• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm OK with this. Despite not being a portable gamer or having owned a portable gaming device since the GBA, I think Nintendo's portable software library is vastly superior to their home console offerings. Also, since I already own a PS4, Xbox One and PC, I wasn't going to buy a fourth box to play 3rd party games and a handful of Nintendo exclusives. I might consider this though. Nintendo, give me all the Dragon Quest ports/remasters and I'm in.

Mato

Sounds modular. Perhaps you can by parts separately. Mix and match as you see fit. Maybe you can chain two core units to form a powerful home console. Core units could also receive new incremental hardware updates. You keep the controller part and just buy a new core. Home and mobile becomes one but in a more flexible form factor.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't think of any circumstances in which Nintendo would choose that crappy line drawing to be the first public image of the NX.

Wasn't that from a tweet and not the article?

Nintendo has been insanely close to the vest when it comes to leaks. It's bizarre that all of a sudden this would hit with such detail.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
One time I was on the subway coming from work and I was playing Halo: Spartan Assault on a Microsoft Surface with a 360 controller attached.

Xbox-Surface-Controller-660x388.jpg

NOW: Is this the expectation of the NX, minus the cord and with a docking station or am I missing the boat?

Nintendo has been insanely close to the vest when it comes to leaks. It's bizarre that all of a sudden this would hit with such detail.

Well, that's how leaks usually go isn't it? There's always nothing until there's something; it's only the amount that changes.

This leaks not even that surprising, except maybe to those who were in total denial about it possibly being a hybrid. The tidbits we've gotten from reputable sources before, like WSJ, were all pointing to something like this

The same way you played games with the Wiimote.

Yeah but the Wii's giant A button was way more intuitive. Plus that greatly limits the type of coop games you can play. For example, can you see two people playing a basic 2D Mario with that configuration?

GamerJM

Banned
If this is a manufactured leak I wonder if that means that Nintendo's going to reveal the NX soon or not. I was hoping this leak meant that they will but if it's manufactured then, eh, could be a while and they're just giving thirsty GAFers something for now....

Anyways it sounds great IMO. I mean it saves me money since I won't have to buy two platforms (even if the "handheld and console play the same games," theory was true I'd buy both still). As long as it gets tons of Japanese support then idgaf how powerful it is as long as it's like, PS2-level at least.

Cuburt

This is WAY too big of a leak, especially if the rumors about this NDA being way more strict are true. It had to be planned.

Gives fans something to chew on until Nintendo gets the real presentation ready.
This is what I keep thinking. They've gone this long with no big leak and suddenly Eurogamer gets many sources willing to spill the beans to this degree?

Not a leak of real info but false leaks to flush out the rats in the ship. It sounds like complete fan dreamed up bullshit if it wasn't coming from Eurogamer.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah but the Wii's giant A button was way more intuitive. Plus that greatly limits the type of coop games you can play. For example, can you see two people playing a basic 2D Mario with that configuration?
What do you mean? Each player with have one analog stick and four buttons, plus whatever trigger / scroll wheel there is. Edit : It's limited, but no more than a Wiimote.

TYRiAX

As someone who plays the same amount of time on portable than at home (if not more) I'm happy with this direction

Pandy

As far as I can tell there's nothing new here beyond that form factor stuff, the rest is rumours/speculation that was already around. Tegra, a portable form, cartridges. That's all old.

Pittree

The only thing that concerns me is how I am going to play any game with either half of that.

Yup. I am also not feeling that part of deattachable controllers. It just doesn't makes sense to me.
They would be tiny, lack ergonomics for a household experience and look tacky. I am thinking that just may be a misconception on how the development kit was made (like the active cooling thing)
Also if the dock is just for connecting the console to a tv screen (like eurogamer states and many believe), I think going for a wireless solution (roku style) but with lot less lag (wii u style) would be a lot better since the console screen wouldn't go to waste while playing at home and you could really use the controller without deattaching.

psyfi

Banned
As far as I can tell there's nothing new here beyond that form factor stuff, the rest is rumours/speculation that was already around. Tegra, a portable form, cartridges. That's all old.
A lot of this stuff has been speculated for a while, but the fact that Eurogamer is reporting it with such confidence is definitely news worthy.

baconcow

Backwards compatibility for DS and 3DS games seems like it would come easy due to having the bottom screen (NX) and top screen (TV),

Well, guess you won't miss much if you get the new Zelda on the Wii U instead of the NX version.

Will be interesting to see how the NX will do in a market dominated by smartphones, might go the way of the Vita.

This looks pretty neat, but I'm worried about the battery life if it really is portable. Still though I love cartridges and I'll probably buy one of these if it really uses them. I just love being able to physically hold all my games in my hands, you know?

dity

lol, I remember people in proir NX threads being absolutely certain the console would not be a hybrid "because Miyamoto said so" and yet here we are.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This is WAY too big of a leak, especially if the rumors about this NDA being way more strict are true. It had to be planned.

Gives fans something to chew on until Nintendo gets the real presentation ready.

Definitely could be I suppose. If nothing else it lets the uproar among the hardcore online flare out before the public unveiling. And lets them gauge reception among serious gamers to tweak how they reveal it and market it.

jdstorm

Banned
I hope Nintendo makes the battery removeable. That would essentially fix every battery life concern people had if you could easily swap out a drained battery for a charged spare

nullref

Consolidating to one mobile-capable hardware platform, like Tegra, is about what I expected. Makes sense for them. I thought it might be nice to put those same internals into two separate devices, though – a hybrid only adds a bunch of cost and complexity if you're only interested in the console use case.

But, maybe that has some marketing advantages. Having only the fancy hybrid form factor will let them better justify a $300-400 cost and the unimpressive (for a console) power. Separate SKUs might have been a hard sell at much more than $200 each.

AniHawk

Well, guess you won't miss much if you get the new Zelda on the Wii U instead of the NX version.

Will be interesting to see how the NX will do in a market dominated by smartphones, might go the way of the Vita.

did you know that nintendo released a handheld that was on the market the same time as the vita and sold 5x the number of units? it's one of those neat little gaming facts that not a lot of people are aware of.

Cuburt

lol, I remember people in proir NX threads being absolutely certain the console would not be a hybrid "because Miyamoto said so" and yet here we are.
Yep, here were are talking about a rumor from Eurogamer as if it is a fact.

How far we've come.

Pandy

A lot of this stuff has been speculated for a while, but the fact that Eurogamer is reporting it with such confidence is definitely news worthy.

They've obviously had some details confirmed from a source with a dev kit, for example I'm quite happy to take this as confirmation of the Tegra rumours.

I just think they've gone a bit too far with it, or have made a mess of explaining it.

Pandy

To paraphrase an earlier post.
There's nothing about a hybrid here, at last in terms of home console/handheld hybrid. The device as described is just a weird portable with an HDMI connection.

th4tguy

Backwards compatibility for DS and 3DS games seems like it would come easy due to having the bottom screen (NX) and top screen (TV),

That would be horrible. I'd be fine if they just don't have bc with this. Maybe release VC titles but not DS and 3DS.

There's nothing about a hybrid here, at last in terms of home console/handheld hybrid. The device as described is just a weird portable with an HDMI connection.

...which some people were also shooting down on the premise that that too is a "hybrid"

If it intends to function as a home console then is, it is a hybrid.

AmyS

On the other hand, what if this ends up being 3DS uses Nvidia Tegra all over again?

Wall of text, I know, just use this as a reference.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/06/3ds_will_supposedly_not_use_nvidias_tegra_technology

3DS Will Supposedly Not Use NVIDIA's Tegra Technology

Wed 9th Jun 2010

Digital Foundry's sources 'corroborates' what was claimed by IGN's insiders

When rumblings of a new generation of handheld from Nintendo were first felt last year, there were reports of industry insiders leaking information on the 3DS hardware architecture. Claims of NVIDIA's Tegra chip being used in the 3DS are now being contradicted by Digital Foundry's sources, who claim that a Nintendo/NVIDIA collaboration is not happening, with the former opting to strike up a deal with a Japanese partner instead.

Another claim relates to the codename of the system itself. First there was the 'DS2', and for now the world refers to it as the 3DS, but Digital Foundry's sources "confirms" that the development codename is actually "Nintendo CTR", which would seem to corroborate last month's revelation of an FCC filing image of what's purportedly the motherboard test-kit.

If these sources from Digital Foundry and those of IGN are correct, then what would have been the debut partnership of the two companies is all but wishful thinking now. With Nintendo having a history of utilising AMD's ATi technology in the past, a deal with another company suggests that either its range of chips is not suitable for whatever reason, it's more of a matter of budget limitation. Or both, or something completely different.

If the 3DS really is meant to be on-par with HD home consoles in terms of graphical capabilities, then a change in graphics chip provider could well mean a change in direction. After all, you'd expect them to utilise the same brand of graphics chip as the Wii, would you not?

As tempting as it is to cram as much processing power, and all the rest of it into a compact system, the main obstacle that any handheld will have to overcome is battery life. Fortunately, Nintendo is no stranger to the world of portable gaming and its past generation of systems have all been more than generous when it comes to how long each round of batteries, or charge will last you.

Of course, all these claims are unsubstantiated at this moment in time and the earliest we'll hear of any official word is next week: it's some kind of exposition, or something. You might have heard about it...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nvidia-unconnected-with-3ds-blog-entry

NVIDIA unconnected with 3DS
No Tegra chipset in new Nintendo handheld.

Richard Leadbetter 05/06/2010

Mobile industry insiders, speaking with Digital Foundry, have said that the much-rumoured tie-up between Nintendo and NVIDIA for the console-maker's auto-stereoscopic 3D handheld is not happening.

According to our two independent, unconnected sources, the Nintendo 3DS - almost certain to be revealed at E3 - features a design totally divorced from the NVIDIA Tegra SoC (system on chip) initially thought to have been powering the DS successor. It's now thought that Nintendo has instead chosen a Japanese partner for the 3D acceleration hardware within the 3DS.

Sources also confirmed that the 3DS' development codename is "Nintendo CTR", meaning that this motherboard picture we ran a couple of weeks back, sourced from the FCC website, is indeed something akin to a development or test station for the new handheld.

This strongly suggests that 3DS does feature a widescreen "glasses free" stereoscopic 3D display, along with a more conventional 4:3 2D display beneath it. Interestingly, it appears that the images of the board published on the FCC website were uploaded in error: they were supposed to have been made public 10 months after the submission in April this year, presumably after the 3DS itself ships.

Meanwhile, IGN corroborates the story that NVIDIA is out of the picture, quoting "off-the-record" developer sources as saying that the 3DS is up there in the power stakes with PS3 and Xbox 360. It's a statement that needs to be taken with barrel-loads of salt bearing in mind the enormous power draw such a chipset would require. If nothing else, Nintendo has a strong track record in excellent battery life with every one of its previous handhelds.

Indeed, even the four-core PowerVP chip said to be at the heart of the PSP2 offers a performance level some way between the original Xbox and the 360. A more modest GPU is therefore a much more realistic proposition, especially bearing in mind that even the iPhone 3GS with its PowerVR SGX535 architecture doesn't exactly command outstanding battery life in 3D gaming.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/01/26/everything-we-know-about-the-3ds

The 3DS device is not using the Nvidia Tegra mobile chipset, a rumor that's been floating around since 2009.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/01/06/nintendo-working-on-high-spec-ds-successor

6 JAN 2010
NINTENDO WORKING ON HIGH SPEC DS SUCCESSOR

Rumours surrounding a new Nintendo handheld have been gathering steam in recent months, with one of the most compelling reports suggesting that a next-gen DS would be powered by NVIDIA's Tegra Tech, a rumour that's been given added weight thanks to Iwata's recent comments.

https://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-to-power-next-gen-nintendo-ds/

NVIDIA Tegra to power next-gen Nintendo DS?

there are wild rumorings from the underground that claim Nintendo is planning on using Tegra to power a next generation DS handheld. The primary source on this comes from Bright Side of News (which doesn't have a big track record to judge by), who claims the debut is planned for late 2010 and conjectures that the device could either use the upcoming 40nm 2nd-gen Tegra tech, or the existing, tried-and-true 65nm chip. There were rumors from Yahoo! Games of a Tegra DS afoot at GamesCom in August, with higher resolution screens and full backwards compatibility, and PC Perspective also claims its own NVIDIA insiders are confirming this -- the evidence is certainly stacking up. If it turns out to be true it's going to mean a pretty dramatic jump forward in portable gaming power, but either way this generation of handhelds seems due for a refresh, and there's plenty of ultra compact silicon floating about to make a graphical leap possible.

PC Perspective
NVIDIA Tegra rumored to be included in new Nintendo handheld
Tue, Oct 13, 2009

Ryan Shrout | Source: PC Perspective | Subject: Mobile

I have had a slight tip off on this for a while but didn't think the information was strong enough to report on yet, but enough people are verifying the rumors that I thought it was worth a post. My first indication of this news was an insider pointing me to this article on Yahoo! Games website that claims executives were showing off an NVIDIA Tegra-powered Nintendo handheld at Gamescon:

Okay, according to various “sources” Nintendo has been showing off its next generation of handheld hardware to a select group of gamesbiz bigwigs at the recent GamesCom show. Hmmm, really?

Well, maybe. But let’s run with the rumours for a while...

By all accounts the new unit is built around Nvidia’s Tegra chipset, hence the new moniker – the Nintendo “TS” (Tegra System). The Tegra is appropriately described as a computer-on-a-chip in that it integrates many functions into one slender slice of silicon. It is specifically designed for mobile devices and is scheduled to power Microsoft’s Zune HD handheld later this year. In other words, it’d be the ideal foundation for a new generation of handheld consoles, assuming that Nintendo was ever in the market for such a thing. But moving on.

Obviously Tegra has a huge performance advantage over the existing ARM processors inside the current Nintendo DS:

Practically-speaking, the TS would be on a par with the Wii in terms of its processing power and graphical grunt. The new unit is set to retain many features of its immediate predecessor too – notably a DSi-style built-in camera and a higher-resolution touch-screen interface. Full backwards-compatibility is also on the cards, we’re assured.

I still think that the current Sony PSP would get the nod if these two systems were in any way benchmarked against each other - not that that is likely to be possible anytime soon. But the Tegra architecture, especially an upcoming design due later this year, would definitely offer Nintendo a big boost in 3D gaming power.

Now, according to this story over at Bright Side of News, NVIDIA has won a contract from Nintendo for that next-generation handheld:

As the time passed by, Nintendo started to work on the successor of its handheld console with a debut planned for late 2010 [Tokyo Game Show?]. According to our confidential sources, Nintendo is going to use Tegra System-on-Chip processor for the successor of DS/DSi handheld console. Unlike the current design, nVidia offered a single-chip proposal to Nintendo, a company famous for keeping the hardware platform absolutely simple.

Given the fact that Nintendo DS hardware is based upon 16-bit and 32-bit ARM cores, it looks like Next-Gen DS could be backwards compatible with the DS application library. According to our sources, all of the apps that came for old DS could run on a single ARM11 core, yet alone the next-gen CorTex-A9-based Tegra, leaving graphics subsystem to do "something smarter".

If NVIDIA hopes to survive in the world of post-Fusion products (combined CPU/GPU offerings) then they will definitely need products like Tegra to win designs like this. Nintendo has sold over 100 million Nintendo DS systems and if NVIDIA does indeed power the next revision of it with a Tegra-based processor, that is a huge boost to the company's bottom line and could put the Tegra brand on its way to "capturing 50% of nVidia's revenue within the next couple of years."

Besides these two reports of NVIDIA powering the upcoming Nintendo system, I am hearing from my own internal sources at NVIDIA that this is indeed the case. Obviously no one wants to go on record about this deal until both NVIDIA and Nintendo are ready to talk about next-generation systems, but anyone in the industry realizes that NVIDIA is in desperate need for some good news - even if it has to come in the form of leaked information.

Bright Side Of News

nVidia Tegra wins contract for next-gen Nintendo DS

10/13/2009

When Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and CEO of nVidia announced that he expects to see Tegra capturing 50% of nVidia's revenue within the next couple of years, a lot of people thought that this is a smoke screen to sway the attention from its battles against AMD and Intel.

Incredibly how it may sound, from what we are hearing nVidia is dead on achieving its course. With a very aggressive approach, the company managed to sway not just Microsoft with the Zune HD multimedia player [based on Tegra APX 2600] or Samsung's BeatPlayer M1 [also known as YP-M1], but also a long-time IBM and ATI customer - Nintendo.

Launched in 2004, the Nintendo DS and its two latter redesigns [DS Lite and DSi] sold in massive 111.49 million units. With almost 40 million handheld consoles sold in United States alone, Nintendo DS owns 68.3% of worldwide market share.

As the time passed by, Nintendo started to work on the successor of its handheld console with a debut planned for late 2010 [Tokyo Game Show 2010?]. According to our confidential sources, Nintendo is going to use Tegra System-on-Chip processor for the successor of DS/DSi handheld console. Unlike the current design, nVidia offered a single-chip proposal to Nintendo, a company famous for keeping the hardware platform absolutely simple.

Given the fact that current Nintendo DS hardware is based upon two ARM cores [ARM7 and ARM9 series], it looks like Next-Gen DS could be backwards compatible with the DS application library, courtesy of ARM11 core inside current Tegra SoC products. According to our sources, "all of the apps that came for old DS can run on a single ARM11 core - yet alone the CorTex A9-based next-gen Tegra, leaving graphics subsystem to do "something smarter". In any case, the hardware is now much more potent and should easily enable developers to push the envelope even further.

Currently, we have no information what exact chip is being used [just that nVidia won the contract], but with the debut set for February 2010, the second generation of Tegra chips could make an excellent base [to be launched at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona].
The question of power consumption and performance is quite an interesting one. Gen2 Tegra offers quite a graphics punch;GeForce 9 based hardware [CUDA-enabled design] should offer immense experience on small screens - we see no reason why you could not have 4x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anisotropic filtering on a dual-screen system. If Nintendo picked the current gen hardware, i.e. Tegra 600 or APX 2600 - it will be getting 65nm chips. If they go with 2nd gen parts, they will get 40nm chips offering even higher performance and lower power consumption. The moment we learn about the exact hardware going into Nintendo's next-gen console, we'll inform you.

Thus, it is not hard for us to imagine that Tegra could outship GeForce boards just like Intel's Atom CPU shipped in more units than expensive Nehalem processors. Naturally, the profit ratio is significantly different, but something in the range of $4-5 per chip would mean nVidia could earn half a billion USD from a single deal [over the course of life for the Nintendo's next-gen part].

Now, the billion dollar question is: if Nintendo chose nVidia for the handheld console, does that mean nVidia may have an entrance into the lucrative Wii business? Bear in mind that Wii console was sold in 53.97 million units, taking almost half of current console market [48.4%, according to ********.com]. Also, we wonder what is going to be in next-generation PlayStation Portable...

Papacheeks

Banned

It hookes to a tv with controllers that detach from the base unit. It plays both handheld developed games and home console developerd games in either mode.

It's a hybrid.

TLZ

Banned

Why are there fans and active cooling on a Tegra X1?

I don't know man. Nintendo imposed extremely strict ndas on everyone all this time. How come eurogamer are freely talking about it now mentioning sources who should be under very strict ndas? And how are they allowed to somehow ruin nintendos reveal when it's only less than 2 months away, maybe a month even? Maybe they're allowed to run with this because it's untrue and doesn't ruin nintendos surprise?

Still doesn't make much sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom