• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

Afrikan

I can't believe this thread has gone 15 pages.

imo, the way they have been showing it since the beginning...its packed in.

The Camera is not costing Sony much, if it were packed in. They have showed it from the beginning + the potential miss on additional software from 3rd Party Kinect Ports/game features + one step easier for Sony to get gamers to get the MOVE and games (which they make a profit on) = It would be much more worth it for them down the road, to include it now.

i-Lo

Your post history is awesome.

ibsrgvZ5N5XBml.gif

All I'll say that this is a recent development on GAF (in the past 5 months) and it's a crying shame that Bishoptl didn't go through with his project.

Bgamer90

Banned
I would argue that a high user base, built from a lower price is going to do more to woo publishers than a camera in every box.

The system could still be a good price with the camera.

As many have mentioned, the camera doesn't cost much to make. Packing it in wouldn't make the console $100+ more in price.

adversary

Banned
This in no way confirms the console won't come with the camera. This is a video for the DS4 and the message is only pertaining to the DS4 controller being sold separately from the camera.

Sony isn't stupid enough to sell the camera separately from the console. They would nullify features built in to the controller.

This in no way confirms the console won't come with the camera. This is a video for the DS4 and the message is only pertaining to the DS4 controller being sold separately from the camera.

Sony isn't stupid enough to sell the camera separately from the console. They would nullify features built in to the controller.

Exacree.

Mifune

Mehmber
I can't believe this thread has gone 15 pages.

imo, the way they have been showing it since the beginning...its packed in.

The Camera is not costing Sony much, if it were packed in. They have showed it from the beginning + the potential miss on additional software from 3rd Party Kinect Ports/game features + one step easier for Sony to get gamers to get the MOVE and games (which they make a profit on) = It would be much more worth it for them down the road, to include it now.

How have they "showed it from the beginning?" Not its usage, that's for sure. I think if it was a pack-in it would have a more prominent place in the console unveil. Hell, they've barely even MENTIONED it, except for when it comes to minor features.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Good one. It really has been presented as part of the whole package.
It really, really has. Every time they talk about the controller they make sure to mention how the Eye will recognize the player using the light bar.

Kinda sad, I wanted them to include it for parity and partially because whatever MediaMolecule is doing is by far the most interesting thing we've seen on PS4 by far. I also think they need that bullet point parity with Kinect even though the tech likely won't be up to snuff. But they may have decided to take it out of the package to cut down on costs and bring the price down to the same as what the Xbox One probably costs. That's the only logical reason I can think of for them not including it.

Helps at launch, could hurt them down the road as all it does is encourages devs to skip over stuff like standard head tracking functionality and leave it on the cutting room floor.

What the fuck is up with this gif? Why would you ruin a classic scene like that with Sam L jackson's face? It just looks dumb. Jack Nicholson's face works just fine. Shame on whoever made this gif.

It's supposed to be Bish ya know? Not having his face on there would defeat the purpose. The gif was made by none other than the GAF gif legend, SunhiLegend!

What the fuck is up with this gif? Why would you ruin a classic scene like that with Sam L jackson's face? It just looks dumb. Jack Nicholson's face works just fine. Shame on whoever made this gif.

*whooossh*

Man, I guess you still very green to NeoGAF.

That's not just any Sam Jackson face, but specifically "Black Snake Moan" Sam Jackson with the soul crushing glare that is now the eternal trademark for one of Neogaf's admin, bishoptl, wielder of the all powerful Banhammer. An it's hilarious parody of one of his posts; there are viral/marketing shills about are that are conveniently tied to a lot of junior members.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
*whooossh*

Man, I guess you still very green to NeoGAF.

That's not just any Sam Jackson face, but specifically "Black Snake Moan" Sam Jackson with the soul crushing glare that is now the eternal trademark for one of Neogaf's admin, bishoptl, wielder of the all powerful Banhammer.

Oooohhhhh. Ok in that case I find this acceptable. I was not aware of this. No I haven't been a member here long. Like a week or two.

Gartooth

All I'll say that this is a recent development on GAF (in the past 5 months) and it's a crying shame that Bishoptl didn't go through with his project.
What was the project? Guessing it had to do with keeping PR off the boards right? Anyway back on topic, glad the camera isn't included, would have never used it anyway and it would only serve to raise the price. As someone who once had an eyetoy, I would never want to have that crap in games again.

Sami+

Awesome, that's definitely making a $399 SKU look more and more likely; a price that's both very reasonable and competitive. I'm totally down for that, and I wasn't really all that interested in the camera anyway. Plus, if it's anything like the PS3, I could always just get a larger laptop hard drive on the cheap if I need the extra space.

I do wonder if Sony could do a subscription model like Microsoft is going to; unless I misunderstood, Microsoft wants to sell you an Xbone at a low price and force you to pay Live for two years, correct? I'd want to get PS Plus anyway, so if that's part of a subscription system that'd be great.

Guymelef

Kinda weird choice. I totally expected it to be a part of the basic pack. Now developers cant 100% count on that camera being present in every system.

Less games without camera functions = more games with PS VITA remote play.
I'm ok with that.

I find it interesting how many people assume that the price would change because Sony would not include the Playstation 4 Camera (theoretically - the bundling of, or lack thereof, the camera is by no means proven or probable).

The camera would only cost them at most $5-$10 to include in the box. Sony is not going to take a further loss or hit on each PS4 sold by lowering the price $50 - $100 because they did not include one inexpensive component.

I find it interesting how many people assume that the price would change because Sony would not include the Playstation 4 Camera (theoretically - the bundling of, or lack thereof, the camera is by no means proven or probable).

The camera would only cost them at most $5-$10 to include in the box. Sony is not going to take a further loss or hit on each PS4 sold by lowering the price $50 - $100 because they did not include one inexpensive component.

How would you know exactly how much it cost.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Less games without camera functions = more games with PS VITA remote play.
I'm ok with that.
These two are not mutually exclusive, especially when both are at the developer's discretion.

Even if they were, I'd rather a camera augmenting console play in a meaningful way than developers deciding not to for a segment of a minority of consumers that will buy a $200+ device for off-TV play. Don't really agree with that sort of prioritization.

How would you know exactly how much it cost.

I presume you are referring to my estimate of how much it costs Sony to include the Playstation 4 Camera with each PS4.

I don't know the cost, but I'm making an educated guess from many years looking at component costs and profit margins. Given what we know of the Playstation 4 Camera specs I can't see it costing Sony much to include it, especially since they make cameras and camera sensors.

While the cost could be higher (maybe up to $20 depending on if they throw something else in, but I doubt it), it's not going to be close to making up the difference that a lower price point would offset.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My apologies if this has been pointed out, but here's something else that might point to the camera not being bundled.

Here's the original PS4 page after the Feb. conference:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130516032443/https://us.playstation.com/ps4/

It talks about the "new ways to play" including the Dualshock and new PSEye.

Now here's the new current page:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/

Some pictures of the camera, but zero mention of the PSEye anywhere on that page at all.

Seems a bit strange to do that if it were bundled with every system. Huh.

My apologies if this has been pointed out, but here's something else that might point to the camera not being bundled.

Some pictures of the camera, but zero mention of the PSEye anywhere on that page at all.

You do realize that the camera is in several of the pictures along with the controller?

Plus there are several pictures of just the camera as well.

I think that points to it being included more then anything else short of them saying "it's included".

Plus, it's not called the "Eye", it's branded name for this generation is the "Playstation 4 Camera"

You do realize I said that in my original response right? :p

You do realize that sort of nullifies your argument right? :)

Plus, like I said, Sony doesn't call it the "Eye" for this generation, it's just now called the camera (specifically Playstation 4 Camera) so you won't find any reference to "PSEye" on the page.

Also, if you look at the specs ("See the Specification") middle of the page, it has detailed specs for the PS4, Dual Shock 4, and Camera.

While this is only circumstantial evidence, and they could sell it completely separately, it tends to lead credence to it being included in the PS4 box.

Yoda

I love how so many people want to the PSeye to be mandatory so "we get support for it". If there is demand for such a product, how about we let the consumers show said demand? Instead of forcing down our throats like Microsoft is doing with Kinect. Let the tech stand on its own merits, not leech of the success of proven tech.

I love how so many people want to the PSeye to be mandatory so "we get support for it". If there is demand for such a product, how about we let the consumers show said demand? Instead of forcing down our throats like Microsoft is doing with Kinect. Let the tech stand on its own merits, not leech of the success of proven tech.

I don't think it's so much "want" as much as it's "I don't want Sony to be the odd duck left out in the cold".

Bgamer90

Banned

People are saying that based on history.

The majority of optional add-ons don't get that much significant support -- regardless of how well they are received.

cakefoo

Typical Sony, always going back in time to try to act like it did something first
The accusation was that Sony did it to be a "me too." In reality if we examine where the Eyetoy came from, it was not, in my opinion, just a "me too" peripheral to match a competitor.

MS is the odd duck out for requiring a camera.

How many camera controlled next gen games are in development? Probably only some Kinect crap that will sell like shit.

The WiiU, 3DS, Vita, Xbox One, iOS (most OSX for that matter), and Android all pretty much ubiquitously have cameras facing the user.

As for the games, who knows, but it's a bullet point and potentially genre defining element.

Nafai1123

Banned
To me it sounds like the eye doesn't come with the controller but doesn't confirm anything about it coming with the system. Sony's intentionally not said anything about packinh it in. I don't think that's something they'd reveal in a disclaimer.

Spinluck

This is not good for Sony.

I'm also not taking this as confirmation, I think it's subject to change.

People are acting like this camera will cost $100 lol.

aganu

Looking at both links, that actually points towards the opposite. That it's likely bundled with the system.

edit: ^^^ what MasterGoblin said.

Spinluck

I'm guessing it would have added about $50 to the price of the system.

There are a decent number of people on GAF who like/liked motion control games.

It's just that they aren't as vocal as the people here who don't like motion controls.

No one knows the cost of the camera, but obviously the console was never going to be under $500 with it, duhhh. Lol.

I definitely enjoyed motion controls on the Wii at least, some games implemented them REALLY well, hell, even some Move games pulled them off well. Not all of it is nearly as bad as some make it seem.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the camera is good. What does Kinect and/or eye offer my favorite genres? I want to hold a controller and play my favorite games. I don't want to move around, I don't want my heart rate detected, and I don't want to talk to my TV.

It's good for people who aren't like you, you know, people who enjoy it? Casual gamers, are still a crowd that plays games. If they buy a PS4 they should be catered to as well.

Casuals left Nintendo years ago for ipads and facebook games. They aren't coming back.

Don't tell me you believe this, lol. Dance Central/Just Dance next gen will be godtier to them when it's released on XBO. Yea, tablet and smartphone gaming has expanded, but it was around while casual gaming on consoles was still hot. This gen just took a huge nose dive, Kinect was also a HUGE success for what it was.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Fantastic news if true. Consumers don't want to eat the price of that camera and I doubt that Sony does either.

Yup.

If I find a reason to EVER want a kinect/pseye I'm more than happy to pay for it.

Pay for it in decreased hardware or insane launch price? NOPE

Top Bottom