• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

DD

I've noticed this before, but only now I'm trying it for real. I was watching the AI cars through the TV Feed at the pits (what an amazing feature!) and noticed that the cars were using one gear up on the turns. For example, in a turn that I'd go in 3rd gear, they're in 4th. I thought they were being conservative, but now I know that I was being too aggressive instead, destroying my tires at the exit of the turn. I don't know how much time I was gaining or losing doing this, but I'll run some tests tonight. All I know is that in the first career that I've abandoned because hard was too easy, I was suffering to pass the tire tests at Sochi, and yesterday o got maximum points without sweating. And it's actually easier to drive like this! =O

Hell, this could be why I was struggling to run without a bit of traction control...

Zaru

That's interesting.

Especially since I'm in Baku right now. Somehow, I'm losing tyre life when accelerating on straights, even if I set automatic gears and full TC. What could be the cause of that?

DD

That's interesting.

Especially since I'm in Baku right now. Somehow, I'm losing tyre life when accelerating on straights, even if I set automatic gears and full TC. What could be the cause of that?

Some circuits have this this characteristic of eating the tires. Sometimes it's due the asphalt or its layout. In Baku's case, I don't remember the tires being an issue in real life, but maybe Codemasters tried to simulate a slippery super green asphalt mixed with the stress provoked at the exit of the many 90º turns that circuit has.

I have yet to race there in the game. I only did Melbourne, Bahrein, Shanghai and Sochi, then I restarted the career and now I'm back to Sochi. O do 45 min of FP1 & PF2, 30 min of FP3, full qualy sessions and 50% race, so it's time consuming. =/

Fox Mulder

I restarted mine too. Bumped up the difficulty and don't use rewind. Way more real results in a Renault now. Only got half a lap in Bahrain until I crashed out racing with Alonso.

LordAmused

Gosh this game looks good...Except for the skyboxes! They definitely need some help.
Taken on my PC at 1440p.

20160917130100_1l1urq.jpg

DavidDesu

My PS4 is downloading update 1.05... wonder if there's any big changes?

EDIT: Decided not to be lazy

Morning all!

We've got patches coming on all platforms in the next few days, and so in preparation here's the patch notes for v1.5.0

- Updated vehicle appearance for Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Manor, Renault, Force India and Toro Rosso

-Made adjustments to relative performance of teams and drivers based upon 2016 results so far.

-Stability improvements for all game modes

-Various Multiplayer Fixes

-Various graphical bug fixes

-Various other bug fixes

As usual, anything you spot that doesn't work in the way it should, or any bugs or glitches you find, please let us know in this thread!

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/46503/patch-notes-v1-5-0

LilJoka

Had an amazing race at Baku, was about to pass Vettel on the last lap on the last straight and I run out of fuel! I was side by side and then the car slows down lol.

My game seems to encounter random slow down combined with stutter every so often. Anyone had this?

Got this game a couple of hours ago and it made me remember that I'm really bad at racing sims.

Like really bad. I'm playing on the lowest difficulty with full assist and I can't do a race start without crashing into at least one other car and I finished last place.

Maybe I should get a racing wheel.

Zaru

My qualifying in Germany would have been a real thriller on TV.

Suddenly rain at the start of Q2, everyone doing laps on intermediates. I expected things to remain that way but conditions became dry in the last few minutes and half of the grid got completely caught off-guard. The Mercs didn't set faster laps in time and got kicked out in Q2, and I had a mini heart attack when I saw that I was the fastest person on inters ... at P10. So the championship leader barely made it into Q3 with a 10 second gap and the Mercs had to do a risky one-stop strategy that somehow pushed them both onto the podium.

Fox Mulder

Just got the patch.

Noticed they gave the merc the s duct, but still have the wrong nose. Rewind doesn't move at 1 fps anymore too.

Alright, I turned the difficulty up to hard and almost all the assists off for bahrain because I figured if I'm going to fail I might as well fail well and I actually ended up starting in pol position and finishing the race in first position as well.

Weird.

I'm enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would.

LilJoka

I really love this game. Codies did a great job.
I wish I could save the replays as I had some awesome side by side and overtaking moments.

Alright, I turned the difficulty up to hard and almost all the assists off for bahrain because I figured if I'm going to fail I might as well fail well and I actually ended up starting in pol position and finishing the race in first position as well.

Weird.

I'm enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would.

For some reason Bahrain is always a bit easier.

For me the biggest cheats are traction, then braking line, then ABS.

When I'm struggling with the quali target I use the braking line.

If I'm really struggling I use medium Tcs.

Happy to leave ABS off since I started playing.

I am racing with rewind enabled as otherwise I would get DNF all races lol Sometimes I really push to my limit!

DavidDesu

So I learned the hard way, the game doesn't auto save immediately once a race is finished. It only does this AFTER the screen where you can watch the replay. So if you watch the replay then switch off your console (and play something else) your race result isn't saved and you need to do it all over again... they need to fix that.

The ability to save replays would be great too.

Also in my re-run of Bahrain I came across another issue. I decided to change my tyre choice on the fly so instead of super softs for my last stop I decided to keep softs again. Obviously I must have been out of my allocation because when I came in, I left with a pair of softs with the exact same tyre wear as before. Had to stop again for the SS next lap :(

The game REALLY needs to be cleverer here and let me know this. I would love a truly clever engineer assisting you. Maybe I should have known about my tyre allocation but frankly, in the heat of the moment that's not likely to happen, lol. If this game had a proper engineer and not one that told you the weather was fine but if it changes he'll tell me (on the last lap!) that would be a huge improvement. I'd love to hear about the tactics others are on, or could be on. The info you can request doesn't really help you out much.

Saying all this still absolutely loving this game. Bahrain is such a great track! All this time following real F1 I constantly slagged it off.. I never knew. I never knew.

Zaru

The latest patch really mixed up performance levels.
Seems to change the base levels of the teams even in the middle of a career season. Now the top 3 teams in my career are all pretty much equal (Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes) followed by my upgraded Renaults.

The joke is... despite this, my race in Monza ended up bringing me, Bottas and Alonso onto the podium due to using a safety car to make less stops, which was clearly the better strategy.

I have not yet been disadvantaged by my strategy calls. Ferrari, I'm open for hire.

Fox Mulder

Ferrari has fallen to 4th in my career, I lol'd.

Had a weird bug where the game crashed after q3 was done with me on p1, but it then placed me p11 for the race like I never made it out of q2.

Oh well.

Randdalf

Finally finished my first season, a mix of Hard then Expert as Manor, I finished 6th in the championship and Manor finished 4th in the constructors. I decided to stick with them, because the only team offer above Manor was Haas and I had a lot of upgrades to spend which would outclass them. I finished 2nd in Abu Dhabi, my second podium on Expert after Monza.

(ignore the races before the British Grand Prix, they were on Hard)

Kimi absolutely destroyed everyone else, which was nice to see. Towards the end it felt like Hamilton or Rosberg had an engine failure nearly every race.

Next season will be my first full season on expert, and in Bahrain, we'll be the 4th fastest car on the grid after the upgrades arrive, so it will be fun to see how well I can do.

Just picked up this game. Are the controller settings posted earlier in the thread still the best ones at the moment or have I missed an updated one?

I was happy the day I created them and just as happy 6 years later...

Yeah, I tried them out and they are pretty good. Thanks!

Here's a novice question: Is there a more efficient way to quickly straighten up after spinning out to a full stop? The turning radius is obviously pretty bad for that so I lose even more time arcing around the place.

Putty

Yeah, I tried them out and they are pretty good. Thanks!

Here's a novice question: Is there a more efficient way to quickly straighten up after spinning out to a full stop? The turning radius is obviously pretty bad for that so I lose even more time arcing around the place.

I can't remember when I last span out BUT yes, if you go wide on a track like Baku for example your race is pretty much screwed BECAUSE the turnin angle just isn't enough...F1 drivers usually do a quick 180 then back on their way...In this you have to reverse, but even then steering angle at slow speed is painfully inaccurate.

LordAmused

Anybody had engine failures so far in Career Mode? Button had one but I am yet to succeed in my attempts to make something happen.

Zaru

It's funny that Jeff actually tells you to turn your engine down and save it for the next race when you're too far ahead. Does that even make a difference, game mechanic wise?

And I only got that far ahead because of strategy. Singapore with rain starting 1/3 in. I was the only one "clever" enough to make the first tyres last until the rain and then take those intermediates to the end. Lapped everyone but Verstappen who was 100+ seconds behind. Even at 50% that monster lasted 63 minutes! The AI seems a bit too eager to swap tyres which doesn't really work out as intended below 100% distance.

And I just saw that you can get a "Sponsor Bonus" in form of 300 research points for the first time? Wonder what the requirements are.

DD

It's incredible how Monaco feels inappropriate for F1, and that's preciselly why it is so amazing! It's also interesting to notice how much fun it is to drive there, but also frightening when you have to push hard for a fast lap.

Just did my first race there. P8 at the start and finished in P7 in Trulli Train style! :D

391040_20160925204518ejk16.jpg

Fox Mulder

And I just saw that you can get a "Sponsor Bonus" in form of 300 research points for the first time? Wonder what the requirements are.

For exceeding expectations or whatever. I've got it twice as Renault in one season.

It's incredible how Monaco feels inappropriate for F1, and that's preciselly why it is so amazing! It's also interesting to notice how much fun it is to drive there, but also frightening when you have to push hard for a fast lap.

Monaco is going to be awful with the new regulations next year. Longer, wider, heavier cars with fatter tires. Around that track. Lol.

Zaru

Just did my first race there. P8 at the start and finished in P7 in Trulli Train style! :D

As if taken from real life. Here's Jarno Trulli in a yellow car trulli training the midfield

u9NVwnn.jpg

For exceeding expectations or whatever. I've got it twice as Renault in one season.
I wonder what "exceeding expectations" means since they told me it was for "consistent" performance. I won the championship with 5 races to go, in a RENAULT (yeah I know time to up the difficulty), so any expectations they've had must have been shattered to hell and back

Undead

391040_20160925204518ejk16.jpg

I have no love for Monaco, every "race" feels like nothing more than a glorified parade where the winner is mostly decided during qualifying, it hasn't been able to support a proper F1 race for years.

Would much rather have Imola back in rotation instead of Monaco but we all know Bernie and most of the team bosses would have heart failure if they didn't get their Monaco money.

BTW, is there supposed to be pixelation during Baku? it happens when coming into the lighter areas around the track

DD

Monaco is going to be awful with the new regulations next year. Longer, wider, heavier cars with fatter tires. Around that track. Lol.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I was hitting the rear tire at the barriers and spinning a few times during the FPs, haha!

As if taken from real life. Here's Jarno Trulli in a yellow car trulli training the midfield

u9NVwnn.jpg
Bwahaha!

I have no love for Monaco, every "race" feels like nothing more than a glorified parade where the winner is mostly decided during qualifying, it hasn't been able to support a proper F1 race for years.

Would much rather have Imola back in rotation instead of Monaco but we all know Bernie and most of the team bosses would have heart failure if they didn't get their Monaco money.
Yeah, the races aren't that fun. What I meant was that it is so crazy that it actually feels awesome to drive around once you get it. Having a wheel helps a lot. To be honest, I used to hate Monaco in F1 2010, 11, 12 and 13, when I used to play with a X360 pad. Now I have a G27, so things improved. The car feels like a tiger in a cage. It wants to fly, but doesn't have the room for that.

About Imola, it doesn't look the kind of track that would provide lots of overtaking opportunities. But, man, I love that circuit. :c

I'm really loving this game. Learning all the circuits again yet having a somewhat intuitive knowledge from having watched them so often. Playing with Hard AI, automatic gears and medium traction control because I want fun hah.

It's a cool moment when you practice and qualify on a dry track and then it rains on race day and you're stuck trying to adapt your racing.

Nyx

Sometimes the safety car seems to fuck up, I got a message that I needed to overtake it and then after I did I got a message that I needed to give back the position.

Then I see all people in front of me (the top 4) getting disqualified and then me too.

Luckily I saved 2 laps before that happened, so I hope to be able to finish the GP later.

DD

Terrible race in Montreal. Started in P10 (crashed like an idiot at the end of Q2 and accepted it, losing the Q3) and chosed a one stop strategy, starting with ultra softs and doing the rest with softs. I don't know why, but I had terrible tire degradation there, so I had to do an extra pit stop for a new set of ultra softs to get to the end. The extra stop made me lose a lot of places, falling to P18. Managed to get to 16th place at the final few laps.

Some screenshots to get this thread going. :3

391040_20161001142449hosxm.jpg

391040_20161001143911wys78.jpg

391040_20161001142355losrs.jpg

391040_20161001142252y2s0v.jpg

LordAmused

I jumped to mclaren in my career and that honda engine purrs.

Oh yeah, I think it's the best sound in the game/Real life.

That's why I'm working my way through Career with McLaren. Now in Baku, goddamn it's fun, incredibly fast but really technical.

Would really love to see Azerbaijan become a permanant entry in the Official Calender soon. I guess it mostly depends on social stability locally.

Nice to see some pictures in here. Need more haha!

EDIT

Some pictures in Baku, driving my NO.37 McLaren Honda. Taken on PC.

20161001220231_152ukj.jpg

20161001220540_14pukk.jpg

20161001220658_1qxu16.jpg

20161001220647_1mmuhk.jpg

DD

PC v1.6.0 - Patch Notes

Patch notes

Added the Master difficulty option to bridge the gap between Expert and Legend.
Changed the tyre rules so the tyre you start the race on counts as a mandatory for the race.
Falling too far behind penalties will no longer be given after being told to overtake the Safety Car.
Corrected a few translation issues.
Fixed a bug that could occasionally cause race sessions to never end.
Fixed a number of crash bugs.

Console patches will be forthcoming but they're going to be a few more days at least. We'll keep you posted about those.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/47130/pc-v1-6-0-patch-notes

Zaru

Added the Master difficulty option to bridge the gap between Expert and Legend.

Sweet. I'm starting to obliterate Expert and am about to finish my first season so I'll probably do my next one on Master with half traction control.

legbone

Bah... It's between Hard and Expert they need to add a new difficulty.

yep. that's where i'm at as well. they need one there.

now that the game has been out a while, i'll ask again:

can you switch teams more than once during a career? let's say i want to go from renault to mclaren to ferrari, can it be done. i know you can be fired so i would assume you could. anyone done it yet?

Zaru

Quite a few people aren't happy with the fact that the R&D maxes out and will eventually reach the full bar for every team. Not to mention how many of them you can (and have to if you don't want to fall back) buy in season 1.

Codemasters has yet to really address this issue - and it's hard to find a decent solution.

Of course, the thing is that only a small amount of players will play more than 3 seasons. Just the first season already kept me busy for around 50 hours. And I'm kind of curious if world champion Haryanto is a possibility.

Fox Mulder

You can eventually raise any team up to the top, but when the upgrades max for everyone, it's basically a reset to season one rankings.

It's fine that upgrades max out, the issue is that they are earned and installed way to fast really.

Ryne

I'm a little slow at singapore, is this common or am I really just slow at that track?

I constantly qualify top 5 in a renault on legend, but cant get in the top ten in singapore.

Fox Mulder

yep. that's where i'm at as well. they need one there.

now that the game has been out a while, i'll ask again:

can you switch teams more than once during a career? let's say i want to go from renault to mclaren to ferrari, can it be done. i know you can be fired so i would assume you could. anyone done it yet?

Yes. I went from Renault to Mclaren, but got another offer to jump to Mercedes, Ferrari, or Williams as a number 2 driver or stay.

Xieldos

Does anyone have any tips for Monaco? I'm pretty good everywhere else but I struggle so much when it comes to Monaco.

Top Bottom