• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-16 Makes First Unmanned Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/09/first-qf-16-target-drone-flies-without-pilot/

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/24/23550/

qf-16-no-pilot.jpg

caramelldansen-starscream-o.gif

Starscream colors

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Considering that the vast majority of generals are former pilots with massive egos and the technology/science required for the exact precision of an unmanned drone dogfight to match a manned pilot is decades upon decades away, this shit will never catch on, short of Congress unilarity passing a law making them and even then, they'll find loopholes to make sure the change is as slow as humanly possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tech picked up steam somewhere else first tbh

You're absolutely right about the egos though. Its almost comical.

Kreunt

Banned
they should do this to f-111's and have them fly around the world doing dump n burns.
i miss the f-111's :(

Watevaman

F22's can pull 9Gs on hard turns with conscious pilots. Imagine scarier.

I'm pretty sure the 9G limit is a structural load limit. As in, unless they design a new plane that can take a heavier stress, then you'll never be able to turn pushing more than 9Gs.

But, I may be wrong.

akira28

*shrugs*
as long as they don't shoot down these beauties...

That is an iconic plane. But someone did say earlier in thread that US military decommissioned and scrapped most of their f-14s.

I say they should have atleast tried to convert them into mechabots or something.

I'm pretty sure the 9G limit is a structural load limit. As in, unless they design a new plane that can take a heavier stress, then you'll never be able to turn pushing more than 9Gs.

But, I may be wrong.

You are. The F-22 itself can take itself far beyond 9Gs. 9G is the theoretical HUMAN limit (unless we have augmentations down the line inside the bloodstream that increases this limit). The Raptor itself has built in sensors that make sure the pilot, no mattter how much he tries goes beyond G-Forces that will, ultimately, cause his/her death.

And ironically enough, our current drones can't take Gs for shit, at least when compared to our manned fighters both human and theoretical structural limits.

Mobius 1

Bad news.. The fucking Navy scrapped almost all of the Tomcats since Iran also uses them.

Like literally chopped them into pieces and melted them down.

/salute

What the fuck did they think the Iranians were going to do? Waltz in the desert storage and tow the mothballed Tomcats away?

2443436-big-boss-salute.jpg

Watevaman

You are. The F-22 itself can take itself far beyond 9Gs. 9G is the theoretical HUMAN limit (unless we have augmentations down the line inside the bloodstream that increases this limit). The Raptor itself has built in sensors that make sure the pilot, no mattter how much he tries goes beyond G-Forces that will, ultimately, cause his/her death.

And ironically enough, our current drones can't take Gs for shit, at least when compared to our manned fighters both human and theoretical structural limits.

Just curious then, what is the load limit for the structure? At what G level will the wings break at their joint or otherwise compromise the integrity of the plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom