• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F Direct Weekly #29: PS5 Firmware Perf Boost? Gran Turismo 7 Online/RT, Intel GPU Performance!

LordOfChaos

Ok, this is what I had been wondering if I was imagining! The latest system software does seem a little bit more performant, I had even posted before about how it was faster than prior generations and pretty fast, but still not quite as perfectly responsive as I had imagined from a 3.2GHz Zen 2 and fast SSD console if you compare the UI to just a basic iPad or something. Games with unlocked framerates are running slightly faster than before, so it seems likely parts of the core system did get tuneups, which might help all aspects.

sircaw

Banned

Ok, this is what I had been wondering if I was imagining! The latest system software does seem a little bit more performant, I had even posted before about how it was faster than prior generations and pretty fast, but still not quite as perfectly responsive as I had imagined from a 3.2GHz Zen 2 and fast SSD console if you compare the UI to just a basic iPad or something. Games with unlocked framerates are running slightly faster than before, so it seems likely parts of the core system did get tuneups, which might help all aspects.

God, i wish they would stop putting their faces on their videos. "lollipop_disappointed:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
2-3% faster performance in RT games.

I know the new Xbox firmwares also gave that game a boost. Alex should redo his testing and see if the 16% average performance differential holds.

SlimySnake

Also, Richard once again confirms that the PS5 SoC does indeed run hotter. 4 degrees. The motherboard and RAM modules run cooler, but the heatsink that cools the SoC clearly is not able to cool it like the bigger launch edition. I cant believe people gave Austin Evans death threats over this.

His testing methodoligy while not entirely accurate produced results that showed a 4 degrees. The SoC runs 4 degrees hotter. People owe him an apology.

Awesome. Free performance is always good.
Also, Richard once again confirms that the PS5 SoC does indeed run hotter. 4 degrees. The motherboard and RAM modules run cooler, but the heatsink that cools the SoC clearly is not able to cool it like the bigger launch edition. I cant believe people gave Austin Evans death threats over this.

His testing methodoligy while not entirely accurate produced results that showed a 4 degrees. The SoC runs 4 degrees hotter. People owe him an apology.
Are you ready for what you started?hahaha

We're still doing this? Ok

michael jordan laughing GIF

Topher

Gold Member

Star Trek GIF

It won't happen but I agree the whole response to his video was overblown. Jimmy Champane, the guy who did the video with him, was saying how crazy the whole thing was on the ILP. He talked about how Austin gave glowing praise to the PS5 in his initial impressions video. Far cry from the Youtuber who was trying to take out Sony narrative in some circles. People need to relax.

assurdum

Banned

I mean you really want to debate again what Austin tried to really argue? Because it wasn't just that.

Last edited:

FranXico

I can't believe people still blindly believe "voices of authority" and are unable of thinking for themselves.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
God, i wish they would stop putting their faces on their videos. "lollipop_disappointed:
There are some addons to remove, change the thumbnail like clickbait remover. They sadly do not work with embedded videos. But If you have uBlock Origins, head to the video page of any channel and use the pick element tool.

Select any video and remove every thumbnail by adding, block i.ytimg.com (even the embedded video ones).
kH3Cfbw.png
RWaihZo.png

People owe him an apology.

EYE EM WERI CLOS ....
h6KrWE6.png
hockey ba GIF

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Just stop please. We're over this crap. Thorough tests were done to show they're both similar and basically a nothing burger. I don't know why you're bringing this up again. We've had enough.

SlimySnake

Just stop please. We're over this crap. Thorough tests were done to show they're both similar and basically a nothing burger. I don't know why you're bringing this up again. We've had enough.
It’s one of the topics of the video.

The basic fact is that the new heat sink is smaller and makes the soc run 4 degrees hotter. Austin Evan’s was right and people who trashed him here and on Twitter need to grow some balls and admit they were wrong.

Top Bottom