• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution Studios, Guerrilla Cambridge & SCE London Studio hit by layoffs

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Multiple Sony studios have been hit by layoffs this morning, SCEE has confirmed to VideoGamer.com.

UK studios Evolution Studios, Guerrilla Cambridge and SCE London Studio have each been affected, and while total numbers have yet to be confirmed, VideoGamer.com understands that numerous people from each studio have been made redundant.

"Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive business can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects," a Sony spokesperson said.

"As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and have decided to make some changes to some of our European Studios. As a result of this, there will be a focused restructure within London Studio, Guerrilla Cambridge Studio and Evolution Studio to ensure that the SCE WWS is in the best position to achieve their goals going forward.

"Our first party development studios are key to our creative strategy and we are very excited about the future projects being worked on."

Evolution Studios is currently developing much-delayed PS4 racer DriveClub, with Guerrilla Cambridge having wrapped up work on Vita shooter Killzone Mercenary last year. SCE London Studio, meanwhile, completed work on PS4 freebie The Playroom last year and is rumoured to have been working on an unannounced PS4 title.

It isn't clear how the layoffs may affect the development of DriveClub.

The layoffs follow a wave of redundancies at Sony Santa Monica last month after the studio's unannounced new IP was cancelled.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/drive...dge_and_sce_london_studio_hit_by_layoffs.html

Update:

DriveClub development 'not affected' by Evolution layoffs
The development of DriveClub "will not be affected" by today's layoffs at Evolution Studios, SCEE has confirmed to VideoGamer.com.

The clarification follows this morning's report that Sony would be leading a "focused restructure" at three of its European studios – including Evolution.

An exact number of those affected by the layoffs has yet to be confirmed.

Nevertheless, DriveClub is still without a release date following its delay late last year and is technically still on track for an "early 2014" launch.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/drive...ment_not_affected_by_evolution_layoffs_2.html

DemonNite

0OZj5OM.jpg

Suzzopher

Cambridge is pretty small as it is, I doubt they are long for this world :(

I don't see Evolution lasting this generation either :(

V_Ben

Banned
Cambridge is pretty small as it is, I doubt they are long for this world :(

I don't see Evolution lasting this generation either :(

They got a second chance after Apocalypse... feels like Driveclub may well be their last chance for success, hence why they've been given all the time they need to finish it.

Hope the layoffs weren't too severe :/

Personally, I would be happy if Sony dropped everything except its Playstation and Camera arms. Hopefully, the people made redundent quickly find new employment and this doesn't effect the dev of interesting games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Fuck sake. Sure, Evolution deserve the shanking at this point, but Sony Cambridge consistently put out some of the best games in Sony's catalogue. Killzone Merc was an achievement beyond reason, and had the best Killzone single player ever. Hell, they also work A LOT on other teams fuck ups. They're a great studio often without the praise they deserve.

I came here to post this.

1156.gif

Seriously,the new console is selling like never before.What is the problem Sony?

I hope DriveClub is not the next The Last Guardian...

meppi

For fucks sake. Again? :(

Please tell me the only reasoning behind this is because they need the money to rebuild Studio Liverpool...

Sony as gaming sector is selling good. why lay off people from the winning team ?

"numerous people from each studio have been made redundant."
It's sad, but while PlayStation is doing amazingly well Sony is not, Sony still has to pay these people and the entire company is restructuring. Why pay two people for the same job when you can pay one?

SmokyDave

Fuck sake. Sure, Evolution deserve the shanking at this point, but Sony Cambridge consistently put out some of the best games in Sony's catalogue. Killzone Merc was an achievement beyond reason, and had the best Killzone single player ever. Hell, they also work A LOT on other teams fuck ups. They're a great studio often without the praise they deserve.
Yup, what a kick in the bollocks for such a good team.

I'm a big fan of Evolution too. Grim stuff all around.

thuway

Doing my best to find out what's going on. It's quiet out there but if I found out anything will let you know.

Ouch. Hopefully they find jobs soon. But because of things like this I think I prefer RaD and QD to stay independent for now.

Bundy

Banned
Business-wise, it makes sense.
SCEE London's output the last decade was really really bad.
So some kind of a studio-reboot (see SSM) makes sense.

SCEE Cambridge finished Killzone VITA a few months ago and are restructuring.
The Guerrilla Games bosses just visited them a few days ago to talk about the future.

And Evolution Studios..... don't know what to say. They are struggling for quite some time now.

Makes sense for Sony to reboot some studios/put some fresh blood in it.
As sad as it sounds for some people.

Bold One

Sony Exec 1- Congratulations the PS4 is selling well, most importantly without a lot of 1st Party software.

Sony Exec 2 - ....I see, (leans over the balcony and grins)

Sony Exec 1- are you Ok?

Sony Exec 2- I am more than Ok, do you know what this means?

Sony Exec 1 - .........

Sony Exec 2 - our 1st party is dead-weight, we will win the generation without them.

all that money spent on ICE technologies. meaningless!

(turns to Sony Exec 1)

.......dispatch Druckman,

(leans into his lapel,)

execute - Order 1866

Hammer24

Banned
I hate the use of the word "redundancies" when they talk about peoples jobs and lives.

Hoping, everyone landing on their feet!

Duxxy3

End of quarter changes?

Probably doesn't help that drive club missed the release date by a wide margin, and seemingly disappeared.

Edit: Unfortunate that Guerilla Cambridge got stuck with a vita game. Would love a console port.

KoopaTheCasual

"numerous people from each studio have been made redundant."
It's sad, but while PlayStation is doing amazingly well Sony is not, Sony still has to pay these people and the entire company is restructuring. Why pay two people for the same job when you can pay one?
That quote is so cold, but understandably necessary. Man, so many cuts.

What are the chances this is because of the new guy who replaced Jack Tretton? Or is this Shu's work? Either way it's not looking good.

Business-wise, it makes sense.
SCEE London's output the last decade was really really bad.
So some kind of a studio-reboot (see SSM) makes sense.

SCEE Cambridge finished Killzone VITA a few months ago and are restructuring.
The Guerrilla Games bosses just visited them a few days ago to talk about the future.

And Evolution Studios..... don't know what to say. They are struggling for qute some time now.

Makes sense for Sony to reboot some studios/put some fresh blood in it.
As sad as it sounds for some people.

Yup, it's a sad fact, but it has to happen. PlayStation is one of the few parts of Sony that is doing well and they need to make sure it is efficient as possible and that they are not wasting any money.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sony as gaming sector is selling good. why lay off people from the winning team ?
Based on the numbers being let go I'd argue that it's simply a massive cost cutting effort. They're basically trimming the fat, so to speak.

It happens regularly in large corporations even during periods of success.

I hope these guys land on their feet, though.

Top Bottom