• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

explain how music can have a strong effect on how you feel--how music works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexex

Banned
okay more specifically, explain to me how 'hooks' work in pop / dance music. and in general how music works, in its effect, in general. the architecture of music. how does music become catchy. the rhyming and such. the 'infectious-ness'' of music. how does music have such an effect on how you feel. I experience it but don't quiet understand.

I tend to like music that has an upbeat 'sweet' feel like what is extremely commen in 80s pop & dance music. but I also love hard rock and 80s metal too. I never like the 90s 'alternative' rock. grunge rock. i dont like country, or 99.9& of rap. i hate folk music. i like dance, trance and some euro. i dont like punk rock. i like alot of Metalica's work. i like *some* of Lincoln Parks songs. I like Journey. I dont like Guns & Roses. I dont like Mariah Carrey except some of her oldest music. same with Whitney Houston. i liked Bobby Brown's 80s stuff. i cannot stand Britney Spears or such. I dont like most modern pop music. i frequently turn off the OTA radio stations. I will however listen to 95.1 FM 'WillRock' here in chicagoland. good station. but most of my listening is on live365.com or what i download.

rs7k

I suppose it has something to do with the pleasure centres within your brain. Maybe listening to some good music releases dopamine. Sound is an integral part of our life, and something that sounds good may have the same basic effect as something that feels good (i.e. sex), or something that tastes good (i.e., mmm cheesecake).

way more

Oliver Sacks, the neurologist guy, has written much on the effect music has on the mind. His ideas all include the belief that music effects the primative part of the brain and foregoes more advanced parts.
As a result of a brain tumor, my patient Greg has not been able to retain any new memories since the 1970s. But if we talk about or play his favorite Grateful Dead songs, his amnesia is bypassed. He becomes vividly animated and can reminisce about their early concerts.

Pretty cool. Maybe that helps.

xexex

Banned
rs7k said:
I suppose it has something to do with the pleasure centres within your brain. Maybe listening to some good music releases dopamine. Sound is an integral part of our life, and something that sounds good may have the same basic effect as something that feels good (i.e. sex), or something that tastes good (i.e., mmm cheesecake).

nice post. yes it has something to do with this. that's how music works on us.

I would also like to know how music itself is structured / built, to do this.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
xexex said:
I would also like to know how music itself is structured / built, to do this.
It all has to do with those certain notes, or certain lyrics that reach deep down into your soul and pull you back to the surface. That's why we always have favourite bands or favourite composers. I adore the shit out of Yoko Kanno because there are always those sad depressing short songs that she will pump out, regardless of series, and it will push me down and make me weep. Could be said towards Bach, especially his cello compositions. Or a certain way Thom Yorke will sing a lyric in a Radiohead song.

I may not create much music but I know what I like and songs that capture those certain few seconds are what makes it all magical. Other people will never know what part is your favourite or even understand why there is a favorite segment in your favourite song. I think that is why I adore music so much because as largely globalised it is, every culture dipping into the musical creation scene regardless of instrument.. it is still so very personal at the same time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It might be like how complementary color combinations create a resonance, a vibration in your eye. Certain chord progressions seem to do that too. That's why people can stand Brittney Spears, I guess.

xexex

Banned
speedpop said:
It all has to do with those certain notes, or certain lyrics that reach deep down into your soul and pull you back to the surface. That's why we always have favourite bands or favourite composers. I adore the shit out of Yoko Kanno because there are always those sad depressing short songs that she will pump out, regardless of series, and it will push me down and make me weep. Could be said towards Bach, especially his cello compositions. Or a certain way Thom Yorke will sing a lyric in a Radiohead song.

I may not create much music but I know what I like and songs that capture those certain few seconds are what makes it all magical. Other people will never know what part is your favourite or even understand why there is a favorite segment in your favourite song. I think that is why I adore music so much because as largely globalised it is, every culture dipping into the musical creation scene regardless of instrument.. it is still so very personal at the same time.

thanks for that post, this is closer to what i am looking for, as far as understanding how music works on us and also how it is made to do this. you are most certainly right that nobody will know exactly what part is our favorite in any given song. i think that is what you meant right. speaking of weeping, a few years ago i heard a song a had not heard for a long time, maybe i had only heard it a few times, it was 4PM's rendition of Sukiyaki and man did it make me weep like a baby. even for a few days. music can hit you so hard thats one thing i love about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom