• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F is for Family |OT| Bill Burr puts the F back in Family. On Netflix Dec. 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Not even a chuckle at men's restroom scene? Or Bill under his parent's bed? Or Mr. Potato head? Or that Diaper kid summerizing that episode of Colt Lugar for Frank after the fire?

Although I agree that it's not a laugh out loud kind of show, I still got a satisfying amusment out of it. It's weird.

Nope nada. Not even a chuckle.

KalBalboa

Banned
I was pretty into it. Liked the ending and hope for more.

It's been a while since I've felt a slow-burn animated sitcom a la King of the Hill.

Kas

Not even a chuckle at men's restroom scene? Or Bill under his parent's bed? Or Mr. Potato head? Or that Diaper kid summerizing that episode of Colt Lugar for Frank after the fire?

Although I agree that it's not a laugh out loud kind of show, I still got a satisfying amusment out of it. It's weird.
I don't know what you mean by not laugh out loud, because I lost it at the dinner scene after Bill was under the bed.

The Kevin parts are pretty great, though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was looking up stuff about Bill's dad, just seeing if there were any stories from his sets about the guy, and I found this clip from a storytelling revue from over a decade ago that is actually pretty emotional. He tells about a time where his dad fucked with him pretty bad, and he gets pretty choked up. Boy...

http://youtu.be/S8Ho1WWDECM

Nope nada. Not even a chuckle.
Do you chuckle at King of the Hill? This is key to knowing where you're coming from, a lot of people think that show isn't funny.

King of the hill and I have a relationship where most of the time I'm not laughing but I loved the charm of the show so much I didn't have to laugh to enjoy it.

Abounder

Banned
Love Billy Burr but this show is a solid 7, I'm not a fan of the art direction (looks so cheap compared to say The Critic, and the character designs like little Bill's friends feels like it belongs in another show) but it had enough for me to watch another season and the voice acting is good.

Nosgotham

I really really liked this season. For the first time in my life I have true emotions for cartoon characters. This isn't like the Simpsons or king of the hill where each episode is just another day in the life. The season told a story and gave a look at life in an era that I wasn't born in with obvious exaggeration. I really dig it

Every time frank just goes apeshit I would get a smile on my face. Show has real potential

So watched all 6 episodes. I love the intro but the show isn't funny. I literally laughed 0 times. Shame too as I was really looking forward to the show before it came out.

I'm more interested in the fact that you watched 6 episodes of a comedy show you never laughed once at. Do you not value your time?

Remember, you can always hit stop.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Really loved the show. It's a great representation of a real family. The characters are amazing. While the humour is quite subtle, it has more impact.

FiggyCal

Banned
Hated it. It's using the Seth McFarlane formula for a family sitcom. A lot of excessive cursing as well; which I guess is supposed to make up for the lack of good jokes.

Hated it. It's using the Seth McFarlane formula for a family sitcom. A lot of excessive cursing as well; which I guess is supposed to make up for the lack of good jokes.

I thought it was the opposite of Seth McFarlane's brand of (shit) comedy. This tells a story with some warmth to it, with relatively believable characters. I'm glad they didn't go over board with the jokes. I hate Family Guy, I don't like American Dad either, but I managed to sit through this. Reminded more of King of the Hill.

It's not really a Seth MacFarlane formula. Because his formula is more cutaways in family Guy and in American dad his team is just having fun with the characters making jokes.

This is closer to king of the hill where they aren't making the characters say witty jokes but depending on the situation you'll laugh

Watched the first 3 episodes and enjoyed it. Disappointed it's so short.

I just like to hear Bill scream in general tho so I might be biased

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Watched three episodes so far. I was born a few years after this show is supposed to take place and my family was a lot poorer than the one on this show, but except the part where they buy a big color TV it was like a documentary about my life, down to the smallest details. The biggest differences were that the dad works at a civilian airport and my dad worked at a Navy airfield and that I heard all the stories about guys who had gotten mulched by aircraft but didn't actually see video.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Man, just when it was starting to get into a groove, it ends. I really enjoyed the series. I thought it was funny and it had some great characters.

I hope they pick this up for another season.

Also, Billy got the short end of the stick twice (bathroom and bedroom scenes).

So, I watched the first 4 episodes but I'm giving up. I just haven't really laughed at all and Bill Burr is one of my favorite comedians ever. I can relate to what is going on in the show, but nothing really funny happens.

samuelfortner

Neo Member
So, I watched the first 4 episodes but I'm giving up. I just haven't really laughed at all and Bill Burr is one of my favorite comedians ever. I can relate to what is going on in the show, but nothing really funny happens.
My thoughts exactly. I wanna like it because of my favorite comedian but I just cant do it. Part of the reason is that any moment where the main characters kids are on screen just isn't funny.

ElRenoRaven

Yup that was my problem. Bill Burr is a funny guy and I can relate to the show but you keep watching going ok I'm going to laugh. I know it. I'm going to laugh. Then final episode hits and bam you haven't. Also as someone else mentioned it seems to start to get in a groove and then the show just ends. It's just weird. It's like there were supposed to be more episodes but there aren't.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I really really liked this season. For the first time in my life I have true emotions for cartoon characters. This isn't like the Simpsons or king of the hill where each episode is just another day in the life. The season told a story and gave a look at life in an era that I wasn't born in with obvious exaggeration. I really dig it

Every time frank just goes apeshit I would get a smile on my face. Show has real potential

I felt the same way. It was a year in the life of a dysfunctional family and while it was raunchy it also had a lot of heart.

Moze

Banned
Bojack Horseman it is not. It is ridiculously generic and just completely unfunny. Cancel this nonsense and get somebody to create an original, funny series.

How the fuck has it got 8.2 on IMDb?

I was born in 72 and raised in the 70s/80s, so I can relate to most of the stuff that happenned when the series took place (while I am not from US most things are quite universal. Color TVs, music, church, etc. Even sort of abusive father.

I liked the series more for its settings than for the funny moments, which are overtaken by the dick moments. It is like a memory lane show, not a funny show.

Also, the continuity between episides is great, the season told a story as a whole, a moment in the period of a family.

A lot of characters aren't even characters but just archetypes of characters. Some lazy writing going on, a lot of easy jokes and low roads taken over cleverness or depth, which is probably what bothered me most, very generic indeed. Like you can see hints that it could have been a better show but perhaps it was rushed. There were good parts but overall pretty low quality stuff. 6/10

Punished myself through this season. At best some episodes are mediocre, though the last episode was the "best" so it might be gaining steam if there are more seasons. Though with so much content available elsewhere I probably wont be coming back to this series.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bill and the production team pitched a second season to Netflix this week, nothing confirmed one way or another yet but he said he's feeling good about how it went.

jwk94

I was looking up stuff about Bill's dad, just seeing if there were any stories from his sets about the guy, and I found this clip from a storytelling revue from over a decade ago that is actually pretty emotional. He tells about a time where his dad fucked with him pretty bad, and he gets pretty choked up. Boy...

http://youtu.be/S8Ho1WWDECM

Do you chuckle at King of the Hill? This is key to knowing where you're coming from, a lot of people think that show isn't funny.

Man, that was really good (the video). Is there any more of that?

Ultimadrago

According to Wiki, Debi Derryberry.

Thanks! My sister called that they sounded like Jimmy Neutron.

On the show, it's certainly no Bojack Horseman, but it's okay. I would watch a second season for kicks. Maureen's Jetsons' themed "Meet Lord Jesus~" had me rolling.

bill0527

Bill Burr is one of my all time favorite comedians and I'll quote that mother fucker til the day I die.

But this show sucks.

I finished season 2 this morning. As solid as the first season, they really ramped up the vulgarity to an almost distracting degree though. Not enough to deter my enjoyment really, but you can tell they went out of their way. Last 15 minutes of the finale was so fucked up lol.

I finished season 2 this morning. As solid as the first season, they really ramped up the vulgarity to an almost distracting degree though. Not enough to deter my enjoyment really, but you can tell they went out of their way. Last 15 minutes of the finale was so fucked up lol.

I still have 3 episodes to go, but I feel the same way. The vulgarity surpassed the cinical family critique. The went out of their way really.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
oh shit season 2 is out.

netflix needs to give me a bit of a break.

so many shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom