• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything that is wrong with BOTW in one simple picture.

The very same people attacking TLOU2 enjoyed this "silently":

tenor.gif

lyan

it's literally like ammo in a shooter... why does noone criticize Halo for not giving you unlimited Rocket launcher ammo? or shotgun ammo? BECAUSE IT WOULD BE STUPID BEYOND BELIEVE. this is the exact same mechanic simply transferd overe to melee weapons.
near the end of my playthrough I literally had my whole inventory full of super strong swords and spears, they are handed out in abundance
While it mechanically plays fine the issue is the system sacrificed conceptual consistency as the rest of the world is full of unbreakable stuff like armor or weapons used by the enemy. It was the exact opposite of the game's physics and gadget system where the world more or less obeys the same set of rules such that whatever you imaged would work, should work.

NikuNashi

It's was overall good but flawed and definitely not great.

Repetitive bosses and lack of lengthy underground dungeons ruined it for me. But casuals gonna casual so who cares about their opinion.

sunnysideup

Banned
Its essentially a ubisoft game. They should get the credit. Not a bad game. Its a great game. But they stole everything from ubisoft.

Breakable weapons is a crap concept. I dont understand why they could not stick to the formula with a handful of swords and items. And actually make them good and meaningful.

I fucking hate collecting useless loot crap.

Classical metroid, zelda item managment is so much better and more fun.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, was my impression too.

I think Nintendo created a great world but to me it was all kinda useless because even though the map was littered with cool riddles and gameplay, most of it was just korok seeds - and I very quickly reached the point where I just don't need them any more.

Hope Nintendo improves in this regard in the sequel.

BKcsGR5.png

Even with Nintendo score inflation the updated version still failed to reach a 90 metascore, quite sad.
The sad part is that if they didn't butcher the game making it worse for the people who actually enjoyed it in the first place it would actually score lower.

But that's precisely why, the game got to no-one's land territory. It was the rebalancing and changes. Majora mask is a hard game for reviewers to get these days, because it's not about instant gratification.

One can argue that BotW weapons system is the same. I don't disagree it could be done better/differentlly but if they were to change it the balancing of the game would change. Climbing rocks in the rain all the same, it was troublesome but part of the game. I never though it was wrong and they should change it, because it felt deliberate.

I like it when it does seem like I'm controlling superman with all game powerups possible that rid me of every limitation.

I also have no doubts that, if they port it/remaster it later on, Nintendo themselves will manage to misunderstand it and make "quality of life" changes that will turn it into a product that is inferior because it takes the little that wasn't instant gratification away.

Don't get me wrong, they probably should improve the bosses and improve on other criticisms. perhaps make the climber gear that works in the rain (as seeing it's optional, one can ignore it) and some legendary weapons could be akin to the master sword.

But they're more likely to remove the rain limitation and decrease the weapon break rate so much that you don't have to worry about it. Those are not good changes.

I don't get why so many people are vocal about the weapons system, things break, yes. but why is that a problem? I don't see people complaining that on games like the Witcher 3, the legendary weapons you get as part of the main campaign are crap the moment you get them (like that winter blade, with worse specs that what you had up to that point) so you might as well sell them - for me, it being crap when for plot reasons it shouldn't than it breaking up and disapearing. On Witcher 3 they also kinda break too, which then you have to constantly kit them, this is just a hassle, as you don't have a shortage of fixing kits, you just have to go onto the menu in the middle of a fight as apply then, plus oils, and whatever else. Menus are slow too.

I felt that (Witcher 3) was more unbalanced, and because weapons magically appeared in my inventory as part of the loot I had to spend more time in stores, selling hundreds of extra weapons from bandits because they were worth money. With breath of the wild, I wouldn't pick a goblin mace if I didn't need a goblin mace, it appeared on screen as a separate thing to loot, I could even pick it before I killed the goblin, if he was to drop it. It was genius in that regard.

The weapon system makes it preferable to use whatever you have at hand, and throw away what you don't need, instead of selling for a profit, anything you don't need. It doesn't make you walk slower in the middle of a long quest to a store, so you can get rid of it, or having to drink a potion that allows you to carry extra weight.

What I mean is, you can prefer any other system but it's not exactly bad.

Last edited:
I don’t have the energy to post in another thread like this. I think the points can be valid but to me botw is certainly game of the generation and an all time masterpiece.

I wish I could erase my memory and play it anew once more. Playing on cemu in 4k 100fps is pretty damn awesome now as well. But i’m worried it will make botw2 feel shit on switch.

Last edited:

Soodanim

They have an upgraded armor set who did that.
If you mean the climbing gear, that didn’t do it. I never managed to find a set that made climbing better, just slightly faster

I found that with BOTW you have to play it on its own terms for it to be good. If you try and play it like any other game, for example playing like weapons won’t break in 6 seconds, you’re going to hate it. I’m still not a huge fan and I agree with pretty much everything in the OP. I’d give it somewhere around a 7/10. I’m not impressed by big empty worlds.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I enjoyed most of the game. I appreciated its strengths -- exploration, creativity, endless options for combining stuff, scope, ambition, lighthearted spirit.

But, in my opinion, it also had plenty of weaknesses. I found the shrines tedious. The weapon breaking interrupted combat and required that you constantly fiddle with your inventory. Combat felt sort of dinky, and enemies were repetitive. Meaningful rewards were few and far between. Characters seemed cardboard, and there wasn't much of a story.

It was about an 8 out of 10 for me. I appreciate the things it does well, but there was too much that irritated me, took me out of the experience, or made me impatient for me to consider it a masterpiece. I honestly enjoyed the moment-to-moment gameplay in Immortals more (although that game has plenty of weaknesses, too).

mxbison

It's a great game but the weapons breaking is fucking dumb and I don't know why people defend it.

Finding new weapons isn't satisfying at all because you know they will break after a couple of hits. It also interrupts the flow of combat by forcing you to switch weapons during fights.

NinjaBoiX

I definitely have my issues with it (weapon degradation and slipping too much in the rain are the main ones) but it just had this certain something about it.

It was just so soothing and airy, just a joy to mess around in.

I put it down immediately after the final boss though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's not perfect. it has flaws. still enjoyed every second of it and i want to play it again.

can't wait for the sequel. if they improve upon the flaws of BOTW then it'll be something really special. BOTW is easily one of my favourite games of all time. if they can make a better game then i'll be over the moon.

For me personally, it was a much needed shot-in-the-arm for both the series and for open-world games in general. Zelda games hadn't felt like an actual adventure in such a long time, and most open-world games where you're reliant on map indicators to go where the game tells you to go also don't provide that sense of adventure and discovery. It is far from a perfect game, but it is deserving of all the accolades it gets.

There are definitely valid criticisms to make regarding BOTW. I think first and foremost, the dungeons (and subsequent boss fights) were underwhelming, to put it kindly. I was willing to overlook it this one time because the game really excelled in the areas that it absolutely needed to, but if the dungeons aren't markedly improved in BOTW2 that is something I will really hold against it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The freedom and sense of wonder they managed to create is incredible to me. One of the best games of the decade in my opinion.

It's a terrific walking simulator, I grant you that. But the sense of wonder evaporated quickly after hours of walking and hang gliding through a mostly empty world.

Bragr

Banned
Those reasons aren't good enough. Plenty of things to dislike about BOTW but those reasons are silly.

Enemy variety and story aren't what makes the game tick, it's like complaining about how the race cars in GTA sound the same. If you wanna complain about BOTW, you gotta go after the combat system and stuff like progression through shrines.

Most people that dislike BOTW still give it like a 7 or 8, which says a lot.

Soodanim

It's a terrific walking simulator, I grant you that. But the sense of wonder evaporated quickly after hours of walking and hang gliding through a mostly empty world.
I had a better time with travelling in BotW when I realised horses stick to roads once they're on them. I was so used to taking the path less travelled that getting anywhere took forever in my first playthrough. Exploring is fine, but in an empty world where there's mostly no advantage unless you're seed hunting, you can see everything you need from a road anyway so you might as well take advantage and likely get to your destination quicker than a supposed shortcut over something.

Amory

I personally can't get into BOTW even though I've tried more than a few times. I enjoy a more structured experience with a greater emphasis on story, and it's just not my kind of game.

But as far as review scores go, people really just need to relax. Particularly if you're over the age of like, 12.

If it's a 10/10 for one person, great. Clearly they really enjoyed it and the game's flaws just don't bother them. If it's a 7/10 for someone else, they probably have reasoning behind that and you can choose to read their critiques or not. There aren't any perfect games.

Wunray

I'm sorry some of you guys feel that way about BoTW, but like RDR2 it's an amazing game and will be influential for years to come, 2 developers already found success in it's formular and BoTW has only been out for 3 years.

Bramble

I'm sorry some of you guys feel that way about BoTW, but like RDR2 it's an amazing game and will be influential for years to come, 2 developers already found success in it's formular and BoTW has only been out for 3 years.

It's funny because both are (in my opinion) not fun to play at all. It doesn't feel good. It doesn't make me want more because of an addictive gameplay loop. Amazing open worlds? Sure. Fun to play. Hell naw.

Last edited:

Tg89

10/10 for me. Only thing I'd like improved for 2 would be the inclusion of standard Zelda dungeons as well as a bit more enemy variety.

The density of the world didn't bother me and it's one of the open world games I've spent the most time exploring, it did a better job than any other open world game I've played in terms of giving me the urge to just go off in random directions or climb that mountain, etc. Density =/= good open world game, as evidenced by the last 15 years of Ubisoft trash.

Terenty

Watch fanboys shitting on Botw when Botw 2 comes out and turns out the first one was a barren empty shell of a game

Wunray

Agree with all points. I couldn't stand it any longer after 15-20 hours or so. Fenyx Rising is way more fun.

It's funny because both are (in my opinion) not fun to play at all. It doesn't feel good. It doesn't make me want more because of an addictive gameplay loop. Amazing open worlds? Sure. Fun to play. Hell naw.
It's all subjective in the end. Also you're sending me mixed signals.

PooBone

It was a good game, not everyone's cup of tea. For all these gripes, it does 10 things well. The people declaring they're done with Nintendo games and consoles forever because they didn't like it are truly a blessing in laughter for me this morning. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
w5lc4Hh_d.webp

I congratulate Nintendo on BOTW, don’t be mad at them for cashing in on the open world trend. Calamity Ganon was a great final boss, yes I’d rather have traditional temples as opposed to the Divine Beasts, the Sheikah Slate provides much more to Link than Navi, Midna or Fi ever did. Everyone owes it to themselves to play Breath of the Wild.

SegaShack

Bought breath of the wild on release day.

I played it for maybe 4 hours total and didn't touch it since. This picture sums up my thoughts on the game.

For people where this stuff doesn't bother them, I'm glad you have fun with the game.

It was not my cup of tea. Then again, I've never been into big open world games and prefer things like Ocarina of Time's overworld to BOTW or Twilight Princess' giant overworld.

I also have never enjoyed crafting in games.

Last edited:
And then proceeds to bring up metacritic. (of the grossly inferior 3ds version, which is still a better game than botw)

Philistines, Philistines everywhere
Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

"grossly inferior", Lol stop coping. The original is only better in a couple of things.

Botw is better, no question about it. Even the AVGN didn't like Majora's Mask.

sackings

agree 100%. Still immensely enjoyed my time with the game, but a perfect game it is not. 8.5/10 is a fair score IMO

Top Bottom