• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exxon pipeline leaks thousands of barrels of Canadian oil in Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

If an American pipeline carrying Canadian oil breaks, and an American train carrying Canadian oil derails, the common theme isn't Canadian oil, it's insufficient American maintenance.

Inspect your infrastructure! Canadian oil is not magically cursed.

Next thing you know, the Golden Gate Bridge is going to fall down while a tanker truck full of Canadian oil happens to be crossing it, and you're going to blame the tanker truck.

If an American pipeline carrying Canadian oil breaks, and an American train carrying Canadian oil derails, the common theme isn't Canadian oil, it's insufficient American maintenance.

Next thing you know, the Golden Gate Bridge is going to fall down while a tanker truck full of Canadian oil happens to be crossing it, and you're going to blame the tanker truck.
Ya, but when you add 'Canadian' to a headline, it sounds like it isn't Americans fault.

Celine Dion and Bieber? Ok... our bad.

But our cursed oil isn't to be blamed here.

giga

These events are no coincidence. This pipeline didn't just happen to break. This train didn't just happen to derail. All signs point to foreign espionage operations. Not surprising, with so many jealous of our shale reserves and unbagged milk.

Those houses look pretty nice. If they're at all smart home owners they'll be getting more than a few thousand.

Nah Exxon will probably sue to avoid paying like all the good job creating oil companies are doing these dyas.

Or

Maybe these people shouldn't have built houses so near an oil pipeline.

Pretty sure they'll drag our Prime Minister in front of congress to accept our collective shame and offer a sincere and polite apology. I just hope they fixed that oil leak in the PM's limo before he makes the drive down to Washington.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
* Second spill in the United States involving crude from Canada this week

What was the first?

Also ugh. Some of that oil is going to seep into the ground water systems isn't it? I really wish we could stop using oil and other non-renewable energy sources but it simply isn't gonna happen. :/

cajunator

Banned
I swear they do this shit on purpose as an excuse to raise gas prices.

LOL.

No. They don't have to do this. What the companies do (I dispatch fuel trucks for a living) is hold back allocation, which is the amount of supply of fuel allotted to various company accounts, which drives up the price. There is an ample supply of crude oil itself and the refineries are working fine. The holdup is on the fuel supply side. Allocation has been bad since the 20th of this month or so, and normally it doesnt have significant problems until the end of the month. they are holding supply back on purpose to start the price going up into the summer. Its bullshit.

vxXn57p.gif

Redford

aka Cabbie
Leave it to America to blame us for their own incompetence. Sigh. Welp, don't worry, I'm en route with a bucket via floating log.

This is why pipelines should be buried. That way, if they leak, it'll just invisibly leech contaminants into the groundwater instead of creating an eyesore that just bums everyone out.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So, how's this Canada's fault again? Exxon is an American corporation, who built and maintained a pipeline in the United States that ruptured. Not our bloody problem.

andycapps

Well, it probably would help bring down the cost of fuel. But at what cost environmentally?

I wish I was one of those homeowners. And I'm pretty sure that this would have to be covered by Exxon. This isn't a natural disaster, it's a disaster caused by Exxon. They'll get paid.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I'm sure Exxon really felt the sting from that 1.7 million dollar fine.

However will they come up with that kind of money?

They'll spend more than 1.7m to fight ever having to pay that fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom