• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evangelion 3.0 SPOILER Thread | You Can (Not) Comprehend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonkid

Why do people feel this is a bad movie? Because it was different? Just curious because I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed it too but I can understand why people dislike it. It's a lot to take in and let's be honest, it's ridiculous to expect the audience to understand all the plot-points on the first viewing. Sure "you're meant to feel like Shinji" or whatever but that doesn't 'work' for everyone. To be frank, my favourite part of this film is its soundtrack. Even if some of the songs, such as "God's Message," were taken from Sagisu's older, lesser-known works, it's still a great OST. Grandiose songs like "Scarred and Battled" and "Betrayal," are contrasted with quiet, introspective piano pieces such as "L'Apotre De la Lune" and "Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bete." Not to mention the motif which he hit gold with.

I'm gonna try and keep and open mind for 3.0+1.0's soundtrack but I don't see how he can top 3.0.

Zoe

So...what if Eva (as some assume) is the same story repeating itself again and again, and the whole new movie-series is actually a prequel to the TV-series?
Sequel is more likely since there are consequences from the first series in the movies.

CassSept

Why do people feel this is a bad movie? Because it was different? Just curious because I enjoyed it.

Being different is one thing, but this film tried too much. Honestly, I felt it is fundamentally flawed as movie. Here's my angry first impression rant if you'd be interested in my thought for some reason

But basically, the three-act structure of the movie is really bad and disjointed, the pace is off, dialogues are bad, a lot of times when it tries to be deep it's more in '2deep4me' territory, it's very often vague for no discernible reason, old characters make no sense and new are bland anime tropes, the movie basically has no plot to speak of whatsoever and it doesn't progress the story whatsoever. Fillers in anime are ok, but not when it's a movie series.

So...what if Eva (as some assume) is the same story repeating itself again and again, and the whole new movie-series is actually a prequel to the TV-series?

It doesn't have to connect with TV canon. I personally don't think it will.

Too little concern for the status quo and some less than optimal scenes. I personally enjoyed it very much, especially the soundtack, which was criminally underepresented in the movie.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It being different from the show is not a problem, at all. But 3.0 has a lot of instances of characters withholding information for no reason than to make a plot happen, it has lukewarm pacing and it has some bad asspulls, and understanding what's going on doesn't make them better (the movie isn't confusing as much as it's not very well written).

However, I have really warmed up to it as time passed. I like the animation a lot (even the CG), I like what they tried to do and the whole swerve plus destroying expectations, I really dig the whole vibe and most of the scenes individually, and I love the soundtrack. I'm actually hyped for 4.0, I don't expect it to be a concise experience but I'm totally in for the spectacle.

On another note, I've been reading 2.0's Complete Records Collection and it's pretty interesting. Really want to read one for 3.0 as I'm sure it will make me appreciate the movie even more. I can only wonder about the amount of drafts it had.

Blader

Speaking of Evageeks, someone there found an old animator's sketch of Asuka and Mari hanging out together on top of the Wunder (which is named in the drawing)...dated from 2010! That's pretty surprising since I think a lot of people -- myself included -- assumed that the 14 years later direction was decided on much later, but it sounds like they planned for it all along (or at least since 2.0 ended).

It being different from the show is not a problem, at all. But 3.0 has a lot of instances of characters withholding information for no reason than to make a plot happen, it has lukewarm pacing and it has some bad asspulls, and understanding what's going on doesn't make them better (the movie isn't confusing as much as it's not very well written).

Not sure if lukewarm pacing is supposed to mean too fast or too slow, but I think the movie moved way too quickly. 2.0 was paced very well, going through a lot without ever really feeling crammed, but 3.0 feels like it ends just as it's really about to start.

Fuu

Not sure if lukewarm pacing is supposed to mean too fast or too slow, but I think the movie moved way too quickly. 2.0 was paced very well, going through a lot without ever really feeling crammed, but 3.0 feels like it ends just as it's really about to start.
Yeah actually lukewarm isn't the proper word here, the pacing is just bad imo. The action isn't spread out so stuff happens at the start, there's a big downtime+exposition in the middle and then a bunch of things happen at the end again and it's over. It looks like a lot happened but it's like you said, when all is said and done it feels like it's just getting started. It's more like a bridge movie between 2.0 and 4.0 and that's not ideal considering how well the previous two stand on their own.

It is ridiculously pretty though. Watching it right now and it's kinda nutty how frequently the classic Anno visuals are traded for really strong imagery.

Fuu

It is ridiculously pretty though. Watching it right now and it's kinda nutty how frequently the classic Anno visuals are traded for really strong imagery.
It really is. I'm looking forward to 4.0 having a lot of rad and memorable crazy scenery with how 3.0 ended. Lots of visual potential there.

And purple.

And i meant prettier in a more cinematographic sense, it's still conservative and simple but some moments really do take glorious advantage of the wider format.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
And purple.

And i meant prettier in a more cinematographic sense, it's still conservative and simple but some moments really do take glorious advantage of the wider format.
Wasn't it cropped though? I thought it was framed in 16:9, but then at the end they just decided to reformat it.

Jinroh

Yeah it's cropped. There's no continuity in the format of these movies and I really hate it. It brakes the uniformity and it was perfect in 16:9.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the technical designs are amazingly detailed, but cinematographically it's a big step down from The End of Evangelion. Hard to compare it to 2.0, which feels like a big budget TV episode. At least they tried for a grander scale presentation here.

The action direction is appalling. Very Michael Bay, with lots of motion and fast cuts, but no sense of onscreen geography. If it was cropped, it's a very poor decision, because the action doesn't breathe with such cramped compositions.

Wasn't it cropped though? I thought it was framed in 16:9, but then at the end they just decided to reformat it.

I don't know if it was cropped or not, and doubt it was since it uses so many wide fovs. The wider format (2:35? not sure) def better than 16:9 though. 16:9 sucks.

Uzzy

So, after finally seeing this film, I have a rather fundamental question about the whole thing. Wasn't Third Impact stopped at the end of Eva 2.22?

B.K.

So, after finally seeing this film, I have a rather fundamental question about the whole thing. Wasn't Third Impact stopped at the end of Eva 2.22?

Yes. Kaworu stopped it with his Lance of Cassius, but it wasn't stopped soon enough.

Uzzy

Yes. Kaworu stopped it with his Lance of Cassius, but it wasn't stopped soon enough.

Huh. The impression I got from the last film was that Third Impact was stopped fairly quickly. I guess I should watch 2.22 again!

B.K.

Huh. The impression I got from the last film was that Third Impact was stopped fairly quickly. I guess I should watch 2.22 again!

The way it's presented, it looks like it's stopped pretty quickly, but it must have went on for a bit. As we see when Kaworu takes Shinji outside into the Tokyo-III ruins, it lasted long enough for the artificial evolution of the people in the city to begin.

Guess Who

Banned

The way it's presented, it looks like it's stopped pretty quickly, but it must have went on for a bit. As we see when Kaworu takes Shinji outside into the Tokyo-III ruins, it lasted long enough for the artificial evolution of the people in the city to begin.

I'm pretty sure this is Anno changing his mind on things between 2.0 and 3.0.

Uzzy

Yeah, clearly something happened to cause the mass extinction of humanity! But given that it really looked as if the Third Impact at the end of Eva 2.22 had been stopped, I did wonder if something happened off screen, during those 14 years. But if that was the case, why would everyone be blaming Shinji?

I guess the easiest explanation is that Third Impact went on for long enough to cause all the damage. Even if that doesn't really match up with what we saw in the last film.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The problem with that is no one ever talks about a separate event, and attribute everything that's happened to Shinji's actions at the end of 2.0.
If we're being frank, they don't talk about anything. Only Kowaru mentions something about it.

Shinji started it, but it's not as if they're rational enough to realize that this was going to happen regardless because it had already been foretold in the Scrolls.

I personally think that something did happen following the end of 2.0, as seen in the previews. However, we just never got a chance to look at it because of Anno and his awful, evil ways.

hirokazu

Speaking of Evageeks, someone there found an old animator's sketch of Asuka and Mari hanging out together on top of the Wunder (which is named in the drawing)...dated from 2010! That's pretty surprising since I think a lot of people -- myself included -- assumed that the 14 years later direction was decided on much later, but it sounds like they planned for it all along (or at least since 2.0 ended).
Pics or link, bro! These are important things I need to see!

Just saw this. I have to say, I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would have. I really like the direction they have taken this new series. My only complaint is that it didn't really feel "whole", as in it needed more content before I would be satisfied of calling it a full episode to the film series. Also I couldn't really understand what was going on during the fights. The CG looked pretty shitty most of the time too, but it does shine in some areas.

That said I have some questions:
  • What is "Lillin"?
  • What was the grand plan of Nerv exactly? Destroying the world to save it or something?
  • Why were the two spears on item different than before?
  • I thought there were a finite amount of angels? I mean its been 14 years and they are still fighting them on a regular basis it seems?

I realize a lot of these things are important plot points, but the film doesn't really explain much in a clean and clear fashion.

PolishQ

Just saw this. I have to say, I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would have. I really like the direction they have taken this new series. My only complaint is that it didn't really feel "whole", as in it needed more content before I would be satisfied of calling it a full episode to the film series. Also I couldn't really understand what was going on during the fights. The CG looked pretty shitty most of the time too, but it does shine in some areas.

That said I have some questions:
  • What is "Lillin"?
  • What was the grand plan of Nerv exactly? Destroying the world to save it or something?
  • Why were the two spears on item different than before?
  • I thought there were limits on the angels? I mean its been 14 years and they are still fighting them on a regular basis it seems?

I realize a lot of these things are important plot points, but the film doesn't really explain much in a clean and clear fashion.

Lilin are humans; in the world of Evangelion, Lilith is the progenitor of the human race. I take it you haven't watched the original TV series?

PolishQ

I have but its been about ten years.

To answer your other questions:

I forget how it plays out, but NERV's initial purpose, as far as they know, is to prevent the apocalypse by destroying angels. They are also being manipulated by SEELE, who seek to ascend humanity to godhood through something called Instrumentality. The first step in that plan is to destroy all of the angels, and then humanity gets to become one with Lilith and live eternally as a giant liquid hive mind (basically what we saw in End of Evangelion before Shinji put a stop to it).

In Evangelion 3.33, things are a bit different, but there's still the basic conflict between the people that want to trigger the apocalypse and the people fighting against it, with Shinji caught in the middle and being manipulated by both sides.

And yes, there are a limited number of angels. In 3.33, there haven't been any angel attacks since the big apocalyptic event. We actually only see one true angel in the film, which awakens when Shinji removes the spear (well, two if we count Kaworu). The other angel-ish things are artificial angels created by NERV.

So, yeah, it's kind of complicated.

So if Rei was suppose to be stuck in Eva-01's core and Eva-01 was turned into the ship Wunder, why is Rei controlling the core thingy (whatever that is) for Nerv?

Also, obvious:
tumblr_mlztdwLD1R1s78ayuo1_500.jpg

I thought pilots just merely feel what their EVAs are feeling and can't sustain actual injuries?

PolishQ

So if Rei was suppose to be stuck in Eva-01's core and Eva-01 was turned into the ship Wunder, why is Rei controlling the core thingy (whatever that is) for Nerv?

Been a while since I watched 3.33, but IIRC they're two different Reis. Each time she dies, they bring a new Rei clone to life.

Zoe

I thought pilots just merely feel what their EVAs are feeling and can't sustain actual injuries?

Did you watch EoE?

Did you watch EoE?
Yes, but it has been ten years.

Been a while since I watched 3.33, but IIRC they're two different Reis. Each time she dies, they bring a new Rei clone to life.
I mean the goddess looking (literally) Rei that is protecting or apart of Eva 01's core. The problem isn't two Reis but two Eva 01 cores. One in Wunder and one that Goddess Rei is protecting.

Yeah I remember now. Didn't Asuka's Eva's intestines get RIPPED OUT in EoE and Asuka was still alive, meaning that she couldn't have been able to receive injuries from her Eva? What gives?

Zoe

Yeah I remember now. Didn't Asuka's Eva's intestines get RIPPED OUT in EoE and Asuka was still alive, meaning that she couldn't have been able to receive injuries from her Eva? What gives?

Her body gets torn apart just like her Eva in the final part of her battle. We explicitly see her arm getting split in half.

Mendrox

Her body gets torn apart just like her Eva in the final part of her battle. We explicitly see her arm getting split in half.

What? It gets split? I've watched EoE maybe 5-6 times, but I only remember her arm flipping backwards and being broken? Or do you mean that split?

Fuu

The arm being split in half is shown from her point of view, isn't it? I always thought that scene wasn't supposed to be taken literally and it was more to show the viewers how she perceives the pain in a visceral way.

edit:

J2N3TvH.jpg

There isn't even actual flesh in her arms in that shot. I never saw it as her arm literally getting torn apart and more of a "look at how the pilot feels this shit 100%".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom