• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon standoff: Unsolicited help flocks to Burns to 'assist' law enforcement

It's sad that locals and outsiders have done more than the FBI in getting these guys out of the refuge (except Rep. Dallas Heard, fuck that guy and his buddies).

Here's a pretty good who's who:

Faces of the Malheur occupation: Meet the militants and their visitors

Best one:

Michael Stettler

Stettler, 49, lives in the Lake County, Ore., community of Christmas Valley, according to The Washington Post. He told Reuters he took time from his job in a hardware store to visit the refuge and spent a night at the headquarters. Stettler told the Post that the Malheur occupiers seem to spend most of their time watching Fox News or on the phone with reporters. "These guys aren't hardened militia," he said. "Most of them couldn't even run a mile." A 2006 Califorina election guide provided by the non-profit SmartVoter listed Michael Kurt "Stetty" Stettler running for a congressional seat in Ventura County as an Independent. The candidate's description of himself included Navy veteran, musician, electrician, political activist, surfer and golfer; a large section of his personal statement was a poem.

danm999

Bundy owns Valet Fleet Service, a truck repair company that applied for a $530,000 loan from the federal Small Business Administration in 2010, and he is listed as a member of several other Arizona companies.

Oh of course.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
vGl7bsv.jpg

AzGcPYP.jpg

Well, if we hadn't reached farce, we're there now.
"May the farce be with you!"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So what are the employees who work there doing?

We have state representatives dropping by for a chat, against the advice of the FBI:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2016/01/oregon_standoff_roseburg_state.html

And the Pacific Patriot Network appears to be leaving after they delivered an "articles of resolution" document to the criminals who seized a federal building.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...cart_most-read_pacific-northwest-news_article

Like I said,

Oregon standoff: Unsolicited help flocks to Burns to 'assist' law enforcement

It's sad that locals and outsiders have done more than the FBI in getting these guys out of the refuge (except Rep. Dallas Heard, fuck that guy and his buddies).

Isn't the place closed the whole winter anyway ?

To the public, there are actually people who work there.

It surreal knowing that a group of brown people could never duplicate what is happening here. I gotta just not come back to this thread and let em have it. Keep the building forever and get mad respect for it. What's even more funny is that it is a giant waste of time causing the town money over absolutely nothing.

Slayven

It surreal knowing that a group of brown people could never duplicate what is happening here. I gotta just not come back to this thread and let em have it. Keep the building forever and get mad respect for it.

Brown people can't even fly on a plane without catching shit.

MikeDown

Banned
He could be a huge racist in private for all I know, but that Lavoy guy at least knows how to PR talk. There wasn't really any "gold" from him. They should probably have only him handle the media.
yes, he is white rancher so therefore it is safe to assume he is a racist. In fact he has to be a racist, no gun owning, old white guy could ever honestly have such a moderate opinion. Just look at the group he has fallen in with; safe to assume he holds more extreme views

vGl7bsv.jpg

AzGcPYP.jpg

Well, if we hadn't reached farce, we're there now.
what is this turning into lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So the lesson here is... if you can't afford housing, just take over a government building at gunpoint. All levels of government will let you live there with all utilities paid for free.

Quixzlizx

yes, he is white rancher so therefore it is safe to assume he is a racist. In fact he has to be a racist, no gun owning, old white guy could ever honestly have such a moderate opinion. Just look at the group he has fallen in with; safe to assume he holds more extreme views

I assumed this post was facetious until the last sentence, but now I'm just confused.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So why the government hasn't arrested these terrorists yet?
Because they've taken over something no one gives a shit about in the middle of nowhere probably. The last thing the government wants is another Waco or Ruby Ridge. They're content to just wait them out until the harsh winter makes most of the occupiers leave.

Because they've taken over something no one gives a shit about in the middle of nowhere probably. The last thing the government wants is another Waco or Ruby Ridge. They're content to just wait them out until the harsh winter makes most of the occupiers leave.

They could at the very least shut off power and stop them from driving into town to get supplies.

While I obviously don't want a Waco response, this kid's glove approach has been a joke.

pgtl_10

They won't leave if they keep getting supplies.

deadlast

Shouldn't the FBI been able to stop this before it happened? I thought the NSA watches people who talk lots of rhetoric? They should have seen this coming a mile away.

Piggus

Doesn't really do much if they're not even shutting down utilities and letting them restock supplies. The winters here aren't THAT harsh, but these losers wouldn't last long without power or water.

Doesn't really do much if they're not even shutting down utilities and letting them restock supplies. The winters here aren't THAT harsh, but these losers wouldn't last long without power or water.
It's possible they are waiting for the militia to make the next aggressive move. ANY aggression by the government (even shutting off utilities they are stealing) with only bolster the militia and earn them sympathy from other crazy people. It will also give the press something new to report on, thus keeping them in the news and giving them attention. The longer they stay there with absolutely nothing happening the better because they will just continue to become more of a joke. As long as they aren't hurting anyone just collect information to use on them later and let them keep digging themselves deeper.

besada

Banned
I posted a bad link to a satirical online newspaper. I've removed it so as not to fool others. It's difficult to tell what's farce and what's not when you have General Washington running around.

Shouldn't the FBI been able to stop this before it happened? I thought the NSA watches people who talk lots of rhetoric? They should have seen this coming a mile away.

The NSA actually only monitors communications to countries outside the U.S.

They have the ability to collect data from inside the U.S. for when they get a hit on someone inside the U.S. who is communicating with a foreign interest, but they don't monitor it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The NSA actually only monitors communications to countries outside the U.S.

They have the ability to collect data from inside the U.S. for when they get a hit on someone inside the U.S. who is communicating with a foreign interest, but they don't monitor it.
Do you actually believe this?

The Snowden info dump shows differently. "Lol just metadata"

Do you actually believe this?

The Snowden info dump shows differently. "Lol just metadata"

Snowden showed that they collect U.S. communications. Collecting is different from monitoring. The NSA has a very defined job, and spying on wholly domestic terrorists is not part of it.

Jackpot

Banned

But do you think they'll arrest them after they've dispersed from the lodge?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Now they're destroying stuff, and using the Fish and WIldlife's own equipment to do it.

aTtbtrz.jpg

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/oregon_standoff_bundy_militant.html

Militants presiding over an armed occupation of a federal bird sanctuary destroyed a portion of a fence Monday afternoon that they said was installed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – using the agency's own equipment.

The stunt was perhaps the militants' boldest yet since overtaking the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge earlier this month. Arizona businessman Ammon Bundy and his band of protesters traveled about five miles south of refuge headquarters to a property where they said a local ranching family grazes cattle.

Bundy, son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, said the Fish and Wildlife Service used a $100,000 grant to install the fence last year, preventing the family's 600 cattle from grazing on nearby public land.

"This will help them out, being able to run their ranch like they have in the past," Bundy said. The militants had permission from the family to destroy the fence, he added. "They actually showed us where they wanted it," Bundy said.

The militants removed barbed wire – Bundy with only his bare hands – and then used an excavator adorned with the Fish and Wildlife Service's logo to pluck stakes out of the ground. The group included Bundy's brother Ryan, Jon Ritzheimer, Ryan Payne, Blaine Cooper, Jason Patrick and Robert "LaVoy" Finicum.

"That's all that's needed for cows to go through," Finicum announced after the work was done. The militants removed about 25 or 30 yards of fence.

The Fish and Wildlife Service condemned the militants' actions in a written statement.

"In the century of [the] Malheur National Wildlife Refuge's existence, enormous effort has been displayed by partners, surrounding communities, ranchers and landowners to restore a devastated landscape," the statement reads. "Removing fences, damaging any refuge property, or unauthorized use of equipment would be additional unlawful actions by the illegal occupiers. Any movement of cattle onto the refuge or other activities that are not specifically authorized by [the Fish and Wildlife Service] constitutes trespassing.

"If they take down the fences, it hurts the refuge, but it also destroys the positive conservation impacts reaped from decades of direct collaboration and sweat equity paid by the Harney County (and surrounding) communities, ranchers, landowners, partners and friends."

The militants have advocated for the federal government to hand over public land in Harney County to local ranchers. The protesters destroyed the fence after Bundy announced in a morning press conference that they plan to continue the occupation until Harney County ranchers Dwight Hammond Jr. and his son, Steven, are free from federal prison.

The Hammonds were imprisoned last week after a judge ruled that they hadn't served long enough sentences for setting fires that spread to public land.

The Hammonds do not own the property where the militants destroyed the fence, Bundy said. It is not the same fence, Bundy said, that sparked a dispute between the Hammonds and the federal government in 1994.

Bundy seemed confident that the group's actions wouldn't result in any immediate response from law enforcement officials, who have remained low-profile and have adopted a "wait-them-out" approach to the situation.

"I don't think they want to do anything," Bundy said. "I think there's a lot of good people in the federal government who feel the same way as us."

Payne said the militants plan similar actions in the future.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Just as we though, give them leeway and they'll take it.

No more wait and see.. Sure it's only a fence... but give them an ich

PopeReal

So they freely traveled 5 miles to destroy a fence. They pretty much have free reign right now.

What a shit show. I get the wait them out approach but to not have them contained to one building while cutting off all routes of supplies (including more nut jobs) is crazy.

I don't understand why nothing is being done to folks publicly breaking the law like this. Being white seems to have major advantages to public crime, doesn't it?

I read an article eariler where they said they are going through the computer data to find evidence of the government's wrongdoing. They are basically thumbing their collective noses at the government at this point.

The endgame will be interesting to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom