• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everton (UK football club) ban the Sun (UK "Newspaper") after Ross Barkley article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Everton have banned the Sun "from all areas of its operation" after the newspaper published "appalling and indefensible" allegations about Ross Barkley and the people of Liverpool.

The article, written by columnist Kelvin MacKenzie, appeared on Friday.

MacKenzie was suspended after he compared Barkley, who has a grandfather born in Nigeria, to a "gorilla".

He also wrote that men with similar "pay packets" to Barkley in Liverpool were "drug dealers".

Merseyside Police are investigating whether MacKenzie's comments constitute a "racial hate crime".

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39608149 / More info on original article @ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ey-hillsborough-disaster-racist-a7684591.html

Trying to oust The Daily Mail as the worst UK rag. The quality of British newspapers, GAF.

Don't think GAF is the sort of place that'll understand the role The Sun plays in that region of England, or its infamy in the country, or the past of this particular editor.

Maybe, but from the second link

The footballer was punched in a bar in Liverpool city centre last week.

In the piece, which was about the incident, Mr Mackenzie wrote that Mr Barkley, whose grandfather was born in Nigeria, was ”thick" and said that when he saw him he gets ”a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo".

He also said that the only other people with ”similar pay packets" in Liverpool were ”drug dealers".

On The Sun website the article was put up with a picture of Mr Barkley captioned: ”Could Everton's Ross Barkley represent the missing link between man and beast?"

The article has now been removed from the paper's website.

There should be enough in that to see the quality of writing (garbage tabloid nonsense). Player gets punched, gets a hit piece written on him. A lot of GAF knows the Daily Mail (and it's banned on here), and by extension from that shit The Sun usually gets up to as well. Brexit will have opened many eyes on here to the nonsense the papers peddle. A small comeuppance but it's still a "ban" the UK public will cheer on.

Yeah, OP could do with a bit more back story on this newspaper, the columnist, the city and Hillsborough for full context.

The Sun banned from another club in the area

Liverpool FC has banned Sun journalists from its grounds over the newspaper's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38933817

tomtom94

Leaving the EU will be Cameron's legacy, but it should never be forgotten that he had the chance to regulate the British press and didn't.

Fuck the Sun.

Don't think GAF is the sort of place that'll understand the role The Sun plays in that region of England, or its infamy in the country, or the past of this particular editor.

Audioboxer

Maybe, but from the second link

The footballer was punched in a bar in Liverpool city centre last week.

In the piece, which was about the incident, Mr Mackenzie wrote that Mr Barkley, whose grandfather was born in Nigeria, was ”thick" and said that when he saw him he gets ”a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo".

He also said that the only other people with ”similar pay packets" in Liverpool were ”drug dealers".

On The Sun website the article was put up with a picture of Mr Barkley captioned: ”Could Everton's Ross Barkley represent the missing link between man and beast?"

There should be enough in that to see the quality of writing (garbage tabloid nonsense). Player gets punched, gets a hit piece written on him. A lot of GAF knows the Daily Mail (and it's banned on here), and by extension from that shit The Sun usually gets up to as well. Brexit will have opened many eyes on here to the nonsense the papers peddle. A small comeuppance but it's still a "ban" the UK public will cheer on.

milanbaros

Member?

Yeah, OP could do with a bit more back story on this newspaper, the columnist, the city and Hillsborough for full context.

Edit: this is a man who wouldn't get out of the city alive if he was spotted walking along Lord Street.

FeMui

Banned
On the anniversary of Hillsborough, too. I hope more clubs do this as well than just our neighbours. Fuck the S*n.

The sun is a piece of shit but to call those comments racial hate is a joke. Ross Barkley is a white man and is as white as they come. Quite obvious the sun writer doesn't know one of his relatives comes from Nigeria either.

I don't think it was intended as racist but it's a tasteless article and the Sun and Daily Mail are a disgrace and should go the way of the News of the World.

Orbis

The sun is a piece of shit but to call those comments racial hate is a joke. Ross Barkley is a white man and is as white as they come. Quite obvious the sun writer doesn't know one of his relatives comes from Nigeria either.
'the sun writer' is Kelvin MacKenzie and if you know what this guy is like, he probably knew exactly what he was doing. And he knew people would say precisely what you have said. That's not an attack on you, just in my opinion this is precisely why he used the term, because it's hard to prove it was anything to do with race or heritage.

It is in fact a somewhat well known fact about Barkley's heritage, he was even eligible to play for Nigeria.

Besides that the whole piece is an incredibly childish and pathetic attack on someone.

Audioboxer

Maybe not, but when you decide to write a hit piece on someone who was assaulted you run the risk of making a mockery of yourself and the publication you write for.

There was literally no reason to write such an article other than clickbait when other outlets were just covering it as so

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39552207

AGoodODST

On The Sun website the article was put up with a picture of Mr Barkley captioned: “Could Everton's Ross Barkley represent the missing link between man and beast?”

Wait, they actually put that on their fucking website? The Sun is such a rag of shite. Wouldn't even let my dog piss on a copy in the street.

sammex

Good on Everton. This isn't censorship if anyone thinks that, the Sun's primary motive is spreading hate and stirring shit just like the Daily Mail (which is banned on GAF).

shira

I find it odd that these brit newspapers are still in business.

Do they must have a rabid fanbase or subscribers keeping them afloat?
Or are they owned by some crazy billionaire who doesn't mind losing money?

Ban Puncher

But The Sunday Sport is still allowed though right?

BrProiZCYAASp1p.jpg

1xmHOUv.jpg

qxtrnap.jpg

0mISMBf.jpg

Bfe5va9.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
Kelvin McKenzie was the editor that presided over thing like this:

Chh-EnTW0AA5RIe.jpg

They knew exactly what they were doing rehiring him. The rag is run by a pack of dogs, fuck them. Every city should ban the pricks.

Major props to Everton for doing this.

Audioboxer

Kelvin McKenzie was the editor that presided over thing like this:

Chh-EnTW0AA5RIe.jpg

They knew exactly what they were doing rehiring him. The rag is run by a pack of dogs, fuck them. Every city should ban the pricks.

Major props to Everton for doing this.

Woah, that is... something else.

I mean, 1989, but, yeah...

akira28

so racism, sexism, insults, and a preoccupation with articles about people sticking things up their asses.

new media had to learn sleaze from somewhere.

King_Moc

Banned
Woah, that is... something else.

I mean, 1989, but, yeah...

He's still the same, and still has the same, harmful anti-expert agenda. Just recently he was trying to sow even more division between Muslims and everyone else by claiming a poll had proved they were different.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he knew of Barkley's heritage. This is exactly the sort of thing this odious dick would do.

faridmon

I'm actually surprised Everton hadn't already banned the Sun. What took them so long?

Liverpool only banned them about a month ago as far as I know. I wouldn't say we were late for banning. in fact, Discussions were ongoing in the club and Barkley issue sealed the deal.

jem0208

That hadn't already banned them?

That's ridiculous.

The UK should just ban them outright, would make the world a better place.

Took Liverpool until this year too. What took so long? Murdoch fear.

Really? I thought they'd been banned for a while.

If you buy The Sun or the Daily Mail, it should be mandatory for the shopkeeper to stamp "TWAT" onto your forehead in red ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom