• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhe

We've already done that one, so next up is

hqdefault.jpg

hope.jpg

antonz

Or it comes from a particularly indispensable western 3rd party. I can only think of one that has pledged support thus far.

Sadly, many internet detectives are grown ass men who should know better. But I'm not into bashing people. I'm done on the topic.

The interesting thing about the leaks has been the lack of a Nintendo response. When 01net spilled the beans on Project Café it took Nintendo a week to respond but they did respond.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Right, which is why I am thinking that PSP-like device could well be production parts for the NX, and a PSP/Vita like design actually could work for the sizes we'd need to be ~tablet-esque~ without requiring it to be a tablet or have a 7" screen.

Controlled leak, and with dated/old info to set expectations lower for the reveal. :p

I'm sticking to my 6" minimum either way. The detachable controllers don't make sense otherwise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I doubt it's tomorrow for news.

That being said they gotta announce plans sooner rather than later if they are doing a live event.

My mind says invites need roughly a 3 week lead time. So you can look at the calendar and do the math.

The interesting thing about the leaks has been the lack of a Nintendo response. When 01net spilled the beans on Project Café it took Nintendo a week to respond but they did respond.

Nintendo's SOP is basically not to respond to any rumors or leaks anymore. They follow the five Ds...

Dodge
Duck
Dip
Dive
Dodge

ggx2ac

I'm back to square one again. Having to think about PSP-like NXs or Tablet-sized NXs. The damn thing can't look bulky including the detachable controllers because of how negatively perceived the Wii U Gamepad was in Japan...

Personally, this whole detachable controllers rumor sounds ugly. I've seen all the mockups and nothing has looked very eye appealing. I hope Nintendo can nail the looks and ergonomics of it.

jmizzal

Never I think. But this could be a special case considering a new console. I feel like they'll want to hype people up at least a week instead of springing it on everyone 3 days before

They announced the last Smash Direct before launch like a month before it happened, they will def announce this earlier then a few days

Detachable controllers don't even seem to make sense in the rumor of origin.

Yeah, deep down I kind of hope that this is maybe one part of the rumor that was maybe a mistake. Maybe the controller parts detach and connect with a base piece to form one wireless controller, and other controllers are just sold separately? I just have a REALLY HARD TIME picturing it as explained.

But, you know, we won't likely be waiting long. I stick to my theory that we'll see a reveal before the annual conference later in September.

Übermatik;214647039 said:
Don't
Don't
Don't
Don't
Don't

More accurate for sure

Controlled leak, and with dated/old info to set expectations lower for the reveal. :p
If you're trying to get my hopes up, I'll have you know that I'm quite excited for NX, even as described. Even if the "dock" is the equivalent of the Gamepad charging stand.

Alright, I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is that prosecuting someone for reporting leaked information is pretty shaky legal ground. Leaking the actual information, sure, because you broke an NDA. The sources are in danger because they are breaking NDAs, but those who report the information did no such thing, and are thus on safer ground. Otherwise, how the hell would any game information ever get leaked? Kotaku would have been sued into the ground YEARS ago.

So, it's POSSIBLE that Nintendo contacted the author of that article. But if the author of that article was legally safe, and chose not to give up his source, there may not be much that Nintendo could do.

Also, you assume that Eurogamer's source was never found. Would anyone have known that SMD's source was found out if I didn't say anything? Dave sure wasn't going to offer up that he sold someone out.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I'm just wondering that if dev kits are in the hands of major western 3rd parties, why have we not gotten more? But leaks have always been few and far between when it comes to Nintendo hardware, so whatever it is they are doing, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We got next to nothing on Wii U from June 2011-June 2012 except for three joy-inspiring words: "The sticks click."

What a happy day that was.

antonz

Wii U was a massive leak from one studio that has been pretty much overhauled completely since those days.

01net's leak was so massive though it basically laid everything out from the controller to power of the device. The only thing they didn't know was how big the screen was in the gamepad. We may very well only have a small idea of what NX is and Nintendo feels no need to say anything

ckfy63a

So, NCL usually makes announcements on Tuesday. What time, specifically for the Wii U September event? It's around 10:30 am there as of present.

Oh, also, it would help to know what phase the moon was in when the Wii U September Conference was announced.
/s

Manoko

Can we stop over-analyzing every post by NateDrake already ?

It seems pretty obvious to me that he's either in the dark just like everyone else, or not willing to share the information he has.

NateDrake

What happened?

Speculation, random discussions, and some good tech talk based on the Nvidia stuff. It beat the Wii branding conversation from earlier.

Can we stop over-analyzing every post by NateDrake already ?

It seems pretty obvious to me that he's either in the dark just like everyone else, or not willing to share the information he has.
As I've said before, if I share something it'll be obvious. I'm not going to post cryptic teases or anything.

Noi_

Banned
Speculation, random discussions, and some good tech talk based on the Nvidia stuff. It beat the Wii branding conversation from earlier.

As I've said before, if I share something it'll be obvious. I'm not going to post cryptic teases or anything.

Guys...
hNZagKE.png

I am not employed in the video game industry and I was previously banned after posting a bunch of questionable NX rumors I collected by talking to people on Twitter.

:lol

jdstorm

Banned
Just thought of another use for VMs

What if it's used for advanced AI. Which means in playing a party based RPG you could have up to 7 intelligent companions at a time.

Although it would be a waste of resources on a game that's pushing the limits of graphics technology. Running in half flop mode (16 vs 32) on a simple game (even something like Xenoblade X) could be huge for RPGs where playing as a party is important

jdstorm

Banned
Lots of company's have been making similar devices. But there are some issues.

Size, weight, game compadability. Gamers largely ignoring mobile as a legitimate platform.

Some thoughts on VMs and their relevance (or lack thereof) to a Nintendo console. I'm getting a PhD in distributed systems/operating systems, which doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about at all, but I'd like to think it makes my uninformed BS have a slightly higher chance of being accurate:

Has anyone yet talked about how Tegra-Parker's Virtualisation tech is similar to Nintendo's Suplimental computing Patent.

"The chip can power up to 8 virtualised machines with each having their own display pipeline"
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/

Not sure what it means, but in theory could it mean that up to 8 handhelds/Consoles could share an interconnected environment and share resources.
(Sort of like what Nintendo did with Pokken Tournament, where local multiplayer requires 2 WiiU's Ducttaped togeather)

I think you've got it the wrong way. This tech means one machine can fake being 8 different machines rendering graphics independently. I don't think it would help multiple physical devices share resources in any way.

A virtual machine is basically when hardware is emulated in a sandbox within another OS. Supporting up to 8 is alot and I'm not sure what that would be useful for outside of a dev environment. This might have more to do with the automotive side.

Yep, you're spot on that this tech doesn't seem too useful in a console/handheld. One video-game related use that I could see for it, though, is being used in the server farms powering cloud gaming/game streaming. Those games are probably already running on VMs, so I can see the appeal in having a chip with low power consumption/heat output that works well with rendering graphics in virtualized environments.

This is purely speculation..edit: based on zero knowledge of how VMs actually work. Monster Hunter and any arena based local multiplayer game.

If Nintendo could link say 4 handhelds wirelessly. The combined power of those 4 devices could render the assets in the arena at higher resolutions/frame rates then each individual device could, and then output individual screens to each handheld.

Shared VR environments based on proximity could also be possible.

Edit. The Virtual Machine concept also fits with the idea of the NX as an IOS like iterative console. If the NXs "console" environment is tied to software as opposed to hardware then it's much easier to release next years iterative model that will allow games to run on both. Because essentially both devices despite the difference in power are running the same NX virtual console

Again, virtualization doesn't help multiple physical devices combine their resources. Precisely the opposite--it helps one physical device fake being multiple computers simultaneously. The idea of running software in a virtual environment, and using that virtualization to make it easier to develop software across iterative releases, is interesting, though. My gut instinct is that it would be easier to just have software development use a set of common libraries that are recompiled to any new architecture, since getting good performance out of virtualization takes a lot of tweaking anyways, but I don't know enough to have a firm idea of what the advantages and disadvantages of each approach are.

Just thought of another use for VMs

What if it's used for advanced AI. Which means in playing a party based RPG you could have up to 7 intelligent companions at a time.

Although it would be a waste of resources on a game that's pushing the limits of graphics technology. Running in half flop mode (16 vs 32) on a simple game (even something like Xenoblade X) could be huge for RPGs where playing as a party is important

Virtualization would do nothing to improve performance for running something like AI, and it would probably actually hurt performance significantly (there's the raw performance penalty of virtualization, and now your 7 AI processes on your 7 different VMs have to pass messages back and forth to communicate with the main game VM).

Reminder, no one should be expecting an official announcement of the reveal date tomorrow. At best we will see reports of press invites going out, and at worst the NX will travel back in time to kill John Conner thus dooming humanity.

Edit: sorry no inside info, just using logic.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Reminder, no one should be expecting an official announcement of the reveal date tomorrow. At best we will see reports of press invites going out, and at worst the NX will travel back in time to kill John Conner thus dooming humanity.

Why do you say this?

EDIT: To be clear, I personally don't expect anything. But I also don't expect nothing. Basically. I figure it'll be a surprise whenever it does happen. So I'm just curious why you say it won't happen tomorrow. Because press invites will go out before an official event announcement?

ckfy63a

Grasping at the little bits of official info we have here, I remember that Reggie was on some gaming show showing off BOTW, and he mentioned the NX, and how there'd be an event at [insert time here] where they would tell us the "real name" of NX, etc. I'm not sure exactly what he said though...does anyone remember this footage / have a link to it?

Why do you say this?

Since they have no reason to publicly announce the event this far ahead of time. Hell, Sony still hasn't officially announced their event, they let the press do it for them.

I don't mean to say that it's impossible that we get an official announcement, just pretty unlikely.

Are people assuming tomorrow because Hot Chip is over? Or some other reason?

I think we're all just at the bargaining stage and hoping that every single tomorrow will bring news.

But it's also because tomorrow/today/August 23 is 3 weeks before the likeliest pre TGS date, and apparently Nintendo send out press invites about 3 weeks ahead of time...

But yeah I'm not expecting anything, just hoping.

MoonFrog

Edit: sorry no inside info, just using logic.

Well, perhaps Nintendo is tired of being doomed and wants to turn the tables on us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom