• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Xbox 720 = 2013 Release, Devs Have Target Specs For Both PS4/720

Vinci

Danish
Krev said:
Hardly. Just because Sony and Microsoft's next won't be putting out Samaritan graphics doesn't mean that they won't smoke the Wii U.

You know this was a joyous, somewhat vapid and fun conversation. Don't fuck it up with unnecessary tough talk. '[Doesn't] mean they won't smoke the Wii U'? I mean, really? Were you nervous you wouldn't get to say it?

I mean, I can play that game too: 'MS is moving up plans. RROD comin' back 'round, ya'll!' But it just seems so utterly unnecessary.

szaromir said:
It's too big and the screen is useless for COD-style games.

Glad to get your first-hand experience on what next-gen COD-style games will play like with the system. I would probably have ignored them anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
Anti Wii-U GAF crushed.
Heavy said:
Rein contradicts himself regarding Samaritan:

So it's still possible.
I don't see any contradiction actually.

He says you can't release a console like that right now, but you could in a few years.

Was anyone expecting the next generation consoles this year?

knitoe

I would be surprise if Microsoft didn't just keep the same control setup, with update versions of Kinect 2 and classic controller. That way, they can still focus on HC and casual users separately. Personally, I think Nintendo way of trying to mix and mash them together, in touchscreen controller, is going to fail. As a HC gamer, the touchscreen seems gimmicky. I can't see myself looking down at it while playing competitive FPS. As for causal gamers, going back to sticks and buttons are going to scare them off.

AceBandage said:
Anti Wii-U GAF crushed.
The 360 2 and PS4 are a few years away though, literally. Dat context.

The article seems to explicitly point out that the consoles of 2013/2014 will be on par with high-end pcs of today.

Nirolak said:
I actually don't see any contradiction actually.

He says you can't release a console like that right now, but you could in a few years.

Yeah you're right, if "a few years" means approximately 2013/2014, it lines up fine.

Neifirst

I wonder what price point Sony will be targeting for their console? They were very outspoken that they were going to get to $249 for Vita. I guess it depends on where WiiU comes in, but is $399 considered reasonable, or will they try for $299 like PS and PS2?

Gravijah

Nirolak said:
I actually don't see any contradiction actually.

That's how I read that quote too, though it was kind of strange to say.

Vinci

Danish
Neifirst said:
I wonder what price point Sony will be targeting for their console? They were very outspoken that they were going to get to $249 for Vita. I guess it depends on where WiiU comes in, but is $399 considered reasonable, or will they try for $299 like PS and PS2?

Higher.

Dr Eggman said:
PS2 had good games.

Damn right. And the Wii U? What games it got? Like... *looks around*... I don't see shit. Hahaha! ^5, bra!

Nirolak said:
I don't see any contradiction actually.

technically he didn't even say you couldn't right now, just that it would be too expensive

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
You know this was a joyous, somewhat vapid and fun conversation. Don't fuck it up with unnecessary tough talk. '[Doesn't] mean they won't smoke the Wii U'? I mean, really? Were you nervous you wouldn't get to say it?

I mean, I can play that game too: 'MS is moving up plans. RROD comin' back 'round, ya'll!' But it just seems so utterly unnecessary.
Eh.
Wasn't meant as tough talk, don't read too much into it.
Just saying, the next MS and Sony consoles could be hugely more powerful than Wii U. They could also be on-par...we don't know yet. It's way too early for AceBandage to say 'anti-Wii U crushed'.
There was plenty of RROD talk on page one, by the way.

Vinci

Danish
Krev said:
Eh.
Wasn't meant as tough talk, don't read too much into it.
Just saying, the next MS and Sony consoles could be hugely more powerful than Wii U. They could also be on-par...we don't know yet.
There was plenty of RROD talk on page one, by the way.

Oh, I know. I was making fun of those people too.

szaromir

Banned
Vinci said:
Glad to get your first-hand experience on what next-gen COD-style games will play like with the system. I would probably have ignored them anyway.
Yeah, just like COD style games will get adapted to Kinect or whatever other pointless gimmicky setup console manufacturers come up with.

Gravijah

szaromir said:
Yeah, just like COD style games will get adapted to Kinect or whatever other pointless gimmicky setup console manufacturers come up with.

The Kinect has no buttons at all. The Wii U controller still has the basic modern controller layout.

mr_nothin

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I wonder what gimmick they will go with to counter Nintendos WiiU controller...?
I dont think anyone needs a gimmick to "compete" with the wii u's controller. That controller wont have the same market appeal that the Wii had. From mom, grandma, grandpa, and sis's perspectives...what's new or exciting about a small screen with buttons that you can only carry around the house? It's basically a handheld.

Vinci

Danish
szaromir said:

Comments like these are so incredibly dull. It's almost depressing to hear people consistently suggest that game controls have reached their pinnacle.

mr_nothin

Banned
Heavy said:
Rein contradicts himself regarding Samaritan:

So it's still possible.
I thought that at 1st too but I re-read and saw the keywords "right now" and the keyphrase "that affordable for consumers".

szaromir

Banned
Gravijah said:
The Kinect has no buttons at all. The Wii U controller still has the basic modern controller layout.
Inferior analogs, I'm not sure if it even has vibrations? (maybe it does). The point is the controller is just so big and the screen is useless for COD-like twitch games.

Comments like these are so incredibly dull. It's almost depressing to hear people consistently suggest that game controls have reached their pinnacle.
It's also sad to see people hyped up by useless gimmicks.

Gravijah said:
The iterative sequel crowd is the last place that publishers will want to innovate though. There won't be any substantial changes to the COD formula while it's the #1 selling game every year.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
mr_nothin said:
I dont think anyone needs a gimmick to "compete" with the wii u's controller. That controller wont have the same market appeal that the Wii had. From mom, grandma, grandpa, and sis's perspectives...what's new or exciting about a small screen with buttons that you can only carry around the house? It's basically a handheld.

By that reasoning the wii wouldn't be even one bit as successfull given that it's "just something you wave around". Rest assured, the 360 and ps3 were the last consoles that launched just as a "regular" console.

Gravijah

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The iterative sequel crowd is the last place that publishers will want to innovate though. There won't be any substantial changes to the COD formula while it's the #1 selling game every year.

Right, I don't disagree that there will be little innovation when it comes to CoD. I'm just saying that the Wii U controller still has the basic foundation of a normal controller unlike the Kinect.

Edit: I'm really sick of typing out Wii U controller. It needs a nickname.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
szaromir said:
Inferior analogs,
Have you used them?
I'm not sure if it even has vibrations? (maybe it does).
It does.
The point is the controller is just so big and the screen is useless for COD-like twitch games.
It's also said to be very light. You can easily ignore the screen if the controller is comfortable enough. Not every game needs to use it.

Vinci said:

People still think dual analog are the best thing to happen to shooters...
We will never evolve.

mr_nothin

Banned
Corky said:
By that reasoning the wii wouldn't be even one bit as successfull given that it's "just something you wave around". Rest assured, the 360 and ps3 were the last consoles that launched just as a "regular" console.
Waggle actually directly affected how you play and supported Nintendo's "Lower the threshold of difficulty in the interface" philosophy.

Being semi-portable doesnt affect gameplay nearly as much IMO and I dont think it does so in a way where it lowers the interface difficulty threshold.

a1m

Banned
Gravijah said:
Getting a PS4 before they remove BC again, huh? :'(
I already own 2 PS3's and I guess they aren't going nowhere so I don't care for bc although of course it wouldn't hurt.

PS. I see what you did there.

Krev said:
I didn't say that iPad was exclusively casual. I said that tablet controls don't factor into the hardcore PC/console landscape, but that doesn't mean they're not important to gaming.

We don't know that yet though. The way gaming has evolved in just 5 years since the Wii launched and just 1 year since the Move/Kinect launched tells us we really can't 'plan' for the future. Even with the new Wii bringing tablet controls to the console market and some PC manufacturers like HP making touch screen monitors I would say the "tablet controls" are just in its infancy rather than putting them in a separate column.

AceBandage said:
We will never evolve.

They are, when speaking directly of a controller in your hand and console related.

"DAD! Billy won't pass the keyboard and mouse and table, it's my turn!"

It's a matter of compromise and the dual analog setup works very well for what it's meant to do.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I think the next XBOX is in a very safe position when it comes to marketshare. From the stats we saw at E3, 40% was used for none-gaming, and the better hardware and increased services will probably make that bigger. It's going to be interesting to see what the stats will be for what services are used on the platform.

Vinci said:
Curious: Is the rear touchpad on the back of the Vita a useless gimmick?

to me, it kinda is, at least until I see/play a game with a satisfying use of it and i'm sure it'll happen at some point in time.

szaromir

Banned
Gravijah said:
Right, I don't disagree that there will be little innovation when it comes to CoD. I'm just saying that the Wii U controller still has the basic foundation of a normal controller unlike the Kinect.
Kinect by itself doesn't stop you from holding enything in your hand.
Have you used them?
How do you expect actions like using a knife to be done on the WU controller?
It'll probably have gimmicky and pointless application in games. I like my DS a lot, but when there's a choice between buttons and the screen, buttons work better every time.

Bailers

Sorry if this has been said already, I couldn't get through all the pages here on my phone. 2013 makes sense to me for Sony. That gives GG and ND two years from the release of Uncharted and Killzone. And think about it, releasing UC4 on the PS4? perfect marketing hook.

And just for grins, I'll throw out 400 as a price point.

miksar

AceBandage said:
We will never evolve.
Why do we need d-pad instead of joystick for moving characters? What is the point of mouse if I can use keyboard arrows for aiming?

Vinci

Danish
madmaxx350 said:
to me, it kinda is, at least until I see/play a game with a satisfying use of it and i'm sure it'll happen at some point in time.

If even one game uses it well and is great in part due to that touchpad, then it's hardly a useless gimmick.

Vinci said:
In the way it's used in Uncharted it certainly is. Obviously the touch pad has more practical gameplay applications, but for fast paced shooters it's borderline worthless.

flyinpiranha said:
We don't know that yet though. The way gaming has evolved in just 5 years since the Wii launched and just 1 year since the Move/Kinect launched tells us we really can't 'plan' for the future. Even with the new Wii bringing tablet controls to the console market and some PC manufacturers like HP making touch screen monitors I would say the "tablet controls" are just in its infancy rather than putting them in a separate column.

They are, when speaking directly of a controller in your hand and console related.

"DAD! Billy won't pass the keyboard and mouse and table, it's my turn!"

It's a matter of compromise and the dual analog setup works very well for what it's meant to do.

IR aiming is a billion times better and faster than dual analog for shooters, and it's a hell of a lot more convenient, too.

Vinci said:
If even one game uses it well and is great in part due to that touchpad, then it's hardly a useless gimmick.

and that's why I said until at least one game comes out and use it well and i'm not talking about the way Little Deviants does.

Vinci

Danish
Sho_Nuff82 said:
In the way it's used in Uncharted it certainly is. Obviously the touch pad has more practical gameplay applications, but for fast paced shooters it's borderline worthless.

I'm hoping game designers disagree with you. If they don't, I'll be particularly disappointed in them.

madmaxx350 said:
and that's why I said until at least one game comes out and use it well and i'm not talking about the way Little Deviants does.

What's wrong with Little Deviants?

AceBandage said:
IR aiming is a billion times better and faster than dual analog for shooters, and it's a hell of a lot more convenient, too.

I hated it when playing RE5 and Killzone with the Move and hated it for anything with the Wii. It's my opinion but the few people that also sampled it at my house didn't enjoy it either. Completely anecdotal so no need to go "I'm sure your friends are all gamers huh brah?"

But how is two controllers more "convenient" than one?

But this is all opinion anyway. People are still cleaning house with the controller over the Move. I'm sure if implemented correctly (unlike the ways I've used it) you probably are right. But until I see that I can't imagine it being more "convenient"

Although I am waiting on the KZ3 gun attachment to become a cheap plastic trade in so I can pick it up for 5 bucks, as having the movement controller and the Move controller in one solid object might make for a better experience. But playing KZ3 with the Move ... man, glad I Gamefly'd that one.

Gravijah

flyinpiranha said:
I hated it when playing RE5 and Killzone with the Move and hated it for anything with the Wii. It's my opinion but the few people that also sampled it at my house didn't enjoy it either. Completely anecdotal so no need to go "I'm sure your friends are all gamers huh brah?"

But how is two controllers more "convenient" than one?

But this is all opinion anyway. People are still cleaning house with the controller over the Move. I'm sure if implemented correctly (unlike the ways I've used it) you probably are right. But until I see that I can't imagine it being more "convenient"

Although I am waiting on the KZ3 gun attachment to become a cheap plastic trade in so I can pick it up for 5 bucks, as having the movement controller and the Move controller in one solid object might make for a better experience. But playing KZ3 with the Move ... man, glad I Gamefly'd that one.

Mouse+KB is two controllers and it's the most "convenient" of all!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If this happens Nintendo will be in a very interesting position. Their console will no longer hold any graphical or power edge over the competition, it will all fall down to the fact that they have the second screen, and it will seemingly be a repeat of 360/PS3 vs Wii all over again, only this time I don't think Nintendo will do as well.

Deadly Cyclone said:
If this happens Nintendo will be in a very interesting position. Their console will no longer hold any graphical or power edge over the competition, it will all fall down to the fact that they have the second screen, and it will seemingly be a repeat of 360/PS3 vs Wii all over again, only this time I don't think Nintendo will do as well.

It'll be nothing like Wii vs 360/PS3, though.
The Wii U uses standardized components and shaders.
In the same way the iPhone can run UE3, the Wii U should be able to run a scaled down version of any next gen engine.
Even Samaritan was made using UE3.

Deadly Cyclone said:
WHAT?!!!

you mean the competition won't have any graphical edge over Nintendo, correct?

FyreWulff

Deadly Cyclone said:
If this happens Nintendo will be in a very interesting position. Their console will no longer hold any graphical or power edge over the competition,

NES
PS1
PS2
Wii

Success of a console is not related to how powerful it is. The only debatable generation is the SNES vs Genesis one, and that one was a virtual tie until the last year when SNES finally pulled away, and depending on who you ask either console is the "more powerful one".

The N64 had twice the RAM (4x with the expansion pak) and lost it's generation. (Yes, I know Nintendo still made a ton of profit) The GameCube and Xbox were eons ahead of the PS2 and both only sold about 14 million versus the PS2's 80 million.

Top Bottom