• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Court of Human Rights: Web Sites Are Liable for User Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irminsul

Until now, I haven't found an English news source on this, only the judgement and a German source.

The judgement has quite a good summary of what happened:

A. Background of the case

The applicant company is the owner of Delfi, an Internet news portal that publishes up to 330 news articles a day. Delfi is one of the largest news portals on the Internet in Estonia. It publishes news in Estonian and Russian in Estonia and also operates in Latvia and Lithuania.

At the material time, at the end of the body of the news articles there were the words “add your comment” and fields for comments, the commenter’s name and his or her email address (optional). Below these fields there were buttons “publish the comment” and “read comments”. The part for reading comments left by others was a separate area which could be accessed by clicking on the “read comments” button. The comments were uploaded automatically and were, as such, not edited or moderated by the applicant company. The articles received about 10,000 readers’ comments daily, the majority posted under pseudonyms.

Nevertheless, there was a system of notify-and-take-down in place: any reader could mark a comment as leim (an Estonian word for an insulting or mocking message or a message inciting hatred on the Internet) and the comment was removed expeditiously. Furthermore, there was a system of automatic deletion of comments that included certain stems of obscene words. In addition, a victim of a defamatory comment could directly notify the applicant company, in which case the comment was removed immediately.

The applicant company had made efforts to advise users that the comments were not its opinion and that the authors of comments were responsible for their content. On Delfi’s Internet site there were “Rules of comment” which included the following:

“The Delfi message board is a technical medium allowing users to publish comments. Delfi does not edit comments. An author of a comment is liable for his/her comment. It is worth noting that there have been cases in the Estonian courts where authors have been punished for the contents of a comment ...

Delfi prohibits comments the content of which does not comply with good practice.

These are comments that:

- contain threats;

- contain insults;

- incite hostility and violence;

- incite illegal activities ...

- contain obscene expressions and vulgarities ...

Delfi has the right to remove such comments and restrict their authors’ access to the writing of comments ...”

The functioning of the notice-and-take-down system was also explained in the text.

The Government submitted that in Estonia Delfi had a notorious history of publishing defaming and degrading comments. Thus, on 22 September 2005 the weekly newspaper Eesti Ekspress had published a public letter from the editorial board to the Minister of Justice, the Chief Public Prosecutor and the Chancellor of Justice in which concern was expressed about incessant taunting of people on public websites in Estonia. Delfi was named as a source of brutal and arrogant mockery.

B. Article and comments published on the Internet news portal

On 24 January 2006 the applicant company published an article on the Delfi portal under the heading ‘SLK Destroyed Planned Ice Road’. Ice roads are public roads over the frozen sea which are open between the Estonian mainland and some islands in winter. The abbreviation SLK stands for AS Saaremaa Laevakompanii (Saaremaa Shipping Company, a public limited company). SLK provides a public ferry transport service between the mainland and some islands. L. was a member of the supervisory board of SLK and the company’s sole or majority shareholder at the material time.

On 24 and 25 January 2006 the article attracted 185 comments. About twenty of them contained personal threats and offensive language directed against L.

On 9 March 2006 L.’s lawyers requested the applicant company to remove the offensive comments and claimed 500,000 kroons (EEK) (approximately 32,000 euros (EUR)) in compensation for non-pecuniary damage. The request concerned the following twenty comments:

1. 1. there are currents in [V]äinameri

2. open water is closer to the places you referred to, and the ice is thinner.

Proposal – let’s do as in 1905, let’s go to [K]uressaare with sticks and put [L.] and [Le.] in bag

2. fucking shitheads...

they bath in money anyways thanks to that monopoly and State subsidies and now started to fear that cars may drive to the islands for a couple of days without anything filling their purses. burn in your own ship, sick Jew!

3. good that [La.’s] initiative has not broken down the lines of the web flamers. go ahead, guys, [L.] into oven!

4. [little L.] go and drown yourself

5. aha... hardly believe that that [happened] by accident... assholes fck

6. rascal!!! [in Russian]

7. What are you whining, kill this bastard once[.] In the future the other ones ... will know what they will risk, even they will only have one little life.

8. ... is [bloody] right. To be lynched, to warn the other [islanders] and would-be men. Then nothing like that will be done again! In any event, [L.] very much deserves that, doesn’t he.

9. “a good man lives [long,] a shitty man [a day or two]”

10. If there was an iceroad, [one] could easily save 500 for a full car, fckng [L.] pay for that economy, why it takes 3 [hours] for your ferries if they are so good icebreakers, go and break ice in Pärnu port ... instead, fcking monkey, I will pass [the strait] anyways and if I will drown, it is your fault

11. and can’t anyone defy the shits?

12. [inhabitants of Saaremaa and Hiiumaa islands], do 1:0 to this dope.

13. wonder whether [L.] won’t be trashed in Saaremaa? to screw one’s owns like that.

14. The people will chatter for a couple of days in the Internet, but the crooks (and also those who are backed and whom we ourselves have elected to represent us) pocket the money and pay no attention to this flaming – no one gives a shit about this.

Once [M.] and other big crooks also used to boss around, but their greed stroke back (RIP). Will also strike back to these crooks sooner or later. As they sow, so shall they reap, but they should nevertheless be contained (by lynching as the state is powerless in respect of them – it is really them who govern the state), because they only live for today. Tomorrow, the flood.

15. this [V.] will once get [a blow] from me with a cake.

damn, as soon as you put a cauldron on the fire and there is smoke rising from the chimney of the sauna, the crows from Saaremaa are there – thinking that...a pig is going to be slaughtered. no way

16. bastards!!!! Ofelia also has an ice class, so this is no excuse why Ola was required!!!

17. Estonian state, led by scum [and] financed by scum, of course does not prevent or punish the antisocial acts of the scum. But well, each [L.] has his Michaelmas... and this cannot at all be compared to a ram’s Michaelmas. Actually sorry for [L.] – a human, after all... :D :D :D

18. ... if after such acts [L.] should all of a sudden happen to be on sick leave and also in case of the next destruction of the ice road... will he [then] dear to act like a pig for the third time? :)

19. fucking bastard, that [L.]... could have gone home with my baby soon... anyways his company cannot guarantee a normal ferry service and the prices are such that... real creep... a question arises whose pockets and mouths he has filled up with money so that he’s acting like a pig from year to year

20. can’t make bread from shit; and paper and internet stand everything; and just for own fun (really the state and [L.] do not care about the people’s opinion)... just for fun, with no greed for money – I pee into the [L.’s] ear and then I also shit onto his head. :)

15. On the same day the offensive comments were removed by the applicant company.

16. On 23 March 2006 the applicant company responded to the request from L.’s lawyers. It informed L. that the comments had been removed under the notice-and-take-down obligation, and refused the claim for damages.

(Emphasis by me)

So, to reiterate: The company running the comment section deleted the comments as soon as it was notified about them but refused to pay the fine.

This got through Estonian courts, and lastly, the company lost. They appealed to the European Court of Human Rights, stating their right to freedom of speech would be impeded. The appeal was dismissed, but can be appealed again.

Your thoughts? I always thought that if you delete comments when you are notified about them, this should be enough. No fines, no nothing. That would be reasonable, as the only other option would be to manually review each and every comment, which can get a bit tedious.

Or, a bit more populist:

Fake News: City responsible for insult uttered on street, court finds.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yahoo is now worth negative dollars.

Google, thanks to Youtube, is now bankrupt.

iammeiam

...huh. That's weird.

I'd try to have more of an opinion but I'm fascinated by the idea of public roads to islands in the ice. Driving over the sea!

Think about what you just said.

Because it may apply the very site you're posting in.

Ehhh, maybe. Depends if the European definition of standing/jurisdiction/venue is as messed up as their definition for reasonable care. By U.S. standards, a site like Neogaf wouldn't be subject to liability in Europe.

(totally not legal advice, not to be taken as such)

Quite aside from anything, it's a bit pathetic that a website even has to be afraid of content deemed to be "mockery" - who cares?

But this has pretty massive repercussions - is Twitter responsible for every tweet? Neogaf for every post? Besides, this is the internet - if this honestly is an issue of human rights, does that alter based on where the spinning hard disk in the server is located, geographically? This is the internet.

mandiller

I work for a big news website and whenever we open up a news story for comment we have to have a moderator on duty to approve comments before they are posted. As the publisher of the comments we're responsible if the comment is defamatory etc.

So if there's no moderator on duty, then no stories are opened for comment. Not sure how other sites operate though.

Reuenthal

Banned
Count me as unsurprised that the european court of human rights will go over repression of speech and freedom of speech. Considering that the troika which includes european institutions is making a mockery of the democratic acountability and goverments become more and more of passive institution disconnected from following the policy views of themselves or their constitutens in contrast to european institutions and the will of foreign goverments, and the general mockery of democracy in the european union the current trends for europe and european institutions are pretty damn negative.

Hopefully this institutional decline we are experiencing stops. It is terrifying to think where it leads to or how long it continues. Certainly it is unsustainable and intolerable with current levels of repression.

linsivvi

27. The Supreme Court approved the lower courts’ interpretation of the Information Society Services Act, and reiterated that an information society service provider, falling under that Act and the Directive on Electronic Commerce, had neither knowledge of nor control over information which was transmitted or stored. By contrast, a provider of content services governed the content of information that was being stored. In the present case, the applicant company had integrated the comment environment into its news portal and invited users to post comments. The number of comments had an effect on the number of visits to the portal and on the applicant company’s revenue from advertisements published on the portal. Thus, the applicant company had an economic interest in the comments. The fact that the applicant company did not write the comments itself did not imply that it had no control over the comment environment. It enacted the rules of comment and removed comments if the rules were breached. The users, on the contrary, could not change or delete the comments they had posted; they could merely report obscene comments. Thus, the applicant company could determine which comments were published and which not. The fact that it made no use of this possibility did not mean that it had no control over the publishing of the comments.

28. Furthermore, the Supreme Court considered that in the present case both the applicant company and the authors of the comments were to be considered publishers of the comments. In this context, it also referred to the economic interest of an internet portal’s administrator, which made it a publisher as entrepreneur, similarly to a publisher of printed media. The Supreme Court found that the plaintiff was free to choose against whom to bring the suit, and L. had chosen to bring the suit against the applicant company.

29. The Supreme Court found that on the basis of its legal obligation to avoid causing damage to other persons the applicant company should have prevented clearly unlawful comments from being published. Furthermore, after the comments had been published, it had failed to remove them on its own initiative, although it must have been aware of their unlawfulness. The courts had rightly found that the applicant company’s failure to act had been unlawful.

Sounds like a bunch of old farts who have no idea how the Internet works.

Enkidu

This is an unfortunate ruling in my opinion.

Sounds like a bunch of old farts who have no idea how the Internet works.
That is the Estonian Supreme Court, not the European Court of Human Rights.

By the way, this court is not related to the EU. It's a separate entity and covers any country that has signed the European Convention of Human Rights, which also includes countries such as Russia and Turkey.

Guevara

As well they should be. User comments are content like anything else websites host. You want comments on your website? Provide moderators.

Madness

As well they should be. User comments are content like anything else websites host. You want comments on your website? Provide moderators.

Who decides what can or cannot be said? People only think of certain scenarios which this is a good thing, such as to stop bullying or racism. But then you don't think about the other side, when it can be used to silence dissent, government criticism, calling out corporations.

I agree that comments need to be moderated and many are, but to hold the site liable for what they didn't write is wrong. Most sites would probably just shut comments or user contributions altogether, and many news articles in Europe actually write, we can't accept comments for legal reasons.

Guevara

Who decides what can or cannot be said? People only think of certain scenarios which this is a good thing, such as to stop bullying or racism. But then you don't think about the other side, when it can be used to silence dissent, government criticism, calling out corporations.

I agree that comments need to be moderated and many are, but to hold the site liable for what they didn't write is wrong. Most sites would probably just shut comments or user contributions altogether, and many news articles in Europe actually write, we can't accept comments for legal reasons.

That's a different question really, and much harder.

I'm just saying that all the text on a website (regardless of where it is from) should be judged to the same standard. If it's not ok as an ad or in editorial, it should not be ok in comments either.

kurbaan

Banned
So now lets say on a new article people are complaining about a company or person they can request the site take down all negative opinions and comments. Great.

mandiller

So now lets say on a new article people are complaining about a company or person they can request the site take down all negative opinions and comments. Great.

Sure the company could request comments be taken down, but the site doesn't have to do that unless the comments break the law, i.e they are defamatory. Negative comments are fine as long as they don't make allegations that would open up the site to be sued.

Arksy

Talking as an Aussie Lawyer, the ECHR is the worlds most ridiculous court. Hilarious when the judges come out and say that they make it up as they go along.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
so what happens if i write something nasty on a government owned website

10500-22068.jpg

Get on the wire. Tell them how to bring those sons of bitches down.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Well, I think that all of the members of the supervisory board of SLK are rascals.

Rafterman

Banned

As well they should be, my ass.

First off, comments on a web page shouldn't be criminalized at all. Second, holding a website responsible for every stupid thing someone, who is completely unaffiliated with said website, says is idiotic.

mandiller

As well they should be, my ass.

First off, comments on a web page shouldn't be criminalized at all. Second, holding a website responsible for every stupid thing someone, who is completely unaffiliated with said website, says is idiotic.

What? If someone were to defame you online and post vile lies about you which show up in a google search of your name for all of your potential employers, should you be allowed to sue them for what they said and get the comments taken down?

Why should comments made online be above the law?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What? If someone were to defame you online and post vile lies about you which show up in a google search of your name for all of your potential employers, should you be allowed to sue them for what they said and get the comments taken down?

Why should comments made online be above the law?
The comments were taken down. The issue here is that they made the held the site responsible anyway. Which is sort of like holding a building owner responsible for graffiti.

kurbaan

Banned
Sure the company could request comments be taken down, but the site doesn't have to do that unless the comments break the law, i.e they are defamatory. Negative comments are fine as long as they don't make allegations that would open up the site to be sued.

But thats very broad. Like for example something about bad practices by companies like Monsanto usually comments are very against the company. Or recently with the NSA crap and all the companies helping the government. Many of them are defaming the company I am sure those could be taken down.

mandiller

The comments were taken down. The issue here is that they made the held the site responsible anyway. Which is sort of like holding a building owner responsible for graffiti.

I was responding to the poster who said comments posted online shouldn't be criminalized at all.

In the court case it is very screwed up that the company did not get an opportunity to take down the comments before being asked to pay up.

mandiller

But thats very broad. Like for example something about bad practices by companies like Monsanto usually comments are very against the company. Or recently with the NSA crap and all the companies helping the government. Many of them are defaming the company I am sure those could be taken down.

In Australia you can't defame a company with more than 10 employees so that solves that problem here. You can defame individuals and small companies only.

*edit* apologies for the double post I'm on a mobile.

That's a different question really, and much harder.

I'm just saying that all the text on a website (regardless of where it is from) should be judged to the same standard. If it's not ok as an ad or in editorial, it should not be ok in comments either.

I disagree with the notion of something being either "ok" or "not ok" in the manner that you are suggesting and in fact find it rather absurd.

jorma

is now taking requests
I skimmed through the EHCR verdict and they claimed that the money awarded was 320 EUR and not 32.000 EUR. Quite a difference.

93. Lastly, the Court notes that the applicant company was obliged to pay the affected person the equivalent of EUR 320 in non-pecuniary damages. The Court is of the opinion that this sum, also taking into account that the applicant company was a professional operator of one of the largest Internet news portals in Estonia, can by no means be considered disproportionate to the breach established by the domestic courts.

syllogism

First thoughts: the topic isn't what the court held. It held that in the circumstances of the case the national courts finding the web site liable for user comments did not violate article 10. This does not mean that now under ECHR web sites will be liable for user comments. If you have a problem with the liability, you should direct your ire at the Estonian courts/laws. The margin of appreciation doctrine and all that.

Dougald

I long ago gave up reading the comments section on websites, especially YouTube as it just made me too depressed. The crazier voices shout louder. Exception would be slashdot thanks to their excellent moderation system

That said, I don't think non-affiliated websites should be held liable for user comments, especially if they comply with any takedown notices.

linsivvi

This is an unfortunate ruling in my opinion.

That is the Estonian Supreme Court, not the European Court of Human Rights.

By the way, this court is not related to the EU. It's a separate entity and covers any country that has signed the European Convention of Human Rights, which also includes countries such as Russia and Turkey.

You're right. It's the Estonian court that gave the ridiculous ruling in the first place. The ECHR did give them a favorable ruling though. While they are just ruling on violation of article 10, the language they used aren't very different from the Estonian court at all.

92. The Court is mindful, in this context, of the importance of the wishes of Internet users not to disclose their identity in exercising their freedom of expression. At the same time, the spread of the Internet and the possibility – or for some purposes the danger – that information once made public will remain public and circulate forever, calls for caution. The ease of disclosure of information on the Internet and the substantial amount of information there means that it is a difficult task to detect defamatory statements and remove them. This is so for an Internet news portal operator, as in the present case, but this is an even more onerous task for a potentially injured person, who would be less likely to possess resources for continual monitoring of the Internet. The Court considers the latter element an important factor in balancing the rights and interests at stake. It also refers, in this context, to the Krone Verlag (no. 4) judgment, where it found that shifting the defamed person’s risk to obtain redress for defamation proceedings to the media company, usually in a better financial position than the defamer, was not as such a disproportionate interference with the media company’s right to freedom of expression

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
In Australia you can't defame a company with more than 10 employees so that solves that problem here. You can defame individuals and small companies only.

*edit* apologies for the double post I'm on a mobile.
Try again... an individual was the one suing for the comments, not a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom