• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of games with Super Mario 64-style hub world?

Emarv

Hey, Gaf.

I was talking with a friend recently about how neat the Super Mario 64 hub world was as a successor to the classic level screen but also giving the player something to explore and experiment with the player mechanics.

Note that to me this concept feels different than an "open world" but still may have mysteries or shortcuts but generally just gives you a place to explore between levels.

Mario64_2.jpg

The only one I could think of was Diddy Kong Racing on N64.
270832-n64_diddy_kong_racing_taj.jpg

Are there more cool examples of this type of explorable hub world?

Erekiddo

Banjo Kazooie did this. I loved the dynamic music change throughout.

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne to a lesser extent.

WX3

I think Majula (from Dark Souls II) would fit with its branching outward paths and a limited amount of exploration in the area itself. I consider it the hub since you need to return here to level up etc. What do you guys think of that?

I'm playing Sly for the first time and I like that the first "mission" had its own hub connected to 6 levels. I hope every mission is like that. Not as explorable as peach's castle though.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hubs are a lot older than mario 64...
Addams Family for example
addams-family-04.png

Edit:
James pond 2 codename robocod
James-pond-2-04.png

chakan the forever man
Chakan%20(UE).png

and i'm sure others.

Crash Team racing had hub worlds, but much more simple.

All spyro PSX have hub worlds too, being collect a ton games, it would have a lot of little secrets and pathways, and one or two secret gates per world.

FistOfSyn

Banned
paper mario games also have great hub worlds with a ton of stuff to explore in them.. especially paper mario 1 and TTYD.

I love Diddy Kong's hub world. It's so much more Intersting than the one in DK64. I hope we get a real sequel that takes place in the same place but with vastly updated visuals and you can get out of your car to climb trees, etc.

Top Bottom