• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Some Insight into Microsoft's Xbox 360 Content Submission Policy

xbhaskarx

It was pretty obvious that MS had such a policy, especially regarding XBLA games...

I'm not seeing any reason for outrage here (maybe that's because I own all the consoles).

OldJadedGamer said:
This really is the best way to go about getting your game out as a small dev team who can only work on one game at a time. Make it timed exclusive for the XBLA and reap the extra rewards from that like free marketing and the biggest install base for downloadable titles, then basically the PC version is done when the XBLA is done... then take the time to port the PSN version and get a second boost of marketing when the game releases there.

So it's a win/win for everyone and the developer can take their time with each port and still sell their games to the widest audience on as many systems as they can. Gamers regardless of system get to play the game and the developers get to maximize their marketing and profits.

Wouldn't that be the iOS?

Also I don't know if I agree with this assessment of yours that the way to go should be XBL timed exclusive then PC then PSN. PSN and PC only users always getting late ports does not sound like a win win situation for everyone like you portrayed. I think developers don't choose that route just for the hell of it, MS gives plenty of incentives and free marketing for games on their XBL SOA deal, I mean who would turn that down? Sony, with their U$20 million incentive, might be getting some timed exclusives sometime next year.

Withnail

AranhaHunter said:

Also I don't know if I agree with this assessment of yours that the way to go should be XBL timed exclusive then PC then PSN. PSN and PC only users always getting late ports does not sound like a win win situation for everyone like you portrayed. I think developers don't choose that route just for the hell of it, MS gives plenty of incentives and free marketing for games on their XBL SOA deal, I mean who would turn that down? Sony, with their U$20 million incentive, might be getting some timed exclusives sometime next year.

This whole thread is about how Sony cannot get timed exclusives because MS will refuse sloppy seconds. Publishers either treat both platforms equally or they miss out on the XBLA audience.

Just because microsoft can refuse the release of it on their system doesn't mean they're going to. All it does is give developers something to think about, either create platform parity or fear being left out of 360 market.

Withnail said:
This whole thread is about how Sony cannot get timed exclusives because MS will refuse sloppy seconds. Publishers either treat both platforms equally or they miss out on the XBLA audience.

Did you read the post that I quoted? That's what I was responding to.

Withnail

AranhaHunter said:
Did you read the post that I quoted? That's what I was responding to.

Yes and I was responding to the bit you wrote about $20m buying Sony some timed exclusives. It's not going to happen while MS is in a dominant position.

AranhaHunter said:

I meant out of consoles... but there is nothing that stops an iOS port as well. How is it not win/win? Everyone gets to play the games and the developers get to take their time making one version at a time and they get extra marketing out of it.

Getting a late port... means you are still getting to play the game. A good game is a good game regardless of when it releases. Was Castle Crashers less fun on the PSN because it came out on XBLA first? No.

Withnail said:
Yes and I was responding to the bit you wrote about $20m buying Sony some timed exclusives. It's not going to happen while MS is in a dominant position.

You mean like there's no PSN exclusives right now? Of course it'll happen dude, do you think Sony will moneyhat some devs just to have them port their stuff day and date to xbl?

OldJadedGamer said:
I meant out of consoles... but there is nothing that stops an iOS port as well. How is it not win/win? Everyone gets to play the games and the developers get to take their time making one version at a time and they get extra marketing out of it.

Getting a late port... means you are still getting to play the game. A good game is a good game regardless of when it releases. Was Castle Crashers less fun on the PSN because it came out on XBLA first? No.

But going by your logic small devs should focus on iOS then port to XBL, PC, and PSN in that order. iOS shouldn't get ports, it should be the primary focus of indie devs.

Getting a late port is definitely not a win win situation for everyone. CC already felt like it was an old game and I had heard so much about about and even played it on my buddy's 360 by the time it hit PSN. Your situation is a win/win situation for MS and 360 owners, not so much for everyone else. Would all mp games still be fun if they released on PS3 and Steam a year after the 360? Sure, but I wouldn't consider that a win/win situation for sony/valve and their customers.

Withnail

AranhaHunter said:
You mean like there's no PSN exclusives right now? Of course it'll happen dude, do you think Sony will moneyhat some devs just to have them port their stuff day and date to xbl?

But going by your logic small devs should focus on iOS then port to XBL, PC, and PSN in that order. iOS shouldn't get ports, it should be the primary focus of indie devs.

Getting a late port is definitely not a win win situation for everyone. CC already felt like it was an old game and I had heard so much about about and even played it on my buddy's 360 by the time it hit PSN. Your situation is a win/win situation for MS and 360 owners, not so much for everyone else. Would all mp games still be fun if they released on PS3 and Steam a year after the 360? Sure, but I wouldn't consider that a win/win situation for sony/valve and their customers.

I mean like PSN doesn't get timed exclusives. When Sony spend $20m on PSN games they will be exclusives that stay exclusive, like Flower, PixelJunk etc. They won't be timed exclusives because MS won't accept getting games second.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I feel like I've heard of deals like this before... something involving video games... New York State... $10 coupons...

V_Ben said:
That's kinda nuts when you think about it. PSN people can look forward to XBLA games after a while, but XBLA only people will never get stuff like Joe Danger. Bizarre :/
This. I got rid of my PS3 last year and regret it simply because of the PSN games I'm now missing out on. Hoping they say the Joe Danger sequel is coming to 360, otherwise I'll be buying another PS3 during the holidays.

BurntPork

Banned
gofreak said:
So basically as a result of this policy...XBLA debuts can make their way to PSN, while PSN games will stay exclusive to PSN - as much because of MS policy as any effort Sony makes.

Hmmm.
582u.gif

Seriously, someone didn't think this through.

Kagari said:
Microsoft's content submission and release policy reads: "Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other videogame platforms, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with other platform versions in all regions where the title is available.

This is a good thing, joker exclusive challenge maps ect will hopefully become a thing of the past, publishers will be reluctant to offer such bonuses when it could potentially alienate near half of the potential userbase.

Platform holders are a joke, always have been - they should be pursuing as much content as possible, instead of fostering petty system warz that only hurt their own customers and drive away developers. It's no wonder smart phone and PC indie development is on the rise.

Withnail said:
I mean like PSN doesn't get timed exclusives. When Sony spend $20m on PSN games they will be exclusives that stay exclusive, like Flower, PixelJunk etc. They won't be timed exclusives because MS won't accept getting games second.

Not entirely true, there have been a handful of PSN Timed Exclusives, that have made way onto XBLA later.
Scott Pilgrim, Necromachina (Moon Diver) and the up and coming Bloodrayne: Betrayal all timed exclusives for PSN that eventually came to XBLA.

I always say this but despite how much someone may love their 360, or Live, or XBLA or anything, the company behind it will always be Microsoft.

FoxSpirit

OldJadedGamer said:
If I sell you a dirty sock for $3,000. How am I not successful and deserve what I got? I was smart enough to sell a crappy product for great profit to someone.
Wow, so you are applauding fraudulent business? Glass pearls for gold?

Just because you can make a profit doesn't make you deserving it.

BurntPork

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
This is a good thing, joker exclusive challenge maps ect will hopefully become a thing of the past, publishers will be reluctant to offer such bonuses when it could potentially alienate near half of the potential userbase.
That can only be the case if Sony, Valve, and Nintendo also adopt that policy in the future.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I always say this but despite how much someone may love their 360, or Live, or XBLA or anything, the company behind it will always be Microsoft.

If you think that any publicly traded company is altruistic, you're insane.

Oozinator

Banned
This is not news, All of the three console makers can refuse to licence any game for any reason, no publisher/developer can force them to approve a game.

snoopeasystreet said:
If you think that any publicly traded company is altruistic, you're insane.
and you're insane for thinking someone would think that. But Microsoft is Microsoft. They are known for specific thing more so than other companies are. This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's just how things are. Not a revolution I'm trying to start, just pointing it out.

StalkerUKCG said:
That's so old news. The new way to alienate is to have timed exclusive dlc.

mujun

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Platform holders are a joke, always have been - they should be pursuing as much content as possible, instead of fostering petty system warz that only hurt their own customers and drive away developers. It's no wonder smart phone and PC indie development is on the rise.

If the complaints of people on this board are any indication your idea is not a good indication of how things should be handled.

Let devs put anything on a platform and people complain it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Try to set up some sort of rules to maintain a level of quality and then devs who can't meet that level bitch about the service being too exclusive, not long after that people on the boards complain how the service isn't open enough.

At the end of the day there is a shit load of good stuff coming out on XBLA all the time, same for retail stuff. The only way the 360 suffers in comparison to the PS3 is with their first party retail line up and even then they have stuff like Indies and XBLA to make up for it in part.

I am seriously befuddled as to how anybody thinks what MS is doing here is a bad thing.

They are standing up for people who own Xboxs so that publishers can have a good long think before they throw timed exclusives or exclusive bonus content to another platform.

Crakatak187 said:
That's so old news. The new way to alienate is to have timed exclusive dlc.
or do what capcom did with Dead rising 2.

Prologue and Epilogue DLC are 360 exclusive!

that sure was a good way to grow that franchises fan base.

Gaspode_T

FieryBalrog said:
I am seriously befuddled as to how anybody thinks what MS is doing here is a bad thing.

They are standing up for people who own Xboxs so that publishers can have a good long think before they throw timed exclusives or exclusive bonus content to another platform.

I think you mean "ask Sony for moneyhats for timed exclusives"

funkystudent said:
or do what capcom did with Dead rising 2.

Prologue and Epilogue DLC are 360 exclusive!

that sure was a good way to grow that franchises fan base.
Publishers this generation makes me shake my head in disgust.

Afrikan

so......no more 7.1 lossless sound for PS3 multiplat games huh?

no more MOVE support for PS3 multiplat games?
no more MLAA for PS3 multiplats?
no more youtube upload feature?
no more free online gameplay for PS3 multiplat games???? where does it stop haha

......no more incentive for a developer to take advantage of another console abilities?

Afrikan said:

no more free online gameplay for PS3 multiplat games???? where does it stop haha

......no more incentive for a developer to take advantage of another console abilities?

Are you serious? What on earth are you talking about? How has Microsoft ever prevented any of those things from happening?

NavNucST3

Trunchisholm said:
Are you serious? What on earth are you talking about? How has Microsoft ever prevented any of those things from happening?

I would imagine it being the lack of understanding in the nuance between having the right to do something and exercising said right.

Afrikan said:

Reserves the right to not allow a game to be published on their platform.
Not sure but they will use it as a argument for why they don't want the game on their platform not downright say fuck you guys im going home.

lockload

gofreak said:
So basically as a result of this policy...XBLA debuts can make their way to PSN, while PSN games will stay exclusive to PSN - as much because of MS policy as any effort Sony makes.

Hmmm.

No most PSN exclusives never are exclusive for this reason and MS already have far too many games to release as it is they would ideally release 1 a week but they currently do two

Mxrz

Meh. Fuck Microsoft, etc.

Really need to either figure out Linux, or start drinking coffee and buy a Mac.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I wonder if this is why Trine XBLA never happened?

Could be but the bigger concern to me is the size restrictions. They already bumped it up once but it's still too small and Torchlight 2 is having difficulties.

There are many benefits to a controlled closed system but at the same time there are also many problems. As consoles become more and more PC like the problems arise. With so many PC developers like Steam supporting consoles it's creating a big division among the Xbox 360 the most.

Afrikan said:

The Move support actual negates all those other benefits. :)

Top Bottom