• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eye fatige and dry eyes during gaming

Amirai

Also, what the previous guy said about brightness. All my PC/Phone/Tablet screens are down to pretty much minimum or down as far as viewable!

Careful not to turn the brightness too far - I've read that insufficient brightness to the point where the screen becomes difficult to read causes eye strain too.

system11

The trend for ... very soft images with multiple types of hideous blur/noise effects are definitely making my eyes tired in a way older games (still) don't. The Order 1886 I could only play for half an hour at a time. Bloodborne looked so awful I didn't even try.

TheBoss1

I recently started having this problem but idk if it's because I'm playing MGS non-stop or the ton of overtime I was getting over the past 2 weeks. Either way I've been getting way less rest so hopefully it changes because it gets so irritated that my eyes start to run when I'm finally resting them.

pkisfaludi

Neophyte
Lataley I feel some degree of eye fatige at long or extended gaming sessions , also on my work use my laptop a lot. I do not have a problem with my visual accuracy but at eh end of the day my eyes feel like they "burn" /irritated and look like this :

eye_diseases_and_cond_s9_eye_allergies.jpg

A friend that also plays videogames told mento get a gaming glasess , specifically a GUNNAR brand ones.

300555-gunnar-optiks-ppk-digital-performance-eyewear.jpg

I have seen some people on Twich with those glasess , do they really work? Or what other recommendations you have to avoid dry eyes besides reduce time in front of PC/TV , is it there any kind of TV calibration that could help on this issue? How many hours do you play daily ?

Thanks

Other recommendation would be to try to blink enough. Now, you can do it by trying hard, or setting a reminder for yourself. Also, there are applications like EyeLeo that will remind you time to time. Another approach is to use an app like VisionProtect that will track your blink rate and notify if you don't blink enough. I used to have dry and red eyes, and blinking enough really helped.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm coming up on my 2nd eye exam in over 10+ years. My first visit they prescribed me a pair of glasses with blue light blocker. The doctor said that they are looking at the computer and IT field now more than ever. It's a low prescription, but the glasses have made my eyes feel better. I use them when I'm gaming on my phone, using my Vita or Switch.

They aren't yellow either. They have a purpleish blue tint to them.

When I was a kid my eyes would get blood shot, but that went away over time. As an adult they'd just dry up if I was using a handheld or something.

Blam

The only place this doesn't happen for me is when I'm in VR. I'd assume because I'm moving my eyes around so much it's just like I'm moving it around normally.

Endokin

Neo Member
I've been using gunnars for almost 6 years now, the price is defiantly worth it. I used to get headaches all the time as well as dry eyes, but not anymore! I've stepped on them, dropped them, bent them, but they still work and look good. Only thing I've noticed is there some type of film that over time has slowly came off on the lenses over the years, so I'm due for another pair, actually wear them 24/7 as I need prescriptions anyways.

Try and bathe your eyes with warm (not hot) water, close your eyes and press gently with a warm wet ball of cotton or flannel.

Good sleep helps too

makaveli60

Thanks for the topic bump and to everyone who has contributed. I have just been to the doctor this week about this problem, because I have been working for 3 months now all day long on computer and it kills my eyes, but I've read here a lot of good advices besides what the doctor said.

Last edited:

lukilladog

PWM free monitor fixed it for me, cheap vga crt and tft lcd sucked, pwm led sucked even more. 3 years now, pure comfort.

Grimmrobe

I use glasses with a blue light filter too. I don't use them at all in day to day life, but I find they stop me from getting blurry vision if I've been sat in front of a monitor for a very long time. Also they help me sleep better.

I love seeing friends come over and play Rock Band cause people swear up and down that they dont blink not realizing that actually refreshes your eye.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
People are not meant to get more then 2hrs of screen time a day, but for many that is impossible, so Like most have already said, I would take a 20 min break every 2hrs.

Rodolink

I also suffer dry eyes from many years, oftalmologist said the following considerations.
it depends on many factors:
-never play in darkness
-brightness of screen should be almost the same as the room it is
-special eyedrops to lubricate eyes
-play for no more than 1 hour (consecutively, which is hard for us since we love games) and do eye excercises in between
-rest at least 15 min every hour

Rayderism

I don't know if you drink energy drinks or not, but I've found that they tend to dry out my eyes out for some reason. So if you drink those, stop and try switching to just standard caffeine drinks (if you MUST have your caffeine) as opposed to energy drinks with guarana, taurine, or excessive niacin. I've done many personal experiments with this and for me, the energy drinks cause my eyes to burn and itch and get a build up of a gritty "sleepy dirt" in my eyes if you drink too many of them. Large glasses of ice-water will help them clear the fastest, though it will still not fix it instantly.

Estocolmo

I always have a bottle of water besides me when I sit and game. I feel that it helps having a drink of water every now and then.

Top Bottom