• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe: Rock Band this month for Wii, PS3/PS2

Paranoid_Robot said:
It would be really stupid to buy this considering the better hardware will be out soon with Rock Band 2 and GHIV. I will probably buy Rock Band but not the instruments later on.

How can it be PS3 and PS2? If I bought this for PS3 could I also play it on my PS2?

The instruments work with PS2 or PS3. That box doesn't come with any software.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Xater said:
Do you really think that will happen? We should have heard by now if they plan to release it this year...

Well, it looks like they're getting the PS3 release of Rock Band right (or at least righter). We should have heard by now if they plan to release Rock Band on PS2/3 and Wii next week too, right?

The multi-lingual instructions for the Rock Band 2 drums and the release of the Rock Band export tool for making RB1 songs available in RB2 on the European marketplace are both positive signs as to release date. The somewhat more sane pricing on the PS3/Wii/PS2 versions of Rock Band are positive signs as to release price.

I'm still not expecting a release of RB2 till next year here. I'm just hoping for the RB2 disc to be region free, otherwise it's just GH:WT after October until they sort their shit out here.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I was in GAME this evening and asked if they had a launch date for Rock Band 2 (on the off chance that it was due soon and the idiots who work there would leak it). The answer was that it was due in Easter next year, and the reason that it was delayed was because the launch was inevitably delayed by music licensing issues.

The self-restraint required not to laugh in their faces was incredible. That's the least convincing lie I've heard yet.

DarkJC

EA/MTV/whoever had a hand in this mess with Europe should be ashamed of themselves. How embarrassing that its taken them a year to fully launch RB1 there. They're also leaving GH:WT a nice big hole to fill there.

bluheim

Banned
What is the consensus here : is RB better than GH ? RB is available in less than two weeks here and I'm still not sure if I should buy it...

bluheim said:
What is the consensus here : is RB better than GH ? RB is available in less than two weeks here and I'm still not sure if I should buy it...

GH is a better single player guitar game, Rock Band is a better everything else. This could change with WT, but that's not out in Europe till November.

bluheim

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
GH is a better single player guitar game, Rock Band is a better everything else. This could change with WT, but that's not out in Europe till November.

Thanks. I'm looking for a guitar/singing game mainly, so I may have to wait for GH:WT.

bluheim said:
Thanks. I'm looking for a guitar/singing game mainly, so I may have to wait for GH:WT.

It's all opinion of course. Lots of people swear by Rock Band even in single player, but unless you invest a lot in to DLC I think it's on-disc setlist is pretty weak for guitar, especially if you've played GH before. If you haven't, it's more accessible than GH:3 for sure.

Struct09

TheGreatDave said:

I'm one of "those people" that prefer Rock Band even as a solo guitar game, and I play expert in both series.

However, if you're really into these games, there's no reason not to own both. Especially with GHWT and Rock Band 2 since all the instruments will be cross compatible.

Struct09 said:
I'm one of "those people" that prefer Rock Band even as a solo guitar game, and I play expert in both series.

However, if you're really into these games, there's no reason not to own both. Especially with GHWT and Rock Band 2 since all the instruments will be cross compatible.
Pretty much this. Especially the bolded part.

bluheim

Banned
Struct09 said:

Ok, so if I buy GHWT, I can't go wrong : when RB2 launchs, I won't have to buy the instruments again. That seals the deal for me. Thanks for the help !

Struct09 said:

Rock Band 2 looks like it's fixing all the problems I had with RB1, but seriously I can't stand that game without DLC and just a guitar.

Xater

iapetus said:
Well, it looks like they're getting the PS3 release of Rock Band right (or at least righter). We should have heard by now if they plan to release Rock Band on PS2/3 and Wii next week too, right?

The multi-lingual instructions for the Rock Band 2 drums and the release of the Rock Band export tool for making RB1 songs available in RB2 on the European marketplace are both positive signs as to release date. The somewhat more sane pricing on the PS3/Wii/PS2 versions of Rock Band are positive signs as to release price.

Well I have seen September dates for RB1 floating around for quite some time now, I guess it is semi official. The way they handling the franchise over here though combined with the pricing still just sucks. I guess if I buy a band game this year it will be GH:WT. Activision at least gets the release right...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so this won't work with the PS3 GH guitar?

but the future versions of GH/RB will be compatible (think I read that somwhere?) So if I want compatibility, I could just wait it out and perhaps buy RB2?

I'm in two minds because RB in the US seems to have way more DLC, and a lot more attractive than GH. but I won't be singing, and I'd like keyboard to be included.

mrklaw said:
so this won't work with the PS3 GH guitar?

but the future versions of GH/RB will be compatible (think I read that somwhere?) So if I want compatibility, I could just wait it out and perhaps buy RB2?

I'm in two minds because RB in the US seems to have way more DLC, and a lot more attractive than GH. but I won't be singing, and I'd like keyboard to be included.

I believe there is a patch for Rock Band 1 on the PS3 due this Thursday, that will enable the PS3 GH guitar to work with RB1.

Harmonix had the patch ready at the end of 2007, but a mysterious issue prevented it from being made available, now it is available.

The question for those of us with neither guitar, is which is the better one to go with, clicky GH, or mushy RB1.

123rl

Clicky. Every time. The RB guitar is fine for chords but any complex solos go to shit once you try them with the RB guitar. The Les Paul (and GH2 Explorer) are just perfect in comparison

http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/?p=1625

Rock Band out this week on Wii/PS2/PS3 in UK, price cut for instruments to £110. All formats.

All dates week beginning.
September 15th in France.
Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria and Luxembourg the week of September 22nd.
Spain from September 29th.

Ristlager

Nick Laslett said:
I believe there is a patch for Rock Band 1 on the PS3 due this Thursday, that will enable the PS3 GH guitar to work with RB1.

Harmonix had the patch ready at the end of 2007, but a mysterious issue prevented it from being made available, now it is available.

The question for those of us with neither guitar, is which is the better one to go with, clicky GH, or mushy RB1.

Where did you get this info?

Ristlager

So then Neversoft is finally getting my money....

If I buy the Euro version of Rock Band 1, do you think the Us version of RB2 is compatible, as I recon its a while until it is released here in Norway?

jakeellis01

So its out in UK...

anyone knows if the PS3 GH3 Les Paul Guitar is compatible for the EU version?

Mine should be delivered by next week :)

jakeellis01

PS3 UK version was delivered today.....

really like the new guitar feel... and the GH3 Les Paul works with a free downloadable patch!!

drums also look very sturdy... no issues whatsoever...

only thing which bothers me is how the guitar takes such a long time to activate star power

I like how the Harmonix games have a much better realistic feel compared to Neversoft ones... don't know what it is.. it just feels better.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
jakeellis01 said:
PS3 UK version was delivered today.....

really like the new guitar feel... and the GH3 Les Paul works with a free downloadable patch!!

You picked the right time to get it delivered - the Les Paul has only worked for the last day or so, and before the patch half the DLC crashed the game. :D

jakeellis01 said:
drums also look very sturdy... no issues whatsoever...

That won't take long to change, by all accounts. :p I've just bought (for other reasons) a (very) cheap beginner's electronic drum kit on eBay, so I'll probably end up getting the MIDI converter for Rock Band so that I can play on that.

jakeellis01 said:
only thing which bothers me is how the guitar takes such a long time to activate star power

Seems to be a broken-by-design feature of the guitars. Lowering the neck before raising it can sometimes help. I've given up completely, and use the Select button to activate it, because that works straight away.

Xater

Quick question does the PS3 version come with the new instruments? I heard alot of bad things about the old ones...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Xater said:
Quick question does the PS3 version come with the new instruments? I heard alot of bad things about the old ones...

Seems like it's a mix. I've seen reports of people getting old drum kits, but mine seems to be the new version. The guitar is wireless as well, which I didn't realise was the case. Though now I say that I have a nasty feeling I forgot to turn it off last night. :\

Xater

iapetus said:
Seems like it's a mix. I've seen reports of people getting old drum kits, but mine seems to be the new version. The guitar is wireless as well, which I didn't realise was the case. Though now I say that I have a nasty feeling I forgot to turn it off last night. :\

Mixes? WTF I don't want o gamble when I buy something like this...

jakeellis01

my drumkit is the SL version which i think is the newest version (bought mine from UK)... i thought its pretty decent.

also bought the Official Silencer kit for the drums... still to be delivered ... i'll give my reviews once i install them...

passed medium today on drums... time to try hard now :)

imo this guitar is the bestest guitar controller since sliced bread... love the feel of it and non clicky strum... and the small fret buttons for rocking out on solos (the bluish section) are a nice touch

shame star power/overdrive works like 1/10th of the time though (even less).... i'm not used to press the select button... really bothers me.

iapetus: does your guitar register sp/ov that rare?

xater: just go for it... you still have a full replacement warranty if anything is damaged

Top Bottom