• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 to release Jan. 23 in Japan

Jasonadream

What’s odd is that this was supposed to be released on June 27 2020. With all the marketing with Honda and merchandise that crept out over the summer it’s odd to see that the films finally completely edited.

Hopefully this is the last release date we get.

Jon Neu

Banned

tenor.gif

Not gonna lie, I'm hyped as fucking fuck rite now.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

tenor.gif

I’m worried they have more to cover than they have movie. Hopefully I’m wrong! Regardless I’m really excited to watch it. Hoping it’s closer to 1.0/2.0 and less like 3.0. I didn’t feel like the characters got enough time in that one.

Naibel

Looks absolutely awesome (more Utada in the soundtrack, hell to the yeah :messenger_horns:) BUT HEY, you know what they say about trailers !
I do hope though this epic showdown will close the saga in the perfectest way possible instead of leaving everyone confused EoE-style.

Last edited:
The trailer gave me manga ending vibes.

And I'm okay with that.
It must be that shot of Asuka in winter clothes. The manga ended with a winter scene as well. I wonder if fourth/fifth/whatever impact happens and gets undone and Shinji ends up in some sort of alternate timeline/universe like in the manga. That would be underwhelming tbh.

The trailer is nice but what worries me is how the two Evas feel weightless while fighting despite being heavy giants. That’s something the TV series and End of Evangelion handled masterfully, whereas CGI mecha in general rarely feels like regular people moving and not giants that weigh tens if not hundreds of tons. To be fair I don’t remember how the Rebuild films handled that as it’s been a while since I last rewatched one of them.

But hey, unit 01 is back and that’s really cool.

Jon Neu

Banned
The trailer is nice but what worries me is how the two Evas feel weightless while fighting despite being heavy giants. That’s something the TV series and End of Evangelion handled masterfully, whereas CGI mecha in general rarely feels like regular people moving and not giants that weigh tens if not hundreds of tons. To be fair I don’t remember how the Rebuild films handled that as it’s been a while since I last rewatched one of them.
The animation it's going to be among the best if not the best in anime, I don't have any doubt about it.

From this trailer alone you can already see the amazing animation of Mari and Asuka in zero gravity, or the action scene of the EVA 02+08 against the Failures Of Infinity, or the "evil wunder" making it's entrance.

That particular shot of the EVA 01 vs EVA 13 seems to me it's more based on a quick far away style fight like some kung fu movies, it's not meant to show the weight of the EVA's like the EVA02 vs the Harpies fight in EoE, for example.

The first 10 minutes of the movie already show that amazing animation with movements, weight and impressive attention to detail.

I actually really like the feel the CGI parts give. They fit exceptionally well with the art style and give an even more eerie feeling.

Last edited:

Jasonadream

Hopefully they can patch up the messy continuity/time jump that 3.0 created with a 2 minute exposition that not only explains the past events but also further convolute what’s going on in the present in classic Anno fashion.

tenor.gif

So I'm guessing the name confirms 100% that the manga and show are canon to the movies? Hope that is the case - it works perfectly with the themes of Rebuild.

Looking forward to this. I'm in the camp that 3.0 was very underrated and basically "TLJ done right", so hopefully this keeps on with that quality.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I would when they release a physical/digital collection of all the titles. It has been so long waiting for this series to conclude. I'll put it next to my platinum dvd set.
They are releasing a blu-ray collection with the original series, Death+Rebirth, and End of Evangelion next year. I suspect they'll do something similar for the rebuild films once the fourth is released on blu-ray. As of right now the first one is out of print.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Last edited:

nkarafo

The animation it's going to be among the best if not the best in anime, I don't have any doubt about it.

From this trailer alone you can already see the amazing animation of Mari and Asuka in zero gravity, or the action scene of the EVA 02+08 against the Failures Of Infinity, or the "evil wunder" making it's entrance.

That particular shot of the EVA 01 vs EVA 13 seems to me it's more based on a quick far away style fight like some kung fu movies, it's not meant to show the weight of the EVA's like the EVA02 vs the Harpies fight in EoE, for example.

The first 10 minutes of the movie already show that amazing animation with movements, weight and impressive attention to detail.

I actually really like the feel the CGI parts give. They fit exceptionally well with the art style and give an even more eerie feeling.

It looks amazing. Evengelion was always one step ahead in direction and camera movement. Even today that i literally hate anime i can still tolerate a new Evangelion.

I don't particularly like the CGI parts but i suppose they don't stand out as much as in other shows.

But the camera angles and some of the hand drawn parts are awe inspiring. I just wish the frame rate was a bit higher because it feels like a literal slide show in parts. This is no "24 frames/sec" Akira, sure, but it could use a few more in-betweens. Then again, the key frames are extremely detailed and do a good job transferring the power of these huge entities causing havok so it's still great to look at.

pel1300

Anno jumped the shark for me with 3.0. It was basically The Last Jedi of anime for me.

I loved Rebuild 2.0/2.22. It was really refreshing.

Reactions: Fbh
I read the spoilers on Reddit and the story looks solid. Lots of interesting concepts. I just hope there's enough action scenes, hopefully on par with the Eva 02 vs MP Evas in EoE.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Glad I never had intentions on waiting 8 years for it.

Japan gets MCU films day one but we gotta wait six months for this? Clearly bias.

Naibel

If what I heard about the plot is true then it looks like a very satisfying conclusion, a lot better than I expected. Finally a finale that doesn't shit the bed, it's been a while ! Most shippers are assmad but who cares, the movie tells them to basically grow up and move on. I mean it's been 25 years already, you can see Anno is kinda tired of all that, and I do appreciate his movie gives some nice closure to the whole thing. I'm now excited to check this movie out once it finally reaches the interwebs.

I do expect spin-off stuff in the near future though, gotta milk that Eva cow dry till the end !

Last edited:
Top Bottom