• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Did Nintendo download a Mario ROM and sell it back to us?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't have an ethical problem with Nintendo doing what they did. However, I'm far more disturbed at the possibility that they actually lost their original ROM. Like seriously, how the hell do you lose that??

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I don't have an ethical problem with Nintendo doing what they did. However, I'm far more disturbed at the possibility that they actually lost their original ROM. Like seriously, how the hell do you lose that??
It's not completely unheard for Developers to lose the source code to their games but lately particularly speaking Japanese developers are the one losing track of their codes that pre date the 2000s from what I noticed.

I don't care it's their own property or how common the practice is among publishers. It's fucked up that a company that condemn people for using emulators and roms actually does exactly what they condemn. It's hypocritical at best.

I think people are forgetting how long it's been too. The last official NES game was released 23 years ago now. And the oldest Famicom stuff dates back to 1983 (which is 34 years). Archiving a vast library of physical ROMs would be difficult for that period even ignoring things like natural disasters and hardware malfunctions , and source code would be even worse, the only long term digital storage device used in 1983 that people would even recognize as a valid storage type today is magnetic tape, and even then very few people outside of commercial enterprise data archiving would have seen one these days and even then it's unlikely that magnetic tape from 86 would work on any kind of reader you'd have convenient access too today.

Vamphuntr

So they are lazy and simply downloading ROMS from the web and charging outrageous prices for them. They are probably incompetent at archiving their own games too.

foltzie1

It is surprising that it seems to only be this ROM.

Someone at Nintendo certainly has a copy of Mario Bros floating around to rip their own copy if they didn't have access to source code.

It's not like it was a copy of Bandai's Stadium Events.

RedSwirl

Yeah, I think most Japanese game developers don't archive their masters at all, or didn't until very recently.

All this really shows is that piracy has consistently been the most effective way to preserve video games, or at least has been more effective than the developers themselves.

I'm sure it's been said before, but most ROM dumping tools automatically insert the standard NES rom header as well.

It's really not surprising that most of these companies don't have their original master roms agree 30 years.

udivision

It's really not surprising that most of these companies don't have their original master roms agree 30 years.

Does the industry then have to accept that yes, roms/emulation are actually essential to the preservation of games because the original property owners haven't done a good enough job themselves? I roll my eyes when people say that, but it seems to be true.

Does the industry then have to accept that yes, roms/emulation are actually essential to the preservation of games because the original property owners haven't done a good enough job themselves? I roll my eyes when people say that, but it seems to be true.

I mean... You're really late to the party if that is the hill you're going to bury yourself on. Sony and Nintendo already solidified roms and emulation as their means of preservation last generation.

It's too late to bemoan Miyamoto not backing up the original Mario source code every time a new storage medium came to prominence. Unless of course you have a time machine.

The Boat

I'm sure it's been said before, but most ROM dumping tools automatically insert the standard NES rom header as well.

It has, but no one cares, most people just read the thread title and jump in for potshots.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's not completely unheard for Developers to lose the source code to their games but lately particularly speaking Japanese developers are the one losing track of their codes that pre date the 2000s from what I noticed.

Sure, but I expect that for tiny studios that might have gone under a long time ago. Not a large multinational company that's been around for 3 decades.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by stealing your own ROM from someone who stole it from you. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Virtual Console games for either system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and rip your own ROM or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Paz

Sure, but I expect that for tiny studios that might have gone under a long time ago. Not a large multinational company that's been around for 3 decades.

Sega has apparently lost a lot of source code over the years, Panzer Dragoon Saga is a famous example that gets mentioned every now and then.

Though I'd be surprised if Nintendo managed to lose SMB's source.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by stealing your own ROM from someone who stole it from you. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Virtual Console games for either system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and rip your own ROM or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Perfect

Head.spawn

I mean...it's their IP. A little lazy maybe, but I can't honestly fault them for this.

They have all this bs rhetoric they spew everytime they send a cease and desist about protecting their IP and not legitimizing piracy... I'd say using the fruits that game preservation has provided and using it to profit is absolutely legitimizing it. Now they have the nerve to start an online service giving a free ROM to use each month as bait. If this actually the case i couldn't possibly think of a better case of legitimizing it.

Like eventually someone is going to be playing their own cart rip that is sold to them from Nintendo, lol.

eso76

Yeah, i'm also on the "it's their IP, i don't care where they got the rom from, it's theirs".

Now, a much worse scenario would be if they stole the code of a NES emulator someone else developed.

On the other hand, Nintendo should realise, or aknowledge, they probably gained from emulation, in general, more than they lost, being able to sell their old games (someone else preserved) again.

Also; sure, you can download the same rom for free. Uh..yes, so ? you're not buying a special ROM from Nintendo itself, you're buying the right to use it.
(mind you, i am absolutely NOT against emulation or complete romsets)

KarmaCow

Moreover, it's Super Mario Bros. I can understand them not keeping around the source code Earthbound 0 or Star Fox 2 but not arguably the most important game to Nintendo's existence as a video game company.

And either way, this isn't like Capcom using an IGN watermarked Okami pic for the boxart. It's that Nintendo is using the same tools developed by the community they completely denounce.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Didn't NERD/Mobiclip develop it? I would believe it was easier for them to download a ROM then get access to NOJ's archives.

AgeEighty

Like I said on the last page, it's not that they "lost" it, it's that they very likely never saw it as a priority to keep it. The attitude of most Japanese devs from the '80s through the mid aughts was that once the game is finished and pressed on distribution media, the digital assets are no longer needed. Archiving wasn't seen as a necessity. That's why Square-Enix had to rebuild Final Fantasy IX largely from scratch to make ports.

Moreover, it's Super Mario Bros. I can understand them not keeping around the source code Earthbound 0 or Star Fox 2 but not arguably the most important game to Nintendo's existence as a video game company.

And either way, this isn't like Capcom using an IGN watermarked Okami pic for the boxart. It's that Nintendo is using the same tools developed by the community they completely denounce.

Because Nintendo knew in 1985 that it'd be their most valuable property... At the time, that was Donkey Kong, and they didn't keep that either. Why would they? Archival media at the time was limited to wonky tape drives. We do know they kept the original design documents, and in many ways even today that's way more valuable.

Keep in mind, source code from the time was pure assembly. 6502 asm code was essentially worthless for anything but the nes... You'd have to rewrite the game from scratch anyways, in that instance the original design documents explaining the underlying systems were likely more useful since they weren't held back by physical space (even notes in the original source would have had to been brief to conserve data).

balgajo

lol
This joke never gets you old.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know this really has no baring on whether they kept their own backup or not, just that they chose the easy option.

The fact they can still dig up old level designs drawn on graph paper for SMB makes me believe they have archived this stuff somewhere.

I don't care it's their own property or how common the practice is among publishers. It's fucked up that a company that condemn people for using emulators and roms actually does exactly what they condemn. It's hypocritical at best.

not really. they made the game. they own the IP. it's still theirs.

if ROMS were in-depth conversions requiring some level of technical and artistic skill you may have a point. but from my understanding it's just a data dump from the tape w some wrappers/headers thrown on.

Doesn't matter regardless.. it's piracy.. on piracy... the sold code even if one line that wasn't theirs as their own. If anything I think they just made downloading roms impossible to manadate because with this alone they would never win a court case.

SystemUser

People keep mentioning that Japan in the 1980s weren't archiving. American devs weren't archiving either. There is a ton of old Atari era stuff that doesn't have original source code. Also when Midway was sold off for parts their "archive" was a joke. I don't know for sure but I assume that Activision 80s stuff is incomplete too.

It is not limited to games either the BBC used to reuse the master video tapes. There are BBC shows that had to get home VHS copies supplied from fans.

dahuman

Neo Member
It's still their IP with their original code in it, they can do whatever the fuck they want with it lol. I've personally never paid for VC though. :p

found a recipe for beef goulash soup or super mario world rom on the internet?

if you have the raw materials and means, you can manufacture your own copy

I once downloaded my own track from youtube that someone has posted there, since I didn't have it anymore..

What's the problem Nintendo doing this?

Like I said on the last page, it's not that they "lost" it, it's that they very likely never saw it as a priority to keep it. The attitude of most Japanese devs from the '80s through the mid aughts was that once the game is finished and pressed on distribution media, the digital assets are no longer needed. Archiving wasn't seen as a necessity. That's why Square-Enix had to rebuild Final Fantasy IX largely from scratch to make ports.
It's also prevalent with wore for hire. One of the Chocobo's Dungeon games the localisation was started and quickly canceled because the source code would not compile due to files missing. Chunsoft were like "well the project was done so we deleted everything, we have no use for it".

I once downloaded my own track from youtube that someone has posted there, since I didn't have it anymore..

What's the problem Nintendo doing this?
Do you go around condemning people for uploading your music to youtube.

Nintendo (and the industry at large) showing insolence toward emulation and game preservation efforts that they both later rely on is the issue.

iMerc

wow.
people once again making a mountain out of a molehill. lol

it's nintendo's i.p & code. they can do what they want.
on the surface it appears hypocritical given their piracy stance, but developers & publishers never really used to archive their games back in the day.

so then i have to ask: what do you want nintendo (and any other game company) to do instead in this case, all you 'righteous' internet msg board gamers?
not release the game AT ALL if they don't have their original developed code anymore??

Top Bottom