• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDown

Banned
From the shits and giggles department, a list of supplies requested by the militant extremists in question:
qjlRYQi.jpg
what are they planing to do with women's thermal underwear?

I'll echo everyone elses sentiments and say it's maddening that they're still allowed to chill in that fucking place, asking for donations, when it could be so easy to get them out of there, without any kind of show of force. You apparently even have these fuckheads coming and going from the refuge, and even reports of the community being harassed, among other things.

It's fucking sickening after all the police state shit we've seen in the past years that these fucking yokels are making requests that will be met by someone.

Goddamn I fear for the muslim ten who decide to repeat this same experiment in another state.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It's fucking sickening after all the police state shit we've seen in the past years that these fucking yokels are making requests that will be met by someone.

Goddamn I fear for the muslim ten who decide to repeat this same experiment in another state.

Entire state would become a potential nuke area.

I did a quick thread search and didn't see anybody talk about it but the latest episode of Dan Carlin's Common Sense podcast (the not Hardcore History one) talks about this among other things.

I sort of half listened to it while working but he doesn't seem to buy the race angle. He says that the government is handling it different because they botched two major similar standoffs with the same sorts of anti-government people (Waco and Ruby Ridge) which became part of the inspiration for the Oklahoma City bombing.

For myself it's almost too glaring of a thing though when black protestors have the armored carriers brought out while these armed dudes have almost nothing. The situations aren't a direct 1-1 with the only difference being race though but it paints a terrible picture. This is probably the ideal way to handle the situation rather than escalating it like other agencies did during Waco, Ruby Ridge, and recent protests. This way will probably end peaceably while the other way ends in anger, violation of rights, and the needless loss of life.

Seriously, what's the fucking plan here. I understand not wanting another Waco, but there's got to be more going on than, "let's go shake their hands and ask if they'll leave."

From the shits and giggles department, a list of supplies requested by the militant extremists in question:
qjlRYQi.jpg

I love how they act like illegally taking over government land with guns and human shields and a will to actively die is the same as going to the lodge at Tahoe.

Dabanton

What they should do is go and join these guys up there. Take some supplies and dig in. I'm sure the militia would have no problem sharing their protest.

commedieu

Banned
I did a quick thread search and didn't see anybody talk about it but the latest episode of Dan Carlin's Common Sense podcast (the not Hardcore History one) talks about this among other things.

I sort of half listened to it while working but he doesn't seem to buy the race angle. He says that the government is handling it different because they botched two major similar standoffs with the same sorts of anti-government people (Waco and Ruby Ridge) which became part of the inspiration for the Oklahoma City bombing.

For myself it's almost too glaring of a thing though when black protestors have the armored carriers brought out while these armed dudes have almost nothing. The situations aren't a direct 1-1 with the only difference being race though but it paints a terrible picture. This is probably the ideal way to handle the situation rather than escalating it like other agencies did during Waco, Ruby Ridge, and recent protests. This way will probably end peaceably while the other way ends in anger, violation of rights, and the needless loss of life.

You don't need to buy the race angle. Its not for sale. Its a fact that the brown population suffers from Zero Tolerance & Executions. Lets be crystal clear here. In America, brown people are executed for j-walking, or selling illegal cigarettes, or, walking. That is the fact of this country.

This is not some grand scheme by the FBI's new "hands off" program. This is the justice system being able to recognize that these asshats aren't a threat. The problem is, it is inherent that this same justice system sees all people of color as immediate threats that need to be put down. The sheriff doesn't fear for his life, as he would if it were a pack of negros inside. The data shows that much, as people of color are executed for trivial matters.

This is the glaring double standard. The justice system can easily assess a threat when its white. When its black, its shoot first, lie on your report, paid vacation, and a go-fund-me when the video surfaces.

Its unbelievable to read that its an issue for you to buy, or to not buy. The entire population of color knows full well what would happen to them if they tried this. You can't ignore that, because its based on precedent. Everyone isn't making things up...

We've had stand offs since Waco and Ruby Ridge. This is neither one of those instances, there is a middle ground. This is acting as if the only two options are
1. Do Nothing.
original.0

Power isn't off, they are free to roam, they are breaking more laws. None of this would be happening if they were brown, that is the state of americas police state right now.

Seriously, what's the fucking plan here. I understand not wanting another Waco, but there's got to be more going on than, "let's go shake their hands and ask if they'll leave."

There is no plan. The feds don't care, and the sheriff is really liking his time in the spotlight and the positive media he's getting for being so "pacifist"...aka doing nothing (this is a win-win for him and he doesn't need to make any tough decisions).

Law enforcement isn't fired up enough to do anything. There's no message to send to others like them, there's no status quo to aggressively uphold. The reality is that they and people like them really can do this anytime they want, it's just that nobody had tried to do it before.

This is not some grand scheme by the FBI's new "hands off" program. This is the justice system being able to recognize that these asshats aren't a threat. The problem is, it is inherent that this same justice system sees all people of color as immediate threats that need to be put down. The sheriff doesn't fear for his life, as he would if it were a pack of negros inside. The data shows that much, as people of color are executed for trivial matters.

Yeah, I'm really dying to see details on this brand-spanking new American law enforcement "hands off" tactic. Because I certainly didn't hear it from any politician or any police union or any government body of any sort. It wasn't discussed or considered or even hinted at in the aftermath of all the other incidents of police brutality and overreaction.

You know, it made sense when people said even if they were brown/black, we wouldn't be seeing any kind of force. Maybe that's absolutely true, who can really say for sure but after reports of these "militia" members being free to chill the fuck out where the want to, outside of the refuge, and apparent uses of harassment, intimidation and vandalism, I REALLY don't think we would STILL be seeing a "response" so goddamn lax.

Well, at least a judge said, Ammon Bundy will be seeing some huge fines after this is done, but good luck getting this dude to pay anyfuckingthing.

Was this posted?

Teen chokes up at town meeting asking Bundy to leave: ‘I shouldn’t have to be scared in my own hometown’

“I am 15 and I’m a freshman in high school,” Presley began, choking up before she could finish her first sentence.

The freshman took a deep breath and continued: “Being here with all this honestly has scared me. And it shouldn’t.”

READ MORE: Oregon judge plans to bill Ammon Bundy up to $70,000 a day for security costs to county

“I should not have to be scared in my own hometown,” Presley said. “I know that all of my friends have been scared and have come to me to know what to do.”

The 15-year-old, who is the daughter of a local judge, explained that she tells her friends “everything is going to be okay.”

“I shouldn’t have to be scared, and none of us in Harney County should have to be scared in our hometown,” she concluded, wiping tears from her face.

lawnchair

Banned
You don't need to buy the race angle. Its not for sale. Its a fact that the brown population suffers from Zero Tolerance & Executions. Lets be crystal clear here. In America, brown people are executed for j-walking, or selling illegal cigarettes, or, walking. That is the fact of this country.

This is the glaring double standard. The justice system can easily assess a threat when its white. When its black, its shoot first, lie on your report, paid vacation, and a go-fund-me when the video surfaces.

Its unbelievable to read that its an issue for you to buy, or to not buy. The entire population of color knows full well what would happen to them if they tried this. You can't ignore that, because its based on precedent. Everyone isn't making things up...

We've had stand offs since Waco and Ruby Ridge. This is neither one of those instances, there is a middle ground. This is acting as if the only two options are
1. Do Nothing.
original.0

Power isn't off, they are free to roam, they are breaking more laws. None of this would be happening if they were brown, that is the state of americas police state right now.

yes to all this

Each time I see an update in this thread I hope this debacle is over and these morons are put in their place, and I end up leaving shaking my head.

1. Do Nothing.
original.0

I was just describing what I felt like Dan Carlin's position was after listening to the podcast as he is someone who has covered a lot of these incidents in the past and also lives relatively close to the area. It's just a different angle to explain the situation.

You could see it as proof that the 2nd Amendment is valid. These people believe the government has violated their rights, armed themselves, and took over a federal building. And because they are armed the government is hesitating to make a such an overt move as just destroying them. It's the Constitution working as intended from that point of view.

I don't know exactly how I feel about the whole situation. I'm glad no one is really getting hurt and on a personal level none of this affects me but I wouldn't want to see more of this happen because of the seemingly lax way it is being handled.

This is getting ridiculous.

Sheriff handling Oregon standoff denounces intimidation of law enforcement

Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward accused militias Monday of harassing law enforcement officials and federal employees. Though there haven't been physical threats, he said, the alleged behavior is clearly meant to intimidate.

An armed group led by Ammon Bundy, calling itself the Citizens for Constitutional Freedom, has since Jan. 2 occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge near Burns. The group has demanded that control of the refuge's land be handed over to locals. The Sheriff has offered the group an opportunity to leave peacefully, but they have declined.

Since the occupation began, there have been reports of law enforcement being followed home or watched, Sheriff Ward said in a written statement. A recent call to action by one of the groups drew many more people to Harney County, and the intimidating behavior continued, he said.

Although the sheriff did not identify any specific groups or individuals, the Pacific Patriot Network, a coalition of anti-government groups, put out a statement Jan. 7 urging its members to come to the wildlife refuge.

One of the network's founders bristled at the idea that his organization could be responsible for harassing law enforcement.

"That's not anything we tolerate and its not anything that we're doing," Joseph Rice said.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife employees have told the Sheriff that they've been approached by self-styled militia members while grocery shopping or running errands with their families. The militia members would "engage employees and family members in debates about their status as Federal employees," Sheriff Ward said.

"The people on the refuge – and those who they have called to our community – obviously have no consideration for the wishes or needs of the people of Harney County," Sheriff Ward said. "If they did, they, too, would work to bring this situation to a peaceful close."

While it's unclear which groups or individuals Ward is referring to, Rice said he has had an open and friendly dialogue with law enforcement. And if he was to discover one a Pacific Patriot Network member doing that, he or she would be barred from any future activities involving the organization, Rice said.

"Unequivocally, it's not our people," he said.

Ward urged people in the community to take measures to ensure their own safety. Among the suggested safety measures: Be aware of vehicles following them; Don't open the door for unknown people; Be alert to unusual vehicles parked near your residence.

The sheriff asked those with concerns about harassment or intimidation to report what they see to the Sheriff's office.

More at the link. Seriously, how are these guys not just pulled over when they leave the refuge and put under arrest? People shouldn't be getting harassed by these fucktards going to the store, or at their homes.

I guess them having access to an arsenal has made it easier for them to occupy and terrorize for as long as they possibly can, without a repercussion in immediate sight but I'm not sure how that's a net positive in favor of the 2nd amendment. (also, they would get absolutely annihilated if they started wilding out with their pew pew weaponry, and no one needs that kind of fucking headache)

More at the link. Seriously, how are these guys not just pulled over when they leave the refuge and put under arrest? People shouldn't be getting harassed by these fucktards going to the store, or at their homes.

So basically the Sheriff is trying his best to do anything but call a duck a duck.

He's treating people getting threatened like it's a case of a few raccoons loose in the area.

It's seriously going to take someone dying, isn't it?

And I love how the militia's mindset is essentially "all we need to do is walk up to them and they will quit their jobs".

PopeReal

But but Waco. Or something.

Seriously arrest these fuckers. They come and go as they please. You don't need a Waco style siege here. Arrest them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lHarney County Sheriff Dave Ward accused militias Monday of harassing law enforcement officials and federal employees. Though there haven't been physical threats, he said, the alleged behavior is clearly meant to intimidate.

Well, I for one, am deeply shocked that a group of armed men who have said multiple times that they plan on killing law enforcement officials would resort to such tactics.

Btw, a judge in that city says he plans on fining these morons $70k for every day they're occupying this place. Which sounds nice and all, until you realize that Cliven Bundy owes over a million dollars, and doesn't appear to be paying up any time soon.

commedieu

Banned
I was just describing what I felt like Dan Carlin's position was after listening to the podcast as he is someone who has covered a lot of these incidents in the past and also lives relatively close to the area. It's just a different angle to explain the situation.

You could see it as proof that the 2nd Amendment is valid. These people believe the government has violated their rights, armed themselves, and took over a federal building. And because they are armed the government is hesitating to make a such an overt move as just destroying them. It's the Constitution working as intended from that point of view.

I don't know exactly how I feel about the whole situation. I'm glad no one is really getting hurt and on a personal level none of this affects me but I wouldn't want to see more of this happen because of the seemingly lax way it is being handled.

Yeah no worries, I was just pointing out how absurd his position is, and how much of a double standard exists in America.

giphy.gif

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well, I for one, am deeply shocked that a group of armed men who have said multiple times that they plan on killing law enforcement officials would resort to such tactics.

Btw, a judge in that city says he plans on fining these morons $70k for every day they're occupying this place. Which sounds nice and all, until you realize that Cliven Bundy owes over a million dollars, and doesn't appear to be paying up any time soon.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/malheur-refuge-occupiers-cutting-fences-going-through-files/37377694

Hey, I'm all for bleeding them dry and then arresting them.

Gattsu25

Banned

I mean, obviously they are not trying to terrorize people and their families for their deeply held anti-government beliefs.

So what do we call these guys?

Intimidationists?
instilling Fear of Violencists?
Threatening Stalkerists?

Koomaster

So they're receiving mail/packages while there?
I mean at this point the sheriff has basically allowed them to claim this place as their own. Maybe throw rugs weren't such a weird request since this is basically their home now... that they pay nothing to live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom