• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalman

If they don't send out invites for an event this week then I don't think it'll happen before TGS. But who knows, maybe they'll just reveal it in a video.

ggx2ac

Exactly. Until we know if the dock does actually anything, it's useless to speculate whether or nor devs are working with two sets of assets.

It's not entirely useless, I'm trying to take into account what is plausible to have a game in a 32GB cartridge work in both the portable mode and home console mode of the NX.

We have not heard of any insiders mention that devs have used two different performance modes or having to make two different sets of assets.

I need to know ways assets can be managed that there doesn't need to be 2 sets. For example, there was that thread with a 3DS emulator that showed how good the models looked in Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS when rendering at 1080p.

So again, either what is being developed now is for the docked mode if there is such a thing and the NX handles the GPU down clock with its OS supposedly in portable mode. Or, there is only one mode that is constant in both portable/home and the SCD is needed to internally render at a higher res.

That's why I don't even understand the point of the SCD being there considering the little info Rosti gave us last week. The SCD is needed for its other features but it isn't really needed for better visuals if the NX can change rendering on its own.

Keep in mind if there was an SCD, I don't expect it to be used to give 4K resolution, I don't expect Nintendo to look for that kind of power and the SCD wouldn't be affordable which is what I expect it to be because of its features, not just its power.

I can tell you now that Nx is supposed to attract an audience that does not want to pay that much.
This could be initial purchase and then maybe add to the device, or give to options of what to purchase.

MDave

It makes sense for there to be only 1 set of assets, how do you suppose PC and mobile games work? Thousands of different configurations there.

It would be a waste of cart storage and money, and even more money to develop another set of assets.

It makes sense for there to be only 1 set of assets, how do you suppose PC and mobile games work? Thousands of different configurations there.

It would be a waste of cart storage and money, and even more money to develop another set of assets.
I've worked on mobile titles with multiple sets of assets for different screen resolutions. It's quite easy, takes almost no work for artists to do so, and if needed you can even store the various assets "on the cloud", only downloading what is needed.

If I do or not, I am going to say IMO for now.

Thanks for the tips mate!

I fully expect that some of the rumours of rewarding WII u owners with certain initiatives to be true as well. Combining My Nintendo rewards etc and some major loyalty rewards as I think that Nintendo would like as many Wii u owners to adapt to the new Nx platform as fast as possible.

This may give extra confidence in Nintendo die hards who have been burnt buying a Wii u with such short lifespan to the machine.

doop_

Banned
If I do or not, I am going to say IMO for now.

Thanks for the tips mate!

I fully expect that some of the rumours of rewarding WII u owners with certain initiatives to be true as well. Combining My Nintendo rewards etc and some major loyalty rewards as I think that Nintendo would like as many Wii u owners to adapt to the new Nx platform as fast as possible.

This may give extra confidence in Nintendo die hards who have been burnt buying a Wii u with such short lifespan to the machine.
The way you word your posts annoys the heck out of me for some reason. Lol

MDave

I've worked on mobile titles with multiple sets of assets for different screen resolutions. It's quite easy, takes almost no work for artists to do so, and if needed you can even store the various assets "on the cloud", only downloading what is needed.

Well, I meant 2 sets of assets kind of like the character models of Smash 3DS and the Wii U version :p

EVH

That sounds fitting with that rumor that first they wanted to go completely digital only but at the end chose the cartidge way too.

J@hranimo

Banned
Bit random, but I stumbled upon some android device called the Morphus X300 that's the closest realized idea of the NX I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmBysrZ2v8

dbd57bcbb3fff7245025a39061012200.png

ggx2ac

As mentioned before, if there was any reason to use the SCD for its power ignoring other features. There'd be no point in using it with the NX at launch if the NX can render at 1080p in docked mode. Unless docked mode is the equivalent of seeing a 3DS game at 1080p compared to a Wii U game at 1080p if you get what I mean with regards to effects and textures etc.

That's why I thought up the scenario of there being only one resolution for the NX and the SCD helps to render at 1080p.
Also, the only other way I can see the SCD being used is say, if in 3 years time, Nintendo releases the next iteration of the NX, the NX2, most likely you can use the SCD with your current NX to try to get some kind of parity with the games run on an NX2 if you don't want to buy an NX2 yet.

Yes, I've taken speculation to the next level to speculate on the NX successor already. lol

ggx2ac

Is it though? If the euro gamer leak was real, you can bet Nintendo has contacted every pay they can to remind them of what their ninjas can do.

That is concerning for some parts.

What happened again once the Wii U leaked?

I can only remember that when the finalised Gamepad got leaked that someone pretty much got fired.

Is it though? If the euro gamer leak was real, you can bet Nintendo has contacted every pay they can to remind them of what their ninjas can do.

I think its weird, I mean not even a single big site jumped on the bandwagon and revealed something...some commented on the eurogamer leak, yet nothing more substantial got out...Nintendo is really the master of secrecy

That is concerning for some parts.

What happened again once the Wii U leaked?

I can only remember that when the finalised Gamepad got leaked that someone pretty much got fired.

There was a long period of silence between initial reveals of the game pad and when we saw the final form.

The play tester who got fired did so for showing the dev unit he played on, which still had the circle pads.

ggx2ac

There was a long period of silence between initial reveals of the game pad and when we saw the final form.

The play tester who got fired did so for showing the dev unit he played on, which still had the circle pads.

Yeah, there was that. But what about when project Cafe got leaked? I can't remember back to 2011, especially when I wasn't here.

BreakAtmo

As mentioned before, if there was any reason to use the SCD for its power ignoring other features. There'd be no point in using it with the NX at launch if the NX can render at 1080p in docked mode. Unless docked mode is the equivalent of seeing a 3DS game at 1080p compared to a Wii U game at 1080p if you get what I mean with regards to effects and textures etc.

That's why I thought up the scenario of there being only one resolution for the NX and the SCD helps to render at 1080p.
Also, the only other way I can see the SCD being used is say, if in 3 years time, Nintendo releases the next iteration of the NX, the NX2, most likely you can use the SCD with your current NX to try to get some kind of parity with the games run on an NX2 if you don't want to buy an NX2 yet.

Yes, I've taken speculation to the next level to speculate on the NX successor already. lol

I misunderstood this as I was reading it. Thought for a second you were talking about using the NX dock with the NX2... which would actually be pretty cool. Imagine if the dock had a cooling system, and it was set up so you played the games in 720p on the handheld and 1080p on the dock by using the cooling system for extra power, and when the NX2 came around, you could use it with the old dock to save money.

Yeah, there was that. But what about when project Cafe got leaked? I can't remember back to 2011, especially when I wasn't here.

As a WUST survivor, I can't remember a big "confirmed" leak besides the name and rumbles of it being a tri core processor. The game pad reveal caught people off guard if I remember correctly... Between then and the reveal of final hardware, it was a flurry of fake rumors from hundreds of places, and mostly worthless nods from ideaman (though he either revealed or confirmed the 2gb of ram)

Peterc

The wiiu was reveald at e3 and released in Nov.
Thats about 5month

This means 5 months before the launch.

It could be different for the NX, but it could be the same, They could wait untill Nov. to reveal it. Maybe in sept. we would get the announcement.

Credibility is slinking for EG. But there is still time

ggx2ac

As a WUST survivor, I can't remember a big "confirmed" leak besides the name and rumbles of it being a tri core processor. The game pad reveal caught people off guard if I remember correctly... Between then and the reveal of final hardware, it was a flurry of fake rumors from hundreds of places, and mostly worthless nods from ideaman (though he either revealed or confirmed the 2gb of ram)

One thing I just remembered. Has the NX speculation threads been tame these last couple of years compared to WUSTs in regards to how many people have been banned?

Genio88

Rumors so far turned to be true, i guess September is when they'll reveal it, just like Sony and Apple, seems like companies love this month to reveal stuff

The wiiu was reveald at e3 and released in Nov.
Thats about 5month

This means 5 months before the launch.

It could be different for the NX, but it could be the same, They could wait untill Nov. to reveal it. Maybe in sept. we would get the announcement.

Credibility is slinking for EG. But there is still time

The Wii U was revealed at E3 2011 and launched in November 2012. That was 17 months. I'm sorry I don't see how it makes business sense to reveal a new system in the middle of the holidays.

Either you do it September or January. January seems bad because people will probably say "I just spent so much money on Christmas".

Genio88

Bit random, but I stumbled upon some android device called the Morphus X300 that's the closest realized idea of the NX I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmBysrZ2v8

I hope not, I want NX to have at most a 5.5 inch screen, anything bigger than that would make it too uncomfortable for a handheld device, also if you want a big screen you'll be able to plug it on the TV when home, at least from the rumors we heard.

antonz

I hope not, I want NX to have at most a 5.5 inch screen, anything bigger than that would make it too uncomfortable for a handheld device, also if you want a big screen you'll be able to plug it on the TV when home, at least from the rumors we heard.

The Wii U Gamepad was almost a handheld. 6" is likely and it could very well be gamepad sized.

Genio88

The Wii U Gamepad was almost a handheld. 6" is likely and it could very well be gamepad sized.

WiiU gamepad it's too big to me to carry around, if they really have to release a WiiU gamepad sized version I hope at least they'll do like with the 3DS, a smaller standard NX with 5 inch display, not bigger than a PS Vita overall, and then a XL version for those who don't care about portability

ggx2ac

So, it's roughly a little less than 12 hours until Nvidia talks about Tegra at Hot Chips.

Since it's supposed to be at 3pm iirc.

G.ZZZ

It's surprisngly low profile. Only 2SM cores and 4A57 + 2 Denver, no A72, no 3 or 4 SM. But increased bandwith (i can't read german so i'm not sure on this). Denver is such a bad CPU but i guess Nvidia want to push it.

Need to wait for the presentation for the GFlop numbers and Wattage. I'm expecting about 1GF in 32fp and still around 10 W total. Half that is probably the best of what the NX could be (so like a X1 but in 4-5 W).

ggx2ac

It's surprisngly low profile. Only 2SM cores and 4A57 + 2 Denver, no A72, no 3 or 4 SM. But increased bandwith (i can't read german so i'm not sure on this). Denver is such a bad CPU but i guess Nvidia want to push it.

Need to wait for the presentation for the GFlop numbers and Wattage. I'm expecting about 1GF in 32fp and still around 10 W total. Half that is probably the best of what the NX could be (so like a X1 but in 4-5 W).

You mean 1TF? But we already saw info that Tegra X1 is 10 Watts at 1TF for FP32. The die shrink is supposed to reduce the wattage by 60% for the new one.

Edit: My mistake, I mean 1TF for FP16 for Tegra X1.

antonz

Pascal does 64 Cuda cores per SM instead of the 128 of Maxwell.

ggx2ac

Pascal does 64 Cuda cores per SM instead of the 128 of Maxwell.

Yes, I was thinking this design was 4 SM.

Hm, so these Chips are, at least in this form, not suited for a console or handheld. Let's continue our guessing game then...my guess is either all the rumors were bullshit or Nintendo has asked Nvidia to build a custom made ship for them. What is likely I guess.

Nvidia wanted a car but, Nintendo decided to build a ship!

antonz

The chip itself isn't bad but Nintendo was never going to use a stock Parker if they use parker at all. Parker certainly brings with it some very nice upgrades that are things Nintendo do appreciate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom