• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE : Goonswarm Dead and Disbanded

Apparently by a Rogue CEO.

In the early hours of Wednesday 3rd February 2010, GoonSwarm CEO "karttoon" kicked almost every corp from the alliance, effectively disbanding it.

More:

http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3683&tid=7

In the early hours of this morning, 03.02.112, GoonSwarm alliance disbanded.

All but two corporations from the GoonSwarm alliance are currently flying under no alliance ticker. The Goony Hand Social Club banking corporation remains in the shell of the alliance after trouble accessing it in the absence of GoonFleet CEO Karttoon led to the loss of sovereignty over key GoonFleet systems in Delve.

Massively interview with ex-CEO who is now trying to get Goonswarm back up under GoonsWaffe

http://www.massively.com/2010/02/04...nded-in-eve-online-political-drama/#continued

Lock if old.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
cartoon_soldier said:
Apparently by a Rogue CEO.

More:

http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3683&tid=7

Massively interview with ex-CEO who is now trying to get Goonswarm back up under GoonsWaffe

http://www.massively.com/2010/02/04...nded-in-eve-online-political-drama/#continued

Lock if old.

not quite dead, just reformed.....

SOLODRAKBANSOLODRAKBANSO[LODRA]

j_k_redtail said:
Only in EVE. My impression has been that this game is more interesting to read about than to play.

Its more fun if you join a corp

Kade

dogmaan said:
how come buddy?

GoonSwarm was responsible for the biggest player driven event in any game and are known as being all around douchebags and trolls. If GoonsWaffe can retain the GoonSwarm attitude, then I am happy again.

JesseZao

j_k_redtail said:
Only in EVE. My impression has been that this game is more interesting to read about than to play.

Yeah, pretty much. I tried the game out for a couple of months, and it was neat at first, but soon you see how much boring stuff you have to put up with to progress into the high tier ships. I can't believe that people will "mine" for hours upon hours while having the danger of being blown away by pirates at any time causing you to lose your goods.

I love watching videos of that sort of stuff happening and I loved reading about the BoB/GS event, but I couldn't imagine being the person playing one of the people getting owned.

It really is the second life for gamers.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
dygiT said:
GoonSwarm was responsible for the biggest player driven event in any game and are known as being all around douchebags and trolls. If GoonsWaffe can retain the GoonSwarm attitude, then I am happy again.

I don't understand.

It looked like you typed

Interest in Eve minus 1000000

Vorador

Banned
It's funny, since it's almost the very same thing they did to Band of Brothers to kick them out of Delve.

Karma goes around i guess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
j_k_redtail said:

It's not just you. I think nearly everyone but the EVE online players themselves think like this. ;)

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
PedroLumpy said:
Exactly. Goonswarm was awesome, and now that they are gone, Eve is sure to be far less interesting.

They are not gone

the new alliance is called SOLODRAKBANSOLODRAKBANSO[LODRA]

and the corp is called goonwaffe

the director who presided over the BoB wars is back in charge

TheSeks said:
It's not just you. I think nearly everyone but the EVE online players themselves think like this. ;)

You are not wrong, the metagame drama surrounding the various alliances and corps is what keeps it interesting.

ZealousD said:
What goes around...

Not the same, Goonswarm flipped a BoB director, Karttoon rage disbanded the alliance after a number members called for him to step down.

This is the timeline as best as I can understand it.

1: Karttoon goes on vacation, gives no else access to the wallet and forgets to pay SOV bill.

2: Goonswarm loses their SOV, other alliances attack Goon space once they realize what has happened.

3: Goonswarm members call for Karttoon to step down as CEO due to incompetence. (This may be #1, again not to sure about the timeline)

4: Karttoon disbands Goonswarm and steals the corporate wallet.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Pudding Tame said:
Not the same, Goonswarm flipped a BoB director, Karttoon rage disbanded the alliance after a number members called for him to step down.

1: Karttoon goes on vacation, gives no else access to the wallet and forgets to pay SOV bill.

2: Goonswarm loses their SOV, other alliances attack Goon space once they realize what has happened.

3: Goonswarm members call for Karttoon to step down as CEO due to incompetence. (This may be #1, again not to sure about the timeline)

pretty much spot on.

in the end, the only thing that could kill goonswarm.......... was goonswarm

Haha more EVE drama is always welcome. Had heard about this in game but didn't know the details.

Don't really understand the hate for the actual game though. I have been playing it for the last couple of weeks and just feel it is a really well done MMORPG. The combat is fun and has all the details that should be included in ship-to-ship combat. The only downside I can think of is some of the repetitive missions but that is a problem in every MMO.

I can't wait for Dust 514, curious to see if it will have any big effect on the metagame.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
BudokaiMR2 said:
Haha more EVE drama is always welcome. Had heard about this in game but didn't know the details.

Don't really understand the hate for the actual game though. I have been playing it for the last couple of weeks and just feel it is a really well done MMORPG. The combat is fun and has all the details that should be included in ship-to-ship combat. The only downside I can think of is some of the repetitive missions but that is a problem in every MMO.

I can't wait for Dust 514, curious to see if it will have any big effect on the metagame.

I'm pretty sure no one actually hates the game, they're just super-intimidated by it and frightened of the people who can invest the time necessary to succeed.

I spent a few weeks (not in succession) trying to get into it. I'm super fascinated by it but without a large group to get involved in it's difficult to enjoy.

Fularu

Banned
Having played on Mal'Ganis where Goon Squad resides, any server without goons is a fantastic server. They pollute the game and make it incredibly bad for the rest of the players.

If only someone could disband Goon Squad...

Aselith

dogmaan said:
You are not wrong, the metagame drama surrounding the various alliances and corps is what keeps it interesting.

I guess I don't understand that attitude. The metagame drama is interesting but it's BECAUSE of the "boring" stuff. If you couldn't fuck months of someone's work by tricking them out into space and destroying all of their valuable shit, it wouldn't have the amazing stories that come out of that atmosphere.

Calantus

So how much USD did kartoon actually get? any estimates? I know he said he was going to leave it in his account and not do anything with it, but it would still be interesting to know.

Flambe

Fularu said:
Having played on Mal'Ganis where Goon Squad resides, any server without goons is a fantastic server. They pollute the game and make it incredibly bad for the rest of the players.

If only someone could disband Goon Squad...

They were pretty fun on Eve, kept it very interesting.

Zinga

Banned
EVE is really up my alley, but I refuse to pay to play it until they fix their horrible UI. It doesn't scale correctly at higher resolutions so it makes it extremely uncomforable for me to play as I find myself straining and squinting to read the menu font.

Once they modernize the menus, then i'll definitely give it a go.

Pudding Tame said:

:lol So awesome, and I don't even know what a SOV is.

Vlodril

Sov (means sovereignty) is what level of control you have at a specific territories that can be controlled by players (also called 0.0). If you have max sov you cant be attacked unless the enemy dismantles some of your structures on neighborhood systems first.

Druz

dygiT said:

pfft defense of the shard was cooler.

Oh, wow. I only recently read about their disbandment of BoB myself, and now this. EVE is such an interesting MMO to read about :D

What happened to The Mittani?

Alphahawk

You know what would rock an Eve Online documentry, but not just any documentry, this one would be composed almost entirely of players telling their war stories about the epic events unfolding in deep space while Eve Online footage is shown. Only a voiceover in the begining would inform people that this was about a video game....

Swag

LAUGHTREY said:
I wish I knew what was going on here. Can anyone describe it in laymens terms?

Guy takes money and runs, proceeds to shoot everyone that tries to stop him in the back with Akimbo Desert Eagles.

evalue

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
I wish I knew what was going on here. Can anyone describe it in laymens terms?

^this. It reads like a clan got kicked in which case ... doesnt that happen alot in gaming?

Zinga said:
EVE is really up my alley, but I refuse to pay to play it until they fix their horrible UI. It doesn't scale correctly at higher resolutions so it makes it extremely uncomforable for me to play as I find myself straining and squinting to read the menu font.

Once they modernize the menus, then i'll definitely give it a go.

This actually is the only big problem I have. I play on my 32" tv and it really can be a bitch to chat. The fact that the largest font option is 12 is ridiculous. I have gotten used to it. The worst part is I actually like the UI for the most part, but the font size makes it a bitch.

trk_rkd

Banned
luka said:
I'm pretty sure no one actually hates the game, they're just super-intimidated by it and frightened of the people who can invest the time necessary to succeed.

I spent a few weeks (not in succession) trying to get into it. I'm super fascinated by it but without a large group to get involved in it's difficult to enjoy.

Pretty much. I've played a bit of WoW and found it pretty dull but I've watched eve being played before and it looked good, LUUURVE these kinds of drama stories... but I just think about the time suck that goes in to having a satisfactory experience with a game like this and I get scared off. But I'm really glad there are people out there who are so into it. Are they leading a balanced life? Well, probably not, but it's a damned interesting sociological experiment and it makes for great forum fodder.

Top Bottom