• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Parliament Considers Abolishing Daylight Saving Time

llien

Earlier this week, the European Parliament voted 384 to 153 to review whether Daylight Saving Time is actually worth it. Although the resolution it voted on was non-binding, the majority reflected a growing dissatisfaction with a system that has been used by the U.S., Canada, most of Europe, and regions in Asia, Africa, and South America for decades. The resolution asked the European Commission to review the costs and benefits of Daylight Saving Time. If the EU were to abolish Daylight Saving Time, it would need approval of the majority of EU member states and EU Parliament members.

"We think that there's no need to change the clocks," Ireland Member of European Parliament (MEP) Sean Kelly said to Deutsche Welle. "It came in during World War One, it was supposed to be for energy savings -- the indications are that there are very few energy savings, if any -- and there are an awful lot of disadvantages to both human beings and animals that make it outdated at this point."

Slashdot

Alx

I never had issues adapting to daylight saving time, but if its purpose is outdated, it seems logical to drop it. It seems logical that in this day and age, power consumption depends less on whether it's dark outside or not (lighting isn't the only purpose of electricity any more, and most building lights are on during the day anyway).

thelawof4

Chiefonthis

Neo Member
I'm totally ok with this. I wish the US would abolish it as well. Serves no real purpose anymore except sleep interruption and potential health implications

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
iP42wHz.gif

Batjag

Just abolish timezones entirely and sync the planet to a single time.

Time zones are necessary and they are tied to nature. Different parts of the earth enter and leave darkness at different times, which are reflected in time zones.
Daylight Savings Time, on the other hand, is completely artificial and unnecessary.

To sum up my feelings:

Time zones = good
Daylight Savings Time = bad

Please get rid of DST, it doesn't really help anyone and is more of an annoyance than anything else. Having a single time is the most sensible thing to do.

grumpy

I'm ok with with sticking with the same time throughout the year as long as it's summer time. I like my days longer :(

akuda

I gotta say it's crushing every winter when it switches over and I have to leave work in the dark. At least if it was gradual it wouldn't feel like someone took the sun from me.

fillup

I like DST. I hate standard time (what we are on now). It gets dark too early under standard time. We get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings under DST.

I say get rid of standard time and stay on DST year around.

Droxcy

Really wish they'd get rid of this garbage. It's really obnoxious when I'm working from home, having natural daylight is crucial for me while working on my graphic design & video editing work. I Love to keep my blinds open and let the light in, but the time 5 PM rolls around and the sun vanishes makes me think it's later in the day. Might be bias since I'm from Southern California and can't live without sunshine.

fillup

Really wish they'd get rid of this garbage. It's really obnoxious when I'm working from home, having natural daylight is crucial for me while working on my graphic design & video editing work. I Love to keep my blinds open and let the light in, but the time 5 PM rolls around and the sun vanishes makes me think it's later in the day. Might be bias since I'm from Southern California and can't live without sunshine.

That's standard time you're talking about. When we are on DST, it doesn't get dark until later. Why would you want to get rid of DST? If we did that, we would be stuck on standard time where it gets dark early year around. Screw that. I like having an extra hour of daylight after getting off work. Give me DST year around.

woopWOOP

Just do it
The extra hour of sleep once a year is kinda nice, but that one time you get one less kinda sucks so what's the point

If it's just EU then I'd have to look up what timezones other regions are at in different months to do the math right, but I do that anyway because I always screw up during that small gap period between the different US and EU DST dates.

Grimmrobe

It makes it just that little bit more complicated when you try to organise games with friends on other continents, so I say abolish it.

But if they use winter time wouldn't it result in some super early sunshines in summer and also it would be getting dark 1 hour earlier in those months ? So we would be losing outdoor activity time unless some is willing to do jogging at 4 am :)

AntoneM

Arizona is already on that level. Haven't had to fuck up my sleep schedule twice a year (or change my clocks) since I moved here in 2003.

Droxcy

That's standard time you're talking about. When we are on DST, it doesn't get dark until later. Why would you want to get rid of DST? If we did that, we would be stuck on standard time where it gets dark early year around. Screw that. I like having an extra hour of daylight after getting off work. Give me DST year around.

My bad, I was just ranting on the fact that I want the hour like you do.

Tevious

As someone who grew up in the US with Daylight Saving Time and since moved to a country that doesn't observe it, it's a relief not dealing with that bullshit anymore. It should just be up to businesses to adjust work hours if people want to get home while there is still daylight.

Fbh

I'm for this. It brings nothing and is simply annoying.

Hopefully they stick with it though. My country is terrible at this, they didn't do it one year and then some people complained and then they did it again but at a different date than usual and it was just a big pain in the ass. For a while electronic devices had no idea what time it was

Haemi

I think the (almost) perfect solution would be to adjust the clock in small steps every day. Something like "Sunrise is always at 7:00am". Non radio clocks would be a problem.

If you want it to be DST all the time to get a "longer" day, get up earlier. Noon is noon for a reason, it's the midpoint of the daylight hours. At most latitudes, the desire for it to be light out at 9p is ridiculous.

Swizzle

Gold Member
It's a construct. It's not like you would suddenly be unable to know that it's midday if it's called 0300 instead 1200.

It is easier to know that, once you know the remot place time zone, that at 3 A.M. they will be sleeping instead of keeping a table where you do the inverse kind of mapping to answer the same question (you know it is 3 A.M. everywhere, but you do not know what it means for people there). Time zones make it a lot simpler, but they do have edge cases.

Lucumo

It makes it just that little bit more complicated when you try to organise games with friends on other continents, so I say abolish it.
It has its use but yeah, for internet-related stuff they should definitely use something like .beats.

Top Bottom