• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of Stupid Idioms

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush.

It’s technically worth either one more or infinitely more assuming the Bush birds can escape.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This one really fucking pisses me off. As if playing like some situation is beyond their control justifies it.
I usually consider 'it is what it is' to mean that complaining and discussing what should have been done differently won't change the situation you are in. Basically a companion to 'you have to play the cards you have been dealt'.

Raining cats and dogs, clouds have silver lining, etc. what are common idioms you know but annoy you everyone you read or hear them?

Mine is "having your cake and eating it too." Even now I still don't know what this is supposed to mean. If I'm gonna have cake then I'm gonna fucking eat it. What's the point of having the cake but not eating it? Fuck this shit.

This was probably addressed ages ago but whatever.

The phrase is supposed to be, "You can not eat your cake and have your cake too" think of it as an old time way of saying "You can't have it both ways." These phrases refer to situations where you have to choose between two things and can not have both.

Every time someone says "I could care less" I want to scream into a pillow.

I had a theatre professor for three years who would always say that in spite of being a hardass on proper pronunciation and grammar in every other instance.

It's kind of interesting to see how certain idioms have been bastardized over the years to push a more oppressive, mother-knows-best boilerplate "wisdom" than what the original expressions suggested.

"A jack of all trades, master of none" originally follows up with "is better than a master of one." It just means it's preferable to be a well-rounded individual rather than someone who only specializes in one thing. It's ok to be good at everything and not be the best in one of them because you're far more versatile.

Also, "curiosity killed the cat" - "but satisfaction brought it back."

Edit: I'll translate the cake phrase into something GAF will understand.

"You can't have your unopened limited Collector's Edition video game and play it too."

But most of you buy two copies anyway so idk.

Travo

Some on GAF believe the cake idiom means we should all go back to the drawing board. I'm not going to do that, though, so the ball's in your court.

I wish I could say the cake idiom is just a drop in the bucket. Perhaps after reading this, we can assume some have a chip on their shoulder. We know the OP’s a leopard who can’t change his spots and will just add more fuel to the fire.

Top Bottom