• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö, Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the one from the 3j´s, but that´s about it.

My favorites are Glennis Grace 2005 and Edsilia Rombley 2007. That said, I'm a bit of a sucker for pop ballads with female vocals.

I feel like the decade 2000-2010 was probably the best in the contest generally.

Whenever did they start with a jury anyway?
It's such a dumb thing.

That was introduced in like 2008 or so, after several years of the top 10 being constantly dominated with Eastern European entries.

FillerB

Dutch-GAF: I haven't been keeping up with the news but wasn't this the first time since 2008 that the TROS didn't have any input in the song/act?

F!ReW!Re

The weird thing is, I do like the birds song, but I liked the acoustic version without the background singers and shit.
This performance earlier tonight was kinda crap imo...

I'm very curious about the points spread. Looking forward to those tables on Saturday, I want to see how close the DQ'd entries were. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being really close as hell for some of them.

Acosta

I was happy to see Eurovision back as "the only damn thing that works in Europe".

I was wrong.

Someone nuke this sorry continent, we are finished.

I'm catching up with today's show.

The introductions are so much better than last year. Showing parts of the country the act came from instead of HEY DID YOU GUYS KNOW AZERBAIJAN HAS A CASTLE AND A RESTAURANT

Also is Denmark single?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Going to catch up tomorrow after my exam, but I've skimmed the thread and i'm most upset Montenegro haven't gone through
It's giving me Dj Fresh teas, and I like it

The intro videos are excellent.

I would watch a documentary following one or more of the contestants around, documenting their journey to Malmö.

KJ869

The first semi-final was pretty bland. I was realy hoping for russia and belgium to drop instead of montenegro. Too many ballads this year. 2 songs using dubstep parts was pretty unexpected for me.

Finlands song this year wont probaly make it to the finals but at least we arent the worst song this time around.

Antagon

It's a shame that the rapping in the Montegro song is so mediocre, as otherwise it's pretty fun. Definitely should've advanced though.

Peru

Not living in Europe at the moment is of course a tragedy - I can't chat Eurosong in real time. Watching a recording of the semifinal now.. the twee Danish girl's vocal delivery gets me raging. Flutist doesn't help. Crap!

LMAO Ukraine's friendly giant... gots to find those unused gimmicks. Still, I enjoyed this musical number.

Some chord progression for this Netherlands tune. Doesn't make me less surprised that they got to the final for once but I guess it sticks out.. in a way.

It's a shame that the rapping in the Montegro song is so mediocre, as otherwise it's pretty fun. Definitely should've advanced though.

Yeah! This is fun.

GCX

Finlands song this year wont probaly make it to the finals but at least we arent the worst song this time around.
I think it'll to got to the final since it stands out from the ballad heavy mass. After the first semi results anything is possible though.

Chuckie

The jury did i guess, you're probably one of the masses ;)
It does grow on you, after hearing it a few times you might start to appreciate it. At least i did.

It's not just the jury though, it is also the 'masses'. It wasn't a jury only top 10.

I am surprised though.... but maybe that was because I was reading Gaf and almost everybody disliked the song, while the song itself is no 1 in the Netherlands and the 'experts' predicted it to go through to the finals.

Like you I think the song grows on you, but I also think it is not suited for the festival at all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you people serious about Montenegro? That shit was so fucking bad, just completely awful. Or did you just want it to qualify for the spectacle, as a joke? Sure, Eurovision is mostly a joke anyway, but meh. The NL song was ten times better, slow as it may be.

Chuckie

Are you people serious about Montenegro? That shit was so fucking bad, just completely awful. Or did you just want it to qualify for the spectacle, as a joke? Sure, Eurovision is mostly a joke anyway, but meh. The NL song was ten times better, slow as it may be.

Yeah I think that is exactly why there is a discrepancy between what Gaf wants and what the judges/common public wants.

A lot of Gaffers want the show to be as cheesy, exciting, whacky, colourful as possible. Montenegro did fit that bill. However I think the judges listened to artistic (vocal) value and appearantly the voting audience too.

Kurtofan

Eurovision is about wacky songs and hilarious shows, not boring ballads with a single woman singing.

Montenegro had two cosmonauts and a borg woman rapping, nuff said.

Chuckie

Eurovision is about wacky songs and hilarious shows, not boring ballads with a single woman singing.

Montenegro had two cosmonauts and a borg woman rapping, nuff said.

But appearantly for many people (the ones that actually vote) it is not that. Or at least not only that.

However I think the judges listened to artistic (vocal) value and appearantly the voting audience too.

Then why did Lithuania get through? Dude had the voice equivalent of that washed out turtleneck sweater that you really don't want to wear ever but still keep around because it might have that chilly weather some time.

Fuck i missed the semis yesterday and i am going to miss half of the final on Saturday.

There's a second semi on Thursday.

Yeah I think that is exactly why there is a discrepancy between what Gaf wants and what the judges/common public wants.

A lot of Gaffers want the show to be as cheesy, exciting, whacky, colourful as possible. Montenegro did fit that bill. However I think the judges listened to artistic (vocal) value and appearantly the voting audience too.

Oh, it's possible the voting audience did like them, maybe even more than some of the other qualified contestants. With the judges having a 50% say on who gets through, it's possible they simply pushed Montenegro even if it was more popular than some of the other songs, because they for one reason or another didn't think dubstep was suitable for Eurovision.

Majmun

Why is Anouk going to the finals? She was just singing!!! Where were the crazy costumes, set pieces and dubstep music?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Montenegro was the only song everyone in my house liked when I put this on
Robbed they were

Quite liked Russia, Ireland and Belgium one, but how in the fuck did Lithuania get through?
Atrocious singing and even worse lyrics. Just awful.

Matt_

Bonnie Tyler's song for UK is worse song than Humperdinck's last year.

iMXl410jpJN1f.gif

Lies and slander.
Engelbert's song is quite possibly the worst song the Uk have ever sent.
And I'm including the campy shit from the mid 00's.

Chuckie

Oh, it's possible the voting audience did like them, maybe even more than some of the other qualified contestants. With the judges having a 50% say on who gets through, it's possible they simply pushed Montenegro even if it was more popular than some of the other songs, because they for one reason or another didn't think dubstep was suitable for Eurovision.

Could be true. But it also could be true that Eurovision-GAF's taste simply isn't the same as the voting audience. I mean Speed Racer is absolutely adored by a huge amount of people on Gaf like it's the best thing since sliced bread. IRL most people think it fucking sucked.

Matt_

obin_gam

Let's post the craziest, most blinged-up, spectacular, eurovision entries!

The saints are crippled
On this sinners' night
Lost are the lambs with no guiding light

The walls come down like thunder
The rock's about to roll
It's the arockalypse
Now bare your soul

All we need is lightning
With power and might
Striking down the prophets of false
As the moon is rising
Give us the sign