• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook acquires Beat Saber developer Beat Games

Mista

Banned
Beat-Games_11-26-19.jpg

Facebook has acquired Beat Saber developer Beat Games, the company announced

While Beat Games will join Oculus Studios, it will continue to operate as an independent studio, as well as continue to ship content and updates for Beat Saber across all currently supported platforms.

“Beat Games’ accomplishments are already impressive, but Facebook and the Beat Games team know that there is so much more that can be done across VR, games, and music,” said Oculus director of content Mike Verdu in a blog post. “They have only scratched the surface with Beat Saber in terms of social features, new modes, music, and more. We are thrilled to join forces to see where this talented team takes VR gaming in the future.”

Verdu also mentioned that the company is “exploring many ways to accelerate virtual reality,” and that “next year is going to be an incredible one of virtual reality game launches and announcements.”
Gematsu

McCheese

Surely they made enough money from beatsabre to fund whatever they wanted to do next, so I'm curious what this is about.

Maybe the owners just want to cash out and enjoy life?

I have a bad feeling about this
Consider that Oculus as a company went south after Facebook, I say that is well founded. The issue is that Facebook is not in the gaming buisness, the same as Google; they are in the data collecting business. And we already saw how Google messed up Stadia because of their data collecting focus. So I expect Beat Games to suffer the same kind of neglect.

so this mean they going to be collecting beat data then link this data with facebook so they can find out who on the facebook platform is a wife beater?

Zannegan

Wow. That is a bad move for VR as a whole. On the other hand, it shouldn't be hard to clone and enhance. It's just a shame to leave the guys who imagined the niche/subgenre behind.

I really wish Facebook would keep its filthy paws off interesting emerging products and technologies. These acquisitions don't make me like Facebook's platform any more, they just make me lose interest in the thing I was once hyped over.

JLB

Banned
Kinda makes sense. Its THE best VR game, specially for casuals, right now. Like the killer app for Quest.

Top Bottom