• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer under scrutiny when telling ''No'' to stop acting as political activists

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If it's arbitrary, I can understand. There are certainly tactful ways to do it. With that said, I'm not sure if I'd want to see right-wing games coverage in the current climate. Imagine the polar opposite of Eurogamer backing transgender rights... it'd get pretty ugly.

I'm not sure it needs to be far-left, or far-right, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

lock2k

Banned
I miss the times when you opened a gaming magazine, or a website, and you read about gameplay:

Stuff like:

- The controls are good
- The graphics look amazing
- The animations are incredible
- The story is really interesting
- The save system is groundbreaking
- The characters are really charismatic

Content related to games. It was really good.

None of this political bullshit.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If it's arbitrary, I can understand. There are certainly tactful ways to do it. With that said, I'm not sure if I'd want to see right-wing games coverage in the current climate. Imagine the polar opposite of Eurogamer backing transgender rights... it'd get pretty ugly.
Wait... So you think that the only alternative to this kind of gaming journalism is the complete opposite right-winger crap? Am I in the Matrix or what? The world ain't black and white.

Anyone can say what they want as its a free country. If it were me and I was in a position of influence I wouldnt say anything political no matter what because I wouldnt want to alienate my audience. Look what happened to battlefield 5. It got political and paid for it in sales. There was a developer a while back I forget who but they were saying if you supported trump I believe then dont buy our game then the game bombed. That was a bad decision. I play games for entertainment. I get enough politics in My life from everywhere else. If I dont want to hear it from my source of entertainment I just dont play said game like with battlefield 5.

dolabla

I never read Eurogamer anyways so this doesn't affect me. I only watch Digital Foundry and the great content they put out.

However, it is a disaster to start introducing politics in your content that's meant for large swaths of audience. I don't know why you would voluntarily do such thing and risk alienating many people.

Gold_Loot

I don’t mind some political talk on gaming sites. The problem I personally have is that it’s not political ‘talk’. It’s all been a one sided propaganda push.
I would really like to see some real discussion from all angles of the spectrum , as well as encouragement to challenge and understand each other’s views.

There’s a real lack of balance in today’s ‘journalism’

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t mind some political talk on gaming sites. The problem I personally have is that it’s not political ‘talk’. It’s all been a one sided propaganda push.
I would really like to see some real discussion from all angles of the spectrum , as well as encouragement to challenge and understand each other’s views.

There’s a real lack of balance in today’s ‘journalism’

Absolutely - and articulated better than my efforts. The bolded is exactly what's missing currently.

The problem is not their political stance but rather the unintelligent way they do it and that is perfectly encapsulated by that "No, sorry" tweet. It's an arrogant sounding ironic answer that's done exclusively so people can react viciously to it with outdated gifs and OMG followed by !!!! or shit like that. It's the lowest common denominator of political talk since the content is not important, the stance is what counts. Problem is, again, that said stance sounds moronic to anyone but those inside its circle. It repels everyone else and it's such an easy thing to diagnose it's truly baffling some progressive leaning people can't seem to realize why there's suddenly less of them in the room.

Last edited:

Pantz

I don't visit Eurogamer because of the overly political vibes I got from them.

I do visit Digital Foundry because they talk about games and stuff.

Trogdor1123

They should report on it. But just report on it. They shouldn't be biased if at all possible.

That goes in all ways. They are there to report the news, not make it.

Makariel

I just wonder how many of those still reading the EG website on a regular basis are really surprised by this? Maybe just my perception, but most of the backlash seems to come from folks not really reading EG anyway? I would assume anyone who read an EG article the past few years has a good idea about their political leanings. One should therefore not be surprised that a publication would cater to their audience. It's like a bit like complaining "The Sun" and other tabloids would be "too one-sided". UK publications don't really do "balance".

ROMhack

I'm not a fan of Eurogamer but I hope nobody mistakes it due to them being politically active. They could be as politically active as Martin Luther King but not when the quality of their content is as shit as it's been lately. The site is a real far flung from the halcyon days of Keith Stuart and Tom Bramwell.

Edit: I agree with them politically but I don't agree with politics being shoehorned into articles about games. I just don't wanna read that. My choice.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I'm not sure it needs to be far-left, or far-right, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Agreed. I wouldn't call Eurogamer far left (transgender rights are something people from many political perspectives would agree on) -- I'd just say it knows how its bread is buttered.

Aurelian

Wait... So you think that the only alternative to this kind of gaming journalism is the complete opposite right-winger crap? Am I in the Matrix or what? The world ain't black and white.

No, I'm just saying I wouldn't like to see it. And let's be honest, the current American political leadership is virulently anti-transgender, so I'd expect at least some of its supporters to be similarly caustic.

Wait...Eurogamer is using a Saturday Night Live GIF? That's pretty cool--for some reason, I assumed (incorrectly) that it was only watched by Canadian and US audiences.

Not worried about the rest of what was brought up, to be honest. If you're triggered, then move to another publication or start your own.

tassletine

I've brought this up as a complaint in the past, but they don't seem to care and most of the audience skews that way. Eurogamer is the polar opposite of a dudebro site now, and about as annoying.

The way they gloated over Red Dead 2 not getting "game of the year" in their podcast was pretty telling. They framed it like it was a slap on the wrist from them towards Rockstar and they were the ones doing the slapping. The Kingdom Come review is also worth a read as they appear to mark the game down because of racism.

That review comes across as doubly hilarious because Eurogamer never address the fact that they are made up of (mainly) upper-middle class white males.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. I wouldn't call Eurogamer far left (transgender rights are something people from many political perspectives would agree on) -- I'd just say it knows how its bread is buttered.

Depends on your definition of transgender rights. The right to have nobody give a shit that they're trans, I support. The right to indoctrinate kids, not so much. It's a fine line. Further, the movements they support tend to be the more aggressive political movements.

Saruhashi

Banned
Good Lord. Go away.

Nah, I think I'll stay.

Sorry to call you out but I genuinely feel that such dishonest and sneaky approaches to "political debate" are emblematic of the attitude of outlets like Eurogamer also.

I'd point to their commentary on Kindgom Come: Deliverance as a decent example of their brand of "political discussion".

I'm just grateful you gave me a live example to help illustrate my point. Thanks.

Gaming outlets shouldn't stay away from politics necessarily but they should at least try to be fair and honest when they do engage.

Xiaoki

Well, can safely say that this part

"You realize gamers don't give a crap about politics and only care about games."

of Fox Salazar's rebuttal is 100% completely wrong.

Sometimes, I think "gamers" care more about politics than games.

I think it’s a catastrophic problem when these “video game” websites primarily focus on politics and their proverbial political checklists over gameplay and enjoyment. Who gives a flying crap if a game fills a political agenda when the gameplay is lackluster? Video games to me are about having fun and escaping reality, not forced diversity, agendas and politics that doesn’t make the game any better.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone who wants to cash in on Hysteria Bucks can do so for the time being. Just make sure you avoid them if that bothers you. That's all we can really do until the mind virus clears up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm more concerned about all the AAA developers that are liking that tweet. Doesn't spell confidence in their upcoming projects, with the continued injection and reinventing historical narratives.

Last edited:

ROMhack

That review comes across as doubly hilarious because Eurogamer never address the fact that they are made up of (mainly) upper-middle class white males.

They've been addressing that with their new hires. They posted an advert for internship last summer and even their loyal readership were half-joking about the fact it was only worth applying if you weren't a guy. Understandably-but-totally-unsurprisingly, they then hired a girl (and then made her spend half her day writing news articles about Fortnite :messenger_tears_of_joy:).

She's a good writer though to her credit and had a solid background writing about games for her university magazine. I know this because I'm an online detective.

Last edited:

Dunki

I went to the twitter page to see the outrage but instead I saw that Pillars 2 gets a turn based battle mode and I was excited....

Fuck the politics shit :p

Aurelian

Depends on your definition of transgender rights. The right to have nobody give a shit that they're trans, I support. The right to indoctrinate kids, not so much. It's a fine line. Further, the movements they support tend to be the more aggressive political movements.

I think it's simple: if it's clear a child is transgender, support them (you're more likely to see this in their teenage years, but I wouldn't rule out younger). And we should certainly make it clear to kids that it's okay if someone is transgender, which speaks to your first point.

anthraticus

Banned
I'm more concerned about all the AAA developers that are liking that tweet. Doesn't spell confidence in their upcoming projects, and the continued injection and reinventing history narratives.
I'd be more concerned if I actually gave a shit about their dumbed down popamole games.

Eurogamer should run their business and social-media presence however they see fit, but tweets such as the one featured in the OP and increasingly the subject matter and content of many of their articles is why I'm largely dismissive of the brand and its website.

Last edited:

zenspider

The stream was gaming-related. Eurogamer was doing their journalistic duty by reporting it.

However, they also fell for the bait.Instead of pointing out the very simple and very obvious fact mentioned above, they climbed onto their ivory tower. This would not be a story if Eurogamer was self-aware enough to politely deflect the particular Twitter complaint and move on with their agenda in other articles.

To me, this isn't a smoking gun for an insidious political agenda at Eurogamer. Anyone can look up their history and draw their own conclusions. Rather, this is yet another example of terrible journalists lacking in all professionalism and long-term thinking.

Great summation.
The bait / counter-bait component is really important to note, because all that's really happening is agenda-neutral polarization.

I would also correct anyone getting their pants in a twist that we do or don't need to find an insidious agenda here, becuse what is plainly on display is far worse - a mercantile one.

tkscz

They profit off hate clicks. They create bait articles to attract activists and gamers.

Just do like I do, I stopped visiting these sites 5 or more years ago. The only exception being the occasional Digital Foundry article talking about something technical.

When ExclusivelyGames is up, migrate there. Let's leave them behind.

Agreed. I just don't get anything out of the click baity articles and just left these sites be. Let them make their ad revenue on someone else.

nkarafo

I stopped following all these "gaming sites" a while ago. Seems like they get worse and worse these days so nothing is lost.

Iorv3th

I don't care. I don't go to their site anyways. Was pretty dumb when they couldn't even do a review of Kingdom Come Deliverance and had to try and push some agenda against the game and it's creators as being racist and all these other things.

These sites want to get views by creating controversy and feeding into a political side. That's fine. I won't visit them though or take their coverage seriously.

VulcanRaven

Another one jumping on the progressive leftist bandwagon... And another site for me to throw in the dumpster.

Maybe they don't realize they are alienating their main audience. It will be their main loss, ultimately. So, to me, it's whatever. Do whatever you want. Just realize that it does have consequences, maybe consequences you don't like...

Kind of reminds me of the recent Gillette add.
How does that Twitter post alienate anyone? Also how do you know that most gamers are against it? I don't think they are.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped following all these "gaming sites" a while ago. Seems like they get worse and worse these days so nothing is lost.

I would kinda like a good place to find out about what's being released though. Why can't we have what we had from PC Zone, Amiga Power, ST Format etc back in the day : reviews from people who are passionate about games, news about what's coming up, etc?

Xenon

Seems like a non issue to me. There is a difference between acknowledging an event and injecting or demanding politics in gaming. People are getting over sensitive to this type of stuff.

Horns

How does that Twitter post alienate anyone? Also how do you know that most gamers are against it? I don't think they are.

It doesn't alienate anyone and most are not against it. The same people who are triggered by the recent Gillette advertisement would be bothered by what Eurogamer posted.

Gaming blogs/news sites are fucking trash. Social media blurbs from the actual devs/publishers, Youtube & Twitch have replaced the need for them.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't alienate anyone and most are not against it. The same people who are triggered by the recent Gillette advertisement would be bothered by what Eurogamer posted.

It's ironic that the word triggered is now used more by the alt-left than the alt-right. Next they'll start saying cuck.

Lightsbane

If you're going to lobby for something, at least have the decency to take a minuscule amount of time and align the damn fonts. That shit's triggering my OCD.

nkarafo

I would kinda like a good place to find out about what's being released though. Why can't we have what we had from PC Zone, Amiga Power, ST Format etc back in the day : reviews from people who are passionate about games, news about what's coming up, etc?
Honestly, i'm pretty much done with reviews as well. As i grow older (and wiser i think) they feel less and less important to me. They rarely give me the information i care about and most of the time it's subjective opinions. I understand the magazines nostalgia, i also love re-reading them today, but let's be honest here. Most reviews were nonsense. Not to mention the misinformation that you couldn't research yourself. I still can't forget how a review of N64 Turok 2 cost me a significant amount of money because they assured me it's a "smooth game with no frame rate problems whatsoever". That was on the N64 magazine, which was my favorite btw.

Anyway, for information, i prefer forums like this. It's not like we are going to miss any release and there is a wider range of opinions. I also prefer to watch some youtubers that i like and ofc, Digital Foundry are also great.

bilderberg

people must give a crap about them for them to stay in business, right? I wonder if the majority of their base are left leaning, or just begrudgingly put up with their occasional politics because they enjoy everything else? I've unsubbed from Giant Bomb because they've become insufferable, but they must have a new supply of fans that just eat up everything they say.

Helios

There's nothing wrong with them reporting on the DK stream. I think almost all video game magazines have done this. Unfortunately Eurogamer doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to inserting politics and their political views into video-games unnecessarily . I don't know if the reader's response is because he is tired of Eurogamer inserting politics into everything or if he was just a troll. If it's the first than Eurogamer could've come up with a much better response and if it was the latter they played right into the troll's hand.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

They attach themselves to identity politics because most of them don't have a gaming background, they didn't care and are in for the money, and nobody gives a **** to what they have to say when it comes to gaming anymore, and they know it.

It's ironic that the word triggered is now used more by the alt-left than the alt-right. Next they'll start saying cuck.

It's reverse psychology, like when someone calls you insecure to trick you into accepting or doing something negative. The first instinct is doubling down on the rejection because you're doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I can't imagine that trained counsellors would allow themselves to be influenced by activists, but I'm no expert on counselling. I just think it's much healthier for these kids to have somewhere that can help them deal with their problems, instead of leaving them to suffer.

That would be the optimistic approach to viewing this, and I do agree if that were the case. However, there is more than enough evidence to show that there are some fringe groups that actively seek to harm children (even if that wasn't their intended goal), but feeding them their version of the world through a politically motivated lens which would provide long-term issues.

Just look at "BetterHelp" and the tremendous about of damage that company did. Being pessimistic and weary is not a bad thing. Also plenty of others mentioned the issues with "activists" within the field and the far-left mindset that many of the universities that promote these degrees provide.

I miss the times when you opened a gaming magazine, or a website, and you read about gameplay:

Stuff like:

- The controls are good
- The graphics look amazing
- The animations are incredible
- The story is really interesting
- The save system is groundbreaking
- The characters are really charismatic

Content related to games. It was really good.

None of this political bullshit.

Here is the Political version for you.

- Can these controls be used by anyone not associated with Trump?
- The graphics were done by a Striaght White Male who called someone online a "Whore". Can we tolerate this?
- The animations don't follow LGBT guidelines. Should they do more?
- The story is about the same White Male oppressing the System of Minorities. Can we stop this?
- You cannot save in any other colour than Blue. Can the system be changed?
- The characters all hail from a Political Party. We need to stop this oppression!

I agree that we need to go back to Paper Media as you never saw it and if you did, you rightfully either refunded it, binned it or never bought another copy as it doesn't talk about games.

On a related note. I was disgusted by one article years ago about the vaginas of each video game character by I believe her name was Laura Kate Dale? I thik it was her from Kotaku UK. It is not something you think about when you play these games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom