• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever watched a movie or show to get in the mood for a soon to be released game?

Stafford

Currently I'm watching The Expanse to get me in Starfield mood. It took a few episodes to really get going but I'm definitely into it now. It makes me speculate about what kind of environmental storytelling BGS might have in the game, what kind of side quests, there's just so much potential here.

It also works the other way, lately been playing nothing but Red Dead 2, God what a game, and it really has me in the mood to check out some old Westerns, ones I've already seen or still haven't seen. Back in the days when I was younger and me and my brother had seen Robocop we went to the SNES to play the game. I remember before GTA 4 dropped that IGN (when they were still decent) they had an article with movies they recommended to watch to really get you into the vibe for the game.

What movies or shows are you watching before Starfield comes out? Or any of the other big upcoming games? Perhaps this is a thread for non gaming, not sure. It covers both.

Pretty much every time I'll pick up a series. Dark Soulds/Elden Ring? Beserk. Alien:Isolation/Dark Descent? Movies/Lore videos. Witcher? Books and show(now)

I tend to jump into whatever I'm doing pretty hard and find it fun to learn more about the universes I'm playing in.

Stafford

First to come to mind was Heat in preperation for GTA V. Think one of the heists or some shit was influenced by a scene in the movie. Can't remember it lol.

Heat is straight up fire, what a movie, goddamn!!!!

That one mission in GTA 4 was absolutely based on it.

Last edited:

Stafford

Pretty much every time I'll pick up a series. Dark Soulds/Elden Ring? Beserk. Alien:Isolation/Dark Descent? Movies/Lore videos. Witcher? Books and show(now)

I tend to jump into whatever I'm doing pretty hard and find it fun to learn more about the universes I'm playing in.

Really great picks.

Actually Alien could be great to get into Starfield mood too. Really hoping the game has some scary as shit bits, they sure got the creatures.

poodaddy

Nah, I feel that might accelerate the burn out tendency that I'm already quite prone to which presents a consistent problem for me when I'm trying to actually "finish" a game. I wanna give myself the best chances of not getting bored of it preemptively so I get through it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not specifically but I did rewatch Alien and Aliens as I usually do every year or two and it did put me in the mood to replay Alien Isolation which I did last year. Nothing else comes to mind.

Stafford

No. Sounds pretty fucking stupid tbh.

r0Gsuh4.gif

Stafford

I swear I don't understand this kind of thread. I watch stuff if I'm in the mood to watch stuff. I don't watch stuff to put myself in the mood to play stuff. If I'm not in the mood, I don't play.

I can understand playing a game and then wanting to watch something similar or play a similar game, but not the other way around.
It's more like that Starfield is coming soon, I'm looking forward to it, but can't play it yet. I'm pretty much always in the mood for a movie or show, so why don't I check out something that is just like Starfield....hard sci-fi? And I'll get even more in the mood for the game.

That's how it can be for me. Ah well, we're all different after all.

FingerBang

It's more like that Starfield is coming soon, I'm looking forward to it, but can't play it yet. I'm pretty much always in the mood for a movie or show, so why don't I check out something that is just like Starfield....hard sci-fi? And I'll get even more in the mood for the game.

That's how it can be for me. Ah well, we're all different after all.
Ah, got it. Yeah. I guess I've replayed games waiting for a sequel in the past, though it was mostly to refresh my memory of the story and stuff like that. I rarely do that nowadays because I barely have time to keep up with the games I want to play (then something like FFXVI or Elden Ring comes along and I can't play anything else for months).

I also get it for familiarizing maybe with the lore of a game if it's a spin-off of some sort or if the game is based on/inspired by something

Stafford

Im currently watching the Expanse to both prepare me for Starfield and the Expanse game lol!
Nice! But isn't The Expanse game out already? Or are they releasing episodes every few months for the game?
going from expanse to starfield will only be underwhelming. Good story to Bethesda tier story is.... Eh.
That's not how I see it though. I'm not gonna go ahead and fully expect Expanse like stories in the game, but for sure there will be environmental storytelling and I love that stuff in BGS games. Main story often isn't the best, but they got great side quest stories.

Damigos

I watched Too Hot To Handle and Selling Sunset in preparation for Fallout 76.
I couldnt find anything worse than those

Humdinger

I read a Witcher book to get prepped for the Witcher 2 once. It didn't seem to help my enjoyment of the game (maybe because I didn't like the book much). I also read a Halo novel to get prepped for some Halo game, many years ago. That helped a little. I enjoyed the book. It was well written, for what it was.

Other than that, I don't think so. I've always used material directly related to the franchise, to get prepped. Of course, there is nothing like that for Starfield.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I just watched the recent Dungeons and Dragons movie to get hyped for Baldurs Gate (I’m waiting for ps5 release).

Side note: the Dungeons and Dragons movie is solid! Way better than it had any right to be.

Roni

Gold Member

Same, love deep diving when I'm hyped for something.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nice! But isn't The Expanse game out already? Or are they releasing episodes every few months for the game?

That's not how I see it though. I'm not gonna go ahead and fully expect Expanse like stories in the game, but for sure there will be environmental storytelling and I love that stuff in BGS games. Main story often isn't the best, but they got great side quest stories.

Episode 2 just launched and I'm hearing great things. So I thought I'd finally dive into my viewing of the expanse tv show. Loving it so far.

Stafford

Episode 2 just launched and I'm hearing great things. So I thought I'd finally dive into my viewing of the expanse tv show. Loving it so far.

That's great to hear. Seems like Telltale has not lost it, even though a big part of the team isn't there I think? Although some reports said some key people were hired again.

Bodes well for Wolf 2. I can't wait to check that game out. As for The Expanse. One more episode to go. Very good stuff. It didn't immediately grab me though, but they got me now.

TastyPastry

gonna watch GITS 95 and Blade Runner 2049 before Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty drops and i guess it's not a movie but reading berserk gets me in the mood for from software games

fart town usa

Gold Member
I plan on binging Firefly and Serenity before Starfield launches.
I let my brother borrow Serenity on BluRay the other week. He was binging Firefly and asked if I'd seen it. One of the first blurays I bought. I've only seen the movie but good stuff, love the writing.

OT, I can't think of specific examples but I definitely do engage in other forms of media that help me get into the zone.

But honestly, it's probably just marijuana. Lol. Marijuana is generally is all I need to take my gaming to the next level. 😁🫠

fart town usa

Gold Member
gonna watch GITS 95 and Blade Runner 2049 before Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty drops and i guess it's not a movie but reading berserk gets me in the mood for from software games
Check out Trancers. I stumbled on that the other week. Total 80s cheeseball Blade Runner type movie. Really entertaining if you like campy movies.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not for a soon to be released but definitely watching all anime shows makes me want to play some JRPG sometimes lol

Oh, maybe yes, new Mario game is basically Super Mario Gear 5th lol

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
First to come to mind was Heat in preperation for GTA V. Think one of the heists or some shit was influenced by a scene in the movie. Can't remember it lol.

Acthually, the bank robbery in GTA4 more closely resembles the bank heist in Heat

For me I loaded up on classic westerns before RDR2 (Once Upon A Time, Fistful trilogy, Josey Wales, Heavens Gate, Jesse James etc)

Top Bottom