• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Konami: Don't blame us for pulling PES 2019 from PS Plus, it was Sony's call

CyberPanda

Banned
Konami has said the decision to pull PES 2019 from PlayStation Plus' July 2019 lineup of titles the day it was meant to go live was Sony's.
PES 2019 was set to go live as a free download for Plus subscribers on 2nd July, but the game was pulled last minute, with Detroit chucked in to replace it.
In a statement issued to Eurogamer today, Konami pointed the finger at Sony.

"This decision was made by SIE and so please make an inquiry to SIE," was the statement given to us by a rep.

As instructed, we went to Sony, who confirmed it had made the decision in a curious statement that stressed it made the call "as a company":
"We have decided to make a change to the PS Plus games lineup this month, and will be offering Detroit: Become Human Digital Deluxe Edition instead of Pro Evolution Soccer 2019. This was a decision we decided to make as a company, and we apologise for any inconvenience."

Neither of these statements explains why PES 2019 was pulled, but reading between the lines it's clear some legal snag emerged late in the day.
It's worth noting Sony has signed a marketing deal with EA Sports for PES-rival FIFA (you'll see the PS4 pop up at the end of FIFA 20 promotional videos).

Meanwhile, PES 2019 was pulled from Plus just two days after Konami's contract with Liverpool for an official licence was terminated, and a day before Konami announced it had signed a deal with Manchester United for the club to appear in PES 2020 and future games, with 3D body-scanning, legends such as David Beckham and Old Trafford all included.

Whatever the case, at least the PES 2019 PS Plus saga has given us two of the sillier video game company statements of recent memory.

demigod

Terrible decision by Sony, they should have handled this situation better. I've been watching the World Cup recently so I wanted to try this out.
And the game they replaced it with has a lower Metacritic rating :lollipop_sad_relieved:

Another Sony thread another post by Leonidas pretending he cares about Playstation. For someone that didn't care for PES, you sure did a 180 quicker than the Xbone.

This was a good move, not many in that thread even cared for a yearly released sports title.

Edit : Fixed spelling

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Im sure it will be offered next month. It’s a “damn if you do damn if you don’t” situations

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Surprising. Until finally Sony does something right.

I Mean i hate Football but at least put Detroit and Heavy Rain was a real deal...they should do with that horrible car game, also change it to another more worthy game

Aceofspades

Banned
Another Sony thread another post by Leonidas pretending he cares about Playstation. For someone that didn't care for PES, you should did a 180 quicker than the Xbone.

This was a good move, not many in that thread even cared for a yearly released sports title.

Exposed Lol.

CyRuZ

Banned
Uhm, so thx sony then?

Glad i was pissed that the EU had to pay double the price for Detroit during the last sale then the US store and i hold out. But i see how people who bought it aren't happy. Been on that side quite too often before.

xrnzaaas

I know I may sound like a conspiracy theorist, but what if it's to fuck with David Cage and tank the sales of PC Detroit? ;) Afaik it wasn't Sony's decision to drop Quantic Dream.

Flayer

Another Sony thread another post by Leonidas pretending he cares about Playstation. For someone that didn't care for PES, you sure did a 180 quicker than the Xbone.

Edit : Fixed spelling
Lol why are there so many MS astroturfers on Neogaf these days

TLZ

Banned
Terrible decision by Sony, they should have handled this situation better. I've been watching the World Cup recently so I wanted to try this out.
And the game they replaced it with has a lower Metacritic rating :lollipop_sad_relieved:
You joking mate? Coming from a longtime PES fan, PES is shit, and I'm glad it was replaced.

CJY

Banned
Already have Detroit from launch and would have loved PES19. The last PES I own is 17. So I'm very disappointed by this move. Cancelled my PS+ for now.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Already have Detroit from launch and would have loved PES19. The last PES I own is 17. So I'm very disappointed by this move. Cancelled my PS+ for now.
If it's truly not Konami's fault then chances are PES may come back next month. It's not like the service had only one chance to feature this game.

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
I already had Detroit, but was waiting for a sale on PES 2019, so I was happy when they announced the original PS+ line-up for July. They kinda fucked me with the change.

IMO, they should have added Detroit, while keeping PES 2019.

Games with Gold offers four games a month, two of which are yours to keep forever. Sony offering only two games a month feels kind of anemic in comparison.

Aintitcool

Banned
I think its sad sony gave players Detroit before Uncharted 4. You would think detroit being newer release and more unique would make sony give that one out by now. But the PS hits sales must be still be really good or something.

Geki-D

Banned
With PES apparently going free to play, it would be pretty worthless to give it away for free on Plus anyway.

Though I like the concern trolling here. Few days ago PES was a terrible choice, now it's gone it's a catastrophy it's not on Plus. Sony listened to feedback, people should be happy.

Fox Mulder

People will whine about the games regardless of what they are.

A soccer game would have at least been something different than a third David Cage game given with PS+.

Last edited:

Fake

Yikes. They're back. Not cool.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I had + for 5 years. Not once did they ever release something I was interested in or hadn't bought a year before. Just buy your games and if you don't play multiplayer don't get +.

Last edited by a moderator:

Airbus Jr

Banned

Its actually a very good decision

The 18/19 season is over

Why would people want to play old game?

PES/FIFA 20 is coming soon and everyone wanted the hot stuff

DavJay

Detroit gives better value. Sport titles are like $2 a year after release. IMO good call but I understand the frustration especially with an ongoing soccer event.

Harlock

Sony got afraid of constant backlash with psn+ games. It is the power of thumbdown. We are fucked when Youtube removes that feature.

drotahorror

Surprising. Until finally Sony does something right.

I Mean i hate Football but at least put Detroit and Heavy Rain was a real deal...they should do with that horrible car game, also change it to another more worthy game

To each their own but Horizon Chase gave me plenty hours of fun. Way more than Detroit or Heavy Rain could provide. Pretty killer month of PS+ though.

Nice to see the usual suspects doing their very best to make this into something bad or evil, try their best. Keep up the good fight lol 👍

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony gave in to forums who all complained about PES.

There would be less chance of full tilt opposition if PS+ offered more than 2 games.

At the start of PS4, Sony offered 4-6 games spread out across platforms. Now it's 2, since they cut the cord with PS3/Vita. When PS5 comes out, I wonder if Sony will stick with 2, orepxand to 4 like GwG whose 4 games, where 2 are 360 BC. Since PS5 is BC with PS4, there should no reason not to offer 4 like MS.

Last edited:

brap

Banned

A soccer game would have at least been something different than a third David Cage game given with PS+.
It would definitely be different. The first PS+ game that less than 1% of American users play.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

please don't call it soccer you savage and i will promise to stop calling american football pussy rugby

Last edited:
Top Bottom