• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 IOT2I Final day Final game - SFV Top 8 live on ESPN2

Revelator had more viewers this year than Xrd had last year. And BlazBlue isn't intended to be a replacement for Xrd like SFV was with SF4, so I think it'd be hard to cut it. Pokken and KI seemed to draw the least amount of interest as far as viewers go, so they'd be the main two candidates to drop.

If there truly is a NX port of Smash 4 coming next year & nothing for Pokken, and if MS is still pushing out content for KI, then I think Pokken being dropped (and thus dropping Wii-U games altogether) is the best option to go about here. Saves on space for the venue (Pokken requires double the setup for a single match).

I could live without KI being in the EVO lineup, but it has a community and MS seems to want to continue to support it. Its already got the saturday slot, might as well let it stay.

JayEH

He has a point, we'll probably see another Vs. game from Capcom at some point in the near future for the PS4. The question is if it'll be MvC4 or something else entirely? And while Marvel seems to be open to the idea, Capcom's "playing things too safe for their own good" mentality (in fear of backsliding on their financial situation) may hold MvC4 back from happening anytime soon.

Either way, MvC4 now is more likely than MvC3 was before it was revealed, so there's hope. To quote kirblar...

I'm just wondering what evidence there is to support another Capcom fighter this gen. Just seems unlikely to me considering Capcom has released two fighters in a row (SF X T and SFV) that missed expectations and though SFV is doing well competitively to me it seems to just make sense to focus all efforts on that game with more characters, costumes, etc.

Neoxon

Matt whatshisface at Capcom (might be wrong name) had a really smiley reaction when asked to clarify on PS4 exec specifically stating it's the home of Capcom FGs (and not specifically Street Fighter)

Capcom PT recently had a slight rebrand in that direction in the past week or so as well - a second game is imminent.
Or they could be covering their asses just in case a second game does get added in the future. And even if MvC4 is happening, we probably won't hear about it for a good long while (if Marvel's recent comments are anything to go by).

I'm just wondering what evidence there is to support another Capcom fighter this gen. Just seems unlikely to me considering Capcom has released two fighters in a row (SF X T and SFV) that missed expectations and though SFV is doing well competitively to me it seems to just make sense to focus all efforts on that game with more characters, costumes, etc.
Street Fighter V didn't miss the mark by that much, & Capcom not pumping as much money into SFV (in terms of budget) probably made it more profitable in the long-run. Plus, Capcom's well aware as to why SFV underperformed, so they aren't blaming fighting games as a whole.

JayEH

Matt whatshisface at Capcom (might be wrong name) had a really smiley reaction a year ago when asked to clarify on PS4 exec specifically stating it's the home of Capcom FGs (and not specifically Street Fighter)

Capcom PT recently had a slight rebrand in that direction in the past week or so as well - a second game is imminent.

Oh ok. Well I'd rather them do just a Capcom all stars game than another licensed property.

Or they could be covering their asses just in case a second game does get added in the future. And even if MvC4 is happening, we probably won't hear about it for a good long while (if Marvel's recent comments are anything to go by).

Street Fighter V didn't miss the mark by that much, & Capcom not pumping as much money into SFV (in terms of budget) probably made it more profitable in the long-run. Plus, Capcom's well aware as to why SFV underperformed, so they aren't blaming fighting games as a whole.

Well yeah honestly the game cheaps out on everything outside of characters that I'm sure they probably did not hurt too much financially (if it all). Im glad they recongnize the mistakes though. I'd love them to continue making fighters.

Neoxon

Oh ok. Well I'd rather them do just a Capcom all stars game than another licensed property.
There are a couple of pros & cons for doing Capcom All-Stars...

Pros
  • Capcom won't have to worry about any licensing fees, so they can support the game for as long as they want.
  • Capcom can focus on their stable of characters thanks to not having to share the spotlight with another property.
Cons
  • The lack of a big property may limit the game's appeal to the average joe.
  • As a result of the previous point, Capcom may be forced to focus more on their major franchises (Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, etc.) to make up for the lack of a popular property to lure in casuals, to the detriment of their smaller franchises (Darkstalkers, for example).

border

I missed out this year due to work. Can someone point me to a decent stream/YouTube of the Final 8 for SFV? I haven't been spoiled yet, but I suspect I will be spoiled if I listen to this week's Bombcast.

Please quote me if you respond, since I am trying to avoid being spoiled I am not reading the rest of the thread.

Top Bottom