• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European retailers praise PS3 supply chain, Demand is getting 'crazy'

SoVos20

Banned
Jokeropia said:
I personally can't see the European market being much more receptive to the PS3 than the Japanese and US markets.

have you been reading the latest news. PS3 is the biggest thing in europe now. People are flocking to the stores to reserve PS3s at a faster rate than for Xbox360 and Wii combined. It is even bigger than tickle me elmo was in the U.S when it first came out.

bud

DCharlie said:
... huh? So - 1 year late - they've managed to get good supply to europe (helped by a lack of hard demand in other territories) and it's an absolute coup in terms of supply?? wow.

SONY WHY HAVE YOU SHIPPED SO MANY SYSTEMS!!!!!?????

WHYYYYYYYYYYY

Xzbeat

Jokeropia said:
I personally can't see the European market being much more receptive to the PS3 than the Japanese and US markets.
Well, the PS2 launched with a 450€ pricepoint here and was the best selling console ever.
I think that's the reason why SCE was so confident about selling the 5 first million even if they had no games.
It'll be a little bit more difficult this time. The PS3 won't sell as easily as the PS2 did but it'll certainly do better than in the US.

RubberJohnny said:
More like:

Store has lots of ads and banners and signs outside saying they can guarantee a machine on launch day four days before launch = Retailers desperately trying to get rid of PS3s.

NO ALTERNATIVE. No Retailer has yet stopped taking preorders.

I think its also worth noting that many online stores have discounted the price margins are wafer thin its about the most they could) and stores like HMV are touting their 10% student discount with huge signs outside. That's also in conjunction with many sites offering value added bundles with free HDMI cables and Bluray discs, heck some places are even giving £100 off a TV or the chance to win one of said TVs for free.by £10, not a huge discount but considering hardware

I've never seen these sorts of tactics to entice customers to preorder a console. Ever.

On the topic of commercials, I've started to see the Motorstorm commercial a couple of times now.

SoVos20

Banned
brain_stew said:
I think its also worth noting that many online stores have discounted the price margins are wafer thin its about the most they could) and stores like HMV are touting their 10% student discount with huge signs outside. That's also in conjunction with many sites offering value added bundles with free HDMI cables and Bluray discs, heck some places are even giving £100 off a TV or the chance to win one of said TVs for free.by £10, not a huge discount but considering hardware

I've never seen these sorts of tactics to entice customers to preorder a console. Ever.

This tactics are because they are so excited at how high demand has been. It is a celebration tactic.

Xzbeat

SoVos20 said:
have you been reading the latest news. PS3 is the biggest thing in europe now. People are flocking to the stores to reserve PS3s at a faster rate than for Xbox360 and Wii combined. It is even bigger than tickle me elmo was in the U.S when it first came out.
:lol :lol :lol

I was in an HMV in dublin today: its not a big one, its in the Swords Pavilion. Anyway, while I was there in the space of 5 minutes they had taken 2 preorders.... Anecdotal evidence, but maybe those preorders are starting to pick up.

glimmerman said:
I was in an HMV in dublin today: its not a big one, its in the Swords Pavilion. Anyway, while I was there in the space of 5 minutes they had taken 2 preorders.... Anecdotal evidence, but maybe those preorders are starting to pick up.

Did you...stand at the counter and listen?

Wink

wtf is wrong with the people on the continent I live on...
Where do they have these crazy amounts of money from and why is there such a brand loyalty to Sony...

SoVos20 said:
This tactics are because they are so excited at how high demand has been. It is a celebration tactic.

No a "celebration" tactic for a retailer would be the chance to force customers into overpriced bundles. Not giving away free stuff.

I don't doubt the PS3 is going to have the highest selling home console launch in Europe but that is just as much a product of supply as it is demand.

TheGreatDave said:
Did you...stand at the counter and listen?

I was asking the guy how preorders were going. He was saying they had picked up quite a lot in the last few days. While I was talking to him, people came up to preorder.

Wink said:
wtf is wrong with the people on the continent I live on...
Where do they have these crazy amounts of money from and why is there such a brand loyalty to Sony...

Europe has too much money. Well i can vouch for UK at least. Trust me they have too much money. But small things cost too much, it makes expensive things appear less.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
CurlySaysX said:
lol..
Do people in here seriously go from store to store asking whether or not the PS3 is selling or not, and then log onto GAF and lie about it? :lol
Kinda Sad.
Although i'm not in Europe, the store where i pre ordered my ps3 was pretty much sold out and they still had ads and crap everywhere.
I think I believe this article more than some bitter fanboys wanting to see Sony fail.

when it gets like this, its best just to stay out of some of these threads. The sony hate bandwagon is strong at the moment. Add in anecodotal evidence, and clearly news reports are just fake.

Whatever. In 10 days time Sony will release a press release that will ensure another 15 page thread about how its all lies.

I still think they'll ship a million into Europe for the first week of launch. if the UK is really getting 220k units then a million for the whole of Europe isn't that unlikely.

and I still think they'll easily outpace the Wii for the record of largest launch.

And I still think someone will find a way to bitch about it on here.

Jokeropia

SoVos20 said:
Haha, I live in Europe and I don't notice anything about this. It just seems like a typical console launch to me. (Even the US launch was very hyped, in case you forgot.)
SoVos20 said:
:lol

Sandman7

brain_stew said:
HMV are touting their 10% student discount with huge signs outside.

Does this mean that HMV's 10% student discount applies to hardware? A PS3 at £385-odd pounds looks very tempting...

SoVos20 said:

Joke poster confirmed.

If demand was as high as you say it is, retailers would not be offering incentives.

Why would you, when it's gonna sell anyway? Right? If it's gonna sell anyway, you'd make more money without the incentives.

Unless.... demand isn't as high as you're saying.

jaypah

mrklaw said:
when it gets like this, its best just to stay out of some of these threads. The sony hate bandwagon is strong at the moment. Add in anecodotal evidence, and clearly news reports are just fake.

Whatever. In 10 days time Sony will release a press release that will ensure another 15 page thread about how its all lies.

I still think they'll ship a million into Europe for the first week of launch. if the UK is really getting 220k units then a million for the whole of Europe isn't that unlikely.

and I still think they'll easily outpace the Wii for the record of largest launch.

:lol :lol :lol "The sony hate bandwagon" is strong? and the "Sony love bandwagon of delusional fanboys" is weak and brittle right? whatever captain, each side wants to believe what they want....2-way street and all that jazz. they're all here in this thread, if you call one out then you have to call out the other too.....unless you belong to either camp. then i guess you'd only see the 'XBOTZ' or....whatever they call Sony fanboys.

as i've said before....go play some GAMES folks!

jaypah

Ynos Yrros said:
That's the name I was looking for actually. I don't live in Germany, and I use the name RTL when I refer to many different channels, sorry.
I also seen some billboards in Berlin, and there were commercials before the movie in CineStar.

Sony does a lot of things right and one of them is marketing. it would be foolish to think that they aren't plastering PS3 on shit at this point, what with a huge launch about to happen there. i'm in the US and i just saw the Motorstorm commercial a few days ago. if i wasn't already in the market for a PS3 i'd probably want one from that commercial alone. the "white room" PS3 campaign is pretty f*cking awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dcharlie said:
... huh? So - 1 year late - they've managed to get good supply to europe (helped by a lack of hard demand in other territories) and it's an absolute coup in terms of supply?? wow.

I think that quote was from an indie. If you've been keeping up with your MCVs over the last two launches (or any launches come to that), then indies are always the first to get screwed with no supply when there are shortages.

So its not surprising to find an indie retailer that is happy towards Sony for actually shipping them some units.

jaypah

Shiggy said:
No, just no, otherwise the console would sell much better.

sarcasm or.....? i think we all know what their main trouble is right now and it damn sure ain't marketing. people know about it and want it but there's....'something' keeping them from buying one. we all see the damn elephant so i'm not going to spell it out! :lol

Shiggy

jaypah said:
sarcasm or.....? i think we all know what their main trouble is right now and it damn sure ain't marketing. people know about it and want it but there's....'something' keeping them from buying one. we all see the damn elephant so i'm not going to spell it out! :lol

Doesn't the price belong to the marketing? And there's not really hype in German media, what was totally different with the Wii.

@davepoobond
Do you want to be funny?

morph

Banned
mrklaw said:

Yup.

European retailers praising Sony = LIES

Sony meeting shipping targets = BAD

Stores trying to actually sell a product = DESPERATE

360 fans' anecdotal evidence = TRUTH

Donnie

Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's not true. If it were really from the UK, there would be at least five words with u's in them that don't have u's.

Allouws you to surf the web

The real words you're no doubt referring to do in fact have U's in them.. yes really its actually true! :) Now please, as a nation, stop copying things from people changing them slightly and then claiming them to be "the real version". American Football, Baseball, the English language, the list goes on with you people :lol

Oh and I don't think PS3 is selling that well, actual stock will no doubt be lower then claimed (just like with Wii and 360) and the system is still guaranteed for launch everywhere I've been...

mrklaw said:
I think that quote was from an indie. If you've been keeping up with your MCVs over the last two launches (or any launches come to that), then indies are always the first to get screwed with no supply when there are shortages.

So its not surprising to find an indie retailer that is happy towards Sony for actually shipping them some units.

I think Sony will be more successful in EU than anywhere else but the price will probably still be an inhibiting factor after the launch phase. The market is hard to predict right now since the same types of news reports came out before the US and JPN launches. I remember that almost no one expected the Wii to sell 6 million units by March and it looks on target to exceed that.

Sandman7 said:
Does this mean that HMV's 10% student discount applies to hardware? A PS3 at £385-odd pounds looks very tempting...

Its specifically mentioned on the PS3 posters I've seen, so yes it must, it was either HMV or Virgine Megastores, they're both close in my town so I may have them confused. Either way, the very same poster has been photographed on ukresistance so it does exist. I have to say it makes the PS3 a little more tempting to me as well but its still out of my price range as a student.

Still, for any UK poster looking for a PS3 its definitely the way to go, even if you're not a student, just get someone who is to go along with you, its a pretty nice saving epecially if they offer some nice bundles on launch day.

Flek

Banned
Shiggy said:
Doesn't the price belong to the marketing? And there's not really hype in German media, what was totally different with the Wii.

not`? Imo theres something going on - remeber its 1 week BEFORE launch. Already Dayli News Papers are reporting about PS3, a big german computer Magazin has released a 146 pages Special Issue about the PS3, half of Berlin is covered in sony style store adviertises fore preodering etc. etc.

cheers

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Shiggy said:
@davepoobond
Do you want to be funny?

i dunno, what does "be funny" entail?

surely it does not mean that people would think i AM funny right? because that would mean people actually laugh at me.

jaypah

Shiggy said:

@davepoobond
Do you want to be funny?

sorry, i meant the part of marketing that we were all talking about, "commercials and billboards" and such. but you're right, if we factor in price with the rest of marketing then yeah, Sony sux or whatever. :)

Diablos54: ok yeah, they've had a few stinkers but nobody's perfect 100%. fact is they've out marketed their competition for years. they're pretty good at it is all i'm saying. not that they're superheroes of marketing who can do no wrong.

morph: :lol you're hilarious. the truth (as always on GAF) is somewhere in between your delusions and the Xbox fanboy delusions. but your comedic value is through the damn roof!!!

Shiggy

Flek said:
not`? Imo theres something going on - remeber its 1 week BEFORE launch. Already Dayli News Papers are reporting about PS3, a big german computer Magazin has released a 146 pages Special Issue about the PS3, half of Berlin is covered in sony style store adviertises fore preodering etc. etc.

cheers

Well, I'm not in Berlin, but I see nothing over here in Bremen.

I'll give it up, people will see in the coming weeks...the launch won't be too different than those in Japan / NA...

jaypah said:
Sony does a lot of things right and one of them is marketing.

Price is one of the very most important parts of the marketing mix, and that point alone is killing their console at the moment, so no I don't agree. In the past Sony's marketing has been spot on, but at the moment they've totally dropped the ball on one aspect and they're also relying on a USP (Bluray) that has very limited appeal, so I'm seeing a lot of holes in their marketing for the PS3. It is a turn of events though, they absolutely nailed their marketing for both the PS1 and PS2 so it is even more surprising that they're faultering so much this time.

jaypah

brain_stew said:
Price is one of the very most important parts of the marketing mix, and that point alone is killing their console at the moment, so no I don't agree. In the past Sony's marketing has been spot on, but at the moment they've totally dropped the ball on one aspect and they're also relying on a USP (Bluray) that has very limited appeal, so I'm seeing a lot of holes in their marketing for the PS3. It is a turn of events though, they absolutely nailed their marketing for both the PS1 and PS2 so it is even more surprising that they're faultering so much this time.

cool. see post #343

Sandman7 said:

I'm not usually a violent man, but if you're a student and you buy a PS3 then you deserve a beating.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rancid Mildew said:
I think Sony will be more successful in EU than anywhere else but the price will probably still be an inhibiting factor after the launch phase. The market is hard to predict right now since the same types of news reports came out before the US and JPN launches. I remember that almost no one expected the Wii to sell 6 million units by March and it looks on target to exceed that.

Calm post, no hyperbole, no anecdotal evidence = +1

Kosma

Banned
I work in a computer store in Europe, 6 days before launch we can still take pre-orders....because it's not sold out.

Anecdotal evidence +1.

Top Bottom