Kyoda, writer Dai Sato, character designer Kenichi Yoshida and animated by studio BONES. Originally proposed as a Bandai Visual vehicle to studio BONES and as the anchor of a multimedia project (TV, manga, games, toys, models, etc), the creators in charge of the series instead approached the series in a much more personal matter.

Eureka Seven was about love, war, isolation, harmony and tolerance, but more than anything else it was about growing up and finding and understanding ones place in the world. Whether it was the naive 14 year old Renton who yearned to be a grown up and explore the world and its skies, or the stubborn 29 year old Holland, suffering from arrested development, refusing to face his responsibilities as an adult, the series put its cast through a gauntlet of emotional and physical trauma that would leave no character unchanged at its conclusion.

Worth mentioning also, is that one of the things that set Eureka Seven apart was just how "global" it was at it's core. Influenced and informed as much by the music of New Order as it was by the worldwide political climate of the time, the series developed its very own and unique personality. For a series that aired on 7am on Sunday it was unashamedly political, espoused environmental values and still found the time to feature robots duking it out amidst the clouds set to techno!

The franchise has remained dormant since 2006, aside from appearances in popular video games such as Super Robot Wars.

Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean

UW8Fu.jpg

"New Generation"

A sequel to the original TV anime, Eureka Seven AO (Astral Ocean) stars a young boy named Ao Fukai who lives on the island of Okinawa along with his friend Naru Arata. Ao's mother disappeared when he was a young child and lives with his guardian, Dr. Toshio Fukai. Ao's life is shaken up by the conflict between the alien Scub Coral, the military and a mysterious enemy named "the secret."

Returning director Tomoki Kyoda spearheads this new series with a mostly new group of supporting players, from character designer to mecha designer, lending a a very different look and feel to the characters and robots of this new series, however key staff from the original that are returning consist of art director Kazuo Nagai, DP Shunya Kimura and colorist Nobuko Mizuta, hopefully maintining some semblance of visual continuity with the first series.

Original character designer Kenichi Yoshida returns as well, providing designs for the two lead characters, and VFX director Yasushi Muraki will also return, assuring that no matter what, Astral Ocean will feature some kick ass mecha action.

As far as writing duties, the person credited for Series Compisition is named Kakuto Takeyoshi, there is little to no information on who this person is, the likelihood that a complete 100% unknown is suddenly in charge of a series like this seems slim to me, so in all likelihood this could actually be a pen name. If I were to guess who, I would say it was for the director. Interestingly, writer Shou Aikawa (original Fullmetal Alchemist, Oh! Edo Rocket, Ayakashi Ayashi) is also credited as writer on all 4 first episodes.

"Black Market Music"
The original E7 was lathered in musical influences, whether it were shoutouts, references, or feeling like it was straight up based on the music of select artists, the sheer volume of musical culture represented in the original series played a good part in getting people interested in the series.. In addition, the series featured a plethora of insert songs by many electronica artists, but perhaps its most iconic song was "Storywriter" by the Japanese band SUPERCAR.

While original composer Naoki Sato, who worked on all of the previous series' orchestral work is not returning here, original SUPERCAR singer, songwriter and guitarist, and current solo artist Koji Nakamura will be handling scoring duties on this new series, emphasizing a more rock influence rather than electronica in its soundtrack.

The practice of naming episodes after albums, songs and lyrics will continue in AO.

White Surf Style 5

ljiHn.jpg

And yes, as mentioned above, the robots surf. In the sky. While in the original Eureka Seven, essentially all of the robots used surfboards to float through the skies (thanks to the ingenuity of a bunch of stoner scientists), the new robots revealed so far for Eureka Seven AO seem to be a bit more eclectic and reflect a more future sci-fi over the top militaristic design

The new spec of the Nirvash, the signature mech of the series however will still feature its board, and will feature at least two color schemes in the beginning of the series.

"The Rolling People"

Staff:

Director: Tomoki Kyoda (Eureka Seven)
Series Composition: Kakuto Takeyoshi
Key Character Design: Kenichi Yoshida (Eureka Seven, Overman King Gainer)
Character Design: Hiroyuki Oda (Oreimo)
Nirvash Design: Shoji Kawamori (Macross, Escaflowne, Eureka Seven)
Mecha Design: Kanetake Ebikawa, Kimitoshi Yamane, Takayuki Yanase
Design: Shiho Takeuchi (Rahxephon), Shigeto Koyama (Eureka Seven, Diebuster, Star Driver)
VFX Director: Yasushi Muraki (BONES)
Music: Koji Nakamura (SUPERCAR)
Animation Production: BONES (BONES)

Cast:

The two leads are both relatively young newcomers, Ao's VA is 16 years old

Yuutaro Motoshiro as Ao Fukai

McGWd.jpg

Kanako Miyamoto as Naru Arata

qVQEv.jpg

Katsunosuke Hori as Toshio Fukai
Ayaka Ohashi as Fleur Blanc
Chiaki Omigawa as Elena Peoples
Takuya Kirimoto as Gazelle
Chie Nakamura as Rebecka Halstrom

Official Website: http://eurekaao-prj.net/
Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/EUREKA_AO
Full Official Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgFwb3kg_n8

As of this moment there is no officially announced english language stream of Eureka Seven AO

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh, nice. So, should I be excited? Or have low expectations?
I think you'd be better served by having no preconceived notions at all.

I don't know what Im expecting at this point. I havent read the manga at all, the manga for the first series was hardly faithful to the original, and someone already pointed out differences between the anime and existing manga chapters based on promo screencaps, so thats that.

frostbyte

Hoping this is good!

If I'm disappointed, I"ll be consoled by watching the superior original Eureka 7.

My plan can't go wrong.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Needs more highlighting of Omigawa, but otherwise you did a good job with this thread. Really looking forward to all that delicious Bones Mechanical animation!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There's no way AO is going to be better than E7. No way.

The original was so unbelievably good in both narrative and art. Man....

Lain

I hope Elena has little screen time and/or dies in action, so Omigawa doesn't get to taint this show too much.

Jarmel

Banned

It's a travesty we haven't gotten a good game for the franchise. The mechanics seem like they would be a blast to both work with and to play. The games were bad to okay at best but they showed the potential the franchise has.

It's so odd how BONES has failed to follow up on popular series such as this and Darker than Black until now.

After the second season of DTB, that might not be a bad thing.

--

Also would like to point out that the show is going to have a minimum of 26 episodes it seems from the current preorder count for the BDs and the BDs have english subs if you want to import.

If I remember correctly the movie was an alternate version wasn't it? I remember some of the characters in it turned into assholes.

Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen here, assuming that any of the previous cast makes an appearance.

If I remember correctly the movie was an alternate version wasn't it? I remember some of the characters in it turned into assholes.

Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen here, assuming that any of the previous cast makes an appearance.

Yeah the movie was kind of an alternate universe thing.
There was a part where they get a look into the tv series universe and see the Moon that got engraved with Renton and Eureka's name but overall the movie was terrible and should be avoided.

Tokubetsu

Given that it's supposedly a 2 cour (~26 episode) series I highly doubt the pacing will be as terrible as it was in the original.

Doakes was pretty much the only reason why I watched Dexter. :(

Keeping expectations in check...just in case.

Grzi

that one has lazy editing
this one at least tries

I don't really like AMVs, I only posted that one because it's an official AMV (which is pretty interesting, I can't remember any other official AMVs) and the song is great. It evokes some nice memories of the show.

Ultimadrago

I'll check this one out, but haven't seen the original. And no I'm not going to watch the original first, no time, list full!

Blind run I goooo!

Doakes was pretty much the only reason why I watched Dexter. :(

Good man. My favorite and best part of the whole thing without a doubt.

suzu

Thought the first show was all right (I liked the music the most). Still going in with low expectations. lol.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm slightly optimistic, and by that I mean that I can't imagine this being worse than the horrible Kiddy Grade Sequel.

BluWacky

Even the best of studios will always have a few episodes where the budget is lower, and therefore the animation isn't as good.

Yes, but this is Bones. We're never going to be talking yashigani levels of rubbish, here - the show's always going to look "very good" to "great". Say what you will about the quality of the writing of their recent output, but on a technical level the studio remains unsurpassed in their commitment to consistently good art and animation.

As an audience we're far more likely to notice when the animation quality skyrockets in a show like this than when it dips, because the standard will be generally so high.

I don't see this as hyperbole; Bones as an animation studio may not show some of the "avant garde" flair of old Madhouse, but for consistent quality there are few to no studios that compare.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yes, but this is Bones. We're never going to be talking yashigani levels of rubbish, here - the show's always going to look "very good" to "great". Say what you will about the quality of the writing of their recent output, but on a technical level the studio remains unsurpassed in their commitment to consistently good art and animation.

As an audience we're far more likely to notice when the animation quality skyrockets in a show like this than when it dips, because the standard will be generally so high.

I don't see this as hyperbole; Bones as an animation studio may not show some of the "avant garde" flair of old Madhouse, but for consistent quality there are few to no studios that compare.

That's true, Bones generally does a good job at keeping episodes consistent. So I'll just change my statement to

Omigawa will be the best part about this show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom