• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of old movies with CGI that has aged well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumanji 1995
tumblr_naqef7nDYg1tijsulo2_500.gif

Jumanji didn't even look good at the time.

1996's Dragonheart deserves a mention in this thread. It was a step above JP since there were many daylight scenes, and more importantly, the dragon was an actual voiced character with facial expressions and personality, and had to converse and interact with live actors.

With respect, I disagree with this. Yes it can be considered ground breaking for its time, however in light of the thread purpose, it has aged badly, and whilst the screenshots you posted are impressive when looking at other films at the time the cgi taken as a whole has not aged well at all.

It looks ropey, the dragon does not look like it belongs in the scenes at all, completely understandable given the time the film was made, animation and composition wise the dragon and other effects look dated, the T. rex in JP1 looks far better. The so called magic of JP is how it it just doesn't use cgi by itself, but how well it implemented in the scene and how well it goes with other elements within said scence. I mean jesus, myself and others are shocked that they cgi'd the jeep in the T. rex attack scene and the film was made 23 years ago. I've watched the film many times, and I am gobsmacked at the cgi jeep fact.

Dragon heart can be considered a groundbreaking film in regards to cgi but the cgi has not aged well at all,tbf.

I guess its cheaper to do CGI for something like Zodiac and Gone Girl? I thought CGI was super expensive.

For Zodiac a lot of it was because Fincher wanted to capture the crime scenes exactly the way they actually looked back in 1968 San Francisco, which is clearly impossible to do in 2007.

But no, for the most part background CG like that is extremely cheap and easy to do nowadays, and you'd be surprised just how much it's used today, for the most part it's completely unobservable.

holygeesus

Banned
Using the same definition of 'old' as everyone else, I thought the CGI in Gladiator (2000) was pretty well done, such as the tigers and crowd-work. Re-animating Oliver Reed must have been tough too.

I also think Hollow Man did some great work - same year. The early transformation scene was pretty mind-blowing where his body disappears layer by layer.

Labyrinth featured some mind-blowing CGI for 1986 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbNrkazI-AY

Jurassic Park is the GOAT though, and the fact it was just 6 years after the Labyrinth effort above, shows how advanced it really was.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pearl Harbor is a terrible movie but I gotta give it to the VFX team, they did a great job in the scenes where the Japanese attack.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I was struck by how good the CGI in Fight Club was, on a recent rewatch. It's not the type of movie you'd expect to have much CG budget, but there's some really impressive shots and modeling in there.

JB1981

Pearl Harbor is a terrible movie but I gotta give it to the VFX team, they did a great job in the scenes where the Japanese attack.

Many of the shots where we follow the Japanese planes flying through the harbor in between the ships looked bad then and even worse now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Master and Commander uses a lot of invisible VFX. They obviously did not shoot the movie on the open seas, they shot inside a big-ass tank. However the director was adamant in not wanting fake-looking CG water. To create their ocean they composited different elements of real-life ocean footage into the movie. The Cape Horn scene actually has stormy waves from the actual Cape Horn for example. So the ocean in the movie is made of several different real-life elements and layers, composited together in a way that honestly looks 100% believable. It's not digital, CG water, but it's all done thanks to computers either way.

But you also have the more traditional use of CGI like CG ships for some scenes, rain, and destruction of course. Everything is seamless. My opinion is that M&C is a perfect example of sensible use of CGI.

They probably had to remove my mom's best friend and her husband from parts of it. They were on their little boat off of Mexico, saw the ship and got curious. All of the chase boats were on the other side. They were against the side of the ship before anyone even noticed them. When they got there they yelled "Are you guys in a club?" and the extras were shitting their pants trying to keep straight faces.

not sure if that counts, given that supposedly the scene is made traditionally with a bit of help from the computer.

They created a 3D wireframe environment and had a computer (with a pen) draw the scene onto animation paper. They then drew the characters on top of it.

So it's not what you'd conventionally think of when you say "computer-generated imagery," but they had more than "a bit of help" from the computer and the scene wouldn't have been possible otherwise. I say it counts.

Morgoth

Banned
Look at the shot in question though. Either he's CGI or a lot of work has been done to remove the puppeteer, which is still CGI effects work.
Removing actors and wires and such is compositing which is different than cgi. Cgi is creating something that doesn't exist in the real world with computers. Compositing is the removal of what is already there.

The fact that the jeep in the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park was CGI is blowing my mind. I have watched that movie so many damn times and didn't even has a single suspicion or thought about the car not being real.

The lord of the Rings films still hold up pretty well, most famously gollum but man all the battle scenes are still on their own level, only recently has the Battle of the Bastards in game of thrones of all things has those battles been recaptured.

Just watch this scene Ride of the Rohirrim. The cgi is used for the big massive shots and anything close up is real practical effects with actors, of course there are closer shots of the cgi but man even those are blended in with practical effects and real people.

The blend is done so perfectly well that it's actually quite unbelievable that the same people were behind the Hobbit films. It's like they took everything they learned from the original trilogy and threw it out.

While LOTR does hold up pretty well, it had it's missteps too. The cave troll looked great in some shots, and downright terrible in other shots, and let us not forgot the CGI Legolas while he's on top of it. Holy shit, that looked bad in the theater!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyevhryWKHk

I should have mentioned that the first one in the trilogy had the weakest cgi and a lot of the scenes didn't hold up too well and it's a good thing it relied a lot on practical. I will say though that after the cave troll scene it was Gandalf vs the Balrog and that again used the method of long shots cgi and close shots "real" and it works very well in keeping it re watchable.

TheFuzz

Lots of good examples in here, but Jurassic Park is on a whole 'nother level. Watching it today, it's incredible that it's as old as it is. It's CGI Is better than Jurrasic World.

Kinyou

The lord of the Rings films still hold up pretty well, most famously gollum but man all the battle scenes are still on their own level, only recently has the Battle of the Bastards in game of thrones of all things has those battles been recaptured.

Just watch this scene Ride of the Rohirrim. The cgi is used for the big massive shots and anything close up is real practical effects with actors, of course there are closer shots of the cgi but man even those are blended in with practical effects and real people.

The blend is done so perfectly well that it's actually quite unbelievable that the same people were behind the Hobbit films. It's like they took everything they learned from the original trilogy and threw it out.
Lotr also made good use of miniatures. The one they build for Minas Tirith is super impressive

wrTpsHu.jpg

I mean... yeah? That's still CGI, especially if they have to replace shadows, backdrops, etc.

But people think the CGI is the robot itself, when it's a practical puppet. Removal of puppeteer, strings, background stuff has all been done before for practical effects too, the tools to do so have just gotten more advanced

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Jurassic Park was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the thread title. Glad to see it is first post.

The T-Rex night scene is just surreal.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Lots of good examples in here, but Jurassic Park is on a whole 'nother level. Watching it today, it's incredible that it's as old as it is. It's CGI Is better than Jurrasic World.

The hyperbole is getting out of hand..

There are plenty of logical explanations for why modern CG effects don't always excite as much as they did in certain past films, but those reasons are much more related to how the technology was used back then vs how it's often (mis)used today.

Also, people forget there were only about 4 minutes of CG effects shots in the original JP. That's roughly 6000 frames, and most of those frames predominantly consisted of real footage so the amount of actual pixels that needed to be rendered was overall quite small.

But because JP had such an explosive impact on the film industry, it wasn't long before everybody wanted CG effects in their movie, and each movie had to have more complex CG and more of it. So within a couple of years the actual workload must have grown by a factor of thousands or more - and that's a conservative estimate!
Beyond the fact that such a rate far exceeded Moore's Law or any other technical and technological growth metric, there's also the human factor that needs to be accounted for. It takes many years to train an expert, and with demand far outstripping supply there's no doubt quality was going to suffer in the short term.

Here are two good articles relevant to this thread:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jurassic-park-how-cgi-was-used-2014-11

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-expensive-films-end-up-with-crappy-special-effects/

what the fuck

$45 million in 2012?

Did they literally give $990,000 of it to the cast, $10,000 to an art school student to animate, and then set fire to the other $44,000,000 just because?

In fairness, Foodfight! was actually started back in the early 2000s, and it had to be restarted from scratch after the original animation files were reportedly stolen. The movie was in development hell for quite a while, and had surprisingly somehow managed to escape.

And speaking of which, there exists a trailer of the film with the original animation (reportedly from 2002), and it actually looks halfway respectable compared to the final film that came out a decade later.

Independence Day, especially if you compare it to The Rock and Air Force One which both came out the same year.

Speaking of Air Force One, the shots of the plane (which are CG) are still pretty good IMO. At least during the shots of it in flight against the nighttime setting. Sadly, this isn't the case towards the end of the movie when it's placed in the morning sky, the plane become a painfully conspicuous CG model, like it looks like it was ripped out of a videogame.

Jacknapes

Jurassic Park springs to mind, even though it's been mentioned several times. That CGI and pratical effects holds up so well all these years later.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Terminator 2 and The Mask are pretty good with CGI holding up well.

i wonder if a lot of studios still use miniatures.

I mean i know a few do, but any notable examples?

Christopher Nolan is pretty famous for it now, he really likes to use practicals when ever possible, I'm pretty sure all of his latest major releases have used miniatures in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom