• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of film/TV/comedy from the past that wouldn't be acceptable today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone's buying his fat ass on all those mugs and plushies.

He's literally multi-million dollar merchandise. C'mon. How many Al Bundy dolls you remember hitting store shelves in the 90s.

"A somewhat loveable bigot" is what the post was stating wouldn't stand a chance on airwaves today. Not only would he stand a chance, he'd become a fucking comedy institution and probably the most recognizable bit of iconography from a groundbreaking television series. And a large part of that recognition comes from his status as irreverent merchandise.

And even then - it's not like Cartman got a free pass, just like Al Bundy or Bart Simpson didn't get a free pass, or even Archie Bunker (or Maude, or Fred Sanford, etc.)

I'm not denying that people like Cartman or that he moves merchandise. Just that his characterization is ever "lovable" past the first couple of seasons. When he does things that seem nice it's always for selfish, terrible reasons. He's clearly meant to be a bad person just like the Always Sunny gang, and I think most of the audience gets that. At least I have to believe they do.

What about Klinger on M*A*S*H being insensitive towards cross dressers/trans people, by dressing as a woman in the hopes of being declared insane and unfit to serve?

Not just the character, but then the actor dropping the shtick because he didn't want his kids to be ashamed of him wearing women's clothing day after day on national TV.

Do you guys think Revenge of the Nerds would still fly?

p8363_p_v8_ab.jpg

There's a lot in that movie that's pretty creepy.

Monster Squad would never be allowed to be made in today's world.

Monster Squad was part of that weird, wonderful couple of years int the 80s when the PG-13 rating was new and no one was really sure what to do with it.

About Married With Children, which some folks in the thread are debating over, is I think it would go over OK in modern times because I imagine it being done in a more The Office/Always Sunny in Philadelphia-type of format without a studio audience. The cheering of Al Bundy like a hero and the hooting and catcalling, etc. really does color how the whole show comes across.

Somewhat related to the topic, anybody feel like if Lois and Clark were on today it would be a big freakin' deal that Superman was part Asian - like it seems to be the perfect thing to annoy the maximum amount of political blowhards whether it be because they want a pure white Superman or think it's pathetic that they couldn't go all the way and get a full Asian actor and overall there'd just be this assumption that of course the casting was deliberately provocative (for good or bad) and no way could it have ever happened just because.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Before someone comes in and tries to say "Blazing Saddles"

No.

Basically, the only sort of comedy that probably wouldn't get out of the writers room anymore is comedy that relies on a cultural acceptance of fairly oppressive/prejudiced notions as fact. And even then, that shit still slips through.

Otherwise, so long as you're challenging some sort of ingrained status quo with your satirical observances, pretty much everything is acceptable today. Whether or not you land your joke is a different question entirely. But unless you're shown to be a thoughtless, privileged, downward-punching dipshit, you're typically given some leeway to go where you're trying to go.

The notion that shit is somehow more off limits now than it was then is fascinating to see get regurgitated over and over again, especially by people whose knowledge of the past is entirely academic and not contextual or even drawn from personal experience.

Comedians get away with so much shit now. Comedies push envelopes way farther than they used to. Comedic storytelling fucking goes places it didn't used to on the regular when I was growing up, and the risks being taken in comedy are, from what I can see, bigger and bolder than they were back then, on average.

So, side note. I've seen a few of your posts today and it seems you're a huge fan of italics.
;)

I was watching The Splat the other night and remembered that the superhero on Rocko's Modern Life has the ability to show you the future by staring into his nipples.

The only thing in this thread that couldn't be redone today are some of the stuff targeted to kids.

Specifically the overtly racist stuff. I can't think of a modern off screen suicide like the Looney Tunes example but I feel like there's one. Though I might just be thinking of something on Adult Swim like Rick and Morty.

And Rocko isn't any worse than some of the stuff shows like Adventure Time get away with today.

Kittygirl

"Some Like It Hot"

The last scene: Exasperated, Jerry removes his wig and shouts, "I'm a man!" Osgood simply responds, "Well, nobody's perfect."

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Airplane has that "Have you ever seen a grown man naked" line said to a little boy.

Coulda been worse. Per the commentary track, they mulled over having him say "Joey, have you ever sucked a grown man's cock?"

Do you guys think Revenge of the Nerds would still fly?

Yeah, the real rape-y fun times stuff like that is the only questionable material I'm unsure about. At the least I think it would all be given a very different tone.

But I need to agree with all the (old) posters in this thread who are bewildered by the idea that "acceptable" means the same as "no complaints". The Simpsons was called out directly by the freaking US president. In many of these sitcom clips you can hear how shocked audiences are. People complained back then and these things still got made. Today is no different.

gfxtwin

In the 70's this comic book artist, Robert Crumb, was known for making SCATHING, uncompromising and profoundly disturbing comics intended as unflinching satire of the dark underbelly of society. Also known for Fritz the Cat (which was adapted as a movie that he famously tore to shreds), the "Keep on Truckin'" meme, and a cover of a Janis Joplin record. Here's a tame example (took a while to find something that wasn't undoubtedly NSFW):

He was criticized as sexist and sometimes racist back in his day, though he would argue his intentions were feminist/progressive because he wanted to portray how ugly the straight white male id could be and used humor to subvert the harmful impact it has in society. If he was a millennial he might've been blacklisted though due to the sheer raunchiness/disturbingness of his stuff, which many critics argue was hurtful.

But he is a smart guy and many feel there is a lot of truth in his work.

Here's a strip he did about Donald Trump in the 80's (NSFW)

Talented and interesting guy. There's a really well-made documentary about him that's worth watching IMO.

Airplane has that "Have you ever seen a grown man naked" line said to a little boy.

Yep.

There's like 4 lines from that pilot to the kid. And they're all hilarious - I still quote them today. Some people just have no sense of humor about taboo subjects, I guess. But the shock value is what makes it funny...

I don't get the replies here saying various things "wouldn't fly." Maybe with certain groups, sure. But if you think the vast public is as sensitive to these issues as you are, you really need to get off of gaf every once in a while.

Kind of shocked that this was allowed on Frasier in 2003-04.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzhrCg9To14
This is the only episode of Frasier I've never watched all the way through. I've seen the rest of the series at least a dozen times by now. It's a stupidly racist episode of its time and way too cringe-inducing to sit through. (A black woman fills in for Roz and acts like a stereotypical black woman, and Frasier has to find out how to complain about this appropriately.)

Related, Niles's whole obsession, stalking, and creeping on Daphne would probably still fly today if they rewrote some of it to be less "hopeless romantic" when he's clearly just scarily obsessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom