• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eye of Judgement IGN Review!!!!!!!!1

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/827/827260p2.html

"As we've mentioned above, Eye of Judgment will appeal to a very, very select audience, but that audience will get a lot of enjoyment out of the title. I personally had a great time with it, although not everyone in the office had the same reaction. Take this into account before investing the money, but we can say with confidence that this is a fun card game that, if in the hands of card lovers, will be rather well received.

Now go do some Judging."

9.0 Presentation
Impressive attention to detail, rad opening, and sweet cards. Eye of Judgment was designed with presentation in mind.
7.5 Graphics
Nice visuals make the creatures really come to life, and the fantastical environments look great.
7.5 Sound
Intense metal music throughout; we liked it - you may not. Some of the creature voices are fun, while others are a little forced.
7.5 Gameplay
A great card dynamic that works well with the PlayStation Eye. Lack of a story mode is a real letdown, though.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
This really depends on how long you like playing card games, but be weary of the lack of single-player options.

Kittonwy

Banned
WTF kind of story mode is IGN expecting this to have? And WTF kind of graphics does it have to have for a game like this to score higher?
Indifferent2.gif

jax (old)

Banned
I read that review yesterday. NICHE is the word they used. I agree.

interest = 0 here.

I think the setup + eyetoy thing + ps3 makes it too expensive for its intended market (kids).

Kariido

Banned
In my opinion thats a excellent score for this type of game. Nice job Sony. I know Eye of Judgment will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Amir0x said:
This is aimed at KIDS? I mean, maybe Pokemon Card game is, but Magic and this seem more aimed at teens+

I consider teens to be kids

but that's because I'm a bitter old man

Kittonwy

Banned
Jax said:

interest = 0 here.

I think the setup + eyetoy thing + ps3 makes it too expensive for its intended market (kids).

Yeah but the kids that grew up with Yugioh are pretty old now, they ain't kids no more. The EOJ package is only slightly more expensive than a regular game.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Yeah but the kids that grew up with Yugioh are pretty old now, they ain't kids no more. The EOJ package is only slightly more expensive than a regular game.
Indifferent2.gif

Exactly, plus the camera will be used for other games and other things...all and all it is a great price.
I mean how many people bought the eyetoy and the live vision for less incentive than this.

dfyb

Banned
Jax said:

interest = 0 here.

it's only $10 more than any other ps3 game. kids aren't the only target for ccg.

Speevy

Banned
I really enjoy MTG.

My only reluctance to get this game comes from the idea that it could be Magic for kids.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Good score coming from IGN...
Dan Dan Fan Fan Hsu Shoe from 1UP also made a editor blog about it:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8435268&publicUserId=5379799

It's cool, though. If you can get over your own insecurities (or just try playing this game online in the privacy of your own home), you'll find a very unique videogame here. Yes, it's totally gimmicky, but it works. I can't get into it too much here because the next issue of EGM will have our three reviews. Keep a nonjudgmental eye out for this one.

Pretty positive impressions so far. Good news for people who enjoy card games.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I have it preordered for 59.99 at amazon.. i'm not sure what i'm going to do...

dfyb

Banned
Suikoguy said:
I have it preordered for 59.99 at amazon.. i'm not sure what i'm going to do...
i'm in the same situation and i just thought of something... if i was a real dick, i could buy it on launch day from a store. then i could return the unopened copy from amazon to the store to get my $69 back... any faults with this plan?

It sucks that cheaters will be able to print images of cards they dont own, and the camera reads them just fine. Which I know is unavoidable, but since I don't know many people with a PS3, online was the real draw for me. I would like to pick it up eventually, but not until I have some PS3-owning friends. I sure as hell wouldn't play against strangers.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
It sucks that cheaters will be able to print images of cards they dont own, and the camera reads them just fine. Which I know is unavoidable, but since I don't know many people with a PS3, online was the real draw for me. I would like to pick it up eventually, but not until I have some PS3-owning friends. I sure as hell wouldn't play against strangers.

I have been following that closely, and as of now there is no word on that.
But this is honestly the one thing that makes me hesitant, because people always have to ruin things by cheating.

tehbear

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

I thought there was infrared sensitive ink to prevent this. Could have swore I heard that.

dfyb

Banned
tehbear said:
I thought there was infrared sensitive ink to prevent this. Could have swore I heard that.
there are measures to prevent it, but i think it would be foolish to say its impossible.

also, keep in mind that your friends don't have to own a ps3 to play with you. if they are RL friends, all they need are cards and they can come to your place.

Wollan

People with copied cards won't be able to cheat in gameplay though. Sure they will probably have most cards so they have more options to build a deck from initially but the game knows what cards you have and chooses randomly for you which you have to use. Cards are further dividied up by class ( 1 to 3) and Mana cost.

tehbear

Wollan said:
People with copied cards won't be able to cheat in gameplay though. Sure they will probably have most cards so they have more options to build a deck from initially but the game knows what cards you have and chooses randomly for you which you have to use. Cards are further dividied up by class ( 1 to 3) and Mana cost.

Yeah that can't be any worse than my cheap friends who proxied half his deck.

Kittonwy

Banned
dfyb said:
there are measures to prevent it, but i think it would be foolish to say its impossible.

also, keep in mind that your friends don't have to own a ps3 to play with you. if they are RL friends, all they need are cards and they can come to your place.

Yeah you can just host an EOJ party (a "FUCKING BEAT TEH SHIT OUT OF ME AND STUFF ME IN A FUCKING LOCKER" NERD PARTY but a party nonetheless).
Indifferent2.gif

OokieSpookie said:
I have been following that closely, and as of now there is no word on that.
But this is honestly the one thing that makes me hesitant, because people always have to ruin things by cheating.

There's no word on that? It's right in the IGN review... sounds like they tried it, or they're just making stuff up again.

The only flaw in this system we could find was that the game will mistake a high-quality, color copy of a card for the real deal, meaning a sneaky gamer could print off pictures of cards they don't have and duel online with those. While this is regrettable, it doesn't necessarily damage the gameplay, since they still have to follow the rules when actually engaged in a match - they just don't own the cards they're using.

Also...

Wollan said:

So what? If cheaters are using color copies of cards, the very cards that I would have to go out and buy many many many packs of to get the rare stuff, that sucks all sorts of ass. So cheaters have access to any and all cards they could ever want. Even the uber rare stuff. No, there is no positive way to spin that, but you gave it a nice try.

Xisiqomelir

Oh god, it really does say "but be weary of the lack of single-player options". I understand that there's no room on the payroll for editors, but surely a proofreader is an easy hire for a media site.

So what? If cheaters are using color copies of cards, the very cards that I would have to go out and buy many many many packs of to get the rare stuff, that sucks all sorts of ass. So cheaters have access to any and all cards they could ever want. Even the uber rare stuff. No, there is no positive way to spin that, but you gave it a nice try.

So do you actually, you just buy them off of ebay instead of copying. Plus I'm pretty sure photocopying some cards will be actually more expensive than just buying them. Plus you can always trade.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anyone remember the good old Battle Chess game?

LmzGMkofL.gif

It would be cool if they released a new Battle Chess game that took adavantage of the PS3 camera :)

i love how they say that since the intro animation is so amazing, it should have had a single player campaign. WOW had an amazing intro too, it needs single player asap or it sucks.

test_account said:
Anyone remember the good old Battle Chess game?

LmzGMkofL.gif

It would be cool if they released a new Battle Chess game that took adavantage of the PS3 camera :)

I would kill a few people if it meant getting a high def version of Battle Chess with online play for the PSN and Live

Top Bottom